Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Nord Stream Sabotage [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
It changes the nature of the bargaining chip. It certainly seems to reduce their options. But that may be useful to them somehow (if it's sabotage, and done by the Russians). Sort of a double down, "the only way out is to go deeper into the crisis" kind of thinking.

I don't know. It does seem like it would be counterproductive to the Russians. But maybe they don't want to get into a negotiation against the rest of the Western world. Maybe Putin likes to try to present stark options of (1) threaten to use nukes, and/or (2) freezing Western Europe with fewer available options to remedy that cold winter, as a way of trying to raise the stakes and bluff his way out of this.

If it's Russia, there's also the implied threat to western undersea assets -- pipelines, communication cables, etc.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Nord Stream Sabotage [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
wimsey wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
g_lev wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
The talking head on BBC said only a major nation would have the resources to pull this off and that it had to be Russia. Could there be satellite images of boats in the area when it happened?

I guess what I don't get is why blow them up? Don't the Russians control them? Why not just not use them if you want to cut off the gas to Europe?

Talking head was saying it's a typical Putin threat, non-threat that the other new pipeline is at risk, communication cables, etc.

The Russians already shut the pipeline down. They haven't been pumping gas into it for months

Right, so why damage it? Is there some struggle going on between Gazprom and the Russian Govt.? Or it was just some way of threatening Europe and since they aren't using it anyway no skin off their back at the moment?

From a negotiation perspective maybe it makes sense. A working pipeline that is currently shut off but could be turned back on, is a different bargaining chip than a pipeline that is off and will have to stay off until repaired.

I don't know a thing about undersea pipelines, but I would not be surprised if repairs can't be completed until after the winter season...which might reinforce the Russians' hand of trying to use cold weather/high energy prices in Europe as political leverage.

But if the Russians no longer have the option of turning the gas back on, doesn't that remove their bargaining chip?

Only the Russians can fix the pipe. The design IP belongs to them. Effectively now the heat gets turned back on when Russia gets their way + the time it takes to repair the pipe.

This was an outrageous thing for Putin to do, a total betrayal of any partnership between Russia and the rest of the EU. He is acting like a jilted spouse. Germany made a huge mistake when they turned off their nuclear power plants.
Quote Reply
Re: Nord Stream Sabotage [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Nord Stream Sabotage [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nordstream 1 has 2 detonations and the next day the new pipeline from Denmark to Poland opens up.

The next day a new pipeline opens

Former Polish Defense Minister say's US blew up Russian Gas Pipelines

Der Spiegel Magazine say's US Forces were behind it

CIA informed Germans ahead of time

Biden say's if Russia invades Ukraine there will no longer be a Nordstream , We will bring an end to it.

Reporter says But how will you

Biden says I promise you, we will be able to do that

Denmark said it will host US Forces on it's territory

The new Baltic Pipeline opens on Oct 1, 3 months earlier.

The US did this !
Quote Reply
Re: Nordstream Sabotage [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
svennn wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Constantine wrote:
Sabotage ? I’ll go with shitty craftsmanship.

Apparently explosions were detected.

I think the US did it.

Why?

Means and motivation.
Quote Reply
Re: Nordstream Sabotage [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
svennn wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Constantine wrote:

I think the US did it.

Why?

Means and motivation.

What's the motivation?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
svennn wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
svennn wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Constantine wrote:

I think the US did it.

Why?

Means and motivation.

What's the motivation?

$$$$
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
svennn wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
svennn wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Constantine wrote:

I think the US did it.

Why?

Means and motivation.

What's the motivation?

$$$$

How so?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no place else they can sell that gas, so I'm not sure why they want to sabotage that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So we’ve gone from a proxy war to real war?
Quote Reply
Re: Nord Stream Sabotage [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any way of a non Russian country using the pipeline to move gas to Europe? Norway maybe? Ifso are the Russians trying to remove that option? Sweden just reported a fourth leak.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Nordstream Sabotage [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
There is no place else they can sell that gas, so I'm not sure why they want to sabotage that.

That seems to be the thing, it's not really obviously in anyone's interest to sabotage it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's kind of a wild idea, but maybe Putin has come to believe that all is lost and this is a "scorched earth" move like Saddam burning the oil fields.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Nordstream Sabotage [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw on Twitter that it was a gender reveal snafu.
Quote Reply
Re: Nord Stream Sabotage [HiKai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HiKai wrote:
Nordstream 1 has 2 detonations and the next day the new pipeline from Denmark to Poland opens up.

Biden say's if Russia invades Ukraine there will no longer be a Nordstream , We will bring an end to it.

The US did this !

