Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Flemish Arrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flemish Arrow wrote:
Hey Dev,
Iā€™m glad you mentioned that those were stock photos. I first saw the pictures and thought: when did we have sun anywhere in Germany the past few weeks? Then I read the text. In reality, I wouldā€™ve been jealous had it been that nice in Berlin and so meh here.
If you find your way back the Rhein-Main region, let me know. Iā€™ve got a whole list of nice restaurants to visitā€”much better than the faux Irish pub last time!
Ciao

I was literally in Frankfurt for 20 hrs before making my way to Berlin via 4 hrs for some meetings in Cologne. I anticipate the need to be back to Cologne+dusseldorf once more before 100/100 is over. Right now as it turns out I ended up doing more running than I was targeting (seems like I am doing more like 4 hrs per week vs 3.5 hrs meaning because of running being more accessible while on travel.

I expect to get back more in the pool now and less running
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This morning cruised the footlocker XC nationals course... man that is hard. After that did a dog mile race.

He is definitely faster and has more endurance than our old dog. I was holding him back because I was trying not to throw up the delicious breakfast I ate this morning which still didnt digest and the leash was tied around my stomach tight. He definitely has more in him as I forced stopped him at the mile. Result was 5:24, old dog 5:55 where I had to pull him to finish

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't normally reply to posts, but I like reading the forum quite a lot! This year I decided to join the 100/100 with two friends of mine. I'm currently only one run off the pace (run 26 done and dusted today), and am planning to do two runs on tuesday to catch up. This challenge is very inspiring to me (and both of my friends - we have a whatsapp chat to keep up) so thanks a lot!
Just out of curiosity... can I still register and log my runs on this website as well? I don't really like using Strava, so I'd have to file everything manually, but it might be fun to do so. If I'm caught being too late, shame on me of course! If I make it to the end of this challenge, I might 'officially' join next year!
Good luck to all you runners out there!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Henk1990] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well looks like that mile run yesterday helped my bike fitness.....

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Henk1990] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of those "what a difference a day can make" sort of weekends!

It was overcast and chilly Saturday, though fortunately not with the same 70+kph winds and lashing rain as last week (short video clip). Definitely not looking very wintry, though.

The overnight chill and frosty breeze did make perfect conditions for pearl ice, though, at the upper section of Devil's Creek Falls

(This bit is only 2' high - the main fall is down through a narrow, curved canyon approx 50' high)

The drops of splashing water accrete on the rocks and leaves below when temps are below freezing, and the effect is beautiful

Second run was a bit challenging in the dark because the trails I was running were mostly covered in a thick layer of fallen oak leaves, which served to hide the roots and rocks. Even where there weren't any leaves, I always find it tougher running trails after dark when everything is dirt covered rather than bright with snow.

I finished up just before a flurry of graupel blew in, got some errands done, and headed home. The next morning I awoke to a winter wonderland!

Not quite enough for snowshoes, but definitely enough to make me remember a wise friend's recent words: "If you wonder if you should wear spikes, the answer is yes". I grabbed my ExoSpikes as the trails weren't super hilly or technical and the snow wasn't very deep - not enough for snowshoeing yet (short video clip)

Milder temperatures made the snow sticky, so it clung to even the finest of branches through the afternoon

Second run Sunday was on more of a rail trail for convenience, and the fun of a night run with no headlamp under the low cloud

There's one spot where the trail and the river it loosely follows both pass under a major highway (the 401), and the gap between the westbound and eastbound lanes makes an interesting view at night

First back-to-back doubles for this year, and it went ok - hoping I can put in a few more double days while I have some time off over the holidays. I'm still 1 run down from 100 pace due to my weekly Friday off, but I should be able to make them up soon now that I'm feeling more recovered from that stupid flu.

Quote | Reply
Welcome! I'm certainly not an authority on the subject, but I think you can join the challenge at any time and it will bring in any workouts you enter into the Training Log dated 11/15 or after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Henk1990 wrote:
Just out of curiosity... can I still register and log my runs on this website as well? I don't really like using Strava, so I'd have to file everything manually, but it might be fun to do so. If I'm caught being too late, shame on me of course! If I make it to the end of this challenge, I might 'officially' join next year!

