Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [Khilgendorf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khilgendorf wrote:
knighty76 wrote:
You know, I'm kind of tempted to not post this (or if this thread is the best place) but I saw a graphic the other day comparing two things and it really caught my eye. I understand that price is determined by demand and these guys will charge whatever people are willing to pay. My other hobby is golf so I'm not oblivious to this fact.

But I'm REALLY struggling to reconcile how much these things cost. For example, how can the following possibly make any sense? You can almost buy the thing at the bottom for the same price as the FRAME from the thing at the top.

You simply cannot compare the complexity in manufacturing one against the other, no matter how much it costs to cast a new frame mold. I don't care how clever etap axs is!! And it can't be just about volume of sales - 3 million bicycles were sold in Great Britain in 2016 (300,000 of which are road bikes). 30,000 motorbikes are sold each year.

Are we getting screwed over?

/rant.

This costs £10,500.

This costs £4299.

As I’m currently in the market for a new moto, I wholeheartedly agree. The cost of a some bicycles is astronomical when compared to a motorcycle. for not much reason other than people pay for it. Though the majority of all bicycles sell for well under a grand.

Have you seen the price of golf clubs lately?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
If you're strictly talking buying new, then a new Felt IA can be had for about 3k. Add on used or new Flo/HED's.

Great advice. And you can do it for even less than that. Last fall, snagged a closeout deal on a 2019 IA16 for barely more than list price of a B14. Took the savings and added Assioma Duo pedals. Added a set of HED Jet 6+ wheels this spring from MyBikeShop at less than 1K. Only thing left to do now is to swap out the stock aero extensions for the Profile Design J bends that were on the clip ons on my old road bike. With a few other minor tweaks, that rig will last me a decade or more.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Where would the answer of neither, or both, fit? I try to spend my money pretty carefully so I pieced together my road bike by myself and saved a bundle. I think it is safe to say if you just walked into a shop and asked them to build my Campy EPS Record Madone you would come out with a custom $10-12,000 bike, similar to the standard DuraAce Di2 version. I pieced everything together by shopping carefully for ~$6,000.

Similarly I have a Tesla Model 3. When they first came out, they were $70,000 cars. Waiting until the last minute, before incentives dropped, got the msrp under 50 and with state and federal incentives it was under $40 grand. It has similar or better performance than just about any car under $100,000, especially one where my bike fits in the trunk, fuel costs the equivalent $1 gallon gas, and maintenance consists of tire rotations and adding wind shield washer fluid.

I'd love a Tesla too, but where I live ('Stralia) they still very much are luxury cars. AU$80k+ for model 3
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishOutofWater wrote:
This is a pretty disingenuous comparison though. The S Works is the absolute top of the line halo model and the GSX 250R is the absolute base model, probably equivalent to a 105 equipped bike if not even lower. The equivalent GSX 1000R is at least an $18,000 bike, and probably closer to 20 once you get it off the lot.

Urggghhh what??

Thats a terrible argument. Using your logic I could also compare a base model Ferrari with a base model Ford, or a top of the line Ferrari with a top of the line Ford?

No, the prices we are being charged for bicycles is outrageous when compared to a motorcycle. The amount of materials, engineering and labour would be far greater for a motorbike. And they (bicycles/motorbikes) are all made out of asia...

Also consider the massive amount of R&D and tech advancement in motorcycles compared to a bicycle that has hardly changed over the last 20-30 years (probably longer..)...crazy...
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
3 million bicycles were sold in Great Britain in 2016 (300,000 of which are road bikes). 30,000 motorbikes are sold each year.

If you compare expensive triathlon/TT bikes with standard motorbikes, you do not get to a relation 3 million / 30,000.
You rather get to a relation 1000 / 30,000 or 10,000 /30,000. Are there 10,000 high end TT-bikes sold in britain ?
And don't forget if there are 30,000 motorbikes sold in britain, a lot of them of the same kind are sold in the rest of the world. Relatively probably more then TT-bikes.

Or you must compare high end racing bycicles with high end racing motorbikes. I guess a high end motor racing bike will cost between 100,000 and 1,000,000.

