Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 9 watts article [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
HTupolev wrote:
Slowman wrote:
you're right. i am. i absolutely am. and that's why i said i'm just not smart enough. because, when i study this, and i read what people write about hysteresis in tires, what i read is that there's a value, measurable in heat, during that process between the tire's deformation and its recovery (the delta between the energy during deformation and the energy of recovery). and that sounds an awful lot like measuring elasticity, that is to say, we note the tendency of an object to resume its normal shape after deformation (elasticity) and then measure the energy loss during that process.

this is why you're smart and i'm not, and we rely on the smart people here. because you understand the distinction and i don't.

A good way to think about inner tube hysteresis is friction within the tube material, resisting deformation of the tube, turning some of the energy spent deforming the tube into heat.

A plastic tube might be made out of a material that has similar internal friction as butyl rubber, or perhaps even worse. But if the plastic tube is extremely thin, you might suffer less loss to this friction than with butyl simply because there's so little material being deformed.

if i understand you to be talking about friction between the tube and the inside of the tire, okay, makes sense, but that sounds like a completely separate argument than hysteresis. as i understand it, hysteresis is a measurable value in tubeless tires, no?

how I understand it is when you compress something and there is a delay in return and maybe all of the energy input is not returned, that loss is hysteresis loss? maybe in a tube there is 2 types of loss, frictional at the slip plane between the tube and tire and the tube hysteresis? So maybe a tube with a bit higher hysteresis has a lower frictional loss? Has anyone tried the difference between a dry tube in tire and the same tube with baby powder? Is there a difference?
Quote Reply
Re: 9 watts article [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
Slowman wrote:
HTupolev wrote:
Slowman wrote:
you're right. i am. i absolutely am. and that's why i said i'm just not smart enough. because, when i study this, and i read what people write about hysteresis in tires, what i read is that there's a value, measurable in heat, during that process between the tire's deformation and its recovery (the delta between the energy during deformation and the energy of recovery). and that sounds an awful lot like measuring elasticity, that is to say, we note the tendency of an object to resume its normal shape after deformation (elasticity) and then measure the energy loss during that process.

this is why you're smart and i'm not, and we rely on the smart people here. because you understand the distinction and i don't.

A good way to think about inner tube hysteresis is friction within the tube material, resisting deformation of the tube, turning some of the energy spent deforming the tube into heat.

A plastic tube might be made out of a material that has similar internal friction as butyl rubber, or perhaps even worse. But if the plastic tube is extremely thin, you might suffer less loss to this friction than with butyl simply because there's so little material being deformed.

if i understand you to be talking about friction between the tube and the inside of the tire, okay, makes sense, but that sounds like a completely separate argument than hysteresis. as i understand it, hysteresis is a measurable value in tubeless tires, no?

how I understand it is when you compress something and there is a delay in return and maybe all of the energy input is not returned, that loss is hysteresis loss? maybe in a tube there is 2 types of loss, frictional at the slip plane between the tube and tire and the tube hysteresis? So maybe a tube with a bit higher hysteresis has a lower frictional loss? Has anyone tried the difference between a dry tube in tire and the same tube with baby powder? Is there a difference?

i'm hanging onto the concept here. it's the energy lost, measured in heat, that occurs during the process of deformation and return to original shape. what i'm not quite understanding is how that paradigm works for latex and not for plastic. unless what's being claimed is that plastic is just less elastic, so is not the damper that latex is. but if that were the case i would think that would be found out in drum test that use a proud feature on the surface of the drum (diamondplate).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
what i'm not quite understanding is how that paradigm works for latex and not for plastic. unless what's being claimed is that plastic is just less elastic, so is not the damper that latex is.
Elasticity is how stiff the material is. Hysteresis is a separate property. Steel is very stiff, but has very low losses to hysteresis, so it makes for good springs: very little energy is lost to heat when you spring a steel spring.

Keep in mind that, with bicycle tires, the astronomical majority of stiffness is provided by air pressure. Not the material of the tires (and tube).

What's being claimed is that plastic tubes are more of a damper than latex.
Quote Reply
Re: 9 watts article [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
Slowman wrote:
what i'm not quite understanding is how that paradigm works for latex and not for plastic. unless what's being claimed is that plastic is just less elastic, so is not the damper that latex is.

Elasticity is how stiff the material is. Hysteresis is a separate property. Steel is very stiff, but has very low losses to hysteresis, so it makes for good springs: very little energy is lost to heat when you spring a steel spring.