Yeah buddy, there should be a button to allow you to join the challenge. Just manually input all your data if not using Strava. It doesn't matter how far back you need to back date the activities. Welcome to the challenge and enjoy the gains!

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Greetings from black and white Finland. Not that much snow yet, but the temperature (-15 C / 5 F) is getting quite wintery already.

It's good to have this kind of motivational challenges. I'm sure that without I'd end up just skipping too many of my short ~20-30 min runs in winter-time (even though these are exactly what my post-tendonitic achilles tendons needs).
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [TPOR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TPOR wrote:

Greetings from black and white Finland. Not that much snow yet, but the temperature (-15 C / 5 F) is getting quite wintery already.

It's good to have this kind of motivational challenges. I'm sure that without I'd end up just skipping too many of my short ~20-30 min runs in winter-time (even though these are exactly what my post-tendonitic achilles tendons needs).

Whatā€™s ā€œnot much snowā€ in Finland-speak, 2 meters?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
Whatā€™s ā€œnot much snowā€ in Finland-speak, 2 meters?

šŸ˜‚ Even though we are quite north its not that bad (thank you Gulf Stream). Where I live, its currently maybe 20 cm and gets eventually somewhere between 50 and 100 cm. I think all-time-high in Finland is quite close to 2 m (~1000 km north from here).
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay! MistressK snowy pix!

It was a good week for running. I made it out most every day, except for an intentional day off, and even managed back to back double-days over the weekend to get up to +1.

We spent the last several days out at the lakehouse. So, I can contribute to the scenery (no snow here in TX, tho').

Out little house by the lake. We bought this place back in July. We aren't quite on the lake, but its only about 500 ft away (there's a finger less than 100 ft away...but, its only 8' wide and 6 inches deep...so, that's not really the lake proper).

It's a nice little area, and there's lots of scenery to run through. I haven't found any trails, yet...but, it was quite wet, rainy, and muddy. With the heavy clay in Texas that's not really conducive to running anyway...unless you just like 15 lbs of mud, and its bad for the trails.

We have lots of Herons in the area. My wife's favorite bird. This guy was just hanging out, until I decided to take a couple of pix:

We don't get the colors like y'all do up north where it gets colder. But, we've had better than usual colors this year for some reason:

It was a dreary week with lots of rain. But, the bruised and sullen storm clouds are kinda fun, too. There were still enough breaks in the weather to get out and run every day either in light drizzle or even some breaks in the clouds:

Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [TPOR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thereā€™s something really cool about running in the snow, I imagine out on that road the only noise is the crunch if your footsteps. I love Finland.

Iā€™m relatively on track for myself but off-pace for 1 a day. Which is totally ok Iā€™ve realized. If I donā€™t want you run, I donā€™t run, and Iā€™m proving this only to myself so Iā€™m feeling good about that.

I have also found that my pace has increased by about 1:00/mile since the challenge started, and I only had about two weeks of consistent running before that. HR is coming down too, so thatā€™s good.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
[

Manchester road race in CT? I used to live there, never got to do the race as that was my pre endurance sport life

yes-and it's a big race, largest in CT in fact
this year had ~8500 ppl with perfect, but as expected, cold weather

RandMart wrote:
I lived a couple towns over [Wethersfield] until I was 11 and we moved to South Jersey

My grandpop worked at Travelers and my dad worked in The Boat

I love the boat building! I pass it on the way to the hospital almost every day and will see it again in about an hour...

Tom_hampton wrote:
buddhabelly wrote:
17/17

This morning was "harder". My legs felt heavy and both calves were thinking about giving out. :)

My run this morning was in -25C (-13F) weather. The cold for us has just started so this will get interesting.

I still have not done any doubles but would like to do one so I can take a day off. See how it goes.

I find it easier to do doubles once my "regular" run is above the minimum. A couple of things I've done in the past:

1. Slow down to a "crawl" on your regular runs. This will help to minimize the cumulative stress, and improve your ability to recover.
2. Extend a couple of runs a week to longer than the minimum, by 2-3 minutes each week. This may take 2-3 weeks to gain enough "ground". Once you can do a 30m run, you can do a 30m run + a 10m run (with the required 1 hr gap) as a double.
3. Take a day off anyway. Let your body catch up to the stress. Once you've recovered, you'll be better positioned for a double then next go 'round. 17 days in a row is a lot, esp when every run is your "max".

