Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Andrew Messick steps down [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would tend to agree with this. This is the beginning of the transition to a two-day, single venue for everyone, rotating world championship. And maybe we get Kona on five year anniversary years, and otherwise there's a smaller, 1500 person race on the traditional date so as to keep the original M.O. of "everyone can have a chance to race Kona" alive.

Honestly think there would have been less outcry had we ripped off the whole band aid and said "everybody in Nice in 2023, Kona said no to two days and we committed to you to give you two days, Nice will give it to us and you're gonna love it there."

To someone's note on bias about IM -- we're biased towards them in that they are the 800 pound gorilla of the sport and they provide the most live coverage for their events. When they get stuff wrong, we say so. When they get it right, in our professional opinion, we're gonna say that too.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick steps down [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
Slowman wrote:

if you gave me the chance, i'd take nice over kona. yes, there is "mythology" around kona but, in fact, that place is wanting as a race location for many reasons. one of those reasons is that if you live in europe, or the eastern half of the US, or africa, or most of south america - in order words, if you live in 2/3 to 3/4 of the IM service area - nice is a much more convenient venue. beyond that...

nice is a better course. it's not a valid WC if it's only contested in 1 place, and it never has been valid prior to now because of that. you still get kona every other year for those who worship the myth.

about that mythology. it seems to me the legacy of a place is of value to you when you want it to be, but not when you don't. if there is 1 place worldwide that represents the other half of triathlon's ultradistance roots it's either roth or it's nice.

finally, if i'm IM i'm very happy to have a foot outside of kona jail. yes, i was in nice in the old days. 4 times. but i was at the first ever kona event, racing there, and have been to kona 8 times for each time i was in nice. kona is kona by accident. a bunch of navy guys in honolulu decided to hold an event. it outgrew honolulu but could not be produced (by the race's producers) outside of hawaii. so it ended up on the barren coast of a barren island. fine. it's pretty much similar to unbound gravel. iffy location but there's a reason why it ended up there. nice is not a default location. it's a thought-out location. it's the place you put a WC if you have any place in the world to put one and you have the luxury to choose.

messick negotiated what seemed to me a workaround that should please everyone. if you think it should only be kona, okay, but over the last 30 of those 40 years i've heard from so many europeans who are just sick of the expense and time needed to take that trip. for those europeans who want to make that trip nevertheless, messick retained for you that opportunity, just, every second year.

so, bitch if you must, but at least acknowledge that there's a good faith argument made in favor of the current arrangement.

on top of all this, i'm wondering if the expo/circus around Nice will be better than kona.

example: i live in zurich. if i ran a tri company, getting myself and some reps, some product, our standees, etc., all the way to kona, would be a huge expense. are more complicated still if we wanted to make sales. but Nice? we could fill a van or two with stuff and drive there really easily from zurich for a few tanks of gas. easy peasy. accommodations are plentiful and cheap. nobody in the EU/schengen area needs any visas. the waterfront area in Nice is massive and if IM want to make it a real carnival there's potential.

i have been an remain a harsh critic of IM's expo. in fact, of IM's sales team and it's whole approach to partnerships. the people in charge of IM's sales and team have not, in the main, to my knowledge been dedicated multisport athletes, so, they see the expo as simply a property to be monetized. for example, let's say IM could be sold as a race contested by 75 well-heeled AGers a quarter-mil each. yes, that's a cheaper race to produce. fewer volunteers. fewer plastic cups for water. but the same revenue. those just looking at the numbers would take that deal. but you'd miss the grandeur of it. you'd miss the feeling of shared experience. it seems to me just as an observer this is how IM's sales team views its expo.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick steps down [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I would tend to agree with this. This is the beginning of the transition to a two-day, single venue for everyone, rotating world championship. And maybe we get Kona on five year anniversary years, and otherwise there's a smaller, 1500 person race on the traditional date so as to keep the original M.O. of "everyone can have a chance to race Kona" alive.

