Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
-- you reap the benefits of doping long after you're done cheating.

Not asking sarcastically: do you mind pointing out at a study supporting this? It is well known that steroid abusers, for example, will often struggle the rest of their lives with low testosterone levels, organ damage, high blood pressure, etc. So definitely not steroids. Will EPO keep your hematocrit above say 50% years after using it?

Stop defending dopers.

Yes, there are studies that show this but use common sense. If you dope & get more fit than you would have been without doping, then you're, you know, more fit. That sticks with you.

What's the point of doing the prove it thing here? It ignores a good chunk of my original post. I'm spending my time condoning dopers -- not looking for an out for them.
Quote Reply
Re: [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
The research outcomes aren't uniequivocal but they are pretty clear. Use of steroids increases athletic performance for the test of your life. It's not a hard conclusion to draw either. You don't just gain size of muscle cells, you gain quantity of muscle cells. It takes a lot for your body to reduce the actual number of muscle cells. Someone with 110 cells is always going to have a higher ceiling than someone with 100.

It stands to reason that any promising young athlete should be exposed to a few off-seasons of steroids use before they are subject to biological passport or OOC testing. It's unethical of course, but with the potential reward it's hard to imagine 100% (or 90%, 80%) of athletes/coaches saying no to the opportunity.

The data driven sanction is lifetime ban for steroids. That's obviously untenable. Stimulants, EPO, blood transfusions, etc all can have their own sanctions.

Again, can you please provide a link to this "research" that it is not the one study done on mice? Most studies I have come across indicate serious long term health issues from steroid abuse. Low testosterone, heart failure, kidney issues, etc. Also, there are plenty of documentaries about former steroid abusers struggling with these issues and they can't even function. I am happy to stand corrected and learn something but y'all got nothing.

FWIW, Michael Weiss got busted for blood busting in 2005.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sam was part of a group of athletes that wound up doing some bonus miles on the bike, from what I've understood from people that were there.

To the thread generally -- knock the sex offender stuff off. Save it for when we have a Sutton thread. The apt analogy here is committing some type of fraud.

Love, Management

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me it reminds me of an 100m dash. You can't tell me a doped athlete regardless of when they got popped isn't starting with a head start. 10 years ago it may have been an 8m head start, but even now if it's as little as 2m that's still a unfair head start.

He was also banned what in the 2 year ban timeline, as I think the 4 year bans came in around what 10 years ago or so? So he likely never took any real "time off" from training.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Sep 17, 23 16:23
Quote Reply
Re: [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Sam was part of a group of athletes that wound up doing some bonus miles on the bike, from what I've understood from people that were there.

To the thread generally -- knock the sex offender stuff off. Save it for when we have a Sutton thread. The apt analogy here is committing some type of fraud.

Love, Management

His Strava file indicates an 180 km and seems the same distance as Weiss?
Quote Reply
Re: [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Whatever the WADA and the governing body of Triathlon allow is okay with me. The dude was a tool for doping but smarter people than me say that he has done his time and can race. No amount of bitching will change that.

The most shocking thing to me about those results is that Sam Long can't win a "B" Ironman,especially one with a stupidly short swim.
( and before you all freak on me,I like Sam)

Did Sam get a kona slot?

Everyone has bad days especially after three races and the last one ill and all that travel. Me likely did very good giving his health right now.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cherry_bomb wrote:
I ask this as a genuine question, I’m not totally sure what my own opinion is.

Do people deserve a second chance? His doping infringement was, what, two decades ago? He served his ban, let him be.

Orrrr….yes, let him be as a human being, but not in professional sport.

I can argue it both ways. Interested to hear what side of the fence others are on.

For a lot of people it depends if he's likeable or not. Not saying if that's a good or bad way to judge it but it is what it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i suspect a bit of low dose juice is probably better for your health when doing 20 + hours training than not - avoids anemia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
mathematics wrote:
The research outcomes aren't uniequivocal but they are pretty clear. Use of steroids increases athletic performance for the test of your life. It's not a hard conclusion to draw either. You don't just gain size of muscle cells, you gain quantity of muscle cells. It takes a lot for your body to reduce the actual number of muscle cells. Someone with 110 cells is always going to have a higher ceiling than someone with 100.

It stands to reason that any promising young athlete should be exposed to a few off-seasons of steroids use before they are subject to biological passport or OOC testing. It's unethical of course, but with the potential reward it's hard to imagine 100% (or 90%, 80%) of athletes/coaches saying no to the opportunity.

The data driven sanction is lifetime ban for steroids. That's obviously untenable. Stimulants, EPO, blood transfusions, etc all can have their own sanctions.

Again, can you please provide a link to this "research" that it is not the one study done on mice? Most studies I have come across indicate serious long term health issues from steroid abuse. Low testosterone, heart failure, kidney issues, etc. Also, there are plenty of documentaries about former steroid abusers struggling with these issues and they can't even function. I am happy to stand corrected and learn something but y'all got nothing.

