Prev Next
Re: 100 Mile OWS Underway [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:
dyarab wrote:
Damn. That's nuts.
This may be a stupid question, and the answer is probably obvious... but how does she sight at night? A lead vessel?

You can put glowsticks on the kayak and then swim well off to the side of it. Give the Kayak the bearing and then the swimmer just stays X feet off to the side. We did this swimming across Tahoe starting at 4 am and it worked great. Told the kayak to paddle pretty much due north and I just tracked off the side of the kayak.
Interesting to see the new wetsuit rule. I'm glad for it. As a triathlete, we try to keep our weight down and then suffer in the long cold water swims. But dedicated channel swimmers just fatten up and are essentially wearing a wetsuit anyway. I never liked being penalized for eating healthy and keeping weight down. I'm not quite sure I believe that new rule is real though until I see it in print... "no wetsuits, no matter what" is pretty entrenched in their culture.

Totally agree that OW purists will never accept FINA's new ruling but here is their memo on wetsuits from 11 Jan 2017. I've put the most relevant parts in bold text for faster reading. FINA only allows wetsuits at temps below 20*C (68*F), which is still pretty cold IMO.

Ok. I have a more stupider question. When do you have to follow FINA? I get it if you are trying to qualify for the OWS olympic event, but for somebody like this gal swimming 100 miles, does FINA apply? I guess no more naked ice swimming for you northerners.

I believe the FINA rules only apply to U.S. Swimming and Masters Swimming-sanctioned events, plus of course international OWS events sanctioned by FINA. The FINA rules certainly would not apply to this 104 mile swim, even if the water were below 68* F. As I said in my reply to zentribrett, i think the new rules are causing a big rift between the OW traditionalists and the FINA level competitive side of OWS.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Mile OWS Underway [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SailorSam wrote:
Water temps are 70+ up here at the moment (Lake Champlain that is). We had a couple of cool nights, though, so it could be borderline.
I saw her swim by our beach yesterday. Well, I saw her entourage since she was well off the beach and I was using crappy binoculars. There was a 35+ foot sailboat off to the side and a sea kayak behind/to the other side of her from what I could gather. I was amazed at how fast they were moving.
She lucked out immensely with the weather in my opinion. I'm a sailor (duh) and rarely see the lake this calm for this long. Even though we've had some showers/storms, the wind has been notably absent for well over 24 hours. It's also been overcast quite a bit which I think may be helpful from a sunburn-risk perspective. She's about 60 miles in at the moment...totally insane.

Very interesting, thanks for your on-the-water perspective. I would assume she has had weather experts advising her on when to give this swim a try. When swimming, I would think she's prob going around 2-2.5 mph. She's an incredibly talented distance swimmer to be able to keep this kind of pace up for 50-60 hours or more.

Quote Reply
Re: 100 Mile OWS Underway [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sarah's now past mile 80 on the tracker. Been averaging 1.7 mph since I first started watching this at mile 50 yesterday.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trying to follow along with the tracker. It worked fine for me yesterday but the page won't load this morning. Are any of you others able to open it? If so, where is she on the tracker today? Rooting for her despite not being able to follow along!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Mile OWS Underway [Rdracer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tracker won't load for me, either. Hope she's still plugging away at it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder what it would be like to swim in a wetsuit for 24 hours? chaphing issues?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: 100 Mile OWS Underway [Rdracer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks to be around mile 83 if the tracker is working right.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Mile OWS Underway [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow! thanks for the update!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Knowing how functional I am as I exceed 36 hrs awake, it boggles my mind that she will be going non-stop for ~63hrs with no sleep.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Mile OWS Underway [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
Knowing how functional I am as I exceed 36 hrs awake, it boggles my mind that she will be going non-stop for ~63hrs with no sleep.

She's at 54.5 hr and 90.6 miles right now. I would guess she's going on pure adrenaline and drive at this point. This girl has the HUNGER and the DRIVE in spades.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Has she broken the record already? Wasn't the recognized record somewhere around 80 miles?