Russia did it specifically to get people to buy into this BS narrative. Russia thrives on chaos. This is chaos.
Quote Reply
Re: Nordstream Sabotage [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Constantine wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Constantine wrote:

It’s definitely a curious situation, the thing about sabotage is the depth of the pipe,
On average 200’ deep that’s special diving.
It’s not a continuous pipe there are connecting sections.

I heard a guy speculate the Russians could have sent something down the pipe to explode!

That pipe, although shut down, was full of pressurized gas. I can't imagine it would be that easy to insert some kind of device into a pressurized pipe in such a way that it could crawl a few hundred miles then explode.

Albeit usually shorter distances, that is exactly how gas pipes ARE inspected - with a 'pig' or rabbit' (or what ever else they get called)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5-flTV0QtQA

It may have exploded now. But it could have been send down the pipe weeks or months ago when there was still some gas flow.
Maybe the unexpected outages a few weeks ago were exactly related to this.
Quote Reply
Re: Nord Stream Sabotage [JacobB1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JacobB1111 wrote:
HiKai wrote:

The US did this !

Russia did it specifically to get people to buy into this BS narrative. Russia thrives on chaos. This is chaos.

It reminds me of Russian propaganda techniques being put into action for the war effort.

Quote Reply
Re: Nordstream Sabotage [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:

That's somewhat an insult to Ukrainians. It's very much a real war to them, and while they're getting tons of help, they are very much fighting in their own, direct interest, not the interest of some external influence.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 30, 22 4:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Constantine wrote:

I think the US did it.

Seal Team 6
Quote Reply
Re: Nordstream Sabotage [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

That's somewhat an insult to Ukrainians. It's very much a real war to them, and while they're getting tons of help, they are very much fighting in their own, direct interest, not the interest of some external influence.

Sorry, I meant the US. Wouldn’t a strike on infrastructure coming directly from us be a declaration of war?
Quote Reply
Re: Nordstream Sabotage [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:

Seal Team 6

Hmm. I still don't see a clear motivation for the U.S. There is indirect motivation, but I don't see a strong risk-reward equation. The U.S. is already "winning" the battle for strong EU commitment against Russia. I don't see a clear motivation for sabotaging U.S. partners and strong allies in order to "help them" stay committed.

My theory is internal Gazprom conflict, amounting to internal Russian conflict.

So far in 2022, we've had several suspicious fatalities at Gazprom including the "Director of Transport." I put it at roughly a half dozen high level people with ties to Gazprom. Could be oligarch backlash, "You want to fuck with us? Fine."

Also I'd assume that the larger Gazprom sphere of support and maintenance contractors have the technical chops to pull off sabotage of their own pipeline.

This self-sabotage logic is probematic. But *every* rationale is problematic.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 30, 22 5:41
Quote Reply
Re: Nordstream Sabotage [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
trail wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

Sorry, I meant the US. Wouldn’t a strike on infrastructure coming directly from us be a declaration of war?

You'd have to ask the Russians how they see it.

The US hasn't declared war since WWII.
Quote Reply
Re: Nordstream Sabotage [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Clutch Cargo wrote:

Seal Team 6

Hmm. I still don't see a clear motivation for the U.S. There is indirect motivation, but I don't see a strong risk-reward equation. The U.S. is already "winning" the battle for strong EU commitment against Russia. I don't see a clear motivation for sabotaging U.S. partners and strong allies in order to "help them" stay committed.

My theory is internal Gazprom conflict, amounting to internal Russian conflict.

So far in 2022, we've had several suspicious fatalities at Gazprom including the "Director of Transport." I put it at roughly a half dozen high level people with ties to Gazprom. Could be oligarch backlash, "You want to fuck with us? Fine."

Also I'd assume that the larger Gazprom sphere of support and maintenance contractors have the technical chops to pull off sabotage of their own pipeline.

This self-sabotage logic is probematic. But *every* rationale is problematic.

Seems to me it makes the least sense for the US or Poland, etc. to do it when everyone pretty much recognizes that the most important factor in Ukraine success is the West's unity and willingness to continue supporting Ukraine with war material. Especially when the gas is turned off anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Nordstream Sabotage [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:
svennn wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Constantine wrote:

I think the US did it.

Seal Team 6

I've got to see significant amount of evidence before I am ready to agree that this was sabotage. And on top of that, there needs to quite a bit more before I agree that the US attacked a Russian pipeline.

IF all of those things were true, DevGru would have done it.

But, I doubt they did.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Nord Stream Sabotage [HiKai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HiKai wrote:
The US did this !

Your entire post is nonsensical Russian propaganda.
Quote Reply

Prev Next