Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
100% gun confiscation would do it, but accomplishing that is impossible. We've outlawed alcohol, drugs and drunk driving, but it doesn't stop it. Sadly, guns are no different.

We could easily do a 99% gun confiscation, and we could do it all voluntarily.

It will reduce the problem by 99%.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [leonmac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leonmac wrote:
you know I’ve read through the pages of this forum and as expected it just goes political finger pointing when in reality you should be looking straight in the mirror.

The real issue here is personal responsibility. Everyone keeps blaming the tool but never wants to admit they contribute to the overall problem of our country.

You can buy a meal with a cookie for $4 at Burger King but can’t take that same $4 and buy real chicken right now. 3/4s of America is now considered overweight and obese.

You can go to a doctor and get prescribed Opioids for a BS pain but your insurance doesn’t cover any sort of mental health care to just talk to someone… a $100+/hr benefit reserved for people with money.

The current attitude is that you have to “give your kids a better life than you had” but the reality is you should be raising your kids to have respect and be focused on making the positive contributors to society. In other words, not being assholes to other kids at school.

We lose people to drunk driving in this country EVERY SINGLE DAY but yet not once does any one go after the liquor companies or bars that over serve. We throw that person in jail and just move on.

We have DOCUMENTED PROOF that facebook knows that their FB/Instagram platforms have negative effects on young girls that have even lead to suicides…. but no one does a damn thing about it.

and Lastly… Go down the list of school shooters of recent memory.. and in almost every case a government entity knew ahead of time this person was a risk. The government DOES have the ability to flag people with firearms purchases and prevent them… but the system hasn’t been followed. There’s over 2000 gun laws on the books already. Just for your reference, The Roof kid - FBI knew, Boston Bombers - hell Russia told us and the FBI knew, Parkland - the FBI knew, Buffalo - local authorities knew and probably had to tell the FBI as well…..

If you sit there and say “O my kid is in high school, they don’t like me right now” it means YOU are neglecting your responsibility to teach your kid that if THEY SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING!!!!

It’s a community and people effort not a government effort to fix whats going in The United States of America…

So stop being a Fn hypocrite with your political garbage spewing BS lines of “if you voted for this party the bloods on your hands” because last I checked the Blue politicians net wealth has gone up just as much as the Red politicians has.

Just like you are tired of “prayers”, I’m tired of people always asking for a rescuer to come save them and not being the change they want to see in the world. Particularly on industries they know ZERO about.

Look in the mirror. What are you doing to fix it?

Why do you want to go against the liquor companies and bars, but not the gun manufacturers and lobbyists? Seems you’re arguing against yourself there.

HR8 passed the House with bipartisan support in March 2021 (227 to 203) and it would expand background checks and close the gun show and online sales loopholes. The senate has not voted on the bill (60 votes are needed to end debate and proceed with a vote). Republican Senators are the problem. They are cowed by their love of power and money.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [leonmac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leonmac wrote:
you know I’ve read through the pages of this forum and as expected it just goes political finger pointing when in reality you should be looking straight in the mirror.

The real issue here is personal responsibility. Everyone keeps blaming the tool but never wants to admit they contribute to the overall problem of our country.

You can buy a meal with a cookie for $4 at Burger King but can’t take that same $4 and buy real chicken right now. 3/4s of America is now considered overweight and obese.

You can go to a doctor and get prescribed Opioids for a BS pain but your insurance doesn’t cover any sort of mental health care to just talk to someone… a $100+/hr benefit reserved for people with money.

The current attitude is that you have to “give your kids a better life than you had” but the reality is you should be raising your kids to have respect and be focused on making the positive contributors to society. In other words, not being assholes to other kids at school.

We lose people to drunk driving in this country EVERY SINGLE DAY but yet not once does any one go after the liquor companies or bars that over serve. We throw that person in jail and just move on.

Yes they do go after the bars that over serve or serve under age. What planet do you live on? They even do sting operations with undercover kids or adults at bars where the locally know of issues. Try again

We have DOCUMENTED PROOF that facebook knows that their FB/Instagram platforms have negative effects on young girls that have even lead to suicides…. but no one does a damn thing about it.

and Lastly… Go down the list of school shooters of recent memory.. and in almost every case a government entity knew ahead of time this person was a risk. The government DOES have the ability to flag people with firearms purchases and prevent them… but the system hasn’t been followed. There’s over 2000 gun laws on the books already. Just for your reference, The Roof kid - FBI knew, Boston Bombers - hell Russia told us and the FBI knew, Parkland - the FBI knew, Buffalo - local authorities knew and probably had to tell the FBI as well…..

