Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Insert Month Here" Fish thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've picked up my training for the bike and run, and it shows in my swim.\\

Ha!!! Welcome to triathlon, and let me know when you figure out how to train at all 3 and not have at least one of them suffer...(-; I'm currently just running and biking once a week or so, but ready to add in one more of each. I'm sure my swimming will suffer, but hopefully the base I just built will be enough with some faster stuff to keep me on your feet all summer..
Quote Reply
Re: "Insert Month Here" Fish thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not the killer kicker. I think I swim with a fairly high turnover, thus my kick is a stabilizing type kick. But, yeah, I can tell when my legs are tired - I tend to try to 'reach' more, roll my body more. When I do that, though it feels more efficient, I get even more tired and slow down. I have to concentrate to shorten my stroke, keep the turnover high. Then I can keep my pace up.

And this made me think about doing my harder 500s. I need someone to watch me, but I believe my first 100 I have a very smooth, yet high stroke rate. The next 200, my stroke slows and lengthens. The next 100, it gets sloppy and splashy. Then the final 100, I get my act together, pick up the turnover, kick harder and look like a decent swimmer.

Swimming is the first thing I do in a day, so leg tiredness is a residual from whatever I did the day before. At my age, residual can sometimes last through the night.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: "Insert Month Here" Fish thread [QuadsofFURY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here was my Lunchtime workout. Thanks QoF.

500yd w/u @7:09
10 x 100yd @1:20-1:23 (:10)
200yd easy
10 x 50yd @:36-:40 (:10)
200yd w/d

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: "Insert Month Here" Fish thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
training and suffering mean the same thing, don't they?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh.

W/U: 400 free, 6x50 drill, 4x50 build, 100 easy

Main Set: 3x(5x100 @1:15, :30 after 5, 200 very easy, 1:30 after 200)

Went way too hard on the first set of 5, ended up missing the send-off for #5 on each the last two sets.
Quote Reply
Re: "Insert Month Here" Fish thread [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those sets tend to sneak up on you.

main set was 3x (4x50 on 45 + 200 cruise on 4:05).

I averaged 35s on all the 50s except for the last one. Somehow pulled out a 34.

finished with 3.2k

Bruce
ALBOPADS XTERRAWETSUITS NEWTON OAKLEY FIZIK GARMIN ROTOR COMPUTRAINER QUARQ HONEYSTINGER
Quote Reply
Re: "Insert Month Here" Fish thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I was able to talk two of the campers to swim instead of ride, so I had exactly 45 minutes to get in a swim. I just powered through to get the most yards possible;

100wu
30X100p, 1st 20 @ 1;20, then straight into 10@ 1;15- 1st 20, 1;12 to 1;10- last 10@ 1;15- 1;10 too 1;07.
100swim
100IM- 1;15

3300SCY
Quote Reply
Re: "Insert Month Here" Fish thread [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope you enjoyed. Tomorrow, my favorite OW workout, but never tried it in a pool . 12x300 with a twist.

Quote | Reply
run: 5 mi (44 min, easy mileages)
walk: 2.5 mi at an incline (good for glutes)
swim: 1700 yardages

Swim would've been longer, I felt good, but I was hypoglycemic :-(

300 w/u
2 x [4 x 75 kdsw(fast!) + 150 pull]
2 x 150 as k.dr,100sw

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sugar (do do do do do do) awww, honey honey....

I had an epiphany about my swimming schedule... I'm salaried, so I decided to get an extra 15 minutes in the mornings and just stay 15 more minutes at the end of my work.

500 free
5x150 on 2:00 - 1:50/:54/:51/:49/:46
4x100 various kick
10x50 free on :40 from :31 to :35
100 cool down

2250 scyardages

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(I hate seeing that "p" next to your sets)

2/10:

3x(600 on 8:30, 4x100 on 1:25, 100 easy on 1:50); 7:55/7:32/7:25, 100s @1:12-10

3300 scy in 47:35

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: "Insert Month Here" Fish thread [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

What does the "p" mean?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(I hate seeing that "p" next to your sets)\\

How about if the next one has Fly next to it, make you feel any better??? (-;
Quote Reply
Re: "Insert Month Here" Fish thread [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Quote:

What does the "p" mean?

"Pansy" :-)

(actually, it means "pull". Right, monty? And that means pull buoy, or do you use paddles, too?)

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I pull it could be with or without buoy, but always with paddles. I used to use the large trash can lids, but now use the intermediate size, as my old shoulders could not take that much force anymore.. The buoy does'nt make me any faster, but does help me keep a lower HR on really long sets. Actually if I want to go fast, I leave it on the deck and use my kick with the paddles, now you are talking...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
When I pull it could be with or without buoy, but always with paddles. I used to use the large trash can lids, but now use the intermediate size, as my old shoulders could not take that much force anymore.. The buoy does'nt make me any faster, but does help me keep a lower HR on really long sets. Actually if I want to go fast, I leave it on the deck and use my kick with the paddles, now you are talking...

Dude, all this time I've been giving you the benefit of the doubt! All those times now make sense. Let's see a Real 500 (tm).

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I honestly have no idea what I could do for a 500 right now. On a set a couple weeks ago I did 6x500 of various stuff and the first one was a 6;07s at about 85%. You know how I like to swim, always descend my efforts, regardless of what I'm swimming or what toys I have on. So maybe close to what you did, but it is only talk until I actually do it, right???

My next big tt will be a 400IM, so that with the splits tells me pretty close to what I can do for a 500fr. Whatever I come home in the last 100 free +1 or 2 seconds, gives me my 500 avg pace..

