Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as noise goes, today's active noise cancelling headphones are amazing. There can be a party in the next room and barely be able to hear it, especially if you have some light music or white noise playing. I can't imagine any traveler not having a good pair of ANC headphones or earbuds.
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Amnesia wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Amnesia wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Amnesia wrote:
Is anyone else finding the whole saga a little bizarre?
I am keeping in mind there are two sides to every story, and the truth is somewhere amongst that.
I have read some nasty stuff on twitter about this, which is hard to know whether what we are hearing from MvDP is the most accurate representation of the events, or it’s just a troll making stuff up. I won’t repeat it on here but it did make me question the events as they unfolded.
My kids would be severely punished if I found out they were doing something like this. Seems like an absolutely feral thing to be doing at that time of night in a hotel. They were guests. Where were the parents?
Was a great week of racing. A shame it’s stories like this that get more coverage.

Yes bizarre, I haven't even read a proper story on it since cyclingnews puts most things behind a paywall now.

There was a thread on twitter, with a new user chiming in saying they were there, have it on film etc. Hard to know if it was just a troll etc or for real. There has been a reasonable amount of coverage over here about it, non paywall stuff.

Why were the girls knocking on his door?

And what's going on over there, 14 year old boys are often enough shitheads, but girls doing this?

Honestly just seems like a prank taken too far, kids being annoying. Knocking/ringing the bell then running. He said they did it 3 times, they said once. Not sure if its a thing elsewhere, but is a pretty "common" stupid prank. Happened to us at our house for a while until we found the little shi$t head doing it and told his parents.

Yes, common enough, just seems like it would be far more likely to be boys than girls doing it.

I don't know that I can assume anyone was actually knocking on his door as a prank. It sounds more like random noise pissed him off. And his comments don't really seem to be claiming he was at all justified. There is more to this story.

I find it interesting that everyone is assuming these two girls were banging on his door to make him mad and that he just couldn't take it any more and made a last ditch effort to defend his room against the barbarian invaders.

That just doesn't make sense.

The Velonews story says they were knocking on his door throughout the night. I suppose it could be incorrect but that's what the story says.

They are reporting what he has said. And "throughout the night" is not exactly how I would put it since this happened at 10:40.

I'm not saying there wasn't a lot of noise or that I wouldn't be irritated. But I'm not sure shoving 7th grade girls is ever going to be the right way to handle it.

It's never going to be the right way to handle it.
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Why were the girls knocking on his door?

And what's going on over there, 14 year old boys are often enough shitheads, but girls doing this?

Perhaps they were Fangirls looking for Annemiek's room?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Sep 26, 22 10:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
I don't know that I can assume anyone was actually knocking on his door as a prank. It sounds more like random noise pissed him off. And his comments don't really seem to be claiming he was at all justified. There is more to this story.

I find it interesting that everyone is assuming these two girls were banging on his door to make him mad and that he just couldn't take it any more and made a last ditch effort to defend his room against the barbarian invaders.

That just doesn't make sense.

For whatever it's worth, there's this short video making the rounds. I donno if it's authenticated (can't get any metadata out of it), but if legit, it would suggest the teenagers knew whom their target is...

https://youtube.com/...nxE0zw?feature=share

As for the broader phenomena of teenagers knocking doors, whatever that garners attention for them, especially if the attention is in the form of ticktock clicks and likes
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
???? Did he run out and grab the phone? Heard squeals.
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea. Can't even tell if it was indeed MvdP, though my suspicion is it was.

The teenager filming might have dropped the phone once she realized that the tiger getting poked might actually fight back...

Still, if someone is able to figure out when that account (with username "hey") was created and when the video was uploaded (and perhaps created), that might answer a few more questions.

Ultimately, I'm still waiting for the security footage to come out, but the video does show that it should be quite believable that teenagers would knock on doors (or hotels or apartments) in order to harass the residents, and film all of that.
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
???? Did he run out and grab the phone? Heard squeals.

Isn't that just habitual for 14 year old girls?
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed, it does look like tiktok/whatever karma bait. If they knew who he was, more virality.

*if* he did go for the phone, i understand the impulse (but of course don't condone it). if that's what the scenario was, if there's no phone, there's no payout

all conjecture of course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/...o-teenage-girls.html

This story, even though from a tabloid type news outlet, seems to fit with the various versions that are out there.
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
As far as noise goes, today's active noise cancelling headphones are amazing. There can be a party in the next room and barely be able to hear it, especially if you have some light music or white noise playing. I can't imagine any traveler not having a good pair of ANC headphones or earbuds.

I have these $400 Sony ones which are insane. My neighbours had a party with loud music and I could literally hear nothing after putting them on.
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:

Eyeroll emoji

So if your kid was shoved by a pro athlete to the point of (allegedly) bleeding, you'd meekly walk away and take it out on your kid?