Keep in mind that, with bicycle tires, the astronomical majority of stiffness is provided by air pressure. Not the material of the tires (and tube).

What's being claimed is that plastic tubes are more of a damper than latex.

well then i'm entirely lost.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

i'm hanging onto the concept here. it's the energy lost, measured in heat, that occurs during the process of deformation and return to original shape. what i'm not quite understanding is how that paradigm works for latex and not for plastic. unless what's being claimed is that plastic is just less elastic, so is not the damper that latex is. but if that were the case i would think that would be found out in drum test that use a proud feature on the surface of the drum (diamondplate).

As a material scientist, this use of terminology is making my head hurt and conflating your misunderstanding. Some quick definitions. If a material behaves elastically, after it has been stretched (or compressed) by some load, it recovers its original shape after that load has been removed. If it behaves plastically, after the load is removed it keeps some permanent deformation – i.e. it has been plastically deformed. Most materials combine elastic and plastic properties, depending on the amount of stress or deformation applied. Small deformation: elastic zone. Larger deformation: can enter the plastic zone. An easy example is to think of bending a steel rod. Bend it a little and you remain in the metal's elastic zone, and it "springs back" into its original shape after you stop applying force. Bend it too much and, even though it springs back a little, it will also be permanently bent from the plastic flow. Confusingly we also call a whole branch of polymeric materials "plastic" because they can be easily formed into different shapes plastically during their production, even though in use they may behave elastically or plastically, or most commonly some combination thereof.

When it comes to the rolling resistance from the different kinds of inner tubes, whether or not one material is more elastic than another is pretty much a moot point, since in standard conditions (i.e. not being impaled by a nail or something) they are in any case operating in their elastic zones. However, as they are being stretched and recovering their shape during each rotation of the wheel, there is an energy loss. This is from the hysteresis that has been discussed. This occurs because they are imperfect springs: the energy put into stretching is not returned when they recover their original form. Maybe an easier way to understand this is to consider them not as springs, but as a spring and damper system, with the damper accounting for the energy loss. Effectively a latex tube has a "smaller damper" than tubes made of other materials.

The reason behind this damping term will be related to how different rubbers and polymers (or "plastics") stretch. In an "ideal" spring such as steel, the stretching derives from stretching of atomic bonds, which gives a great energy return.* In rubbers and polymers, the stretching can instead be due to stretching, bending, twisting and sliding of long molecular chains. If, for instance, sliding is involved, that will create the "internal friction" that has been mentioned, and hence a larger damping term and greater energy loss from hysteresis.

*Regarding this property, bulk metallic glasses can behave as an even better spring with improved energy return.
Last edited by: duncan: Dec 2, 20 13:22
Quote Reply
Re: 9 watts article [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duncan wrote:

*Regarding this property, bulk metallic glasses can behave as an even better spring with improved energy return.

Slight thread drift: I was once involved in the design and production of a solid-state hemispherical resonator gyroscope (HRG), made from fused quartz...the main reason being the extremely low material damping limited electrostatic forces required to keep it resonating and also improved some gyroscopic performance properties (not to mention the virtually infinite fatigue life ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/..._resonator_gyroscope

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Dec 2, 20 13:53
Quote Reply
Re: 9 watts article [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
desert dude wrote:
9w vs the old canyon is going to make the new Canyon ~4-6w faster than a P5-6 and probably ~ 4-6w slower than the current Cervelo releases.

New Cervelos are ~10W faster than a P5-6 at 45km/hr?

Not according to Cervélo themselves, seemingly:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...o_s_New_P5_7191.html

I don't have the specifics of the test, but I wouldn't assume they would set up their new bike to make it worse than the old on purpose, so properly pretty equally equipped with wheels, etc. (or if anything the old one was worse off with equipment, but Cervélo usually seem fair in that regard). Looks pretty equal to me on the whole.
Last edited by: MTM: Dec 2, 20 13:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
duncan wrote:
Slowman wrote:

As a material scientist, this use of terminology is making my head hurt and conflating your misunderstanding. Some quick definitions. If a material behaves elastically, after it has been stretched (or compressed) by some load, it recovers its original shape after that load has been removed. If it behaves plastically, after the load is removed it keeps some permanent deformation – i.e. it has been plastically deformed. Most materials combine elastic and plastic properties, depending on the amount of stress or deformation applied. Small deformation: elastic zone. Larger deformation: can enter the plastic zone. An easy example is to think of bending a steel rod. Bend it a little and you remain in the metal's elastic zone, and it "springs back" into its original shape after you stop applying force. Bend it too much and, even though it springs back a little, it will also be permanently bent from the plastic flow. Confusingly we also call a whole branch of polymeric materials "plastic" because they can be easily formed into different shapes plastically during their production, even though in use they may behave elastically or plastically, or most commonly some combination thereof.