If you sit there and say “O my kid is in high school, they don’t like me right now” it means YOU are neglecting your responsibility to teach your kid that if THEY SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING!!!!

We've always had shitty parents. We've always had a solid amount of guns in the US. Difference is these days we have a lot of gun culture parents that think it's cool to be "tacticool" and talk that maga-tard language all the time of veiled threats and violence at anything they disagree with. Basically the trash bullies from school that grow up and have kids, and guns. Selling "Suburban Tactical" magazines at the local Tractor Supply store when I was growing up it was deer hunting magazines. It's a perverse culture that's festered and the gun industry panders to it for sales.

It’s a community and people effort not a government effort to fix whats going in The United States of America…

So stop being a Fn hypocrite with your political garbage spewing BS lines of “if you voted for this party the bloods on your hands” because last I checked the Blue politicians net wealth has gone up just as much as the Red politicians has.

Not by pandering to the gun lobby it hasn't, if you want to argue that for pharma or policy about China.........go on ahead. Guns, you can pound some damned sand dude.

Just like you are tired of “prayers”, I’m tired of people always asking for a rescuer to come save them and not being the change they want to see in the world. Particularly on industries they know ZERO about.

Cheap argumentative fallacy, amateur hour troll level fallacy usage. Try harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
leonmac wrote:

I hope you're replying to the thread and not me directly because if you are, I don't know what the hell you're talking about with me. I have not gone after a political party but I have gone after an industry. If every other industry in the world is responsible for their product, why not the gun industry?

For your information, there are laws on the books where the individual who serves someone who is involved in drunk driving can be prosecuted.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/dram_shop_rule

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
leonmac wrote:
but can’t take that same $4 and buy real chicken right now.

Sure I can. Still far cheaper at a dollar/ounce to buy raw. Or if you mean buying a live chicken, also cheaper than $4 for a whole real chicken (chick).

Quote:
3/4s of America is now considered overweight and obese.

~42% according to the CDC.

I'm being pedantic. But if you're going to go on sanctimonious rant, you open yourself for fact-checking. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
velocomp wrote:
Two words: Zero Tolerance

Can you elaborate?

My opinion: I think zero tolerance is a bunch of crap. I think that each action or incident should be investigated independently and proper punishment allotted. I think zero tolerance leads to more explosive incidents rather due to fear of major repercussions for even a minor transgression.

How about modifying your laws when you see a pattern?

How many of these mass shootings are prefaced by an 18 year old walking into a gun store and legally buying two assault rifles, high capacity magazines and ammunition after only a laughable background check?
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
chaparral wrote:
zedzded wrote:
307trout wrote:

Maybe the ultimate answer is gun control. How long is that going to take? Realistically?

I guess in the US you have the problem that many criminals are armed, so law-abiding citizens also want to be armed. Which is fair enough. But that then means there are still a crapload of guns out there. It's going to be hard to sell to the public that they have to give up their guns and their ability to protect themselves and their families.. In Australia 99% of perpetrators of violent crimes such as burglaries, car-jackings, muggings etc are committed by people that are not armed with a gun. So people don't feel the need to carry guns. I think if I lived in the US, I'd want to be armed.

So I guess the first thing that needs to happen is take illegal guns of the streets. Law-abding citizens then feel safe and are happy to give up their guns. But yeah, as you said, how long is that going to take? And is it even possible? I don't know about the specific gun laws in the US. I know some states have mandatory sentencing for criminals that are carrying guns? If not then this would be necessitated.

Going back to your original question - how long is it going to take? Two generations perhaps? But it needs to start somewhere.

Also leads to so many more problems. Like them doing no knock raids or raids at night to catch everyone off guard. It leads to them thinking someone holding a wallet is holding a gun and killing an innocent person.

Once again American cops should be the biggest advocates of getting rid of guns in America, not only would it make their jobs safer, they would not end killing so many unarmed people because they think they were armed. But for some reason they don't advocate for that, almost like they don't actually care about those things...