I di not think we are being screwed, we just see the market.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think one has to make up his/her own mind about what additional/incremental benefits of the top-of-the-line versions are worth. Saving a few seconds in a race, the fascination about owning cutting edge technology, prestige, etc.?

R&D work is a significant cost factor and this is firstly collected from those customers buying top-of-the-line stuff because they are willing to pay for this. Then comes the trickle-down-effect that improves the mid-range models.

When you want to compare with other products compare among these products. Limited edition race ready motorbikes cost EUR 40k upwards and well into 6-figure ranges (see Ducati Superleggera).

Do you need this for your personal enjoyment? Ultimately a question one only can answer for him/herself. Are you among those customers who do not care about the price? Perhaps not because you are wealthy but because you very much want this specific item.
Last edited by: Feehliks: Aug 4, 20 2:38
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [Feehliks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And here is a translated excerpt about the Ducati Superleggera that is very illustrative:

The Italian motorcycle manufacturer Ducati brings an extreme variant of the Panigale V4. The Superleggera is still located above the V4R. Only 500 copies are built. Production of the Supersport rocket started in June 2020.
The top of the Panigale V4 family is currently the V4R, which also serves as a homologation model for the Superbike World Championship. With 998 cubic meters, the V4R has an output of 221 hp and a weight of 193 kilos (ready to drive). Their price is 39,900 euros. But there is even more potential in the Panigale V4. As a basic model for racing, the regulations limit the V4R to a price of no more than 40,000 euros. Accordingly, Ducati has not put everything that is feasible into this model, but only what makes sense for racing. However, we know from experience that Ducati customers like to dig deep into their pockets if they can buy an absolutely exclusive model of the Red. Accordingly, Ducati will add a Superleggera version of the Panigale V4 that can carry everything that is good and expensive.

Last edited by: Feehliks: Aug 4, 20 2:43
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:

Or you must compare high end racing bycicles with high end racing motorbikes. I guess a high end motor racing bike will cost between 100,000 and 1,000,000.

A brand new near race ready superbike costs around $12K USD

Just think about what you are saying for a moment, the amount of engineering, the extremely high tolerance performance parts in a motorcycle engine/suspension/electronics...ABS breaks, DOHC 4 valve cylinders, fly by wire throttle with EFI, titanium and carbon fibre parts stock!

No matter what twisted delusion you use to help you sleep at night cyclists are being screwed...
Last edited by: dunno: Aug 4, 20 3:06
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody tells you to buy these bikes. With some proper research you will be more than fine for half of the price unless you are a pro who really depends on the little incremental time-saving benefits.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [Feehliks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feehliks wrote:
Nobody tells you to buy these bikes. With some proper research you will be more than fine for half of the price unless you are a pro who really depends on the little incremental time-saving benefits.

And no body tells us to by a Bugatti La Voiture Noire for $19M while we can buy a Ford for $19K...that doesn't make any comment in ragards to its value any less valid..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

Just think about what you are saying for a moment, the amount of engineering, the extremely high tolerance performance parts in a motorcycle engine/suspension/electronics...ABS breaks, DOHC 4 valve cylinders, fly by wire throttle with EFI, titanium and carbon fibre parts stock!

No matter what twisted delusion you use to help you sleep at night cyclists are being screwed...
Are you suggesting that making and selling bicycles is more profitable than the motorcycle business? Perhaps all the major bike brands are colluding to keep prices high? Alternatively, is it possible you don’t understand the costs involved in making bicycles for a living?
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
dunno wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

Are you suggesting that making and selling bicycles is more profitable than the motorcycle business? Perhaps all the major bike brands are colluding to keep prices high? Alternatively, is it possible you don’t understand the costs involved in making bicycles for a living?

I'm suggesting when you look at the two products and what you get for the price it would suggest if the bicycle industry isn't making money they are incompetent in comparison and don't deserve to be in business.

Or maybe they just know there are a bunch of delusional people who will justify the abhorrent costs and even pay them...

Lol imagine if Shimano came out with a Dura Ace ABS brake... That will be $20k please... Just because...
Last edited by: dunno: Aug 4, 20 3:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

Firstly I must admit that I do know nothing about motorsports. But I just fail to beleave that the very bike which I see in an international race on tv, costs $12K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
dunno wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

Firstly I must admit that I do know nothing about motorsports. But I just fail to beleave that the very bike which I see in an international race on tv, costs $12K.