Honestly think there would have been less outcry had we ripped off the whole band aid and said "everybody in Nice in 2023, Kona said no to two days and we committed to you to give you two days, Nice will give it to us and you're gonna love it there."

To someone's note on bias about IM -- we're biased towards them in that they are the 800 pound gorilla of the sport and they provide the most live coverage for their events. When they get stuff wrong, we say so. When they get it right, in our professional opinion, we're gonna say that too.

I could be well wrong ,but I guess Kona without worlds champ status would be more akin to 70.3 Kona and I guess within 4 years would be less than 1000 participants and then die a death , unless they would in deed come back every 5 years for 1 day worlds for male and female that would be great.
People go to Kona to race the world's or for the spectacle and coolness factor . But both would be gone, and I guess ,we saw this in Penticton ,which was once a big race ,and now knowbody really seems to care about it anymore , while Kona has certainly more status than Penticton is also far more remote

Anyway they have handed Roth a golden ticket for being the most important expo in the Tri world
And the biggest 2 gender in one day event in Tri. Felix must be the happiest person in triathlon at the moment and Andrews biggest fan.

I would guess ironman will organise a great show in Nice this year, they have to, but Roth is the big winner of 2023, since pto and ironman both went backwards and Roth forward.
the fields of Roth have for a good while not been that great but this year it was the best of the best especially in the female field and I guess the same will happen till 2026. I guess we can say this is the first time ever the no 1 race is not an ironman branded race at least in an non olympic year .
This has no effect on a global scale, but for Frankfurt it's another blow where people say on the swim and bike this was the lowest spectator turnout ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick steps down [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
Slowman wrote:

if you gave me the chance, i'd take nice over kona. yes, there is "mythology" around kona but, in fact, that place is wanting as a race location for many reasons. one of those reasons is that if you live in europe, or the eastern half of the US, or africa, or most of south america - in order words, if you live in 2/3 to 3/4 of the IM service area - nice is a much more convenient venue. beyond that...

nice is a better course. it's not a valid WC if it's only contested in 1 place, and it never has been valid prior to now because of that. you still get kona every other year for those who worship the myth.

about that mythology. it seems to me the legacy of a place is of value to you when you want it to be, but not when you don't. if there is 1 place worldwide that represents the other half of triathlon's ultradistance roots it's either roth or it's nice.

finally, if i'm IM i'm very happy to have a foot outside of kona jail. yes, i was in nice in the old days. 4 times. but i was at the first ever kona event, racing there, and have been to kona 8 times for each time i was in nice. kona is kona by accident. a bunch of navy guys in honolulu decided to hold an event. it outgrew honolulu but could not be produced (by the race's producers) outside of hawaii. so it ended up on the barren coast of a barren island. fine. it's pretty much similar to unbound gravel. iffy location but there's a reason why it ended up there. nice is not a default location. it's a thought-out location. it's the place you put a WC if you have any place in the world to put one and you have the luxury to choose.

messick negotiated what seemed to me a workaround that should please everyone. if you think it should only be kona, okay, but over the last 30 of those 40 years i've heard from so many europeans who are just sick of the expense and time needed to take that trip. for those europeans who want to make that trip nevertheless, messick retained for you that opportunity, just, every second year.

so, bitch if you must, but at least acknowledge that there's a good faith argument made in favor of the current arrangement.

on top of all this, i'm wondering if the expo/circus around Nice will be better than kona.

example: i live in zurich. if i ran a tri company, getting myself and some reps, some product, our standees, etc., all the way to kona, would be a huge expense. are more complicated still if we wanted to make sales. but Nice? we could fill a van or two with stuff and drive there really easily from zurich for a few tanks of gas. easy peasy. accommodations are plentiful and cheap. nobody in the EU/schengen area needs any visas. the waterfront area in Nice is massive and if IM want to make it a real carnival there's potential.

i have been an remain a harsh critic of IM's expo. in fact, of IM's sales team and it's whole approach to partnerships. the people in charge of IM's sales and team have not, in the main, to my knowledge been dedicated multisport athletes, so, they see the expo as simply a property to be monetized. for example, let's say IM could be sold as a race contested by 75 well-heeled AGers a quarter-mil each. yes, that's a cheaper race to produce. fewer volunteers. fewer plastic cups for water. but the same revenue. those just looking at the numbers would take that deal. but you'd miss the grandeur of it. you'd miss the feeling of shared experience. it seems to me just as an observer this is how IM's sales team views its expo.