Because the cops would be the ones going door to door to take them. This whole thread is full of “wanted results” but no ideas to actually go get the illegally owned guns.

Making it illegal will not change a thing. Murder is already illegal. What’s the plan and who’s going to carry it out is the issue if you want to “take” guns away.

This is just another BS strawman argument against doing anything. There are plenty of common sense gun laws we can enact in this country to make us significantly safer.

And even if some guns are banned altogether (which they should be), no one has to go door to door to wrestle them out of people’s hands. Comply with the law, or face a fine if later found not to have done. Most will simply comply.

Most comply with our laws now. Murder is already illegal. Its the ones that don't comply that are the problem. I'm all for enforcing the laws we have now. Start there.

So you’re ok with a troubled 18 year old kid buying guns on his 18th birthday as easily as he can buy a smoothie? He complied with all our laws right up until he killed 19 kids.

Tell the parents of those kids that makes sense. And imagine it was one of your kids who died at school aged 10. I can guarantee your stance on guns would have changed if it was one of your kids.

OK - with kids being murdered? Of course not and your a dick for implying that. Didn't take you long to resort to that, so have a good day.

Per CNN - "He was engaged by an Uvalde ISD police officer who works here at the school. And then after that, he was engaged by two other officers from the Uvalde Police Department,"

Why couldn't 3 officers stop him? If they did their job - zero kids killed.

So you’ve pivoted away from “let the law do its job after the event and that will sort this out” to “this mass shooting wasn’t the fault of the gunman who did the shooting”.

That is some fucked up thinking.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
leonmac wrote:

Why do you want to go against the liquor companies and bars, but not the gun manufacturers and lobbyists? Seems you’re arguing against yourself there.

HR8 passed the House with bipartisan support in March 2021 (227 to 203) and it would expand background checks and close the gun show and online sales loopholes. The senate has not voted on the bill (60 votes are needed to end debate and proceed with a vote). Republican Senators are the problem. They are cowed by their love of power and money.

The fucking dumbest thing here is that it does not take 60 votes to pass, only to end debate. So GOP senators could vote to end debate and then not vote for the bill. That is how it used to work. Lots of bills passed by a simple majority after debate had ended.

Instead we have the dumbest possible system where votes to end debate are treated just the same as the vote for the bill itself, but then why have both votes? If having to get 60 votes is a good thing, then why don’t we have that for threshold for the bill itself?

Not to mention you need 60 votes to end debate on creating some new program, but you only need 51 votes to stop funding that program. So just asymmetrical.

Just such a dumb system.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [southpaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
southpaw wrote:
leonmac wrote:

Voting for people who say they want to enact reasonable reforms on gun sale and ownership.

This. And I’m telling everyone else to do the same, including leonmac.

Leonmac, vote for people who say they want to enact reasonable reforms on gun sale and ownership. You hear?
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My memory is hazy, but didn’t Obama essentially put all his chips on getting Obamacare passed? Immigration and/or gun reform at that time simultaneously with the ACA would have been impossible.

I guess you have a point. They had the super majority for 9 months. Voting on a bill takes damn near an hour. Clearly they could have passed it if they had the super majority for 9 months and 2 hours.

Or they could simply pass it today. They have a majority in the House, Senate, and the White House.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
20 Police officers have been killed in the line of duty this year by guns.

There have been 27 school shootings so far this year. In those, 27 people were killed of which 24 were children.

That's fucked up.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Cavechild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cavechild wrote:
My memory is hazy, but didn’t Obama essentially put all his chips on getting Obamacare passed? Immigration and/or gun reform at that time simultaneously with the ACA would have been impossible.

I guess you have a point. They had the super majority for 9 months. Voting on a bill takes damn near an hour. Clearly they could have passed it if they had the super majority for 9 months and 2 hours.

Or they could simply pass it today. They have a majority in the House, Senate, and the White House.

You don't really believe that do you?
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:

Per CNN - "He was engaged by an Uvalde ISD police officer who works here at the school. And then after that, he was engaged by two other officers from the Uvalde Police Department,"

Why couldn't 3 officers stop him? If they did their job - zero kids killed.

