Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a modestly nice vehicle and second hand bikes, both road and triathlon. I would certainly invest my money in a nice vehicle over a $10k bike. I spend way more time in my vehicle than on either of my bikes and I'm not anywhere near the tip of the spear in races. Plus, I like doing my own work on my bikes and, from what I gather, most super bikes are kind of a PITA to wrench on compared to a typical bike. Technology in vehicles continues to progress whereas with bikes, I'm not fast enough to justify the extra expense. I'll stick with my $500 cervelo P2 and $500 trek domane.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had this exact decision to make 5 months ago. I chose the bike and don't regret it one bit. Love, love, love my new bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatja get?
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did faris win kona on his slice too or storck?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pimp the bike. Car is just to transport it to races.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
$10K bike, but really like the Lotus Evora GT

https://www.caranddriver.com/lotus/evora-gt

You don’t want that. While less common than a 911, you still would prefer to drive the 911. Now, if you said exige, then we’d be talking.

I have a lotus Elise in the garage, which could never be remotely considered luxury (though it has leather seats!). My road bike is a 2008 cinelli xperience (alloy) with 10-speed sram rival. Not sure which has a harsher ride, but both rail through corners and are fun as hell.

As for the OP question, I’d buy the car. Though rather than “luxury” would splash out on something like a hoonicorn or other light-weight, overpowered, rear-drive beast. M3 if it must be a luxury brand, though a mustang GT350R would do, too.
Last edited by: Khilgendorf: Jul 27, 20 20:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never really cared too much what I used as a daily driver...if it started reliably, got decent mileage, and the AC and radio worked, I've always been pretty happy.

I'd be way more likely to blow the excess cash on my recreational time.

Not saying I'd throw $10,000 at one bike, but I'd be a lot more likely to buy a couple fun bikes, or a project car, or do something to my house than pay 10 large for leather seats, and some perceived status.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Just curious - would you get a luxury car or buy a 'normal' car and get a $10k bike?

.....let's assume that you have enough disposable income to afford them without worrying about it, and that you're not a pro/elite athlete....
Neither.

I do have the disposable income, but I still wouldn't spend it on either of those things. My current car is 12 years old and was nothing fancy even when new. I'll replace it in the near future but it's not a matter of available funds, it' a matter of waste. Just because I can afford it does not make it alright to buy a new car I don't need every year or two. Likewise my road bike is what I'd consider mid range and many here would consider budget (2014 Canyon Ultimate CF9.0) and my TT is worth just a little more. I kinda consider my TT bike a luxury since I COULD race on my road bike. I have no plans to replace either of my bikes in the foreseeable future.

Incidentally, I don't quite get the logic of the question. If funds are not an issue and you don't have any qualms about replacing perfectly decent equipment, why would someone choose between the bike or the car? Why can't they have both? If it was about funds, a $10k bike is what, $7k more than a mid range bike. Whereas $7k isn't nearly enough extra budget to make your mid range "normal" car purchase into a luxury car purchase. So neither scenario makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if by luxury car you meant an electric car powered by home solar panels and a house battery I'd have to think about it...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would never ever buy a luxury car, so the bike I guess.

Munq
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
trail wrote:
I drive a Ford Focus and have 6 high-end bikes. I think that answers the question.

We really need a “like” button for this one.

Ditto! I don't compare as nicely but have a Honda Fit and 3 high-end bikes. I'll get there though! :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me the question doesn't really make sense, because if you can really afford a luxury car (like, 60k+ ?), then spending another 10k on a bike should be no problem, IMHO.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
if by luxury car you meant an electric car powered by home solar panels and a house battery I'd have to think about it...
Huh???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Car for me. I just don't see the pull toward the 10k super bikes. Even at the pointy end, not sure what extra you get from that other than owning the best out there. I guess that is a similar thought as the luxury car, since it really is a status symbol, but I have no desire for the bike.

Now a real luxury car is a different animal for me. The right ones are a joy to drive. I get to drive my friend's S6 occasionally, and man, that thing is awesome. Fit an finish are something else, and the handling and ride, how something that smooth can corner that well defies logic. 10k absolutely gets you from a loaded major auto (think Camry or something) to a loaded equivalent from Audi, BMW, Mercedes.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
To me the question doesn't really make sense, because if you can really afford a luxury car (like, 60k+ ?), then spending another 10k on a bike should be no problem, IMHO.

Lots of folks up here in Norcal driving around in 65+k cars yet riding old steel (not even Ti) or entry level bikes. I strongly suspect they're too afraid of the poseur effect given that most of them are not competitive cyclists or triathletes.

