Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
How exactly does that background check evaluate the shooter's mental health?

It's my understanding that if a state legal system has evaluated mental health in some of the more extreme ways that show up as public record, e.g. involuntary hold, legally unfit to manage own affairs, etc, that should show up on the NICS search

I'm not saying that's sufficient or complete in any way. Just saying that it's one way that a background check could verify some aspects of mental health.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
trail wrote:
leonmac wrote:
but can’t take that same $4 and buy real chicken right now.

Sure I can. Still far cheaper at a dollar/ounce to buy raw. Or if you mean buying a live chicken, also cheaper than $4 for a whole real chicken (chick).

Quote:
3/4s of America is now considered overweight and obese.

~42% according to the CDC.

I'm being pedantic. But if you're going to go on sanctimonious rant, you open yourself for fact-checking. :)

Hey pedantic one, he said obese and overweight. Somewhere north of 30% of the country is overweight.

Hey pedantic one, if he’d said or, you’d have a valid point.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Hey pedantic one, he said obese and overweight. Somewhere north of 30% of the country is overweight.

I learned something! I thought all "unhealthy weight" was a form of obesity in clinical description, and didn't know there was a band between 25 and 30 on the BMI scale that's called just "overweight."

I'm still right about the chickens.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing will change as long as we continue re-electing dumba** politicians who are paid by the NRA to block legislation about gun control.....

https://www.newsweek.com/mitt-romney-nra-donation-uvalde-texas-school-shooting-1710020
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
307trout wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
307trout wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

This kid was allowed to buy guns on his 18th birthday and without any form of background check.

No background check? Was it a private sale?

This is a laughable attempt at sidetracking the conversation for someone that claims to want a serious discussion. Laughable because it wouldn’t have mattered in the least and you know it.

No, it's not. If the guns were purchased from a dealer, a background check is 100% required.

How exactly does that background check evaluate the shooter's mental health?

Some might slip through. But most of the dangerous people should have some kind of criminal history. It won't stop everyone, but zeroism is an impossible goal.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All we ever hear from politicians are, "thoughts and prayers".

Is there any line that can be crossed where gun control/removal will ever be seriously discussed?

I naively thought a couple times things might change. Now I'm more cynical and can't see anything changing in the foreseeable future. What will it take or will there never be a change in the US?

There was no real changes after Sandy Hook, and sadly there will be none this time either. The debate and the discussions keep going around and around. What I would wish is for the Gun proponents and the politicians to perhaps zoom out a bit and look at the rest of the G20 countries - many of these countries socio-economically similar to the U.S. On comparison of the total number of deaths of all kinds due to guns, in the U.S. is OFF THE CHARTS greater than any of those other countries - it is a complete and total outlier!

I get it that there is this connection to the constitution in the U.S. And there is a large part of the population of the U.S. that says and feels that a society with more guns is a safer society. On the surface, this does have some veneer thin credibility - if I know, everyone has a gun, then I would be a fool to mess with anyone else, right? But the statistics, some of which are in the first paragraph above DO NOT bare this out. Again, the U.S. has a very high rate of crimes of all kinds compared to all other G20 countries - and gun deaths either by a violent criminal act, or any other way, are off-the-charts higher, as noted!

Whereas, in ALL of those other G20 countries there has been a collective decision made, that a safer society is one with massively LESS or in some cases NO guns! I'll note that this is over 3 billion+ people in the world who have chosen to live this way - compared to the 300 million in the U.S. who have chosen a VERY different way to live - and are paying a VERY high price for that! Yet, I have had Americans tell me to my face - that the 3 billion+ of the rest of us, have it all wrong!! So, by that, I am guessing again, that nothing is going to change

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: May 25, 22 12:21
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kat_Kong wrote:
Nothing will change as long as we continue re-electing dumba** politicians who are paid by the NRA to block legislation about gun control.....

https://www.newsweek.com/mitt-romney-nra-donation-uvalde-texas-school-shooting-1710020
Coincidently both cars and guns cause similar amounts of fatalities per year. Can you imagine if the AAA "defended" the right to freedom of movement using automobiles like the NRA defends the right to bare arms? If GOP politicians would get voted out of office if they supported legislation to reduce traffic deaths?
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Cavechild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cavechild wrote:
My memory is hazy, but didn’t Obama essentially put all his chips on getting Obamacare passed? Immigration and/or gun reform at that time simultaneously with the ACA would have been impossible.

I guess you have a point. They had the super majority for 9 months. Voting on a bill takes damn near an hour. Clearly they could have passed it if they had the super majority for 9 months and 2 hours.

Or they could simply pass it today. They have a majority in the House, Senate, and the White House.

Please tell us you are not that ill-informed.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
trail wrote:
leonmac wrote:
but can’t take that same $4 and buy real chicken right now.

Sure I can. Still far cheaper at a dollar/ounce to buy raw. Or if you mean buying a live chicken, also cheaper than $4 for a whole real chicken (chick).

Quote:
3/4s of America is now considered overweight and obese.

~42% according to the CDC.

I'm being pedantic. But if you're going to go on sanctimonious rant, you open yourself for fact-checking. :)

More pedantry: "obese and overweight" evaluates to the larger of the two values (most likely "overweight"). "obese or overweight" evaluates to the union of the two values.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
All we ever hear from politicians are, "thoughts and prayers".

