Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: FTX and Sam Bankman-Fried [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
Great thread

https://twitter.com/.../1592502805171822592

He didn't do the best at linking the thread but it's all easy to find. Really just epic failures at so many levels.

That and Twitter is definitely not the best format for this complex of a story.

There is an awful lot of this that can really only be explained as intentional fraud.

Hard to see how he thought this was going to hold up for very long.

Don't assume fraud when stupidity and ignorance will suffice. (Not completely dismissing fraud but these folks were clowns)

These people were inexperienced at trading risk management.

They were operating in an unregulated environment.
Quote Reply
Re: FTX and Sam Bankman-Fried [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
j p o wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
Great thread

He didn't do the best at linking the thread but it's all easy to find. Really just epic failures at so many levels.

There is an awful lot of this that can really only be explained as intentional fraud.

Don't assume fraud when stupidity and ignorance will suffice. (Not completely dismissing fraud but these folks were clowns)

Unregulated doesn't mean inflating apparent value of assets isn't fraud. I guess you could say I didn't know I couldn't do that, no one told me I couldn't. But that sounds like something my brother would say. :)

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:
j p o wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
Great thread

Unregulated doesn't mean inflating apparent value of assets isn't fraud. I guess you could say I didn't know I couldn't do that, no one told me I couldn't. But that sounds like something my brother would say. :)

I was thinking more of transferring customer assets

Inflating the price was manipulating the market but its an unregulated one
Quote Reply
Re: FTX and Sam Bankman-Fried [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right, so he was bigly connected, like I said. Thanks for the elaboration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know it's bad news when the guy who handled the Enron bankruptcy says he's never see worse controls in his career.
Quote Reply
Re: FTX and Sam Bankman-Fried [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People in crypto are doing more to keep it from being a viable alternative than banks could ever hope.
Quote Reply
Re: FTX and Sam Bankman-Fried [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
People in crypto are doing more to keep it from being a viable alternative than banks could ever hope.

Speed running the scams that caused the regulations on the financial sector.
Quote Reply
Re: FTX and Sam Bankman-Fried [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewjshults wrote:
You know it's bad news when the guy who handled the Enron bankruptcy says he's never see worse controls in his career.

"to the concentration of control in the hands of a very small group of inexperienced, unsophisticated and potentially compromised individuals, the situation is unprecedented," Ray continued."

That's harsh
Quote Reply
Re: FTX and Sam Bankman-Fried [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:

Truth
Quote Reply
Re: FTX and Sam Bankman-Fried [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ho hum

The Bahamas looted FTX

https://www.cnbc.com/...nkruptcy-filing.html
Quote Reply
Re: FTX and Sam Bankman-Fried [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
He is bigly connected. His parents also. It's a wild story.

Sam Bankman-Fried donated gave about $41 million to candidates, political committees, and his Super PAC (mostly benefiting Dems).

Ryan Salame, another FTX executive, gave about $24 million to candidates, political committees, and his Super PAC (mostly benefiting the GOP).

I think you will find they were making sure they had a finger in both parties.

All candidates and political parties that received money in the past year need to return it to the bankruptcy court for benefit of FTX clients. That money was essentially stolen.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Ho hum

The Bahamas looted FTX

https://www.cnbc.com/...nkruptcy-filing.html

I'm not totally convinced "SBM" wasn't complicit in that, and is just pretending he was coerced to use "unauthorized access" to transfer assets out of the reach of U.S. bankruptcy courts.

"F--- regulators. They make everything worse. They don't protect customers at all."

That's rich. Given that he himself doesn't appear to have put any effort whatsoever into "protecting customers at all."

Pretty much all of my B.S. sensors are going off on the notion he fought tooth and nail to protect his customers against the Bahamanian government.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 18, 22 8:18
Quote Reply
Re: FTX and Sam Bankman-Fried [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
chaparral wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

Sam Bankman-Fried donated gave about $41 million to candidates, political committees, and his Super PAC (mostly benefiting Dems).

Ryan Salame, another FTX executive, gave about $24 million to candidates, political committees, and his Super PAC (mostly benefiting the GOP).

All candidates and political parties that received money in the past year need to return it to the bankruptcy court for benefit of FTX clients. That money was essentially stolen.

There are plenty of laws around fraudulent transfers. Bankruptcy doesn't run on an honor system. If we're going to demand politicians give back funds when they're not required to under BK law are you proposing we demand the same from the many, many, many charities FTX execs donated far bigger sums to?

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: FTX and Sam Bankman-Fried [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
H- wrote:
chaparral wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

There are plenty of laws around fraudulent transfers. Bankruptcy doesn't run on an honor system. If we're going to demand politicians give back funds when they're not required to under BK law are you proposing we demand the same from the many, many, many charities FTX execs donated far bigger sums to?

