Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is this a recipe for burnout? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm far from an experienced triathlete, but I am a fellow young guy. I used to have a lifestyle similar to yours, wake up early, exercise, work 45-55hrs/week, come home by 5:30-6:00, exercise some more, eat, go to sleep and back at it again the next day. Heavy training on weekends. Then, I got married and switched jobs. That lifestyle was not at all sustainable and I'm still trying to figure out how to adjust. So I'd say, like others have said, if you plan on making any major life changes, those will screw up your training habits quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a recipe for burnout? [SankaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! That is a lot of training on top of a full time job. To me, that does seem like a recipe for burnout. Do you at least do some recovery rides and runs? Obviously, you like the training but when do you have time to put your feet up and relax?
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a recipe for burnout? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no "end game" really. Its just something to do and it is fun. I like seeing how far I can push things.

I will stretch or foam roll for recovery. I never do recovery runs or rides - that just seems like a waste of time since I am not recovering because I am still using those muscles - albeit WAY less than normal. However - I dont push it to the max all the time either. I like "comfortably almost hard" or "this kind of hurts but kind of doesn't"

I also consider sitting at my desk resting. As far as relaxing - I have no answer.
Last edited by: SankaCoffee: May 7, 18 13:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SankaCoffee wrote:
Is this a recipe for burnout?

Yes. I'm speaking from the 50-54 age group. Take some rest days, do some other stuff.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No worries, sleep is quality over quantity. I sleep around 5 hours a day. Same schedule except I'm off work before 2pm. Train 15 hrs at least a week, no burnout for me. Usually don't get burnout until something negative happens along with all the hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have your youth, your health, disposable income (presumably) and no distractions at this point in your life. Why not go all in if it makes you happy? Sign up for something big in the fall and see how fast you can go.

Plenty sustainable for 5 more months. But not long term.

PS— I’m your age, married, travel for work each week. No kids. But 12 hours is basically my max.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you aren't training for anything and are just doing this because that is how you like to spend your free time, just keep doing it. Why does it matter if you get burnt out? Again, you aren't training for anything. Also, just an FYI, you won't get better doing all your workouts "hard enough it hurts" and not taking rest/easy days, that's 100% sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a recipe for burnout? [mdisciple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Single with no kids - piece of fucking cake. I do a 4 hour ride on a Sat morning, I come home, have a quick piss then am off to beach/pool/ride with kids until the afternoon. You can sleep on the couch all day if you like!
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a recipe for burnout? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree 100 %. for 28 year old assuming he is managing intensity and rest not an issue. He can rest when ever he wants. Hardest thing with family and work is time to rest and uninterrupted rest.

Getting consecutive nights of kids needing hugs because scared of dark or sick, then you get sick as you are worn down. Try to train when a bit run down, get sick.

The OP has the dream, piece of pish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SankaCoffee wrote:
So for the last two to three months - this has been my training regime.
I am 28 years old.

Mon - Fri: Wake up at 3:45am, pool by 4am, swim until 5 or 5:15am then back home for breakfast, quick 45 minute nap, then off to work (fairly high stress desk job) until about 5:30pm. After work I run, bike, lift or mix of the two for 3 ish hours. Bed by 9pm or 9:30.

Weekends: Up at 7, then bike swim and run..until about noon or 1pm.

so total hours training is 25-30 hours a week on top of a 40-50 hour a week job.

Ill take a rest day if I need it but never seem to feel burnt. Single so no family or other stressors. it is just me, work, training. Get roughly 7 hours a sleep a night +/- on weekdays and couch nap the weekends on top of sleep. Super healthy diet.

thoughts?