When it comes to the rolling resistance from the different kinds of inner tubes, whether or not one material is more elastic than another is pretty much a moot point, since in standard conditions (i.e. not being impaled by a nail or something) they are in any case operating in their elastic zones. However, as they are being stretched and recovering their shape during each rotation of the wheel, there is an energy loss. This is from the hysteresis that has been discussed. This occurs because they are imperfect springs: the energy put into stretching is not returned when they recover their original form. Maybe an easier way to understand this is to consider them not as springs, but as a spring and damper system, with the damper accounting for the energy loss. Effectively a latex tube has a "smaller damper" than tubes made of other materials.

The reason behind this damping term will be related to how different rubbers and polymers (or "plastics") stretch. In an "ideal" spring such as steel, the stretching derives from stretching of atomic bonds, which gives a great energy return.* In rubbers and polymers, the stretching can instead be due to stretching, bending, twisting and sliding of long molecular chains. If, for instance, sliding is involved, that will create the "internal friction" that has been mentioned, and hence a larger damping term and greater energy loss from hysteresis.

awesome funnily enough I *knew* this touching various inner tubes but this is a great explanation. cheers
Last edited by: pk: Dec 2, 20 13:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
duncan wrote:
Slowman wrote:

thank you. perhaps you can explain this, because i've asked it and i'm just not getting an answer that i make it thru my thick skull. reader error i'm sure. if the plastic innertube acts as a damper, measurably beyond what you'd find in a latex tube, why is it as fast? or faster actually than most latex tubes? do i misunderstand that the increase in a material's ability to act as a damper is analogous to the increase in hysteresis, then why - even on drums with proud features, especially on those drums - don't plastic tubes test measurably more poorly?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
if the plastic innertube acts as a damper, measurably beyond what you'd find in a latex tube, why is it as fast? or faster actually than most latex tubes?

I think the misunderstanding is that you're assuming that latex tubes are slower than plastic. Most of the test data I've seen, including what was posted earlier in this thread, suggests the opposite.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Dec 2, 20 14:21
Quote Reply
Re: 9 watts article [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
Slowman wrote:
if the plastic innertube acts as a damper, measurably beyond what you'd find in a latex tube, why is it as fast? or faster actually than most latex tubes?

I think the misunderstanding is that you're assuming that latex tubes are slower than plastic. Most of the test data I've seen, including what was posted earlier in this thread, suggests the opposite.

i'm not assuming its faster, but equal to. so, pardon, a little over my skis there. in what was posted earlier, the plastic was about equal to the michelin latex, and within a watt and a half of the fastest latex. per pair. the thing about the plastic tube is that it's got the speed of latex but (claimed) better flat protection and no leak-down. so, my question, if it's got significant damping properties, why does it test equal to garden variety latex, quite close to the fastest latex, and considerably better than everything else? i'm not arguing. just trying to make sense.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
...then why - even on drums with proud features, especially on those drums - don't plastic tubes test measurably more poorly?

As noted above, the preponderance of data shows that MOST latex tubes have less material damping (hysteresis...not an analogy, but the same thing) than the plastic tubes. If they're close, that means the material damping is close. It's that simple.

As far as results on drums with "proud surfaces" goes...all it will do is change the absolute reading, but not the percent differences between test items. The "proud surface" basically acts as an "amplifier", so that small differences can be more easily teased out...but the same can be accomplished with a smooth roller of a smaller diameter to increase the deflection at the contact patch for a given wheel load. Which is why I don't see the point of the "diamondplate" type rollers.

Last edited by: Tom A.: Dec 2, 20 14:35
Quote Reply
Re: 9 watts article [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:
...then why - even on drums with proud features, especially on those drums - don't plastic tubes test measurably more poorly?

As noted above, the data shows that MOST latex tubes have less material damping (hysteresis...not an analogy, but the same thing) than the plastic tubes. If they're close, that means the material damping is close. It's that simple.

As far as results on drums with "proud surfaces" goes...all it will do is change the relative reading, but not the percent differences. The "proud surface" basically acts as an "amplifier", so that small differences can be more easily teased out...but the same can be accomplished with a smooth roller of a smaller diameter to increase the deflection at the contact patch for a given wheel load. Which is why I don't see the point of the "diamondplate" type rollers.

are you saying then that the plastic tubes have about equal damping properties to the michelin latex tubes? and should therefore exhibit a ride feel about equal to them?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:

As noted above, the data shows that MOST latex tubes have less material damping (hysteresis...not an analogy, but the same thing) than the plastic tubes. If they're close, that means the material damping is close. It's that simple.

