Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: PTO Asian Open...Singapore [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will be interesting to see how the sickness issue that has popped up after this race will effect who decides to race it next year. A lot of athletes struggling through 70.3 Worlds and now Baekkegard pulling out of Nice because of it. Do we know if this was a water contamination thing or something different?
Quote Reply
Re: PTO Asian Open...Singapore [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt it was a waterborne illness. Many athletes have confirmed they got COVID (Kanute and Laidlow I know for sure). GI issues are a pretty common symptom from covid so I'm thinking anyone that got sick over there had/has it. Singapore is pretty isolated so it wouldn't be surprising if there was some specific strain circulating there that hit the western based athletes pretty hard
Quote Reply
Re: PTO Asian Open...Singapore [carrotguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how many of those going down sick from Singapore also did the US Open in Milwaukee. Many age groupers from Milwaukee came down sick with COVID including myself.
Quote Reply
Re: PTO Asian Open...Singapore [carrotguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carrotguy wrote:
I doubt it was a waterborne illness. Many athletes have confirmed they got COVID (Kanute and Laidlow I know for sure). GI issues are a pretty common symptom from covid so I'm thinking anyone that got sick over there had/has it. Singapore is pretty isolated so it wouldn't be surprising if there was some specific strain circulating there that hit the western based athletes pretty hard

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the men and women's swims were adjusted based on a water quality report.

The men got sick and the women didn't.

To suggest it's in the air or what they ate beggers belief if the above facts are true.

Ironic (but not at all surprising) considering how hyped up the water is supposed to be clean there. It raises some awkward questions for the PTO that I'm sure some people don't want to have:

The water quality test allegedly failed so you moved locations slightly (correct if i'm wrong) to get a clean test-- isn't this negligent? You know, water flows and moves. What kind of transparency is to be demanded when your testing process cripples multiple pros and costs them multiple races down stream from your event?

Will Singapore be on the list next year? How can athletes trust they won't ruin their season again if they trust your testing?

What would cause PTO to cancel a race? Clearly not a failed test (if my understanding is correct that it failed) because apparently PTO will just go around sampling other sources in the same water until they get the results they want.

I'm really surprised there aren't more upset by this.
Quote Reply
Re: PTO Asian Open...Singapore [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The women’s water quality report didn’t come till after the race and there was an area near the swim exit that wasn’t up to standards. They moved the age groupers on the men’s day to a different exit but got a water quality test before the pro men and moved the swim exit back to the original exit that the women also used. I’m sure part of it was all the branding they had set up at the exit they didn’t want to move and if they kept the same exit as the age groupers the pro men would have her to put on shoes to run from the new swim exit to t1. Some weird rule in Singapore.
Quote Reply

Prev Next