There are plenty of folks who would say the same for the tour de france...
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [stamps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stamps wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
dunno wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

There are plenty of folks who would say the same for the tour de france...

Yes, but going the other way. When you start looking at motorsports that are actually pushing the envelope (F1, MotoGP, etc), the costs very quickly become astronomical. The GSXR1000 that you can go buy at your local dealer is mostly based on technology that has been around for donkey's years, they aren't using structural carbon fiber, they aren't in a market where they'll lose sales if the frame weighs 50 grams more than their competition, etc,

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
gregf83 wrote:
dunno wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

I'm suggesting when you look at the two products and what you get for the price it would suggest if the bicycle industry isn't making money they are incompetent in comparison and don't deserve to be in business.

Or maybe they just know there are a bunch of delusional people who will justify the abhorrent costs and even pay them...

Lol imagine if Shimano came out with a Dura Ace ABS brake... That will be $20k please... Just because...
Of course the bicycle companies are making money, that's why they're in business. It's delusional to think they're making egregious profits, however and no one is getting screwed. They offer a product and buyers are free to purchase or not. For reference, Honda Motorcycles sells about U$19B of motorcycles per year so the scale is quite different.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steep discounts on Audi A8's - was looking at new $30K off list. Put a hitch on the automationX.ca Industry Simplified 2012, ex -NHL Canuck car

Total package price for this lux car including P5X bike, is about the same as a new VW Golf !!
2012 is still under extended warranty

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: Aug 12, 20 11:54
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [FaKaspar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say it's a Boomer question. Because who is still regarding cars at a benchmark for status? Here in the Paris region, only Boomers (and second and third generation immigrants) are in the driver seats of German branded cars. I am 42, earning well, but frankly nobody in work or circle of friends or neighbors is talking about cars or even knowing which and if they own one. It's like if you would be interested in one's washing machine brand and model.

EDIT: typos/grammar

https://www.strava.com/athletes/13873052
Last edited by: Geraldaut: Oct 1, 20 5:57
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [Geraldaut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geraldaut wrote:
I would say it's a Boomer question. Because who is still regarding cars at a benchmark for status? Here in the Paris region, only Boomers (and second and third generation immigrants) are in the driver seats German branded cars. I am 42, earning well, but frankly nobody is talking about cars or even knowing which and if they own one. It's like if you would be interested in one's washing machine brand and model.

I've got a Bosch Logixx 1200 with Ecowash.
That's got to impress.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [Geraldaut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geraldaut wrote:
I would say it's a Boomer question. Because who is still regarding cars at a benchmark for status? Here in the Paris region, only Boomers (and second and third generation immigrants) are in the driver seats of German branded cars. I am 42, earning well, but frankly nobody in work or circle of friends or neighbors is talking about cars or even knowing which and if they own one. It's like if you would be interested in one's washing machine brand and model.

EDIT: typos/grammar

Cars no longer holding the same weight as a status symbol for people who are not from an older generation and/or immigrants is a very interesting observation and now that I'm thinking about it, I see it as well.

To add to what you said, it's as if the objects that served as status symbols of previous generations fade out of style and are replaced by new symbols for the newer generation. And along the way, the immigrants coming in adopt the old or new based on how and when they came in.

So it'd be really interesting to understand what the newer generation has shifted their disposable income towards. Obviously I'm speaking about those who are lucky to have that choice. I'd guess maybe they're spending it on whatever gets them the social media pats-on-the-back... like traveling, dining out, events, big investments into their hobbies ($$$ bikes) to show off that they are "living life".

It'd be interesting to try and predict what comes after that.

ROFL @ the washing machine example. Mine is an ASKO. It keeps leaking and is an absolutely PITA. That's one washing machine that WON'T be appearing on any Snapchat or Instagram feeds any time soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

And any of you with a Cervelo, Felt, QR or Trek time trial superbike that was as unreliable and needed as much maintenance and repair as a Duccati, you'd be permanently in the Lavender Room to cry like a little biatch
Quote Reply

Prev Next