As far as results on drums with "proud surfaces" goes...all it will do is change the relative reading, but not the percent differences. The "proud surface" basically acts as an "amplifier", so that small differences can be more easily teased out...but the same can be accomplished with a smooth roller of a smaller diameter to increase the deflection at the contact patch for a given wheel load. Which is why I don't see the point of the "diamondplate" type rollers.

are you saying then that the plastic tubes have about equal damping properties to the michelin latex tubes? and should therefore exhibit a ride feel about equal to them?

Most likely...they aren't going to add much to the spring rate of the tire and air pressure...so yeah, I wouldn't expect them to be noticeably different. That said, I have no experience with them.

If the tubes have similar damping, then the "ride feel" is going to be more a function of the tire construction and pressures selected.

Last edited by: Tom A.: Dec 2, 20 14:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
the thing about the plastic tube is that it's got the speed of latex but (claimed) better flat protection and no leak-down.

Yeah...based on how that "better flat protection" was measured (at least what I saw) my gut feel is that "in the real world" that this claim most likely won't prove out, the reason being that (to bring this full circle) it's the elasticity that helps latex "fend off" certain punctures, and especially snake-bite failures (where the tube is folded over on itself - pinched - between 2 hard items) from large object/edge impacts.

You can stretch latex quite a bit before it fails, so if the % elongation at failure is lower with the plastic tubes (as it is with butyl rubber, as compared to latex) then it won't be as robust for real world failure mechanisms.

So, in the end, the trade-off would be robustness vs. leak down. I know which side I'd choose from in that trade (I don't mind checking pressure before a ride...heck, I do that with tires set up tubeless too).

Last edited by: Tom A.: Dec 2, 20 14:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
That said, I have no experience with them.

If the tubes have similar damping, then the "ride feel" is going to be more a function of the tire construction and pressures selected.

would you like to have some experience with them?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Sure...but if I flat with them, you'll hear me cursing all the way down there in Valyermo ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Most likely...they aren't going to add much to the spring rate of the tire and air pressure...so yeah, I wouldn't expect them to be noticeably different. That said, I have no experience with them.

i guess material thickness plays a part , and thinner material almost outbalances thicker latex, would that be right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Sure...but if I flat with them, you'll hear me cursing all the way down there in Valyermo ;-)

i have 3 of these, in the boxes, and i'm never going to use them because, of course, why would i! i'll send them off to you, and you can tell us all how you found riding with them, versus latex. put them thru whatever paces you want. put them on your text rig or put them on your bike and ride around. see if you can set a FKT down gibraltar ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

i have 3 of these, in the boxes, and i'm never going to use them because, of course, why would i! i'll send them off to you, and you can tell us all how you found riding with them, versus latex. put them thru whatever paces you want. put them on your text rig or put them on your bike and ride around. see if you can set a FKT down gibraltar ;-)

Which ones do you have, Schwalbe? What size?

I'm never going to set an FKT down Gib...too dangerous without it being closed, and my self-preservation genes are more highly expressed as I get older :-)

Quote Reply
Re: 9 watts article [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:

i guess material thickness plays a part , and thinner material almost outbalances thicker latex, would that be right?

Possibly...I don't know the wall thickness comparisons...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Which ones do you have, Schwalbe? What size?

I'm never going to set an FKT down Gib...too dangerous without it being closed, and my self-preservation genes are more highly expressed as I get older :-)

i was joking on the FKT. bad tire joke. i have the schwable aerothans. actually i have 2 pair. 1 is all-round, that is to say, gravel. 35mm to 50mm. the other pair is "race" and by that it means "road": 23mm and 25mm and i believe up to 28mm. they're both 700c, 40mm presta valves. the road set are 41g each, the gravel set are 61g each.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i was joking on the FKT. bad tire joke. i have the schwable aerothans. actually i have 2 pair. 1 is all-round, that is to say, gravel. 35mm to 50mm. the other pair is "race" and by that it means "road": 23mm and 25mm and i believe up to 28mm. they're both 700c, 40mm presta valves. the road set are 41g each, the gravel set are 61g each.

Yeah...I'll play around with them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:

either? both?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:

either? both?

I can try both (I have enough bike/wheel choices).

Quote Reply

Prev Next