Re: Yes... the tire question again [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tubulars

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Yes... the tire question again [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:

I forgot to mention: I've added a step in my tire installation recently: I initially inflate to 125psi and then back down to the pressure I actually want. Before tubeless tires and rims, this wasn't necessary. But now it's possible for part of the bead to "duck under," which leaves you with a flat spot. This is a problem even if you are using tubes. A few times now, I haven't gotten the final "pop" from the bead shifting until 120 psi. The added benefit to going to 125 psi is that if you've botched the installation, you'll probably find out right away.

Absolutely agree!

This is how I did it when I installed them a few months ago waiting to hear the bead lock on. These rims are super loud when it finally does. I hang the wheels when not in use and as I believe when they deflated and sat in my garage and heat cycled the bead unhooked and I never bothered checking or thought about it.

The tube was tore about 2-3” in length along the side of the tube at about the 3-o’clock position from the valve stem.

The first time I used latex tubes they were getting under the rim tape and popping in the holes - I did a few layers of tubeless rim tape and that stopped that from happening.
Quote Reply
Re: Yes... the tire question again [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Tubulars

Right - raced on tubulars for over 10 years and never had an issue haha. I bought these 7.8’s as I needed something 11-speed and wanted to try the new stuff out. I gave the wheels to my wife who is not going to give them back haha.
Quote Reply
Re: Yes... the tire question again [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Enve rims were not super clean on the rim bead and I actually filed down some carbon to make it smooth. I could see a latex tube being able to pinch out of it if the jump in carbon was drastic enough.

Thomas,

Actually - I noticed the same thing I n the rim bead. The rim had some sharp burrs and had some uneveness. I didn’t think anything about it or try filing on it as I figured the bead would soak it up or cover the burr etc.

I did not at that point want to file on wheels of that value but I might now. I’m not saying that is or was my issue but it’s interesting to hear that from another Enve owner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teddygram wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Tubulars

Right - raced on tubulars for over 10 years and never had an issue haha. I bought these 7.8’s as I needed something 11-speed and wanted to try the new stuff out. I gave the wheels to my wife who is not going to give them back haha.

I do like my tubulars but I dont like having to carry around a full spare one with me just in case.Yet to find an slowtwitch approved aero way of doing it. Hopefully the sealant will prevent any disasters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd recommend some 800 grit sandpaper instead of a file, but its not a bad idea overall
Quote Reply
Re: Yes... the tire question again [davidwilcock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davidwilcock wrote:
I do like my tubulars but I dont like having to carry around a full spare one with me just in case.Yet to find an slowtwitch approved aero way of doing it. Hopefully the sealant will prevent any disasters.

I can get a Tufo S3 Lite in a Gen 1 SC draft box, plus 2 cartridges & inflator. Tufo do smaller/lighter tubs, but they tend to be a b1tch to get on, as the Elite series seem to require a load of pre-stretching & also have no kevlar strip. The S3 Lite is "<215g".

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm with you, latex tubes are fine and maybe have there advantages, but they drive you crazy with worry -- are they going to blow? leak? sealer work? delicate to mount, higher cost, etc. etc. etc. It's just not worth the worry for 30 seconds of speed. Use something more bomb proof and sleep better the night before the race. ...
Quote Reply
Re: Yes... the tire question again [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coyote pelon wrote:
i'm with you, latex tubes are fine and maybe have there advantages, but they drive you crazy with worry -- are they going to blow? leak? sealer work? delicate to mount, higher cost, etc. etc. etc. It's just not worth the worry for 30 seconds of speed. Use something more bomb proof and sleep better the night before the race. ...

Ironically, I've used latex tubes for everyday purposes for so long (without issue), it's actually running butyl tubes that causes me anxiety due to them being more likely to "snake bite" if accidentally hitting an impact edge.

In fact, on the very last set of wheels I put a butyl tube in (a commuter wheelset I don't want to bother pumping every day), I did exactly that on an edge I ride over nearly every day. With wheels with latex tubes in the tires, no problems. First time over with the butyls: snake bite.

Compare that to my road bike wheelset that runs latex tubes. Last weekend I hit a pothole with the rear wheel on a descent hard enough to dent the bead on one side of the rim. No pinch flat though...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Yes... the tire question again [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno. The only two snake bites I've had in 24 years happened in the last 12 months on latex vice the previous 23 on butyl.

That said, I don't fault the latex---both were absolutely brutal. As far as I know, butyl tubes would have done the same. I'm not going to retest and damage ANOTHER wheel.

The pothole I hit yesterday folded the wheel-bead over at a 30d angle, and deformed the entire rim slightly. The tube was snake bit on both sides with 1/4" slits. I know this pothole well....I thought I was already past it. When I saw it, I veered enough to miss with the front wheel, but the rear just dug in.

Last year I ran over a 1/2" automotive camber adjustment bolt. It was the same color as the asphalt. I could barely make it out walking back to see what I'd hit. Ran clean over the thing at 28mph. Again, it just destroyed the latex tube (and the tire). So, I don't know that butyl would have faired differently.
Quote Reply
Re: Yes... the tire question again [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Regardless, to answer your questions. I would give latex another try. Invest in some Conti GPTT for a faster tire, and invest in a tire bead jack (not lever) if you are having trouble getting the tires on.