I'm not demanding anything from politicians. I'm hoping that they see that they have a moral duty to return the money to investors from whom it was stolen.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't know if there's any left man, that 50+ SPF is spendy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
I'm not demanding anything from politicians. I'm hoping that they see that they have a moral duty to return the money to absolute morons from whom it was stolen.

FIFY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am seeing nonsense posts in Yahoo comments (I need to stop reading the things) where people have found a new conspiracy involving FTX, Ukraine and the Democrats.

They are saying that Ukraine took the money given by the Biden administration, and invested it into FTX. And that is why SBF gave $40M to the Democrats. They've accused Ukraine and FTX of helping launder money for the Democrats.

I don't know if it is russian propaganda meant to turn people off the US helping Ukraine, or if it is the typical nonsense we see from some of the conspiracy minded idiots in the GOP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to know if this is an indictment of the broader cryptocurrency market or not. I bought a few bitcoin at an average of 3K each. I've always intended to hold onto them "forever" and then gift them to my kids. I've also always said I'd ride them to the moon or into the ground and it was probably one or the other. At one point my 12K "investment" was "worth" about 220K. Today, much less. This has always been "extra" money and was certainly never intended as a real investment. I enjoy watching it go up and honestly stop paying attention when it goes down. Then I enjoy watching it go up, then down, over and over. For guys like me whatever happens is really no big deal. For people trying to use crypto to make their fortune it could turn into a huge disaster, especially if they panic sell for much less than they paid. I don't pretend to understand it whatsoever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what i'd love to know is whether the fraud was the endgame, or a halfway house back to stability

am sure that will come out eventually. socking a lot of it into real estate a bad look, though
Quote Reply
Re: FTX and Sam Bankman-Fried [RINO Rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RINO Rick_pcfl wrote:
I am seeing nonsense posts in Yahoo comments (I need to stop reading the things) where people have found a new conspiracy involving FTX, Ukraine and the Democrats.

They are saying that Ukraine took the money given by the Biden administration, and invested it into FTX. And that is why SBF gave $40M to the Democrats. They've accused Ukraine and FTX of helping launder money for the Democrats.

I don't know if it is russian propaganda meant to turn people off the US helping Ukraine, or if it is the typical nonsense we see from some of the conspiracy minded idiots in the GOP.

Ukraine laundering money for the Dems is nonsense. Too many tinfoil dots to connect and makes no sense.

What I have heard (nothing but pure rumor and no doubt politically motivated) is that Ukraine took some of the financial aid it has been receiving and was/had invested it in Crypto on FTX and may have had funds there lost in the blowup and subsequent hack. This is potentially more plausible, but has nothing to do with the "Dems".
Quote Reply
Re: FTX and Sam Bankman-Fried [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
is that Ukraine took some of the financial aid it has been receiving and was/had invested it in Crypto on FTX

Possible, but it seems unlikely that Ukraine, at this point in time, would play investment games that might come to fruition in months/years. When just months ago it wasn't clear the current government would exist in months/years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BREAKING NEWS

Sam Bankman-Fried, the FTX founder, was arrested in the Bahamas after U.S. prosecutors filed criminal charges, the Bahamas government said.

Monday, December 12, 2022 7:02 PM ET

Mr. Bankman-Fried has been under investigation by the Justice Department over the sudden implosion of his $32 billion company that filed for bankruptcy on Nov. 11.https://www.nytimes.com/...B&smid=share-url[/url]

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: FTX and Sam Bankman-Fried [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
BREAKING NEWS

Sam Bankman-Fried, the FTX founder, was arrested in the Bahamas after U.S. prosecutors filed criminal charges, the Bahamas government said.

Mr. Bankman-Fried has been under investigation by the Justice Department over the sudden implosion of his $32 billion company that filed for bankruptcy on Nov. 11.https://www.nytimes.com/...B&smid=share-url[/url]

Good. I got the real sense this guy, like Elizabeth Holmes, just didn't know when to turn off the media tour and STFU. I guess when you've spent a decade or more with everyone fawning over your brilliant speaking that you start to think you can talk your way out of any problem.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 12, 22 16:14
Quote Reply
Re: FTX and Sam Bankman-Fried [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
ironclm wrote:
BREAKING NEWS

Good. I got the real sense this guy, like Elizabeth Holmes, just didn't know when to turn off the media tour and STFU. I guess when you've spent a decade or more with everyone fawning over your brilliant speaking that you start to think you can talk your way out of any problem.

He's laying out the groundwork for the ignorant little lost lamb defense
Quote Reply

Prev Next