To your point:
Rock n Roll SLC is $5500 for a 20x20
UTMB Snowbird, UT is $2200 for a 20x20
70.3 Jones Beach, NY is $4300 for a 20x20
IM Chattanooga, TN is $7800 for a 20x20
70.3 Indian Wells, CA is $4700 for a 20x20
Kona is $20,000 for a 20x20
~10x20 in Worlds Lahti is 9000€
~15x15 in IM WC Nice is 10,000€

The varying prices in each location suggest to me Ironman has some formula based on square footage available and number of attendees?

Either way the prices, while understandable from one perspective* are unprofitable for most I assume.

* it's costly to hire a guy to map out vendor areas, run a booking website, deal with vendor questions, shipping/setup coordination and inevitable complaints, etc etc. So you can't blame IM for wanting to cover those costs and then build a margin into it.

But it does ruin the "show" to some degree. All that said, it's a positive thing for IM and all its sponsors to have a highly committed ecosystem of companies who want IM to succeed and are actively promoting it to their customers and making it part of their marketing message.

So breaking even on servicing those vendors might be worth it from a growth strategy.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick steps down [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
Slowman wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
Slowman wrote:

To your point:
Rock n Roll SLC is $5500 for a 20x20
UTMB Snowbird, UT is $2200 for a 20x20
70.3 Jones Beach, NY is $4300 for a 20x20
IM Chattanooga, TN is $7800 for a 20x20
70.3 Indian Wells, CA is $4700 for a 20x20
Kona is $20,000 for a 20x20
~10x20 in Worlds Lahti is 9000€
~15x15 in IM WC Nice is 10,000€

The varying prices in each location suggest to me Ironman has some formula based on square footage available and number of attendees?

Either way the prices, while understandable from one perspective* are unprofitable for most I assume.

* it's costly to hire a guy to map out vendor areas, run a booking website, deal with vendor questions, shipping/setup coordination and inevitable complaints, etc etc. So you can't blame IM for wanting to cover those costs and then build a margin into it.

But it does ruin the "show" to some degree. All that said, it's a positive thing for IM and all its sponsors to have a highly committed ecosystem of companies who want IM to succeed and are actively promoting it to their customers and making it part of their marketing message.

So breaking even on servicing those vendors might be worth it from a growth strategy.

if you want to be a good citizen in your host community, be a good partner to the community, help build up the triathlon infrastructure in the community, you make it possible for the vendors in the region - including the local RDs, including the local bike and run shops - to make your race a big revenue week. the logical place for a local RD to buy a booth, advertising his or her races, is at an IM expo. if you want more IM athletes next year and the year after you make it easier for that local RD to buy a booth, because that local RD is your minor leagues. he or she is doing the work 12 months a year to make future IM athletes, to create races that allow that athlete to hone his or her skills so that when that athlete enters your IM race he or she is capable and equipped. this is not hard to understand unless you're a sales artist who honed his or her skill selling MME or rugby or hockey.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick steps down [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya that's the last two paragraphs in my post. If IM wants to quantify things I think IM needs to attatch a customer lifetime value to their racers and then they can do some estimates on the racers created by the local community and "subsidize" their tradeshow to that extent.

I guess someone could argue....what good is allowing the local run store to come in and siphon off value of the customers IM brings in? Maybe IM would need to have some stipulations- you get a heavily discounted booth that's paid for with local tri club registrations for the event?

Anyway, it becomes difficult, I assume, at their level to just say "is for the long term success of the brand" without attaching any value to it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next