Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've got a good ITT in Gran Camino today. Venga, Tarling, et al. Looking to see how this one shakes out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it @WannaB, thanks.

As an aside, and not directed to anyone in particular but rather the whole thread, I've always appreciated the generally amicable and respectful tone of this thread (we even had "civil discourse" in a previous thread title). That atmosphere, along with the vast amount of cycling knowledge and experience, with a healthy dose of humour/irreverence, has made the various iterations of this thread consistently one of the better places on the internet. I resolve to do better at staying out of the muck moving forward. Carry on, gents.

Gran Camino, while not a super deep field teams-wise, will be interesting - VLAB, Ineos, EF all came to play in terms of GC, and we'll see today how much time Venga puts into of the likes of Bernal and the 'Paz today. Fingers crossed for a strong performance from Bernal in this race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

het volk
pidcock/kung/laporte
girmay/trentin

kbk
wout/demare/philipsen
mohoric/lazkano
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
As an aside, and not directed to anyone in particular but rather the whole thread, I've always appreciated the generally amicable and respectful tone of this thread (we even had "civil discourse" in a previous thread title). That atmosphere, along with the vast amount of cycling knowledge and experience, with a healthy dose of humour/irreverence, has made the various iterations of this thread consistently one of the better places on the internet.

AGREED!
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tarling might be Venga’s toughest test this week, not to take anything away from Rigo or Ritchie.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait...are we doing this with the times not being counted to GC and on road bikes?
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Omloop is closing in....a lot of the Spoilers are looking at each other....wondering who's going to take up the chase......there goes Spackler followed by Trail and Davis with some picks...hey Martin and Likes Bikes formally known as Burgles are in ..Mudge and echappist are shouldering one another and may get relegated........Wanna Be and buzz bridge across!......it's a strong group.....Phil is getting all the names wrong........McNulty is still looking around can't figure out how to play this.......there's a beer glass on the line so he's focused.....ww Peto do?....no one will work with him.....does he go for a flyer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw that. Yeah, high winds knocked out the stage and everyone will start on same time tomorrow.

So, old argument but why aren’t all TTs done on road bikes to level the field?
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just saw the shots of the sea and it looks treacherous.

As for TTs, no comment. I'm biased and love TT bikes though I would be opposed to occasional Merckx style.

Update: I'm actually loving this TT on road bikes.
Last edited by: likes_bikes: Feb 22, 24 7:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Tarling might be Venga’s toughest test this week, not to take anything away from Rigo or Ritchie.

Tarling was great. It looks like Venga soft pedaled since the day didn't count anyway. Smart I suppose.
Last edited by: likes_bikes: Feb 22, 24 8:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not the TT I expected with road bikes and no GC-time. Still entertaining. I love TT tech but like the Merckx style too, it certainly helps level the playing field for the smaller teams. One thing is when it's on road bikes, it's really clear who's going for it and who's just cruising home - on the TT bikes everyone is down in the skis, but on road bikes you can see a huge difference between the dudes who are in proper aero, flat forearms etc. and the guys who are riding in the drops with arms straight down.

This turn of events is of course good news for Ineos and EF's GC hopes in this race, makes the whole thing a little more interesting, cause it could have been over today if Venga blitzes it.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, what does proper aero on a road bike look like now that puppy paws are verboten?
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Angled shifters as much as allowed, skinsuits, TT helmets, flat arms, aero socks.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
So, what does proper aero on a road bike look like now that puppy paws are verboten?

Palms on the hoods (though you can push it a little, moving your arms forward and in so you're just hooking the hoods with your pinkies), forearms flat with elbows at 90 degrees, shoulders shrugged/neck turtled. Nothing new really. Remco's good at it (see images 1 and 6 in that post).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

its a shame gc was neutralized, that was a really nice tt and i love when they do them on road bikes.

feel bad for barta, he really sent that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:

Seems like the so called sphinx position (perpendicular elbow, hands on hoods).

As the self-admitted pedant, I'm not sure if the rules actually forbid puppy paws in time trials.

The current (2024 version) of the rules states (at sec 2.2.025):

Quote:
Position on the bicycle
Riders must observe the standard position as defined by article 1.3.008. Sitting on the
bicycle’s top tube is prohibited. Furthermore, using the forearms as a point of support on
the handlebar is prohibited except in time trials.

And the 2024 version of sec. 1.3.008 states:
Quote:
The rider shall normally assume a sitting position on the bicycle. This position requires
that the only points of support are the following: the feet on the pedals, the hands on the
handlebars and the seat on the saddle

Note the usage of "normally" (as opposed to something like almost always except in extenuating circumstances).
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

As the self-admitted pedant, I'm not sure if the rules actually forbid puppy paws in time trials.

According to the Max announcer, they're OK on a road bike in a TT. Forget who the announcer was.

And guys were clearly doing it.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I know we had a discussion about it for the ITT in 2023 Tour Down Under. A bit surprising that UCI choose not to clamp down further afterwards.

Though I must admit there's a possibility that what UCI meant was that the additional support point in the form of forearm and/or elbows is allowed in an ITT (given it named only three allowed support points for all other types of racing). However, onus is on UCI to state that position (pun intended) clearly, as opposed to word it in a somewhat ambiguous manner.

On a tangent, it took me 3-5 readings to figure out that you meant Max and not Cavendish the Manx rider. I'm still trying to get it sorted in my mind that the channel best known for Band of Brothers and Thrones now has cycling coverage.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Max and not Cavendish the Manx rider.

Once he retires, the Manx on Max would be a hell of an announcer. Someone would have to their finger on the mute button at all times.

@McNulty-Lord-of-Nicknames will be happy to know that Max is all-in with Orla.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:

Once he retires, the Manx on Max would be a hell of an announcer. Someone would have to their finger on the mute button at all times.

Tip of the hat on that nickname.

One wonders what would happen were Cav and McEwen in the same broadcasting studio. Don't think i've ever seen a broadcast team have two sprinters. Over what would they engage in argy-bargy? I think Sean Kelly is known for going on breaks to bring back coffee and baked sweets; would two sprinters headbutt each other over coffee and scones?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:

Manx on Max would be amazing...Cav has an amazing ability to recall the most minute details of races and has a good personality to comment.

Although yesterday was pretty funny. When the echelons were forming the chaos started and you could see an angry Cav screaming and pointing at riders to arrange themselves properly so they wouldn't get shelled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:

Max seems to have someone reading the room. Well done so far and, yeah I was dismayed to see no Orla at first but YES!
#femmepro

Cav and McEwen would be hilarious. Mark might need subtitles and a slight audio delay.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright I'm making my 'loop picks but holding off on KBK until I see how Saturday shakes out. No surprises with the podium. I think Tratnik is on form and King Kung is my rouleur pick (and was looking good last week)

Wout, De Lie, Piddles
Tratnik, Kung
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the reality of missing Oomloop due to my staunch anti-FloBikes stance is starting to settle in. And I don't like it. :/ broke down getting both max and peacock. which is fine. but just can't go Flo. I'll need med assist the closer we get to Flanders

cock-up before conspiracy
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoilers*** Bike racing spectator thread 2024 [CNullATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you, and i refuse to give Flo a single cent.

That said, it does have a monthly subscription of $30 now, compared to the outrage of $150 for not much more than some Flandrian races + Worlds. So all in, $90 as opposed to $150.
Quote Reply

Prev Next