Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 9 watts article [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
thank you. perhaps you can explain this, because i've asked it and i'm just not getting an answer that i make it thru my thick skull. reader error i'm sure. if the plastic innertube acts as a damper, measurably beyond what you'd find in a latex tube, why is it as fast? or faster actually than most latex tubes? do i misunderstand that the increase in a material's ability to act as a damper is analogous to the increase in hysteresis, then why - even on drums with proud features, especially on those drums - don't plastic tubes test measurably more poorly?

Similarly to what others have already clarified, I was writing on the basis that, on average, a generic latex tube tests faster than a generic plastic tube. If two particular models test the same, then in this particular case, the two tubes should have the same "damping coefficient". This is what manufacturers of plastic inner tubes should be shooting for (or even targeting being faster than latex). Together with engineering the wall thickness appropriately, achieving this will come from their own recipe for polymer production and e.g. how it affects the interaction between the polymer chains (for instance this could be for creating more bonding cross-linking).

To continue de-conflating terminology, perhaps part of your original problem with the concepts comes from the perception of the two types of inner tube in the hand. Latex tubes are very flexible – not much force is needed to strain (i.e. "stretch") them by a certain amount. They are also very elastic (in the technical sense), in that they can be strained significantly before reaching a limit and suffering permanent damage or distortion. These two properties will make them feel "stretchy". I'm guessing that plastic tubes, in contrast, are both stiffer (more force needed for a certain strain) and cannot be strained as much before reaching a limit (less elastic). This will make them feel more rigid in the hand. However, while these contrasting properties can make a functional difference both to ease of installation and to the ability to conform to objects penetrating a tyre, they are not directly relevant to energy loss when riding. This instead derives from their respective "damping coefficients". Note that, given their very different stiffness and elasticity, likely this "damping coefficient" would be very hard to judge "in the hand". Indeed, the perception of their properties in the hand could be misleading, with what might seem like a logical conclusion from it being incorrect. This could be somewhat akin to the common misconception that increasing spoke tension makes for a stiffer wheel...
Quote Reply
Re: 9 watts article [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duncan wrote:
Slowman wrote:

thank you. perhaps you can explain this, because i've asked it and i'm just not getting an answer that i make it thru my thick skull. reader error i'm sure. if the plastic innertube acts as a damper, measurably beyond what you'd find in a latex tube, why is it as fast? or faster actually than most latex tubes? do i misunderstand that the increase in a material's ability to act as a damper is analogous to the increase in hysteresis, then why - even on drums with proud features, especially on those drums - don't plastic tubes test measurably more poorly?

Similarly to what others have already clarified, I was writing on the basis that, on average, a generic latex tube tests faster than a generic plastic tube. If two particular models test the same, then in this particular case, the two tubes should have the same "damping coefficient". This is what manufacturers of plastic inner tubes should be shooting for (or even targeting being faster than latex). Together with engineering the wall thickness appropriately, achieving this will come from their own recipe for polymer production and e.g. how it affects the interaction between the polymer chains (for instance this could be for creating more bonding cross-linking).

To continue de-conflating terminology, perhaps part of your original problem with the concepts comes from the perception of the two types of inner tube in the hand. Latex tubes are very flexible – not much force is needed to strain (i.e. "stretch") them by a certain amount. They are also very elastic (in the technical sense), in that they can be strained significantly before reaching a limit and suffering permanent damage or distortion. These two properties will make them feel "stretchy". I'm guessing that plastic tubes, in contrast, are both stiffer (more force needed for a certain strain) and cannot be strained as much before reaching a limit (less elastic). This will make them feel more rigid in the hand. However, while these contrasting properties can make a functional difference both to ease of installation and to the ability to conform to objects penetrating a tyre, they are not directly relevant to energy loss when riding. This instead derives from their respective "damping coefficients". Note that, given their very different stiffness and elasticity, likely this "damping coefficient" would be very hard to judge "in the hand". Indeed, the perception of their properties in the hand could be misleading, with what might seem like a logical conclusion from it being incorrect. This could be somewhat akin to the common misconception that increasing spoke tension makes for a stiffer wheel...

thank you. you're a good teacher. it all makes sense. i guess the question i had - and still have, even after the deconflation of terms of art - is that it seems to me that if the plastic is less elastic, it lacks the capacity to, as you put it,"conform to objects." it is less likely to intake a road imperfection; more likely to roll over it. if both tires are inflated to the same pressure - exhibit the same hardness, the same resistance to deformation - it may well be that this is not an important feature of the tube. but obviously there is deformation of the tire, or else there would be scant benefit to the pneumatic tire, and obviously the deformation of the tube is an issue with which to be reckoned, as directly relates to the capacity of the latex tube to outperform a butyl tube.

i don't mean to be pedantic. i've been riding bikes since the 1970s and i've never seen a plastic innertube. now i have 2 pairs of them, that i'm getting ready to part with, and when you hold these in our hands what you realize is that there is nothing even close to the elasticity as you have with a latex or butyl tube. i am very surprised it tests as well as it does.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i've never seen a plastic innertube. now i have 2 pairs of them, that i'm getting ready to part with, and when you hold these in our hands what you realize is that there is nothing even close to the elasticity as you have with a latex or butyl tube.

