Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid"
Quote | Reply
Today:
MVDP gets woken up a lot by teens being shits and tells them to fuck off. There either is, or isn't, a shove. MVDP arrested.

When I was a kid:
MVDP gets woken up a lot by teens being shits and tells them to fuck off. There either is, or isn't, a shove. The parents thank MVDP and take away whatever privileges they can as I grew up in a time you couldn't beat your teen at a hotel for bad behavior as they were too old. But if I was 10 or younger, a spankin was probably coming when I got home.

This is where I draw the line on "eurozone" or some modern takes on how society should handle these situations. There is zero proof of a shove, but we know 100% for sure these teens went to another person's room and harassed them. Where's the charges for that?

I think we're not getting it right. Yes, we're at the point we should be to make it clear to folks you can't assault people. But we're also at the point where we've made it OK for people to go around aggravating people to the point on purpose that you get an expected response.

So here we have zero proof of an assault and an arrested person, then on the other side folks who harassed the shit out of someone by going to their space to the point of altercation.....and nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fucken kids.. likely teenagers not a beating. In my day and hood that shit wouldn't fly. It would be easy to find another kid to intimidate that kid, no questions asked.
Last edited by: KKG: Sep 25, 22 6:06
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ask a public school teacher to give you some stories about kids and their parents these days.

The kids are never wrong.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blame the coddlers on the Left
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that they didn’t deserve it, but the article I read said one of them had a skinned elbow or something. That would be proof of some sort of physical assault.
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Here in Trump land (70% in our county voted for TFG in 2020), I got plenty of angry phone calls from the Bubbas and Karens on the Right, wanting to know why I was picking on little Arnold.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Lazy parents doesn't follow a political ideology.

I could say parents on the right have the market cornered on smug abusive bully brat kids given it's who a lot of folks on the right idolize in politics these days.

Neither side "has it right" in totality for parenting.
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Not that they didn’t deserve it, but the article I read said one of them had a skinned elbow or something. That would be proof of some sort of physical assault.

Eyeroll emoji
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Ask a public school teacher to give you some stories about kids and their parents these days.

The kids are never wrong.

All are saints too. Parenting and pride. We have definitely lost something on the discipline side to parenting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Eyeroll emoji

So if your kid was shoved by a pro athlete to the point of (allegedly) bleeding, you'd meekly walk away and take it out on your kid?
Last edited by: trail: Sep 25, 22 6:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
But we're also at the point where we've made it OK for people to go around aggravating people to the point on purpose that you get an expected response.

So here we have zero proof of an assault and an arrested person, then on the other side folks who harassed the shit out of someone by going to their space to the point of altercation.....and nothing.

Point me to the era when teenagers *didn't* go out at night and do freaking obnoxious things. That's what kids have always done, and will always do. What "charges" do you want for a 13 and 14 year old for "knock and run?" That's crazy.

And point me to an era when it was OK for a male pro athlete to (allegedly) touch someone else's teenage girls in anger. He (allegedly) pushed a 13 and 14 y.o. to the ground, with one "grazing" her elbow. You can't do that. I'm nearly 50, and I can't remember any era where it was OK to (allegedly) push little girls to the ground. MdVP might be lucky the wrong Australian parent wasn't there to go after him.

" to the point of altercation"

That's 100% on MdVP. He'd have had plenty of options. Hotel management, large Dutch team staff, police. He lost his cool, unfortunately.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 25, 22 7:17
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:

Eyeroll emoji

So if your kid was shoved by a pro athlete to the point of (allegedly) bleeding, you'd meekly walk away and take it out on your kid?

Headline: Grown man assaults 7th grade girls in hotel hallway at 10:40 pm.

Girls beaten by their parents because liberals are bad.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:

Eyeroll emoji

Have we ruled out the possibility that the injured teenager pulled a “Neymar” (aka diving or throwing oneself on the floor) or that MvdP closed the door in the injured’s face, resulting in the injured’s fall?
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing has been ruled out. He denied shoving them and it is possible they tripped when running away.

Also I find it funny when people refer to him as a professional athlete as if to bring up an image a hulking monster of a man. I know he isn’t a featherweight climber, but still.
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, has it been ascertained that both teenagers were guests of the hotel? That part was also not mentioned in the initial reports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Nothing has been ruled out. He denied shoving them and it is possible they tripped when running away.
I'm wondering if this could have been the case as well. He potential runs after them, possibly tries to grab one if them to keep them from getting away and they fall. Right now it's purely a he-said she-said ordeal.

What I do think is pretty clear is the hotel management did a shit job. You've got a bunch of world class athletes that travel halfway across the world for the world championships and you've got a couple dumbass teenagers running around disturbing them

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:

Eyeroll emoji

Have we ruled out the possibility that the injured teenager pulled a “Neymar” (aka diving or throwing oneself on the floor) or that MvdP closed the door in the injured’s face, resulting in the injured’s fall?

This.

Again, I have issue with a he said she said arrest when the people who might have taken a dive are the ones that were out looking for trouble.

If the teens were not guests, criminal trespass in a hotel they aren’t staying (no idea of Australia).

I guess my point is that these days nobody puts any moral obligation on the instigators. Just the person who lashed out, supposedly.

Part of this one also almost doesn’t sound random to me. Like, what are the freaking chances it was MVDP’s door each time? One in how many rooms per floor? Another team set it up to ruin his sleep and it exploded to an unexpected thing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Certainly still a possibility. I used "allegedly" before every description in the hope that this is all childish embellishment that will be quickly cleared up in MvdP's favor.

Such a shame that MdVP wasn't out there as another animating factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was a kid, it never gets to a shove

First, there's "Shut the fuck up" then there's "I'll sign something for you, if you just shut the fuck up"

After that, Hotel Security gets a call, then someone's mom gets a call to come pick everyone up

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:

Certainly still a possibility. I used "allegedly" before every description in the hope that this is all childish embellishment that will be quickly cleared up in MvdP's favor.

Such a shame that MdVP wasn't out there as another animating factor.

If he indeed had a cold (the reason given for his room being located away from rooms of others on the team), I doubt even he could have done any animating

Then again, the hare-brained riding by a lot of the big teams probably went a long way to ensuring the race playing out in the manner it did...
Last edited by: echappist: Sep 25, 22 10:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:

Eyeroll emoji

Was my kid being a little motherfucker and doing something he should not have been doing? If that was the case, he’d have more than a skinned elbow.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
[
I'm wondering if this could have been the case as well. He potential runs after them, possibly tries to grab one if them to keep them from getting away and they fall. Right now it's purely a he-said she-said ordeal.

surely there's security tape of the hallway? I've seen that movie a hundred times . . .
Quote Reply
Re: The MVDP hotel incident "today" vs. "when I was a kid" [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:

Was my kid being a little motherfucker and doing something he should not have been doing? If that was the case, he’d have more than a skinned elbow.

I hope that's sarcasm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:

Eyeroll emoji

If they were harassing him in middle of night, yes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next