This has been discussed as naueseum in this forum and if you can’t be bothered to search to find what is at this point considered generally accepted that’s on you. It is accepted that doping provides long term benefit to the user. Just accept that and move on.
Quote Reply
Re: [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playing devils advocate here, this is an over generalisation. You cant just take dope and then get good. You have to be doing high level or doper level training, maybe training in excess of doper level.

I heard an interview with one of the jumbo trainers on the Real Coaching podcast. The gist of the relevant part was that in the past cycling was over reliant on 'medical aspects' - getting HCT and HGB at the limits - without optimising training, weight, recovery and nutritional aspects.

I infer now that these non-medical aspects have improved considerably and the riders are a bit more professional in this regard. Training in a much more polarised way consistently and recovering better. & the extent to which the medical aspects layer on top of that can be left to people's own assessments.
Quote Reply
Re: [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He doesn't want to accept it. He's going out of his way to deny it and excuse doping. Not worth responding to him anymore.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you now the boss of this forum champ? someone just wants to understand something better and you act like the king ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
mathematics wrote:

Like I said, it's not unequivocal but it's also not a hard conclusion to draw. There's two types of muscle growth, hypertrophic (growth of existing muscle cells) and hyperplasic (creation of new muscle cells). It's incredibly difficult to create new muscle cells in adults (hyperplasia), yet that is a common outcome in steroid users.

Likewise, when muscles atrophy it's largely due to the shrinking of cells, not a reduction in the number of cells, especially when residence training is continued. Therefore it stands to reason that artificially increasing the number of muscle cells is a process that is effectively irreversible and allows a unique pathway to further growth available only to those who used the steroids.

One of a few studies that shows hyperplasia as a marked outcome of AAS use below. There's not going to be long term steroid use studies on humans for ethical reasons, so throwing out conclusions because of lack of unethical studies is a bit of a force.

None of this is groundbreaking research.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10589853/
Quote Reply
Re: [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure “champ.”
Quote Reply
Re: [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
Whatever the WADA and the governing body of Triathlon allow is okay with me. The dude was a tool for doping but smarter people than me say that he has done his time and can race. No amount of bitching will change that.

The most shocking thing to me about those results is that Sam Long can't win a "B" Ironman,especially one with a stupidly short swim.
( and before you all freak on me,I like Sam)

Did Sam get a kona slot?

Everyone has bad days especially after three races and the last one ill and all that travel. Me likely did very good giving his health right now.
Missed his Kona slot which is why I guess he did the race to begin with. He mentioned before the 70.3 worlds that he was going to wrap his season early but probably decided to try for an early Kona slot at this race. Bummer that he missed it.
Quote Reply
Re: [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't Ironman, Challenge and any other company running a sporting event have a rule that anyone with a WADA doping violation (or above a specific category of violation) is not eligible for any prize money or awards? They'd still be following the WADA code, and not handing out longer bans, but also removing one of the incentives for the cheaters to cheat again.

in my ideal world those who doped would not need to be banned - the shame of cheating would make staying in the sport unbearable. No sponsors, no training partners, no invitations to do anything related to the sport. It used to be like that in my initial sport (track and field). Now it is just an occupational setback.

And the question remains. where were you.
Quote Reply
Re: [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure they could, I mean private organizations as long as they aren't pretty much discriminatory can come up with any rules they want. I still think not all doping issues are the same, and so then do you want to get in the weeds of grading doping violations? Is it a sweeping generalization rule that ANY doping violation removes you forever? So that's just a whole lot of can of worms, so I generally think these organizations will just say "whatever WADA says goes".

And no I'm not saying they don't care about doping by behaving in that manner. I actually think it's probaly the easiest from a biz standpoint to kinda stay out of the weeds of that issue.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Quote:

In my case I like to think I'd pick another sport or something. Move on. CrossFit is fun.

He *did* pick another sport...

I'd argue not really, but I get your point about the infraction being from his MTB days.
Quote Reply
Re: [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you here. It's tough for a private organization to set separate rules when something like WADA exists.

Even if they did agree that there are lifetime ban worthy offenses, finding the line is tough. To me, there are clear lifetime worthy offenses like Colin Chartiers's, but I also can see that offenders like Starky didn't cross the same line.

If there was a hypothetical line, I'd be willing to set it farther from clean than I'd like just to be sure. Maybe at something like EPO blood doping and other things that have no other purpose in sport besides cheating.

All just hopes and dreams though. If WADA doesn't do it, it's not going to happen.

Quote Reply
Re: [ex]Doper Wins IM Maryland [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Amazing that M. Weiss gets to continue to go to Kona.

