Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
US economy
Quote | Reply
U.S. GDP accelerated at 2.6% pace in Q3, better than expected as growth turns positive.

"https://www.google.com/...-turns-positive.html"

Good news for Dems with midterms?
Quote Reply
Re: US economy [Trick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Inflation is the big issue
Quote Reply
Re: US economy [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Yup. It is clear that the GOP has no plan other than throwing rocks and giving money to rich people and corporations.

https://www.nytimes.com/...inflation-plans.html

Quote:
Republicans insist they will be better stewards of the economy, few economists on either end of the ideological spectrum expect the party’s proposals to meaningfully reduce inflation in the short term. Instead, many say some of what Republicans are proposing — including tax cuts for high earners and businesses — could actually make price pressures worse by pumping more money into the economy.

“It is unlikely that any of the policies proposed by Republicans would meaningfully reduce inflation in 2023, when rapidly rising prices will still be a major problem for the economy and for consumers,” said Michael R. Strain, an economist at the conservative American Enterprise Institute.

Quote:
Administration economists estimate that two policies favored by Republicans — repealing a new minimum tax on large corporations included in the Inflation Reduction Act and extending some business tax cuts from Mr. Trump’s 2017 legislation — could collectively increase the federal budget deficit by about $90 billion next year.

Such an increase could cause the Federal Reserve to raise rates even faster than it already is, further choking economic growth. Or, alternatively, it could add a small amount to the annual inflation rate — perhaps as much as 0.2 percentage points. Fully repealing the Inflation Reduction Act would also mean raising future costs for prescription drugs for seniors on Medicare, including for insulin, and potentially raising future electricity costs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watch out, I think every Phillies appearance in the WS has been followed by a recession.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: US economy [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even if they had a plan that would work, they have every incentive to not do it. If the GOP takes power anywhere, one of their main goals would be to tank the economy. They know a weak economy in 2024 is good for them, so they will absolutely not want to fix anything. They know they will be rewarded for the damage they do, so they will do damage.

We see this with them threatening to default on the debt, which would absolutely rank the economy. Not to mention we know one sure way to increase inflation is to default on a nations debt.

That is just them being competent. If they have a small majority, they are going to be so divided they may not even get a budget passed at all!

People don’t understand how bad for the economy a GOP house and/or Senate would be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think think this is the Dems fault considering it is worldwide phenomenon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trick wrote:
I don't think think this is the Dems fault considering it is worldwide phenomenon.

What you think and what I think are immaterial to people buying groceries, gas, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Trick wrote:

What you think and what I think are immaterial to people buying groceries, gas, etc.

The GOP has been excellent at convincing millions of Americans that Biden controls gas prices, the price of food, and baby formula. They hope Americans continue to suffer so it will help them in the midterms. Once in power they will focus on the important things........Hunter Biden's laptop, pedophile pizza parlors, and Venezuelan backed voter fraud.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Trick wrote:

What about record corporate profits and the acceleration of layoffs to keep them coming? I don’t think that is immaterial.

Generally, the next phase of this cycle is not pretty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we are headed to a recession within the next couple of months, regardless of the elections.

I'm starting to see construction projects getting put on hold "while we wait to see what the economy does"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

I know, fucking Biden right?

In completely unrelated news... Shell petroleum announced record Q3 profits today.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: US economy [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:

In completely unrelated news... Shell petroleum announced record Q3 profits today.

So.....

I already covered this for Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:

So.....

I don't know what you covered. Corporate greed is what it should be called.

But yeah, fucking Biden.

I mean, fucking Trudeau.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:

So.....

But yeah, fucking Biden.

I mean, fucking Trudeau.

Explain how you arrive at a determination of greed....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Trick wrote:

Exactly.

Inflation driving Hispanic, Black voters to GOP as Americans postpone vacations, eat out less: poll | Fox Business
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have come to the determination that it's corporate greed because it is corporate greed.

The company I work for sells automobiles. Recently we had an executive tell us to start adding stuff to used vehicles. Parts that customers might not otherwise buy... carbon fibre exhaust tips and so on.

Why? Because we can. We know we have customers by the balls so we're squeezing them.

I know this is not just happening at the company I work for. It's happening everywhere where companies can get away with it.

I call that corporate greed. Perhaps you have another term for it.

Quote Reply
Re: US economy [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
windywave wrote:
Trick wrote:

The GOP has been excellent at convincing millions of Americans that Biden controls gas prices, the price of food, and baby formula. They hope Americans continue to suffer so it will help them in the midterms. Once in power they will focus on the important things........Hunter Biden's laptop, pedophile pizza parlors, and Venezuelan backed voter fraud.

Economic illiteracy used to be a Democrat thing.

It is amazing how fast Republicans have captured and weaponized it.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Oct 27, 22 12:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:

Isn't Shell a non-U.S. based Company? I agree we should be pissed a foreign Company is selling a product in the U.S. with record earnings. Those foreign companies are causing our inflation. We need to pull those profits back to the U.S.
Quote Reply
Re: US economy [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:

Isn't Shell a non-U.S. based Company? I agree we should be pissed a foreign Company is selling a product in the U.S. with record earnings. Those foreign companies are causing our inflation. We need to pull those profits back to the U.S.

Don't worry, the US majors are also recording record profits. Exxon reported a profit of $17.9 billion – the highest quarterly profit reported by any oil company in history . Chevron reported $11.6 billion.
Quote Reply
Re: US economy [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
Nutella wrote:
windywave wrote:
Trick wrote:

Economic illiteracy used to be a Democrat thing.

It is amazing how fast Republicans have captured and weaponized it.

Very true
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:

So..... I already covered this for Dan

i don't remember dan feeling that your explanation made sense.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:
windywave wrote:

So.....

But yeah, fucking Biden.

I mean, fucking Trudeau.

So in your mind, what do you think caused the record earnings for shell?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trick wrote:
U.S. GDP accelerated at 2.6% pace in Q3, better than expected as growth turns positive.

Not really, most folks have decided, and more importantly, folks largely discount any and all economic data that doesn't align with their tribal need to attack the other side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trick wrote:

New GDP number not nearly as positive as Biden White House's spin. Here's why (msn.com)

net of net I would say positive for everyone including Dems with midterm. But see attached for some counterpoints.

From the link

The third quarter GDP report does not show a stronger consumer or a healthy business climate. Rather, consumer expenditures grew at an anemic 1.4% and business investment fell for the second quarter in a row, dropping 8.5%. These two categories combined for a decrease of 0.62 percentage points to GDP while government spending grew 2.4%. Even including the nonproductive government sector, these three categories combined contributed -0.2 percentage points to GDP growth.
Last edited by: Tylertri: Oct 27, 22 14:05
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]

Prev Next