This is incredible.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She's at 95 miles and still swimming!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Mile OWS Underway [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jebuz. So, she should finish around 1:30 AM ET? That would mean 65 hours of nonstop swimming. That is ~2 days and 17 hours. WOW.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure hope she makes it. Those tracker dots seems to be getting closer and closer together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
Wow. Has she broken the record already? Wasn't the recognized record somewhere around 80 miles? This is incredible.

Ya, she has already broken her own WR which was the 80-mi swim she did in Oct 2016 swimming across Lake Powell in Utah. This swim is the current WR acc to an article in the Mar/April 2017 issue of Swimmer, the official magazine of USMS.

Quote Reply
Re: 100 Mile OWS Underway [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I wonder what it would be like to swim in a wetsuit for 24 hours? chafing issues?

You'd have to put a LOT of Vaseline on to avoid chafing in a 24-hr wettie swim.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya, she has already broken her own WR which was the 80-mi swim she did in Oct 2016 swimming across Lake Powell in Utah. This swim is the current WR acc to an article in the Mar/April 2017 issue of Swimmer, the official magazine of USMS. //

I don't think it is true that she has broken the WR. As I recall you have to complete your swim, as in finish up the beach, it is not a gps distance out in the middle of the ocean or lake. Swims don't count unless they are finished, you do not get credit(officially) for any distance you did before a DNF..

Unless things have changed, that is how I believe it works.

Quote Reply
Re: 100 Mile OWS Underway [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ya, she has already broken her own WR which was the 80-mi swim she did in Oct 2016 swimming across Lake Powell in Utah. This swim is the current WR acc to an article in the Mar/April 2017 issue of Swimmer, the official magazine of USMS. //

I don't think it is true that she has broken the WR. As I recall you have to complete your swim, as in finish up the beach, it is not a gps distance out in the middle of the ocean or lake. Swims don't count unless they are finished, you do not get credit(officially) for any distance you did before a DNF..
Unless things have changed, that is how I believe it works.

OK, I stand corrected then.

Quote Reply
Re: 100 Mile OWS Underway [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

This is half true, half false.

True that GPS distances don't count, and true that a DNF cannot be a record.

However, since Sarah has already swum more than 80 miles (the previous record, also owned by her), and because of the shape of Lake Champlain, she could choose to turn in toward land at any time, exit the water, and finish the swim. This would not be a DNF, but rather, a route change. Therefore, if she turned in now, exited the water at a specific, definable point, it would be a new distance record, even if she didn't make it all the way back to the start.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Mile OWS Underway [abouheif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's near a peninsula right at the 100 mile mark. I wonder if she'll do that. Exit there for a 100 mile swim, or continue back to the dock she started from for the planned 104 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Mile OWS Underway [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way. She is so close. She'll finish.

I am just so glad she is finishing outside of work hours. This is a total distraction.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was the final time / avg pace? Amazing accomplishment.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Mile OWS Underway [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
What was the final time / avg pace? Amazing accomplishment.

Acc to the tracker, she swam 169.6 km (105.4 mi) in 67:15, or about 2.52 km/hr (1.57mph). Her total time includes time for refueling every 30 min or so. In her Oct 2016 swim where she set the previous WR, she went 81.8 mi in 56:05 (1.46 mph) but I believe she had more problems with a head wind in that swim. Acc to the USMS article I mentioned earlier, she almost gave up at 30 hr b/c she had only gone about 40 mi, and hence had more than 40 to go. Also, here's the link to the ST thread on that swim from last October; Sarah herself (Ssthomas) actually chimed in several times.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...im_P6098843/?page=-1

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw that she made it, what a grinder she is. She is single handily pushing the limits of ultra swimming. It would be interesting to see what she could accomplish in the ocean sometime.

And yes, she could have headed to shore anywhere after the 80 miles and still got the record. My point was that you have to have a start and a finish, but the finish can be mobile once the swim is underway. Lots of swims do not finish where they planed to, currents can be bastards sometimes.. That is why ocean swim crossings are so tricky, you usually don't have the luxury of just heading to shore. You are out in the open ocean and reaching land anywhere is usually not much easier than the finish you planned. We have opted several times to run with currents and swim longer courses(but faster) and just plan a finish wherever we ended up..
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Mile OWS Underway [abouheif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"quote abouheif"

I see what you did there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next