If my kids did a relatively innocent prank and he over-reacted, resorting to violence, no, I wouldn't walk away, it would be game on. If my kids went past the innocent pranking and were being complete cunts, then yeah, they probably got what they deserved and more importantly, learned a valuable life lesson.
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Point me to the era when teenagers *didn't* go out at night and do freaking obnoxious things. That's what kids have always done, and will always do. What "charges" do you want for a 13 and 14 year old for "knock and run?" That's crazy.

And point me to an era when it was OK for a male pro athlete to (allegedly) touch someone else's teenage girls in anger. He (allegedly) pushed a 13 and 14 y.o. to the ground, with one "grazing" her elbow. You can't do that. I'm nearly 50, and I can't remember any era where it was OK to (allegedly) push little girls to the ground. MdVP might be lucky the wrong Australian parent wasn't there to go after him.

" to the point of altercation"

That's 100% on MdVP. He'd have had plenty of options. Hotel management, large Dutch team staff, police. He lost his cool, unfortunately.

Yeah we were little shits growing up, but we also knew we had to be accountable and that there were consequences if caught e.g getting our arses kicked. Kids are no different today, except they know they can get away with a lot more. Plus thanks to social media and this trend for embarrassing/humiliating/attacking strangers and filming it, this kind of behaviour is on the increase. Smack an adult in the face with a cream-pie, film it, get thousands of likes and earn $$... what's the adult going to do, report a teeanger for getting a pie in the face? He'll be laughed out the police station.
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:

Yet they won’t block out my wife’s snoring.
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
torrey wrote:
Nothing has been ruled out. He denied shoving them and it is possible they tripped when running away.

I'm wondering if this could have been the case as well. He potential runs after them, possibly tries to grab one if them to keep them from getting away and they fall. Right now it's purely a he-said she-said ordeal.

What I do think is pretty clear is the hotel management did a shit job. You've got a bunch of world class athletes that travel halfway across the world for the world championships and you've got a couple dumbass teenagers running around disturbing them

or you could say it was the fault of the Dutch team mangers. The team has people who should be able to handle this kind of stuff in the even that the hotel F's up.
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [RogerC39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RogerC39 wrote:
Yet they won’t block out my wife’s snoring.

you need to double up. Custom or moldable silicone earplugs, then a bluetooth sleep headband playing white noise. This is my go to in close quarters.

sadly i could never manage to sleep with bulky noise cancelling headphones, but they work great during the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh boy, shockingly bad judgment on the part of MvdP, who apparently chased the girls into their room (a third sibling was also present)

Otoh, from the same article, these two girls have pulled similar stunts before, and their parents are aware of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Oh boy, shockingly bad judgment on the part of MvdP, who apparently chased the girls into their room (a third sibling was also present)

Otoh, from the same article, these two girls have pulled similar stunts before, and their parents are aware of it.

For 3 hours? Those are two proper little shits. I'd throttle my kids if I found out they were doing that kind of stuff.
He handled it in about the worst possible way, but judging by the parents reactions no wonder they have kids that behave like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
VeloNews has seen one of the videos, which lasts less than 10 seconds,
and appears to briefly show a man in his underwear chasing two girls in a hotel corridor.

That never ends well.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
echappist wrote:

For 3 hours? Those are two proper little shits. I'd throttle my kids if I found out they were doing that kind of stuff.
He handled it in about the worst possible way, but judging by the parents reactions no wonder they have kids that behave like that.

The best part is that MVDP chased after them in his underwear. Totally relatable. I lose my cool when my kids make too much noise after I’ve gone to bed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

For 3 hours? .

That may be a bit of hyperbole. Or else those two girls have remarkable focus and persistence, playing the long game. Like at random intervals between 10 and 40 minutes. I could see that being maddening.
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Quote:
and appears to briefly show a man in his underwear chasing two girls in a hotel corridor.

That never ends well.

It is a sentence you never want to see written about yourself.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Quote:

That never ends well.

It is a sentence you never want to see written about yourself.

I think perhaps it is situation specific....
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a good podcast on the Chris Miller YouTube channel (good Australia cycling YouTube channel) that starts off with a bit more detail on where the Dutch team were staying and how they approached the World Champs.
Definitely staying in a slightly dodgy area and miles from the start and finish (seems like a weird choice of locations to base themselves from).
Am really disappointed for the image that it creates for cycling and tourism down under.

Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. This is exactly what I would expect Down Under

Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
No. This is exactly what I would expect Down Under

To be honest, it is a lot more like this most of the time (I have no idea if this song ever had any traction outside of Aus/NZ but it was our main drinking song at uni):

Last edited by: Amnesia: Sep 27, 22 22:10
Quote Reply

Prev Next