Once you can do a 30m run, that second 10m run isn't too much of a hurdle to get over...since, its only 1/3rd of your max. But, a second 20m run when your max is 20m means you are literally doubling your daily volume when you are already "tired".

some really, really excellent advice for those wanting to push the distances up safely during this challenge now that we've got a solid number of runs under our belt

bluestacks867 wrote:
Henk1990 wrote:

Yeah buddy, there should be a button to allow you to join the challenge. Just manually input all your data if not using Strava. It doesn't matter how far back you need to back date the activities. Welcome to the challenge and enjoy the gains!

so happy to see many new names and a lot of familiar ones on the board!!
I was not surprised to see bluestacks867 back on top...strong work!!

jeremyebrock wrote:
Thereā€™s something really cool about running in the snow, I imagine out on that road the only noise is the crunch if your footsteps. I love Finland.

Iā€™m relatively on track for myself but off-pace for 1 a day. Which is totally ok Iā€™ve realized. If I donā€™t want you run, I donā€™t run, and Iā€™m proving this only to myself so Iā€™m feeling good about that.

I have also found that my pace has increased by about 1:00/mile since the challenge started, and I only had about two weeks of consistent running before that. HR is coming down too, so thatā€™s good.

it is important to come to the realization that you don't have to run every day
that took a while to sink in for me when I started doing this challenge so many years ago

but it is so great to see what consistency does>>>>improved fitness!!

And many thanks to those who take the extra time to contribute pics-
Tom h, iBot, dev, RandMart, NMGal, bullfrog, Capilano Eagle, synthetic, misstressk, buddhabelly, ntl_tri, TPOR, UK2SD, and marcag!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need to get caught up in the Training Log, and my dailies

Yesterday was the 2nd Annual Grinch Sprint - 25-Minute time trial [original run-time of the 1966 TV version, without commercials]

On the TM - started of conservatively @7mph (8:30 pace) then turned it up by increments to finish with 3.22 miles

https://www.instagram.com/...?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Dec 18, 22 7:52
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Family trip to the other side of the coast.. we did Sarasota 5k near my parents house.. was 2 runs short in challenge, made it up with the warm up and cool down. 5th OA, got beat by a triathlete :(

Last edited by: synthetic: Dec 18, 22 7:43
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the 100/100 challenge one of the users has a heart in addition to the trophy. Well, it looks like a heart. What is it?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [sperris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sperris wrote:
In the 100/100 challenge one of the users has a heart in addition to the trophy. Well, it looks like a heart. What is it?

during a previous running of the 100/100 that forum user had to unexpectedly interrupt his run regimen for quintuple bypass surgery. here is the thread on this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
sperris wrote:

during a previous running of the 100/100 that forum user had to unexpectedly interrupt his run regimen for quintuple bypass surgery. here is the thread on this.

"that forum user"

Lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I DID lol, well, more like a little chuckle...good one, Dan

Tom-you'll always be more than that forum user to us
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats to you both!
sub 20 is really awesome

(boy-your girl is FAST!!)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update on that race result, thought I was 1st place masters.. the guy ahead of me I thought was 30.. turned out he was 54!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Slowman wrote:
sperris wrote:

"that forum user"

Lol.

;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a crazy thread. Tom's writing is wonderful. I'm glad you pointed it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Slowtwitch 16th Annual 100/100 Run Challenge (2022/23) Thread [sperris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sperris wrote:
That is a crazy thread. Tom's writing is wonderful. I'm glad you pointed it out.

You're too kind. Glad I was here to write about it, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Things are going swimmingly so far. (well runningly). Due to the holiday schedule Iā€™ve only been doing 2 mile runs lately. Theyā€™ve been less than 20 minutes long, does that still count? Theyā€™ve been added to my calendar, but donā€™t show up in the totals. Iā€™ve been stuck at 36 runs for past 3 days. Thanks for organizing this. Itā€™s the key for getting through the winter!
Quote Reply

Prev Next