When you write "elasticity" here, do you mean that they are much stiffer – i.e. harder to stretch a certain amount – or that you cannot stretch them nearly as far? Curious.
Quote Reply
Re: 9 watts article [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

And...to be fair, isn't the previous model being compared to using tube shapes/depths that conform to the UCI rules of the time? If so, gaining ~9W by just using deeper, more complete aero sections isn't too surprising.

I recall having a conversation with Brad DeVaney at Interbike one year right after the initial Trek Speed Concept was introduced. He told me he'd taken an SC and 3D printed "tails" for the rear of each of the truncated foil sections to basically complete the airfoils. He said that with those tails attached, it was uber-fast...considerably more than 10W @ 45kph "faster" IIRC....

I'm going to need some pictures of the bike or CAD files for those 3D printed parts :p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
That said, I have no experience with them.

If the tubes have similar damping, then the "ride feel" is going to be more a function of the tire construction and pressures selected.

would you like to have some experience with them?

I'm using plastic tubes in one of my cycling applications and anecdotally it's a less supple ride than tubeless on the same surfaces. Noticeably. No leak down though. N=1.

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: 9 watts article [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use these polyurethane tubes for some months on my training road bike. The tubes hold pressure much better than latex, however I think, thick butyl tubes still hold pressure a little bit better.

I tested them on my drum test rig. Rolling resistance is between butyl and latex, just like others have tested too. But in my tests they are closer to butyl than to latex (I would expect some damping from a thermoplastic). And they behave more like butyl than like latex, i.e. they have a stronger dependance from speed than latex (18-55km/h) (look at this interesting paper from Baldissera 2020 on rolling resistance). In applications where rolling resistance is king I would choose latex.
Last edited by: BergHugi: Dec 4, 20 5:00
Quote Reply
Re: 9 watts article [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BergHugi wrote:
I use these polyurethane tubes for some months on my training road bike. The tubes hold pressure much better than latex, however I think, thick butyl tubes still hold pressure a little bit better.

I tested them on my drum test rig. Rolling resistance is between butyl and latex, just like others have tested too. But in my tests they are closer to butyl than to latex (I would expect some damping from a thermoplastic). And they behave more like butyl than like latex, i.e. they have a stronger dependance from speed than latex (18-55km/h) (look at this interesting paper from Baldissera 2020 on rolling resistance). In applications where rolling resistance is king I would choose latex.

Interesting...did you mean to add a link to the Baldissera paper? I'd like to see that.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Along these lines........what out there would be any better at all if you had to pick something mechanical (not electronic) as a frameset better than my old Felt DA? Especially for yaw angles when avg about 28mph on flat land.

About the only thing I've remotely been interested in price wise is the RTTC champion's Ribble TT bike. It looks a smoking deal at $1500.

I lost an auction on a used P5 frameset, but probably a good thing. Looking back, it suspiciously looked like a probably Chinese faker.

Reason I say not electronic is that I really can't afford the $1200 bump in price.
Quote Reply
Re: 9 watts article [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Along these lines........what out there would be any better at all if you had to pick something mechanical (not electronic) as a frameset better than my old Felt DA? Especially for yaw angles when avg about 28mph on flat land.

A >2011 Da. ;) The P5 is a sure fire winner, though.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: 9 watts article [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

A >2011 Da. ;) The P5 is a sure fire winner, though.

Haha. There's actually a few brand new 2015ish DA's on Ebay recently for like $1100 or so. I would be into the stupid stem crap again though with Felts that I don't care for.

I made a custom deal myself in my shed for my DA to get rid of that trash.
Quote Reply
Re: 9 watts article [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Haha. There's actually a few brand new 2015ish DA's on Ebay recently for like $1100 or so. I would be into the stupid stem crap again though with Felts that I don't care for.

That's not bad. I had no luck finding any NOS in my size. I picked up another 2011 and while I am thinking I might have paid a bit too much, it did come with a bunch of extra crap...like the now hard to find 0Âş rise 110mm stem. The Da is a fast setup with the right bar.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Dec 4, 20 12:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Interesting...did you mean to add a link to the Baldissera paper? I'd like to see that.

P. Baldissera et al., Experimental Comparison of Speed-Dependent Rolling Coefficients in Small Cycling Tires, Tire Science and Technology, April 2020, https://doi.org/10.2346/tire.20.190207
Quote Reply
Re: 9 watts article [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

That's not bad. I had no luck finding any NOS in my size. I picked up another 2011 and while I am thinking I might have paid a bit too much, it did come with a bunch of extra crap...like the now hard to find 0Âş rise 110mm stem. The Da is a fast setup with the right bar.

I run a PDQ version open mold bar with all Aerocoach bars and cups. Aeria Ultimate stem. Pretty slippery. I even replaced the hex head bolts with rounded pan head hex bolts for that 1/10th of a watt. Tririg front brake. My custom stem mount allows about 1/2” lower front end than the spline stem.
Quote Reply

Prev Next