I've probably written something similar before on ST about Weiss but I can say from all my interactions over the years with Weiss that he is probably one of the nicest pro triathletes you will ever meet. In an era where narcissism and fake nice play well, I can honestly say that Weiss is a just a genuinely nice guy. Now being a nice guy doesn't excuse the doping obviously, but one thing is clear to me about Michi. He just loves sport. He breathes it. What is he to do at this point? Go back to the age-group ranks? I'm sure the age-groupers, many whom are doping right now, would love that *pink*.

I think Michi knows he isn't a threat at Kona so at this point he is just doing this to prove to himself what is possible and I'm more than ok with that. He has served his time. If he was due a lifetime ban, we should fix the system, and also fix moto/medias in races too while we are at it, otherwise let the man race. He may have not told the whole story, frankly can't remember it that well, but he came on here and took his beatings. Maybe for legal reasons he couldn't say certain things, but he made an effort which runs contrary to many others.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Different sports may have different factors to all of this as well - I think finding a line is very difficult / impossible

Triathlon is traditionally viewed as a more individual sport, but is this same life time ban logic applicable to more team dominant sports, like football (soccer) or cycling? Thinking back to an era in cycling where it is acknowledged that doping was wide spread, there would be many pressures from all angles on riders to dope. But a lifetime exclusion only really punishes the individual and won't deter the system / machine that sits around all of this.

The top level athletes (including triathletes) have team and federation doctors that work with them and there should be some responsibility on the doctor to only prescribe substances that will not result in a violation (whether that is because they are not on the prohibited list yet, they are undetectable in certain dose) and to keep up with latest information. I have heard the view held by some is that anti doping means not that you don't dope at all, but that you don't get caught doping - it is only doping when you get caught

Recent positive doping from a diuretic from a Jumbo Rider - Michel Hessmann of Jumbo-Visma Suspended (bicycling.com). If he is on the old school cycling cocktail (blood bags, low dose anabolics and cortisone, EPO) and to 'those who know' that really means the diuretic is concealing the old school cycling drugs, should he also get a lifetime ban?

No one really talks about the role of sponsors in all of this - but its a 2 way street as the sponsors get more money from the high profile athletes (who are 'clean' but otherwise doing other world performances)
Quote Reply
Re: [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be honest, hearing this from you has more of an impact on my opinion than any of the comments that are trying to argue that doping benefits don't last. I trust your instincts when it comes to this sport. Still, I think I'm being pretty objective.

I'm not trying to make any personal claims about Weiss, unless saying that the rules are bad is personal. I believe you that he's a nice guy. But that doesn't alter my opinion that we should want to fix the system around drug testing and punishment. It's not about the person, it's about the system.

And no, he's not a threat in Kona, but Sam Long still wanted to qualify, and now he didn't. That's a material career impact.

I'm sure there are other bad things too, like motos, but listing them doesn't change how I think about this individual topic.

Quote Reply
Re: [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points and it brings up another thing I wish the sporting world could do, ban doctors & coaches (and other supporting personnel) that knowingly supply athletes with illegal supplements.

I am aware that's even greyer and more difficult to set the line sometimes, but I have a feeling there are other Salazar's out there that are better at staying out of the spotlight.

Quote Reply
Re: [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

I've probably written something similar before on ST about Weiss but I can say from all my interactions over the years with Weiss that he is probably one of the nicest pro triathletes you will ever meet. In an era where narcissism and fake nice play well, I can honestly say that Weiss is a just a genuinely nice guy. Now being a nice guy doesn't excuse the doping obviously, but one thing is clear to me about Michi. He just loves sport. He breathes it. What is he to do at this point? Go back to the age-group ranks? I'm sure the age-groupers, many whom are doping right now, would love that *pink*.

I think Michi knows he isn't a threat at Kona so at this point he is just doing this to prove to himself what is possible and I'm more than ok with that. He has served his time. If he was due a lifetime ban, we should fix the system, and also fix moto/medias in races too while we are at it, otherwise let the man race. He may have not told the whole story, frankly can't remember it that well, but he came on here and took his beatings. Maybe for legal reasons he couldn't say certain things, but he made an effort which runs contrary to many others.

What the hell are you writing here???

He’s nice so ….
He’s not going to win so…
Other could be doing to so…
Motos so…
Not sure the story was but hear is my opinion.

Dopers should be banned for life. My Opinion.

Dopers if not banned for life under the rules can return to sport after their suspension. Fact

He falls into the second category.

Everyone in a competition has to play but the exact same rules or else it isn’t sport. Just sometimes a rule help others more the some and sometimes the rules maybe flawed but are still followed. Therefore not broken. This is were an organization like pto that is so anti doping should be pushing for stronger regulations and penalties.

Carry on everyone.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

What the hell are you writing here???

He’s nice so ….
He’s not going to win so…
Other could be doing to so…
Motos so…

Yeah, I sort of understand why someone who knows Weiss personally might try to be sympathetic to him in this thread, and that's fine, but there's a whole lot of whataboutism and hypotheticals in Thomas's post. And that's silly.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply

Prev Next