So you’ve pivoted away from “let the law do its job after the event and that will sort this out” to “this mass shooting wasn’t the fault of the gunman who did the shooting”.

That is some fucked up thinking.

Agree.

The whole good-guy-with-a-gun fantasy is so stupid because it’s promising gun battles to stop gun killings? I’m sorry— but I don’t want gun battles all across America. No thank you.

The good-guy-with-a-gun fantasy is just a pathetic longing to be a hero. It is so far from reality— it is truly pathetic.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
SWEDE63 wrote:
All we ever hear from politicians are, "thoughts and prayers".

Is there any line that can be crossed where gun control/removal will ever be seriously discussed?

I naively thought a couple times things might change. Now I'm more cynical and can't see anything changing in the foreseeable future. What will it take or will there never be a change in the US?[/quote

almost a decade after Sandyhook, nothing has changed... nothing will change, America has accepted this as status quo.

Personally, i think it will take something personal happening to a politician or a politician's family before anything will happen. BUt it would need to be somebody pretty high up in the hierarchy. Personal is political.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Wow.

Telling it like it is.

In case you weren't aware, Steve Kerr's father was assassinated when SK was 19 years old.

https://www.marca.com/...2601da04e8b45ec.html

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
The US population also consumes 90%+ of the world's hydrocodone, even though we are only 350M out of a world population of close to 8B. The point of this is the US somehow has to be the extreme for a lot of strange stuff. Gun ownership and dependence on opioids being two of them.

I don't know what to do about these issues. On social media, I see a lot of people getting mad because the Texas shooter, and the Buffalo shooter, are touted as having mental illness. Yes, its hate in their blood but they have to have some kind of mental illness to push them to the point of taking this kind of drastic action. No sane, reasonable person would do this.

This also leads me to think, what has changed in our country over the years. Yes we own a lot of guns now but people, at least where I grew up, have always owned a lot of guns. Hell, we use to have hunting rifles on a gun rack in our truck in the school parking lot. Friends would have pistols in their glove compartment. And these cars were sitting in the school parking lot with everyone knowing these guns were there. Most were in plain sight if you simply look through the back window of several trucks there. But, despite plenty of fights, being mad at teachers, or pissed off at relationships, no one ever thought to go grab one of these guns and shoot up a classroom. Something has changed about the mental processing of our society, and I don't know how to explain it, but it's definitely contributing to a lot of our current issues.

Yup. People have always had guns. Then America became more urbanized. The number of hunters dropped. The gun industry needed to grow their customer base and did so by targeting new users outside the usual, responsible, base.

The result is a disaffected 18 year old with no training, limited background check, and no community guidance can go buy an armory.

The vast majority of American gun owners are good, reasonable, responsible people. They need to stand up to their politicians get them to do the right thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
It probably isn't going to change until we stop voting for these people. We are getting what we ask for.

To my (unAmerican ) eyes...this looks absolutely freakish ! Brainwash'em young eh
Last edited by: shady: May 25, 22 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
This kid was allowed to buy guns on his 18th birthday and without any form of background check.

No background check? Was it a private sale?

This is a laughable attempt at sidetracking the conversation for someone that claims to want a serious discussion. Laughable because it wouldn’t have mattered in the least and you know it.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
307trout wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
This kid was allowed to buy guns on his 18th birthday and without any form of background check.

This is a laughable attempt at sidetracking the conversation for someone that claims to want a serious discussion. Laughable because it wouldn’t have mattered in the least and you know it.

No, it's not. If the guns were purchased from a dealer, a background check is 100% required.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:

The vast majority of American gun owners are good, reasonable, responsible people. They need to stand up to their politicians get them to do the right thing.

while this is true, it is not as true as we would like to believe.

approximately 1 in 100 gun owners use their gun(s) to perpetrate a crime. This means that we are selling guns to people will ill-intent on a regular basis. IF it was the 1 in 100,000 that trout suggested earlier then it would be correct to feel that background checks are useless.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it will take another two generations for this issue to resolve, or atleast greatly diminish. We didn't have these events when I was a kid. Guns were very prevalent where I grew up - we could go out with .22s and shoot up cans and such anytime. Most of us also went through gun safety courses (I grew up on a military base until I hit high school, when we moved into the town adjacent to the base). Of course, we didn't run around with guns while on the base. My dad was an avid hunter as were all of his buddies. One of my sisters was a competitive sharpshooter. Guns were readily accessible.

