Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Neither. I don't want a luxury car. I barely drive my little electric car as it is. I don't need a 10K bike.

Neither isn't a provided option. You must choose.

Also, you're zero fun.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 27, 20 11:27
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd buy a new bike, and a used luxury car that's on the backside of the depreciation curve. just because it's an old luxury car does not make it any less luxury.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No question the bike. I tell people all the time if I could either have a (my) $10K bike or a $100k Porsche given to me but I could only have one or the other, I'd take the bike every time.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd buy the $10k bike second hand for $3k and the $100k car second hand for $50k.

Paying brand new for either is just a insane waste of money
Last edited by: dunno: Jul 27, 20 12:33
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
david wrote:
No question the bike. I tell people all the time if I could either have a (my) $10K bike or a $100k Porsche given to me but I could only have one or the other, I'd take the bike every time.

A $100k Porche woukd probably perform 10 times better than a $10k car, but I bet your $10k bike wouldnt perform 10 times better than a $1k bike

That may be true on the racing mototrack, but for the vast majority of luxury car purchases, there is no loss of function between that $100k Porsche and your $10k car on the streets where the car is used.

That $10k car will get you back and to places safely, reliably, and you will be able to keep up easily in traffic, and even drive aggressively if you are so inclined.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I drive a Ford Focus and have 6 high-end bikes. I think that answers the question.

We really need a “like” button for this one.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Just curious - would you get a luxury car or buy a 'normal' car and get a $10k bike?

I know there are limitless caveats to this question, which is fun to leave kinda open ended. But for some consistency, let's assume that you have enough disposable income to afford them without worrying about it, and that you're not a pro/elite athlete. And that the luxury car does cost significantly more than the 'normal' car, whatever that means to you.

EDIT - Kinda knew this was gonna happen, but obviously EVERYONE with like 5 uberpricey bikes and a budget car is more than happy to tell us about, whereas anyone with a luxury car and a relatively cheap bike (which I'm sure outnumbers the reverse) is hesitant to pipe up. So pipe up if you drive a nice car but have a relatively cheaper bike!

Neither.

I’d get a half ton quad cab.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
dunno wrote:
david wrote:

A $100k Porche woukd probably perform 10 times better than a $10k car, but I bet your $10k bike wouldnt perform 10 times better than a $1k bike

That may be true on the racing mototrack, but for the vast majority of luxury car purchases, there is no loss of function between that $100k Porsche and your $10k car on the streets where the car is used.

That $10k car will get you back and to places safely, reliably, and you will be able to keep up easily in traffic, and even drive aggressively if you are so inclined.

Ummmm you do realise that the same could be said of a $50 bike versus a $10k bike...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$10k bikes are not what they used to be... my Open WIDE build with Force AXS Mullet 1x and ENVE G23 and cockpit is about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where would the answer of neither, or both, fit? I try to spend my money pretty carefully so I pieced together my road bike by myself and saved a bundle. I think it is safe to say if you just walked into a shop and asked them to build my Campy EPS Record Madone you would come out with a custom $10-12,000 bike, similar to the standard DuraAce Di2 version. I pieced everything together by shopping carefully for ~$6,000.

Similarly I have a Tesla Model 3. When they first came out, they were $70,000 cars. Waiting until the last minute, before incentives dropped, got the msrp under 50 and with state and federal incentives it was under $40 grand. It has similar or better performance than just about any car under $100,000, especially one where my bike fits in the trunk, fuel costs the equivalent $1 gallon gas, and maintenance consists of tire rotations and adding wind shield washer fluid.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
lightheir wrote:
dunno wrote:
david wrote:

Ummmm you do realise that the same could be said of a $50 bike versus a $10k bike...

Not sure how how a 100k car is going to be 10x better than a 10k car at getting me to work or the grocery store. Or even in a 3.5 hour drive to visit family

But I know for certain there is going to be a HUGE difference in an uphill time trial or a 40K TT if I’m using a Cervelo R5 or P5 vs a 1978 10 speed Schwinn Le Tour

Matt
Last edited by: Chemist: Jul 27, 20 13:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also this thread is slowtwitch in a nutshell

“Just for fun, wondering if you had the choice would you rather have A or B”

“Both is those are dumb, why would anyone get either of those when they could have C and D?”

