Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
chaparral wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
sosayusall wrote:
I can 100% understand collecting things. I collect lego minifigures and magic the gathering cards. Its silly.

I would think most collectors would be fine with not also collecting large sums of ammunition for their guns. "Collectors"/hoarders in general will want a lot of different things, not a lot of the same thing. I am sure there are studies on this. Also most collectors generally would have zero problems with taking inventory of their collections, and having this inventory known - as most collectors think they have things of value that others want and would be willing to buy.

You are wrong on both.

They want large sums of ammo to ensure the gun is usable forever. What good is an expensive collector rifle if you cant shoot it?

Inventory and let it be known - absolutely not. Would you want your expensive possessions (i.e. jewelry as an example) known?

Most people’s most expensive possession is their car or home. Both of them the government knows about.

Hard to steal a house.

Wrong: https://www.experian.com/...is-home-title-fraud/
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Would you want your expensive possessions (i.e. jewelry as an example) known?

Most of my expensive possessions are known due to having insurance for them. Anything I collect I have my data stored on some database, such as brickset for my legos and TCG for my cards. This is mainly incase something happens to me, my kids/spouse know at least the rough value of these things. Anybody who actually collects anything is going to want to have at least a rough inventory of what they have. You dont have to put your address on some sort of public registry.

Quote:
What good is an expensive collector rifle if you cant shoot it?

many people collect things to display them. No one is wearing their MJ game worn jersey around. People are not reading their expensive comics/taking their toys out of their original packaging. Many car collectors dont drive their exotics. Museums are literally a thing.
Last edited by: sosayusall: May 27, 22 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the nature of representative democracy. You represent your constituents, you keep your job.

Well it's a good thing the Democrats didn't pass controversial legislation in 2009. If they had, they would have suffered historic losses in the 2010 mid-terms. On the bright side, I'm sure the families have some comfort that their health insurance is subsidized for the emergency surgery for the GSW's.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Cavechild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what Ted Cruz has to say today:

“Ultimately, as we all know, what stops armed bad guys is armed good guys,” Cruz said.

He later added: “We must not react to evil and tragedy by abandoning the Constitution or infringing on the rights of our law-abiding citizens.”

Piece of shit.

When your constitution is facilitating evil and tragedy, that’s exactly the time to abandon it, dipshit.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
I don't think many of us would be willing to stop driving cars in order to eliminate drunk drivers. For responsible gun owners, that's what it would feel like to be forced to give up their guns. I think many people would refuse.

Do you think this is an honest comparison?

Cars are transport. We know mass transport solutions are popular, and again we’ve caved to the car lobby whereby cities are designed around the car rather than people. We’re now seeing a reversal of this trend, hopefully those who can will replace a car with another form of transport. I live in a temperate climate, with quite a bit of rain, but we get along just fine with a Benno Boost in place of a car. I take two kids to school and do the weekly shop just fine.

But we know cars are necessary for some - far fewer than actually claim the car is necessary rather than convenient. But what is the claim for assault rifles and handguns? These are not relevant choices for hunting, which should be the only rationale for having a weapon.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only way anything will change is if we have a school shooting in every state every day for a year. That way almost everyone will know someone who has had a kid in that situation. Until then, thoughts and prayers.

I do predict we'll have a school shooting where there are multiple gunmen. We're due for one of those, it's been too long.

Everyone is pretty desensitized to it..I don't even care anymore. I see the news and I'm not surprised. I'm pretty liberal and I haven't even made a single fb post or IG post about this shooting. I just don't care, let's be real, that country voted overwhelmingly red... They literally voted to allow guys like the shooter to be able to buy a gun in his bday without checks, and then be allowed to freely walk around with it. What did you expect to happen?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been called a liberal and I’m ok with the proposal to start first with taking firearms illegally obtained.
That’s the problem with simple minded people who see everything as black and white and follow party lines on every issue.
Last edited by: Hugoswimbikerun: May 28, 22 18:55
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually believe both sides trUly believe there is a problem but tHe belief of cause and potential solutions are so diametrically opposed that nothIng will happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The parents didn’t own the guns….Your proposal is absurd.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [leonmac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for telling us how to b e good parents
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Hugoswimbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hugoswimbikerun wrote:
Good points

If you’re going to chime in on a thread that’s days old and has over 300 posts, then it’s completely useless to agree with someone’s “good points” if you don’t quote their post. We have no idea what you’re agreeing to, nor do we care if you can’t be bothered to quote what you’re commenting about. We’re certainly not going to scroll back through the thread to see what you might be agreeing with.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
307trout wrote:
I don't think many of us would be willing to stop driving cars in order to eliminate drunk drivers. For responsible gun owners, that's what it would feel like to be forced to give up their guns. I think many people would refuse.

Cars are transport. We know mass transport solutions are popular, and again we’ve caved to the car lobby whereby cities are designed around the car rather than people. We’re now seeing a reversal of this trend, hopefully those who can will replace a car with another form of transport. I live in a temperate climate, with quite a bit of rain, but we get along just fine with a Benno Boost in place of a car. I take two kids to school and do the weekly shop just fine.

But we know cars are necessary for some - far fewer than actually claim the car is necessary rather than convenient. But what is the claim for assault rifles and handguns? These are not relevant choices for hunting, which should be the only rationale for having a weapon.

I think its a sort of honest comparison.

The vast majority of drivers never commit an intentional crime with a vehicle, same as gun owners.

There are legitimate uses for both.

Limiting use/posession is therefore not black and white.

Why is it possible for cars/motorcycles to go faster than 65 mph or 0-60 in under 10 seconds? Is it necessary?

Fast/muscle cars are as necessary as high capacity semi automatic rifles/handguns.