Quick question - How fast are you now? What are your goals?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a recipe for burnout? [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose it also depends on how you define burnout. You've got burnout from training, physically, mentally fatigued, but also you get people that burnout, because they get bored of the training, it becomes a chore. They train and race 24/7 then suddenly they lose interest. So it's important to take time off, not just to rest the body, but also the mind, even if you don't feel like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well - I went to bed at 7pm sunday night. Did not work out monday morning and when I got home from work, I sat on the couch until I went to bed at around 8pm. I switched it up and woke up at 5:30 this morning to hit the trainer for a "light spin" for an hour. I feel pretty good. Definitely had to get over a weird sense of guilt sitting on the couch haha

I have no idea how fast I am. Never did any speed tests or anything, albeit my running coach wants me too. I haven't entered a triathlon since 2014. I did not have a tri bike nor trained and did a sprint in 1:15 hrs. So honestly, I have NO idea.

might do an end of year race and find out. Could be interesting
Last edited by: SankaCoffee: May 8, 18 5:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you do all of this training for no racing?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes haha I know the times of the top guys so why blow $700 on an entry fee if I don't think I can beat them yet?

That $700 could go to a lot more than discovering what I already know - that I am not as fast as they are. So logic would denote - train as much as I can - then do a speed test eventually - and gauge my overall time (given a margin of error either +/-) then race.

if i did two races a year: entry fee + travel + stay. That is a whole lot of money for other stuff.
Last edited by: SankaCoffee: May 8, 18 6:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:

Sounds like he has a problem. Someone had to say it.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a recipe for burnout? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
colinlaughery wrote:

haha ^ there are worse vices in this world.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a recipe for burnout? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
colinlaughery wrote:

Exactly what I was going to post reading through the thread, until I got to this one.

This *2 .

The OP has a problem.

In addition the OPs responses are quite combative, as if to say that they have it all figured out. In which case why start the thread.

I'd suggest they have a look at their mental state/health (for their own good.)
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a recipe for burnout? [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^ mate I am 28 years old...to say I have anything figured out is absurd haha

my shrinks say I am fine but my other personalities tend to argue with them. owell lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you need to spend $700 to enter a race? Just do something short as a speed test. A racing atmosphere is quite different than just training. Hell, race on Zwift.

I'm your age, train 12-18 hours/week and don't see the point in training unless there is a goal in mind. There's so much more to life than triathlon that if I wasn't trying to qualify for Worlds I sure as hell wouldn't be training so much.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I suppose it also depends on how you define burnout. You've got burnout from training, physically, mentally fatigued, but also you get people that burnout, because they get bored of the training, it becomes a chore. They train and race 24/7 then suddenly they lose interest. So it's important to take time off, not just to rest the body, but also the mind, even if you don't feel like it.

Slightly off the rails here, but I also think mental burnout really varies between people. You can take two people with the same life conditions (say family, number and age of kids, work hours, life stress, etc.) and one might eventually burn-out on what the other considers a light load.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SankaCoffee wrote:
Yes haha I know the times of the top guys so why blow $700 on an entry fee if I don't think I can beat them yet?

Most of us race because we enjoy racing, it's the nature of hobbies. You seem to have have different reasons that I don't completely understand. I would burn out with about two days of that training if there wasn't a race on the horizon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SankaCoffee wrote:
I have no idea how fast I am. Never did any speed tests or anything, albeit my running coach wants me too. I haven't entered a triathlon since 2014. I did not have a tri bike nor trained and did a sprint in 1:15 hrs. So honestly, I have NO idea.

Surely you have some idea on how fast are you. What paces are you running at? What powers/speeds are you riding at? I have hard time believing you put out 4 hour training days on weekdays and have no gauge for progress, no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SankaCoffee wrote:
marklemcd wrote:
colinlaughery wrote:

haha ^ there are worse vices in this world.

There definitely are, but you are overdoing the “training” if you are doing it just to be fit. With no specific goal I mind, I would offer the advice to really step back and see why you are doing this much. 90 percent of the professional athletes are not doing this. Throw in a full time job and you are likely doing much more damage than good.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't feel burnt out, then go for it.

Beware this probably won't work if a SO or family is in your future.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SankaCoffee wrote:
Well - I went to bed at 7pm sunday night. Did not work out monday morning and when I got home from work, I sat on the couch until I went to bed at around 8pm. I switched it up and woke up at 5:30 this morning to hit the trainer for a "light spin" for an hour. I feel pretty good. Definitely had to get over a weird sense of guilt sitting on the couch haha

might do an end of year race and find out. Could be interesting

with no speed tests, how is your running coach prescribing workouts and determining progress?
Quote Reply

Prev Next