Is there any line that can be crossed where gun control/removal will ever be seriously discussed?

I naively thought a couple times things might change. Now I'm more cynical and can't see anything changing in the foreseeable future. What will it take or will there never be a change in the US?

There was no real changes after Sandy Hook, and sadly there will be none this time either. The debate and the discussions keep going around and around. What I would wish is for the Gun proponents and the politicians to perhaps zoom out a bit and look at the rest of the G20 countries - many of these countries socio-economically similar to the U.S. On comparison of the total number of deaths of all kinds due to guns, in the U.S. is OFF THE CHARTS greater than any of those other countries - it is a complete and total outlier!

I get it that there is this connection to the constitution in the U.S. And there is a large part of the population of the U.S. that says and feels that a society with more guns is a safer society. On the surface, this does have some veneer thin credibility - if I know, everyone has a gun, then I would be a fool to mess with anyone else, right? But the statistics, some of which are in the first paragraph above DO NOT bare this out. Again, the U.S. has a very high rate of crimes of all kinds compared to all other G20 countries - and gun deaths either by a violent criminal act, or any other way, are off-the-charts higher, as noted!

Whereas, in ALL of those other G20 countries there has been a collective decision made, that a safer society is one with massively LESS or in some cases NO guns! I'll note that this is over 3 billion+ people in the world who have chosen to live this way - compared to the 300 million in the U.S. who have chosen a VERY different way to live - and are paying a VERY high price for that! Yet, I have had Americans tell me to my face - that the 3 billion+ of the rest of us, have it all wrong!! So, by that, I am guessing again, that nothing is going to change

This list of G20? Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States, and the European Union

Yes - please, let live like they do in China and Russia. (1/2 of your 3 billion number)
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
But most of the dangerous people should have some kind of criminal history. It won't stop everyone, but zeroism is an impossible goal.

How many mass shooters had a prior criminal history?

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kat_Kong wrote:

I have a mixed relationship with the NRA. I think the grassroots NRA is fantastic. Educational programs, competitions, etc. Speaking as someone who's participated in a bunch of different NRA programs over my lifetime.

The lobbying arm is bananas, and has come close to destroying the entire NRA financially and in other ways.

I wish they'd formally split the NRA into two distinct entities, one devoted to grassroots stuff, and the other to lobbying the government. With independent leadership hierarchies and independent funding.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the other 17 countries and 1.5B people? As Steve Kerr would say, "pathetic".
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - please, let live like they do in China and Russia. (1/2 of your 3 billion number)

Please read:

"many of these countries socio-economically similar to the U.S." - Fleck

To save time and be brief I did not want to have to write out the whole list - But the countries that I am talking about are - all of Europe. all of Scandinavia, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, a few select Eastern European Countries and SE Asian Countries - NO China and Russia. Perhaps 1.5 - 2 Billion in total population (did a google check and they say the total G20 pop. is 4billion+).

Why did you zero in on the numbers and not the key sentiments I expressed in the post - those are they same regardless of the numbers and the key detail?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [csb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
csb wrote:
trail wrote:
csb wrote:
Remember when a to-go beer was the norm?

I'm a little older than you, and I don't remember that. I distinctly remember drunk-driving being uncool in high school.

Huh. I clearly remember my parents being offered "one for the road" when I was a kid.

And that's my point re drunk driving. It became an uncool thing, rather than just a thing. Attitudes changed.

And the HUGE driving force behind that? MADD. They crushed it (as women do when they decide to get together for a cause). Problem here seems to be some morans are very vocal on the other side. .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't really believe that do you?

What. That they could pass a resolution removing the procedural step with a simple majority, then pass any bill they want with a simple majority. Yes I believe the truth.

But hey I guess 18 kids died yesterday so some old white liberal men can keep the right to block GOP majority legislation in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

About what?
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Cavechild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cavechild uses the massacre of children as yet another opportunity to troll.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutjob uses the massacre of children as yet another opportunity to distance themself from reality.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably not until some high up Republican politician's child becomes one of the victims.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Cavechild wrote:
My memory is hazy, but didn’t Obama essentially put all his chips on getting Obamacare passed? Immigration and/or gun reform at that time simultaneously with the ACA would have been impossible.

I guess you have a point. They had the super majority for 9 months. Voting on a bill takes damn near an hour. Clearly they could have passed it if they had the super majority for 9 months and 2 hours.

Or they could simply pass it today. They have a majority in the House, Senate, and the White House.

He isn't, he is just trying to trigger the libs. Reasonable people know that it is not Democrats standing in the way of gun safety regulations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop voting for republicans
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:

There is a democratic president and plenty of democratic states. What is stopping the change in those circumstances?
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
stevie g wrote:

There is a democratic president and plenty of democratic states. What is stopping the change in those circumstances?

The senate. You need a 60 votes to pass. In this case all 40+ the no votes are of the same party.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the strange thing to me is that in the US instead of talking about prevention of gun violence (ie stricter procurement requirements) the talk is about reactive actions (ie more guns in more hands). This is like saying let's let illness go and work on curing it rather than preventing it..... to me this is the tail wagging the dog. You are never going to completely stop all gun violence but it can be reduced and the evidence is in other countries with more strict gun acquisition regulations.
Quote Reply

Prev Next