Self defense firearms are more necessary in some circumstances than others. Lots of gray area. Difficult to legislate.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Hugoswimbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hugoswimbikerun wrote:
I actually believe both sides trUly believe there is a problem but tHe belief of cause and potential solutions are so diametrically opposed that nothIng will happen.

Actually there is consensus on many solutions but GOP politicians are so scared of a loud segment of their base they do nothing.
https://www.nytimes.com/...ump-gun-control.html

When they do try this is what happens.
https://www.propublica.org/...p;utm_source=twitter

So they blow smoke and blame the Dems.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
307trout wrote:
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
307trout wrote:

I think its a sort of honest comparison.

The vast majority of drivers never commit an intentional crime with a vehicle, same as gun owners.

There are legitimate uses for both.

Limiting use/posession is therefore not black and white.

Why is it possible for cars/motorcycles to go faster than 65 mph or 0-60 in under 10 seconds? Is it necessary?

Fast/muscle cars are as necessary as high capacity semi automatic rifles/handguns.

Self defense firearms are more necessary in some circumstances than others. Lots of gray area. Difficult to legislate.

Note that most states require liability insurance for cars but not guns.

Cars also require training and a license to use. There is regular testing required to ensure people are competent enough to use them. Cars need to be registered with the government. If you handle a car irresponsibly, you will eventually be stripped of your right to use it .

If it's an honest comparison, the right should support regulating guns at least as much as we do cars.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a response to anyone in particular, but a true story within our local family.

Our kids got home from an Easter or Thanksgiving meal at my wife's cousin's house before the Covid era and told us that the kids said there was a gun under their dad's pillow.

We later ask the family about it and they say "oh the kids are just making something up from TV, we don't even have one".

Fast forward to this mass shooting and the dad is all over social media barking about how there should be more guns and no assault weapons ban and evil democrats taking your guns.

So, one of two things:
1. He's one of the biggest hypocrite pieces of fucking trash I've ever met to talk that kind of shit online but claim to not have a gun.
Or
2. He lied to us about the kids and the gun under the pillow.

We had already sworn off ever seeing them again because of other weird/nasty conspiracy theory work at home coder bullshit he started spouting all the time, but this revelation that he most likely lied to us about the gun was the last straw.

Here's the deal. Say you own one and that it's locked or secured and that there's nothing for kids to get into. But he lied, and was a coward, and then went online after this mass shooting with all this bravado.

THAT's the gun culture we have these days. Lovely.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Almost certainly he lied about the gun under the pillow. That’s just not a credible thing for kids to invent. His online comments support this.

I really can’t understand anyone advocating for guns immediately after a heinous event like this where 19 young children were shot in cold blood. I really wish there was a video of the scene in that classroom, because that’s the ONE thing that could change some people’s minds on this topic.

As for your family, I don’t think I would want much to do with them either. I have zero communication with my brother anymore. He was posting a few pro gun memes after the Buffalo shooting, but has been silent after the TX incident. His wife is a teacher. He used to talk about how all teachers should be armed but I think the TX incident has debunked that theory and I’m pretty sure his wife disagrees with him.

I just don’t understand how so many people in this country still think lax gun controls are a good thing for our society.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
I really can’t understand anyone advocating for guns immediately after a heinous event like this where 19 young children were shot in cold blood.
Uh, hope this isn't a surprise, but that's a very large percentage of the millions of gun lovin' americans (who collectively possess over 400 HUNDRED MILLION guns)

Quote:
l really wish there was a video of the scene in that classroom, because that’s the ONE thing that could change some people’s minds on this topic.
l would bet big bucks that such a video would change very, very, very few opinions among such folks.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
I really can’t understand anyone advocating for guns immediately after a heinous event like this where 19 young children were shot in cold blood.
Uh, hope this isn't a surprise, but that's a very large percentage of the millions of gun lovin' americans (who collectively possess over 400 HUNDRED MILLION guns)

Quote:
l really wish there was a video of the scene in that classroom, because that’s the ONE thing that could change some people’s minds on this topic.
l would bet big bucks that such a video would change very, very, very few opinions among such folks.

I’m not so sure. The fact that there was video of George Floyd’s execution got the country very fired up in a way that would never have happened without a video of the incident.

Seeing a video of nine and ten year old kids being shot up to pieces by a kid with an AR15 might, just, shift the opinions of some. At least to the point of reinstating the assault weapons ban.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Quote:

I’m not so sure. The fact that there was video of George Floyd’s execution got the country very fired up in a way that would never have happened without a video of the incident.

Seeing a video of nine and ten year old kids being shot up to pieces by a kid with an AR15 might, just, shift the opinions of some. At least to the point of reinstating the assault weapons ban.

Maybe. But there is video of a bunch of people being massacred at a grocery store and we've all pretty much forgotten about that at this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Quote:

Kay Serrar wrote:
l want to agree with you, but ... since Floyd died, has anything fundamentally changed in the 50,000 law enforcement institutions in the usa?? Except maybe some window dressing, l would say, no.

Kay Serrar wrote:
Maybe. But such a ban would have little impact unless we hoover up the MILLIONS of such deadly weapons that have already been sold. And that ain't gonna happen until hell freezes over ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
l want to agree with you, but ... since Floyd died, has anything fundamentally changed in the 50,000 law enforcement institutions in the usa?? Except maybe some window dressing, l would say, no.

Since this in the context of video, I'd argue that both use of bodycams and the public and media demand for access to the video have become far more commonplace in recent years, approaching ubiquitous.

Whether this has an demonstrable long-term effect, I don't know.
Last edited by: trail: May 29, 22 11:07
Quote Reply

Prev Next