It's not just about the money, there are other intangible factors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

Lots of folks up here in Norcal driving around in 65+k cars yet riding old steel (not even Ti) or entry level bikes. I strongly suspect they're too afraid of the poseur effect given that most of them are not competitive cyclists or triathletes.

OK......so for you.....if the question is about money, see my first reply. :)
If you are worried about being a 'poseur', I'd say stop worrying about what other people think. Expensive bikes are pretty common these days. If you can afford it, then go for it. Life is too short to ride shitty bikes... :)
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
lightheir wrote:
Just curious - would you get a luxury car or buy a 'normal' car and get a $10k bike?

I know there are limitless caveats to this question, which is fun to leave kinda open ended. But for some consistency, let's assume that you have enough disposable income to afford them without worrying about it, and that you're not a pro/elite athlete. And that the luxury car does cost significantly more than the 'normal' car, whatever that means to you.

EDIT - Kinda knew this was gonna happen, but obviously EVERYONE with like 5 uberpricey bikes and a budget car is more than happy to tell us about, whereas anyone with a luxury car and a relatively cheap bike (which I'm sure outnumbers the reverse) is hesitant to pipe up. So pipe up if you drive a nice car but have a relatively cheaper bike!

Neither.

I’d get a half ton quad cab.
Correct answer, as we have two quad cab Silverados in our driveway - wife wanted one so she could "haul" her SUP to the beach and paddle without taking my truck.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
lightheir wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

OK......so for you.....if the question is about money, see my first reply. :)
If you are worried about being a 'poseur', I'd say stop worrying about what other people think. Expensive bikes are pretty common these days. If you can afford it, then go for it. Life is too short to ride shitty bikes... :)

I'm not the one worrying about being a poseur - that's just speculation.

I can afford both, but I'd be lying if I said I'd get that bike AND the car and not get some serious questionable looks from my wife. Just because you 'can' afford something doesn't mean you should get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol, then your question should have maybe been:
"How do I hide my new bike purchase from my spouse....".

Say to her: "Hon, I was gonna buy the 120k Land Rover Sport, but think I am gonna buy an 80k car instead, and get a new bike too."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure it is pretty common out there, but my LBS has a list of services offered, and on the bottom is "a receipt that shows what you told your wife you paid - $20"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Lol, then your question should have maybe been:
"How do I hide my new bike purchase from my spouse....".

Say to her: "Hon, I was gonna buy the 120k Land Rover Sport, but think I am gonna buy an 80k car instead, and get a new bike too."

I'll also admit though too that more than have of the guilt of being able to finally afford some nice stuff (wasn't that way for nearly my entire life up to now though!) is that it's hard for me to ever justify paying for a $10k bike even if I can afford it.

I can't even convince myself to upgrade from my 2008 Cervelo P2c which and my 2009 entry level aluminum Giant Defy bike both of which have been workhorses, even if I am eyeing wireless shifting, disc brakes, etc.

I'd almost certainly pull the trigger on new $$$ bikes right now if it weren't for the real caveat that self-wrenching them is a whole new headache that I don't want to deal with having learned how to wrench both my bikes. I've learned the hard way that even though new bike maintenance is not hard to learn, it's REALLY easy to forget and a PITA to keep having to relearn since you generally don't do it often unless you work in a bike shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah most of the wrenching stuff is easy.
DI2/etap is easy to setup, lots of youtube vids.
I think the only thing that has been a headache for me has been 'integrated' rim brakes. They can be a pain in the ass. But you avoid that if you go disc brakes. And vids on how to set those up as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
I think the only thing that has been a headache for me has been 'integrated' rim brakes. They can be a pain in the ass. But you avoid that if you go disc brakes. And vids on how to set those up as well.

As I said - it's easy - until you don't do it for 6+ months and then have to do it again.

I find easy stuff such as cutting a chain to the right length annoying enough when I have to do it on a new chain.

And I'm definitely not eager to learn about breaking down integrated headsets, especially when they start getting sweat corrosion. Yuk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't care one lick about the car I drive (explains why I drive an almost 10 year old shitty van), so I would get the bike for sure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

As I said - it's easy - until you don't do it for 6+ months and then have to do it again.

I find easy stuff such as cutting a chain to the right length annoying enough when I have to do it on a new chain.

And I'm definitely not eager to learn about breaking down integrated headsets, especially when they start getting sweat corrosion. Yuk.

Well, I guess it depends on the person. I find all that stuff incredibly easy, but I also enjoy working on my bikes. And yes, I wax my chains too. :)
But I also have friends who will take their bikes to the LBS to adjust their saddle height........
Quote Reply

Prev Next