Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "06 Tour de France: It's a tight race in the polls at least... [cdanrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Floyd will climb with Basso and TT with Der Jan."

He'll do neither.
Quote Reply
Re: "06 Tour de France: It's a tight race in the polls at least... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell I don't know who is going to win but based on all this spirited debate we should all agree this is going to be one hell of an exciting Tour!

I have to root for Levi since he lives here in town and goes to my gym during the off season. He's a heck of a nice guy.
Quote Reply
Re: "06 Tour de France: It's a tight race in the polls at least... [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And if you're after clueless remarks, how about going after the people that think that Hincapie or Azevedo will be the Discovery leaders for the Tour? That would be a good place to start.
I was talking to the discovery guys last week, they think Azevedo is going the strongest of them all. I'll let them know they're clueless next time I see them :-). Popovich has too many health problems this year, he's not well.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: "06 Tour de France: It's a tight race in the polls at least... [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Congrats, you just made my list of people that amuse me by how highly they think of themselves.

Maybe I should tell you how many "Grand Tours" (not to be confused with major tours) I've watched, but I'll just let you know that I have raced in Europe most of my life.

Anyone that thinks that those 3 have a shot at a TdF podium is an ignorant homer. The truth hurts. "

Oh, grow up Paulo, you big F-ing troll.

I haven't said word one about what I think will happen, only about what the rest of the world thinks will happen.

Why do you think I think so disproportionately highly of myself? Because I think you are talking out of your ass on this topic? Good lord, man, if your ego in person was 1/2 the size of the one you present through this site, you would need to carry power tools to get your head through entrance ways.

Are all those European folks betting up the Landis odds on Unibet Homers? Are the Pro Tour DSs who mention Landis and Leipheimer on the list of favorites ignorant?

Of course, as Gerard pointed out, clearly you know the riders on the Discovery Team better than the staff of the team, so maybe you are in a position to second guess these folks...

- and suddenly, you are making a distinction between "Grand Tour" and "Major Tour?" Is this a sort-of-retraction of your clearly nonsensical claim that L&L "...don't have a chance of winning a major tour..." when they both already have?

Congrats on your Grand Tour watching. I'm assuming you mean "watched in person." Not sure how it's relevant, but I'm envious.

I'm one of those poor american slobs that grew up before we had any tour coverage. I remember waiting for a tiny article in the NYT, or the next issue of Winning to find out what was going on in Europe. Not nearly as cool. I have been to the Stanley Cup finals 6 or 7 times, though, and I got a chance to see Pele play Football in person - does this make me cool enough to talk to you?

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: "06 Tour de France: It's a tight race in the polls at least... [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gerard,

Azevedo is a great rider, he got 6th place at the TdF while riding for Lance, one of the nicest guys around, but not a team leader. He's really good when riding for the team, but not when the pressure is on him.

If Popovich is not well, then it's going to be a disappointing Tour for Discovery. I'me pretty sure they can take it :-)
Quote Reply
Re: "06 Tour de France: It's a tight race in the polls at least... [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's always funny when somebody with a childish line of thought like yours tells somebody else to grow-up.
Quote Reply
Re: "06 Tour de France: It's a tight race in the polls at least... [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wish you are right! :-)
Just hope Azevedo can do the TdF of his life!

Technique sets the upper limit to where your fitness will take you...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You seem to have found "Fredly"'s button. Sort of like that easy button from Staples (a US company).

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As much as I am loath to say this I actually agree with SAC on this one. The Ace is a very strong rider and a great climber, but he will have a hard time leading the team and will also lose quite a bit of time in the TTs. Remember when he finished 5th overall he also finished 4th on the Alp d'Huez uphill TT. He won't have that advantage this year and will probably lose a couple minutes to Jan & co. on each of the flat TTs.

Personally I think Discovery will do better then Paulo expects, but they certainly won't be winning the Tour this year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"It's always funny when somebody with a childish line of thought like yours tells somebody else to grow-up. "

Well, as far as I can tell, childish, by your definition = "disagrees with Paulo?"

...and, funny enough, I don't actually disagree with you, really, as regards the riders who are in with a chance; what I disagree with is your telling everyone who does disagree with you that they are idiots. That is childish, and, of course, SOP for Paulo in Troll mode.

And as to "pushing my buttons" - well, heck - that would imply that a give a damn what Paulo's opinion is... and I really don't :0)

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: "06 Tour de France: It's a tight race in the polls at least... [burgerdp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]
Wasn't LeMond a domestique for a couple of years? [/reply]
And lets not forget Miguel Indurain, he was a domestique for several years for Pedro Delgado.[/reply]
And Bjarne Riis was a domestique for Laurent Fignon for several years
Quote Reply
Re: "06 Tour de France: It's a tight race in the polls at least... [jpflores] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The anger and will to throttle every one else on the course. Lance obviously had it in spades. Ullrich has it. Basso has it. Vino has it....but does he have the strategy and patience to ration his efforts when he needs to??"

What you are describing is something I see much more in Vino than the others. The way he won the last stage in 2005 and picked up a spot on gc was classic. Basso and Ulrich have the physical talent, but I've seen Ulrich get whipped by Lance every year and say he was "happy" with 2nd... and Basso seems like a fairly weak personality... not like the "Boss"... not like somebody who refuses to lose, especially when things go wrong.

I don't think Vino will win simply because he has never shown the raw talent... but he has the heart.

Landis? Maybe he has the attitude. His clashes with Lance indicated that he wasn't happy just being his "boy"... they are really too much alike. I also liked the way he worked Danielson this year in the TDG. But... his trainer is quoted as saying that the pressure is getting to him... not a good sign.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]That's not surprising, since glorified domestiques like Landis, Hincapie and Leipheimer don't have a chance of winning a major Tour.[/reply]

Yea, you may be right. He is still 30 seconds back.
Quote Reply
Re: "06 Tour de France: It's a tight race in the polls at least... [jern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good call. Muahahahahahahahahaha.

In Reply To:
[reply]That's not surprising, since glorified domestiques like Landis, Hincapie and Leipheimer don't have a chance of winning a major Tour.[/reply]

Yea, you may be right. He is still 30 seconds back.

Note how he was quick to jump in and proclaim his brilliance yesterday....

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...earch_string;#899989

Quote:

Almost a month since I wrote this... turns out I was right ;-)

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...i?post=866471#866471

-
Paulo Sousa

pstriathlon.com
Disco stu
Last edited by: disco stu: Jul 20, 06 9:47
Quote Reply
Re: "06 Tour de France: It's a tight race in the polls at least... [jern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Outside, looking in, saying I told you so. The spectators... but I guess we can't all be players.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

you still have a good chance of being right...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That's not surprising, since glorified domestiques like Landis, Hincapie and Leipheimer don't have a chance of winning a major Tour.
**yawn**

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: "06 Tour de France: It's a tight race in the polls at least... [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About time you chimed in... :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next