I love that tire bead jack. I wish they made one that could be broken down with a removable handle to have out on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I've used latex tubes for everyday purposes for so long (without issue)

Same.
Quote Reply
Re: Yes... the tire question again [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
You need to regularly check to make sure you have enough liquid sealant.

Can you advise the best way to do this? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom I am with you, I ran my old latex in my everyday wheels. Couple weeks ago got 3 little pieces of metal wire going straight through the tire into the tube, no flat, pulled them out when I got home put that wheel on trainer bike, for last 2 weeks its still not gone flat. Butyl would have been a tube change for sure.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Yes... the tire question again [davidwilcock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you read Thomas Gerlach's article on the Tufo track tire?
http://www.thomasgerlach.com/...t-tubular-spare.html
It is compact and light. I use this along with the Specialized Road Bandit which holds the tire and Co2 under the saddle. Pretty slick setup.
https://www.specialized.com/...LNIni5hoC6-UQAvD_BwE

edit: someone already posted this option...
Last edited by: beatle: Jul 31, 18 4:34
Quote Reply
Re: Yes... the tire question again [beatle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did actually take the advice there. It's the smallest tyre I've ever had. I'll take a look at that specialized thing if I can see one in the flesh. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Yes... the tire question again [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RonanIRL wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
You need to regularly check to make sure you have enough liquid sealant.

Can you advise the best way to do this? Thanks!

With the bike or wheel in a stand (off the ground) and the valve at the bottom, let out all the air and remove the valve core. Insert a thin rod of some type through the valve stem and use it as a "dip stick" like for the oil in a car engine ;-) Some of the Orange Seal packages come with a plastic "dip stick" just for this purpose...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Yes... the tire question again [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:

I forgot to mention: I've added a step in my tire installation recently: I initially inflate to 125psi and then back down to the pressure I actually want. Before tubeless tires and rims, this wasn't necessary.
Me too. And I actually add the soapy water treatment too, same as if I were installing tubeless. It helps the bead snap in place easier. TLR is a PITA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just an update on this I buzzed Enve for the heck of it and talked some on the subject (didn't mention my issues over the weekend) and they recommended the Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless tires (25 size) for the 7.8's period (stated it tested best aerodynamically???) and I mentioned to him that I was running the Conti 4000II with Latex tubes and he stopped me and stated that Enve does not recommend or condone Latex tubes with there wheels....

Just a FYI - I am sure they are covering there butts or whatever....

So back to the conversation - how are the Turbo Cottons? They hold up well enough, not looking for a last resort setup just looking or considering something that makes the most sense for 140.6 races...... I will finish mid to high 5hrs on the bike so its not the end of the world/all chips in kind of deal.
Last edited by: teddygram: Jul 31, 18 12:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schwalbe Pro One's are great tires - very good combination of low CRR and pretty good puncture protection. If they say that's best aerodynamically, I'd just go with that.

Personally I'd stuff a latex tube in them. They mount up very tight, which means that they're high degree of difficulty in the actual mounting process -- hard to get on the rim without losing some skin and/or damaging the tube. However, once you do get them on you're pretty unlikely to have the tube caught under the bead because there's no space. Also, once the bead is properly set -- see Jens and my posts above for how to do that as it might take some skill -- it will be on there so well that it most likely won't budge even if you deflate the tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d try the new Hutchinson “Galactik” tubeless ready tires in 25mm.
Quote Reply
Re: Yes... the tire question again [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm adding 'check rim tape' when I change a tube.

I had two flats during my last race (laytex initially, butyl spare) ... I had checked the tire for debris after the first one. After the 2nd one, I suspected something on the rim side.

Sure enough, the rim tape was either installed incorrectly or shifted during riding such that the spoke holes were partially exposed.

I'm using the elastic rim tape that fits tightly around the rim ... wondering if I should start using tape with adhesive (e.g., gorilla tape).

Either way ... I'll be checking rim tape each time I change a tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you got Tubeless you may want to check out the new Zipp tires. I replaced one of my tires the other day with the new Zipp 25mm Tubeless race tire, and it was actually installable by hand. No tools needed, and zipp specifically states they do not want you to use tools either.
Quote Reply
Re: Yes... the tire question again [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
Literally today I got the first cut on my Hutchinson Fusion5 11Storms. It was a slice of maybe 3/16ths of an inch. It failed to seal with OrangeSeal. Even with spinning it. Even with putting it at the bottom. Even with holding my thumb over it. Even with extra air. I got filthy, threw my tube in it, and here endeth my attempts at tubeless. I'm just not going to try all the other options to see if one of them will actually seal when I need it to.

The grass isn't always greener; I've had much more luck with swapping tubes. I've never had ENVEs though.

I would have suggested you just put a plug in it (Dynaplug or Sahmurai Sword etc) and co2 and away you go. Saves taking the wheel and tyre off to put in a tube. 2 minutes of work if that.
Quote Reply
Re: Yes... the tire question again [Jmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jmercer wrote:
Either way ... I'll be checking rim tape each time I change a tube.

Just buy a roll of Stan's Tubeless tape and wrap it twice. Works great for clinchers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next