These kids today who are students at these schools where these shootings have and will occur, and in schools where active shooter safety drills are the norm, will grow up and be leaders in the future. Their view will be vastly different than the view we see today and I believe they will not have any fear or resistance to address these issues head-on. The current HS and college generation are still exposed to gangsta rap riddled with gun images/glorification and parents who are 2A stalwarts, but that will change with the generation after (IMHO).

As for this moment in time, more security in schools is the easiest/most immediate answer since there's no reasonable path to legislation, or atleast legislation that will be effective. While new gun owners increase, I suspect more of the newer gun owners are very supportive of stricter gun laws (like my mother who now owns a handgun at the age of 86 for security).

Unfortunately, for now, we will just continue to vent anger and frustration across the political divide and post emotional messages on social media and places like ST. Call each other names. Not take a scientific look at the data available in order to enact actions that will effectively minimize these horrible events. We will direct people to vote tribally, etc. You know, the easy, lazy way to address serious issues while not changing anything. Pretending that if only one political party had control (as in CA) it would all magically change.

I'd be for a constitutional amendment, which is what I believe will be ultimately required. Again, I may be dead by the time this happens, but I believe it will. Getting illegal guns out of circulation will also take a very, very long time.

I have two kids who are now 20 and 23 yrs old. They have not been exposed to guns but have friends (one has a boyfriend who is in the Marine Corps) who own and use guns regularly. Girl friends in their early 20s who own handguns and have been through gun safety training. I'm not opposed to my girls taking gun safety courses and shooting at a gun range but we are not comfortable having guns in our home. Of their friends / boyfriends with whom I've broached this topic, all are strongly supportive of very strict gun laws, including mandatory training, certification, etc. (For the record, this would be approx 15 kids and an even split between Dems/Pubs/Independents for what that's worth). They don't seem to view the NRA as the enemy as the NRA programs were involved in their safety training (I don't know how this works, exactly) and there does not seem to be any connection with mass killing and actual members of the NRA. IF the NRA survives the next generation or two, it's likely to be run by far more moderate leaders than we see today - again, IMHO. (I highly doubt the NRA survives.) I would strongly support a government department responsible for gun registration, training, certification, regulatory enforcement, etc. Like we use the FAA for pilot license management/oversight. Maybe expand the ATF?

I also don't believe comparisons between the US and other countries is useful on this particular topic. The country is so large, has been ingrained with guns from the founding, has the 2A, and is very diverse. And the dynamic of specific school shootings is generally a new phenomenon. Like immigration, not one single action is going to make a difference, it will require a series of actions taken simultaneously to make a real change - harder to purchase guns and ammo, red flag laws, liability, etc etc.

I remain skeptical in the short term but very optimistic in the longer term.
Last edited by: JD21: May 25, 22 11:23
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
307trout wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

No, it's not. If the guns were purchased from a dealer, a background check is 100% required.

How exactly does that background check evaluate the shooter's mental health?
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
Thom wrote:
It probably isn't going to change until we stop voting for these people. We are getting what we ask for.

That fuckwit from GA 14, mtg, won primary with about 70%. Dem won his primary with many fewer votes. At least GA Repubs booted trumps candidates for gov and SOS. Unfortunately, kemp the r gov winner had gun he toted around in commercials.

To my (unAmerican ) eyes...this looks absolutely freakish ! Brainwash'em young eh
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Cavechild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cavechild wrote:

See post #202 and then come back and tell us why the Dems can’t pass HR8 today. Try to be honest for once.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
leonmac wrote:
but can’t take that same $4 and buy real chicken right now.

Sure I can. Still far cheaper at a dollar/ounce to buy raw. Or if you mean buying a live chicken, also cheaper than $4 for a whole real chicken (chick).

Quote:
3/4s of America is now considered overweight and obese.

~42% according to the CDC.

I'm being pedantic. But if you're going to go on sanctimonious rant, you open yourself for fact-checking. :)

Hey pedantic one, he said obese and overweight. Somewhere north of 30% of the country is overweight.
Quote Reply

Prev Next