Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is this a recipe for burnout? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
Why do you need to spend $700 to enter a race? Just do something short as a speed test. A racing atmosphere is quite different than just training. Hell, race on Zwift.

I'm your age, train 12-18 hours/week and don't see the point in training unless there is a goal in mind. There's so much more to life than triathlon that if I wasn't trying to qualify for Worlds I sure as hell wouldn't be training so much.

I agree. I enjoy triathlon and enjoy swimming, biking, and running but if I'm not doing a HIM or IM I'm not training nearly as much. I have some sprint tris and gravel bike events this year so I'm at least maintaining some fitness but I'm just doing those for fun so no major competition goals. Somedays I workout hard other days it's more relaxed.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a recipe for burnout? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personsally, I want it all.

I want:
An interesting and lucrative career
A world championship medal
Healthy, wealthy, well adjusted kids
Hot girl-friends
Travel
Interesting Hobbies
Good friends

I can, and I will have it all!!!!

Just not all at once.

Back to you:
Will you burn out?
Hell yes.
But why not.
That’s what life is for.
Just try not to do it before you achieve your main goals.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: May 8, 18 12:53
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a recipe for burnout? [SankaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SankaCoffee wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
colinlaughery wrote:
So you do all of this training for no racing?

Sounds like he has a problem. Someone had to say it.

haha ^ there are worse vices in this world.

Maybe so, but I've seen people displaying this behavior before, and it very often ends up leading down a road that includes eating and depression issues as well. In fact, I'd be surprised if some sort of eating issue wasn't already in progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest scheduling time to wind down before bed. 7 hours is enough sleep for a 28 year old, but are your really getting a QUALITY 7 hours of sleep. That can be the difference between burning out and not. You need time to wind down after a workout in the evening. It's near impossible to leave the gym after 2 hours of working out and then expect your body to just slip right into REM sleep. Schedule some time after your workout to relax, read, hang out with friends. socialize etc etc. This is not wasted time, this helps your body prepare for the deep restful sleep it needs.

Road Bikes, Tri Bikes, Mtn Bikes, I love biking!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your body will eventually let you know if you're over doing it... Unfortunately when it does, you might never recover... That's the true definition of the loosely used term 'over-training'...
Quote Reply

Prev Next