But all that aside, pulling for me translates into much faster race times in the OW, and my butterfly swims. Probablty a sholder strenght thing, gets me through the non stop swimming of OW better than most. You would just hate my group at the pool too Ken. We have guys and gals that use fins the entire time to stay on interval, a 59 year old that never takes off the buoy, but even if he does for a tt, still kicks my ass, and another half of the 50+ guys using paddles to keep up with the 30+ and 40+ year olds that still swim 1;10 for a base anytime they feel like it. But no one cares what is going on with someone else, as long as everyone is in the right spot in the lane for whatever speed they can swim..

I did Hawaii 15 times, and mostly did 50 flat to 51+ every year, keeping up with guys that would lap me 4 or 5 times in the pool over that distance, and I pulled over 1/2 my workouts then too. Someone just posted up recently that our best OW pro guy pulls almost 100% of his workouts. It wasn't broke back then, so I figure why change now...
Quote Reply
Re: "Insert Month Here" Fish thread [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A not so fun hour.

3,600 scy

m=mod @1:30
h=hard @1:20

3(4x300 on 5:00) 300s by 100: (1)m,m,h (2)m,h,m (3) h,m,m (4)h,h,h

Last edited by: QuadsofFURY: Feb 10, 11 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: "Insert Month Here" Fish thread [QuadsofFURY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt that I can keep up with you on that one. But, I'll try to do as many 300's as I can tomorrow.

By the way, I need to take a break from running for a couple of days. I've been doing BarryP's 6x/week running since 11/8/10. I'm up to 45 miles/week right now and feel some minor shin splints coming on. There's no sense trying to be the champion of February.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you guys getting good results with mixing paddles into your sets? I'm looking for ways to increase upper body fitness and am wondering if paddles could speed that up a little.
Quote Reply
Re: "Insert Month Here" Fish thread [bryan913] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bryan913 wrote:
We actually did that as part of a workout we call the "pain train." Three people do the workout...
Swimmer A pushes off for a 100 all out. Swimmer B pushes off for a 50 easy, Swimmer C pushes off for a 50 easy.
As soon as swimmer A touches the wall from their 100 all out, Swimmer B pushes off for their 100 all out, Swimmer C does another 50 easy, Swimmer A does a 50 easy.
As soon as swimmer B touches, Swimmer C starts their 100 all out, Swimmer A pushes off for 50 easy, Swimmer B pushes off for 50 easy.

I read this the other day and it came in handy at today's workout. They reconfigured the pool for the girls HS state meet and we were swimming in the diving well and it was somewhere around 30 yards long. So we did a 5, 10, and 15 minute swim, mixing it up with every 4th lap drill, storke, or sprint, and/or combinations of the above.
With about 20 minutes left I suggested the pain train. Since there were only 3 of us it worked out well. At first I thought it was going to be too easy of a set but after a couple of rotations I felt the pain ;) Thanks for the idea!
Quote Reply
Re: "Insert Month Here" Fish thread [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, and glad you liked it.
I've found it be be a fairly appropriate amount of rest. You could still use more, but it is enough for you to get up to max speed. If you truly do the 100's all out, after 2 or 3 times through, it get tough. The most I've ever done is 12 rotations through. It'd be fun to go for 15 one day.
Quote Reply
Re: "Insert Month Here" Fish thread [key] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you guys getting good results with mixing paddles into your sets? I'm looking for ways to increase upper body fitness and am wondering if paddles could speed that up a little.\\

For some extra strenght and a high elbow focus, I get great results from paddles. Just be aware that all pulling is not created equal. I have found that good swimmers benifit from it the most as far as strenght building, but crappy strokes tend to fall into a front quadrant only type of pull. I take off the wrist strap so that there is no way for me to use them without high elbows, and I have to pull correctly the entire stroke. Give it a try and just keep tabs on your shoulders, tired is ok, but weakness or pain means ditch them for awhile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I had another 45 minute window today as one camper wanted to swim(lucky it was the boss) and I thought about you Ken, and your distaste for my workout choices. Still at altitude, but held the pulling down to just 2- 200's. Are you proud of me?? (-;

straight through, no breaks between anything

500 warm up- 6;22 @ 7;00 400 kick- 6;56@ 8;00/ 100swim@ 1;30- 1;15
2x(100swim/200IM broken at-50's @ 1;00/200pull@ 2;45/100 kick@ 2;00) 100's swim- 1;15;1;12/ IM's-fly-;33/;32-bk-;38/;38- brst- ;42/;40- free- ;31/;31- 200p's- 2;19/2;17- 100's kick- 1;45/1;40
5x100swim@ 1;30 descend- 1;15/1;14/1;11/1;10/1;06
200swim down

2900SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am having a big swimming focus for the next 3 weeks as have the sprint state champs (16-19)... Over 1500m I only losing 1:40 to the best swimmers (which is a managble gap thanks to biking strength) but over 500m I am losing 1min (game over for a sprint).... Hence more speedwork needed. All sessions are 2k's (LCM)

Warmup always 5x100m (swim-drill-paddles-drill-paddles) usually followed by a 400m time trial (flat out) unless I am doing my OD-HIM special the 500-400-300-200-100 w/20s rest.

Main sets are either:

2(5x100 with 15s rest)
4x 200 (mod-hard-mod-hard)
10x50m and 5x100m

Will be doing a 2k TT (with an eye to Aus Long Course Champs) and lots of 50m intervals over the coming weeks.

Last edited by: cannastar: Feb 11, 11 6:01
Quote Reply

Prev Next