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Similarly I have a Tesla Model 3. When they first came out, they were $70,000 cars. Waiting until the last minute, before incentives dropped, got the msrp under 50 and with state and federal incentives it was under $40 grand. It has similar or better performance than just about any car under $100,000, especially one where my bike fits in the trunk, fuel costs the equivalent $1 gallon gas, and maintenance consists of tire rotations and adding wind shield washer fluid.

Off topic-alert (by OP) here again, but what they hey -

I'm seriously considering the Model 3, but of course, there is the Model Y now. I personally would rather get the Model 3 because it would be my personal everyday driver (work etc) and my wife already has a larger gas SUV so the Model Y would overlap in function.

Just goes to show priorities - my only worry about the Model 3 was that it would be a hassle to get my bike in there! I actually don't have any real problems removing my rear wheel on roadie or TT bike (wax chains are awesome!) but I know from experience that even mild hassles with stuff like that can drive you batty if you're doing it even only a few times a month.

How do you get your bike into your Model3?
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
dunno wrote:
lightheir wrote:
dunno wrote:
david wrote:

Not sure how how a 100k car is going to be 10x better than a 10k car at getting me to work or the grocery store. Or even in a 3.5 hour drive to visit family

But I know for certain there is going to be a HUGE difference in an uphill time trial or a 40K TT if I’m using a Cervelo R5 or P5 vs a 1978 10 speed Schwinn Le Tour

Oh my... Strong logic/comprehension skills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a luxury car or an uber expensive bike, but if I had the choice, I'd take a 10k bike. Or, probably 2 5k bikes. I don't think the jump from 5 to 10 brings a whole lot for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just dropped $400 on a car yesterday.
Both windows roll up fully and it's got a towing hitch so I can put a bike rack on.
Does that qualify as a luxury car ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I guess my wife and I have the budget for either, but I still wouldn't buy a $10,000 bike or a luxury car. We are frugal and live below our means. Money doesn't buy happiness.

Edit: That's not a fun response. If I won one and had to keep it, I'd pick a Tesla.
Last edited by: stevendex: Jul 27, 20 13:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a base model 8 year old Cannondale Slice (12 year old frame model the same model that Rinnie and Chrissie won Kona on) and 5 year old base model Jetta. I have cash on hand to get both of what you asked, but I prefer my basic "mobility hardware" and keep cash on hand. I AM looking into getting a TT bike upgrade but budget is more like $5000 CAD ($3700 USD). I am kind of looking to replace my gas car with an electric car (but I will get something basic). I was being bugged by my employees that I need to get an electric car to make a point given what my company does, and I said, I would get one if and when I close the next equity fund raise and in the mean time, I will largely bike and run to the office. I actually don't have a parking spot at my office because they are in short supply and said the last people to get parking spots will be management team and very last will be CEO (me). So I ride my old bikes or run to the office (well, when we are back there).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

I found this image on the internet for ya:

Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but choosing the bike over the car is better for my marriage :-)

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Luxury car. My roadie and TT are each ~3k; I just don't see the added vale in the more expensive rigs.

1. I spend ~2hrs/day in my car (sadly not as much time on my bike).

2. I kept my last MB for 15yrs and it still worked great. My 15yo bikes have 9spd, manual shifting, exposed cables, etc., etc. Bikes age out much faster than cars.

3. Back before I was married, a nice car was going to help my social life far more than a nice bike. It's amazing how unimpressed dates are when you roll up to the restaurant for a first date on a $10k bike.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If money wasn't an option for me, I would have no hesitation in buying a Mercedes GTR.
In the real world, it would be the bike, purely for economic purposes.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who got one. Evidently one of the billionaire Yahoo! founders gets a new one every couple of years, and sells the "old" one at a big discount.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Would you get a luxury car first or a $10k bike? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
I have a friend who got one. Evidently one of the billionaire Yahoo! founders gets a new one every couple of years, and sells the "old" one at a big discount.

I must hunt him down for a chat!

Not far from my place, I see a guy pull into a local park in one & shoot some hoops by himself every so often. But for COVID, I would have already asked him if he could take me for a spin.... one day perhaps :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next