Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hurricane Ian [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
Desantis evacuated them early.

They are actually doing just that. They have mandatory evacs in certain zones. I think Zone A left today and Zone B leaves tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Ian [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
RickP’s favorite/worst time of the year.

Hope you’re ready Rick. Good luck.

Thanks for thinking of me. I am on vacation in Montana with my wife after driving for 2.5 days to get here. It looks like I'm going to cut it a few days short which doesn't thrill either one of us. Especially knowing that I've got to drive 2.5 days, load up and then get straight to work.

I'm happy for the chance to earn more money this year, but hate cutting short a vacation.

Best of luck and safe wishes for all of those in Ian's path.
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Ian [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drove north on I65 yesterday through TN/KY/IN and saw convoy after convoy of utility trucks heading south.
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Ian [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well shit. Latest NHC forecast has the track line coming within 10 miles of my house. Cat 1 or TS by the time it gets to me but was hoping we would be unscathed.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hunker down and stay safe everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Ian [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UF closed for the rest of the week just minutes ago. A bit like the gator secondary did last week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife, son, daughter and their respective spouses and children (total 4) have been at Disney since Sunday. Plan to return on Saturday. Park is closing Wednesday and Thursday so they are going to hunker down at the hotel (The Contemporary). I wisely stayed home to watch the dog.
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Ian [spockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My son is an Ian

My brother's an Ian :-) my family is enjoying this one (the name, not that there is a major storm wreaking havoc in people's lives)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Well shit. Latest NHC forecast has the track line coming within 10 miles of my house. Cat 1 or TS by the time it gets to me but was hoping we would be unscathed.

The latest forecast has the track line now about 20 miles east of my house and over the ocean. Earlier forecasts had it 10 miles to the west. We are still dead center in the cone so it’s coming regardless.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it’s any consolation I was driving south from MA on Sunday and there was an army of electrical repair trucks driving south, no doubt heading to FL.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Ian [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoping for the best for everyone in path. Have winter home on FL west coast; can’t wait for next round of insurance hikes, but dang the winter training is good.
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Ian [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
I drove north on I65 yesterday through TN/KY/IN and saw convoy after convoy of utility trucks heading south.

So far, everything I have seen has run smoothly.

Utility trucks in route. Plywood stocked up for boarding windows (I did all mine today), lots of water and food on store shelves, propane trucks were delivering, etc

All seemed spot on given a situation like this. It’s a little more chaotic closer to the water, only a mile from me, but evacuations have been done.

Driving around tonight for take-out food. Everyone was shut down at 8pm. Rain just began to start in Tampa/ Clearwater/ St Pete.

Tomorrow will begin the storm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not want to be in the Sarasota-Fort Myers area. It’s going to get gnarly there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sister and brother in law live in Cape Coral, I'm afraid they may be properly fucked. No idea why they didn't bug out when they had the opportunity. I cannot stop thinking about them and hope they come out OK.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wishing relief for all the FL folk once the worst has passed
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Ian [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
My sister and brother in law live in Cape Coral, I'm afraid they may be properly fucked. No idea why they didn't bug out when they had the opportunity. I cannot stop thinking about them and hope they come out OK.

They are not in a good spot. To make matters worse looks like potentially on the dirty side of the storm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sitting on pins and needles until I hear from them. I texted with my sister yesterday and they had their houses boarded up and the inside all set.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuck, to top it off I now see Polk county is in a hurricane warning, my in-laws live in Polk City. Why would anyone voluntarily live in Florida?

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully they have a two story house and can move furniture upstairs.
7-11 ft storm surge expected south of the eye.
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Ian [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wife's family is Scottish and my dad was a John so Ian got the nod.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I would not want to be in the Sarasota-Fort Myers area. It’s going to get gnarly there.

My uncle lives just south of Fort Meyers... he's hard headed and a history of poor decision making so of course he stayed.

I texted with him this morning and he said "At home. Obviously I didn't expect this."

I wished him luck. But damn it. WTF?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Ian [bullshark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why don't they just bug out now? They are just going to be sitting in a hotel during a big storm. If they are flying out maybe facing delays. What is the point of that.

Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Ian [spockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockman wrote:
Why don't they just bug out now? They are just going to be sitting in a hotel during a big storm. If they are flying out maybe facing delays. What is the point of that.

You have clearly never experienced the exodus chaos of an approaching hurricane. It is too late to evacuate now.
Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Ian [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is true but I would have bugged out a few days ago I think. Rather than stay potentially without electricity in the midst of chaos.

Quote Reply
Re: Hurricane Ian [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Hopefully they have a two story house and can move furniture upstairs.
7-11 ft storm surge expected south of the eye.

Single story......both my sister and mother in law. Polk city I am not sure how bad the water levels will rise in her area but Cape Coral, my sister had canals within a block on three sides of her house.

-Nobody
Quote Reply

Prev Next