Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Nick Bare goes 11:28 @ IMFL in first IM with no background in swimming or biking [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the problem with your stance. We as a sporting society are not 100% anti aids. For example some drugs are actually allowed even though there is some form of performance gain (caffeine for example). So the moment that shoes are allowed (I also believe they are regulated as to how much of an advantage), you gotta really STFU with your doping stance, honestly.

Like I'm with you that the shoes provide a benefit. But you standing on the street corner calling every nike shoe user a doper is just as stupid at this point.

So there are some things that we allow even though the are an "aid" to athlete performances. Some asthma "puffers" are allowed, some drugs are allowed to an degree, some equipment is allowed and there is usually a line in the sand of the allowance.

I'm sure the Hoka Carbon X shoe would have normal people running PR's as well, should that shoe be disallowed....Like where's the line in the sand? Is 1% aid cool, but 3% aid too much?

But it's always been funny to me that you can draft your way to a huge PR on the bike and serve what a 5 min penalty, but if you did the same "advantage" by taking drugs, your penalty is suddenly what 2-4 years out of the sport.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes 11:28 @ IMFL in first IM with no background in swimming or biking [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

as I mentioned, no change in volume. Its like doing IM bike leg 6 hours on road bike then switching to tri bike to do 5 hours at same wattage

Clearly tri bikes should be banned for tris. Performance advantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You gotta be a troll man or extremely jealous haha...Can’t answer my question. Now back to the shoes and PED reference.
Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes 11:28 @ IMFL in first IM with no background in swimming or biking [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moving on from the shoe situation. His recent video says he wants to run 3:10-3:15 at IMTX. Nothing wrong with setting goals and shooting for the stars. But I hope he spends a ton of time swimming and biking for the next 2 months.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Nick Bare goes 11:28 @ IMFL in first IM with no background in swimming or biking [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Moving on from the shoe situation. His recent video says he wants to run 3:10-3:15 at IMTX. Nothing wrong with setting goals and shooting for the stars. But I hope he spends a ton of time swimming and biking for the next 2 months.

A limiting factor in big muscular athletes in IM is often how fast they need to burn carbs to keep up that kind of pace. They often will bonk, no matter how good their nutrition and fitness is if they are on pace for a 9:30 IM and they get 10 miles into the run. They just can't eat fast enough.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply

Prev Next