Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Maybe I’m short sighted and missing the point or maybe it’s because I’ve only done a handful of big races and tons of local stuff. But without the pomp and circumstance of Ironman (a million aid stations, fans, banquets) what’s the point for BOPers all the way up to FMOPers to consider these expensive races? I’d really really like to do a second Ironman. But if it’s still going to cost $700 and I don’t get the banquet, concert, live jazz band on the run course, and support I’d much rather save my money and do a local 70.3. Or even (gasp) a bunch of sprints and Oly’s.

That's exactly what I was thinking!!
The support and pomp is the reason for IM branded races.

I can race local sprint, Oly, and 70.3 and be self supportive.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
Scottxs wrote:
BigDig wrote:
Scottxs wrote:

LOL tell thousands of athletes who have jobs, families, and responsibilities that there is "no need" for their families and friends to support them. These families have sacrificed a lot so their athlete could train to do a IM. Tell the families that their support was in vain because there is "no need" for them to see the end results of their own sacrifice. Good luck with that BS.

So after all the sacrifice the families do they have to sacrifice another entire day? To hell with that, let them live their lives. My A race is a half ironman in my town and one year my family came to watch me finish and the next year my son came to watch me finish because he happened to be there surfing. Why should they waste a perfectly good weekend day to watch me for a few seconds every half hour ride by on my bike or run by? If they want to see that they can just look out the window just about every day.

Well if you and your family have issues than I suggest you work them out in privet and not here on ST......the rest of us will just have our families support us in any way they wish and not put limitation on them.
without the histrionics.

No histrionics here......just making a point.......and it seemed to work.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
For the Bike Course, I can carry four bottles on the Bike. I actually just removed the stupid Elite Aero Bottle and went with a standard cage. Depending on the Temperature, I can get through 56 Miles on a Half IM with a gulp or so water left (I only took three bottles with me to TC, I'm an idiot). So for me if you did four aid stations on the bike that would probably be perfect. I'd fill up at the halfway point. Where it gets tricky is the Marathon, whether someone brings a vest or not, I think you need a helluva lot more aid stations out there for a variety of reasons. Bike, definitely can carry most nutrition for at least a half IM.

70.3 Bike aid stations are more important than run. I need fluids on the fly to race fast. One BTA bottle only. Pitch n grab refills. Usually 3-4 bottles.

Run aid stations could be limited to 2. Use a light racing vest with two 500ml bottles. Pitch n grab refills again.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
OddSlug wrote:
Scottxs wrote:
BigDig wrote:
Scottxs wrote:

LOL tell thousands of athletes who have jobs, families, and responsibilities that there is "no need" for their families and friends to support them. These families have sacrificed a lot so their athlete could train to do a IM. Tell the families that their support was in vain because there is "no need" for them to see the end results of their own sacrifice. Good luck with that BS.

So after all the sacrifice the families do they have to sacrifice another entire day? To hell with that, let them live their lives. My A race is a half ironman in my town and one year my family came to watch me finish and the next year my son came to watch me finish because he happened to be there surfing. Why should they waste a perfectly good weekend day to watch me for a few seconds every half hour ride by on my bike or run by? If they want to see that they can just look out the window just about every day.

Well if you and your family have issues than I suggest you work them out in privet and not here on ST......the rest of us will just have our families support us in any way they wish and not put limitation on them.
without the histrionics.

No histrionics here......just making a point.......and it seemed to work.

And your point was that people who don't feel the need to have their family watch them compete in a triathlon have family issues and should STFU.

Got it, thanks.

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
So the next three IMs scheduled are:
15 August Kalmar, Sweden,
23 August Mont Tremblant, Canada, EDIT: CANCELLED at least for 23 August
23 August Kazakhstan.

On the sites is written:"We are working diligently to provide information as early as possible for all races. We commit to giving you an update about your race no later than 50 days before your scheduled race date, and we will endeavor to ensure these updates come even earlier wherever possible."

So within the next 4 weeks we should hear something from Sweden (I did IM Sweden two times).
Although I'm not registered for an IM this year, I'm looking forward to what will happen.

Sweden cancelled
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw Ironman's new video, which among other things talked about change tents without side panels, video race briefings, etc., but I haven't seen mention of what would seem to be the biggest potential source of transmission: portable toilets. Small enclosed environments full of, well, don't get me started. I'd be way more concerned about these vs. aid stations in open-air environments, based on what is known about how the virus is transmitted.

Yet - for me at least - porta-potties are extremely necessary components of race infrastructure.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: WTC (finally) announced Safe Return to Racing Guidelines [ihersey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
now that WTC events are back at various places around the world, I wanted to bump this thread for anyone who raced them to share what the experience was like, specifically in terms of the guidelines. most interested to hear about the athlete check-in/health screening process, density reduction at start/transition areas, or any other noteworthy (or unanticipated) changes from "normal" events.

I am guessing things probably have varied at WTC events since at this point we have a limited number of them, most in different corners of the globe subject to different restrictions (only 1 in North america, and none in USA), but i guess that's another thing folks would be interested to hear about.
Quote Reply

Prev Next