Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
307trout wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
307trout wrote:
runski09 wrote:
In the US, now?
Nothing. We could have 2-4 such school shootings a day for the next 3 years and the republicans would still fight tooth nail and for their lives to keep the gun laws as loose as possible. No concessions from them. Ever. Prove me wrong.

I don't think you can place it completely on Republican leadership, even though it's easy to demonize them (especially in the LR). Even without Republican leadership concessions, and specifically against their wishes, there are certain states with significant gun restrictions. It has happened. There are examples. The bottom line is that the gun control advocates simply don't have the votes across the country.

This kid, who by some initial accounts, seems to have been a little troubled, walked into a gun store upon turning 18 years old, and had no issue buying a gun. I think the majority of the population is in favor of some controls that would stop this kid being able to have done that. There is only one political party he’ll bent on stopping such measures being implemented. Stop kidding yourself.

What kind of controls exactly? Would they have helped in this case?

What are the unintended consequences to the 99.99999% of gun owners who never commit acts of violence with a firearm?

Assume that you can look at the issue with genuine interest in reform without obliterating the rights of those who don't share your view/bias.

I'd google the guy but I don't want to give the pathetic cunt the satisfaction/notoriety that he obviously sought.

The only reference to the actual gun(s) I've seen said "a handgun and possibly a rifle".

How about starting with having to be 21 to buy a gun?

And part of the problem with guns in this country is the sheer number and availability of them. Sure, most are owned by law abiding citizens, and they don’t use them to kill people, but the easy availability and large quantities of guns means our rates of gun deaths are far above those of other western countries. As Zed says about Australia, he can no longer buy an AR-15, but look at the consequences in terms of far fewer gun deaths. Or is it so important that he should be allowed to buy an AR-15 so he can shoot some tin cans at the weekend that Australians should tolerate mass shootings? Because that seems to be the crux of your argument for gun ownership here in the US.

Why the need to control the item rather than a desire to deal with the root cause? Knife deaths are three times more prevalent in Europe than firearm deaths...leading for some to call for a ban on knives.

As I've always said. You can throw a pile of weapons, military grade or otherwise into a group of responsible emotionally stable people and no one will get hurt. You can drop a plastic spork into a prison yard...and someone's going to get shanked.

The problem is not the gun, the problem is the people. Mabey, just maybe, if we spent more time on trying to prevent people from getting to the point of wanting to kill other people, guns would no longer be an issue.

Your last paragraph is nonsense. The US is not special. You have a much higher gun homicide rate because you have more guns. So yes, guns are the problem. To say otherwise is to be fooled by NRA nonsense. Fewer guns equals less gun violence. End. Of. Story.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [justcallmejoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you look at what happened and think everyone is focused on something that isn't the real problem, I really don't know what to tell you.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Look forward to the next thread exactly like this one after the next school shooting. I get it. It makes people feel good to discuss what could help. Nothing will be done in our lifetimes. Maybe our grandchildren will be wiser.

I'll have genuine conversations about gun control. Honestly. I truly understand and find some merit in SOME of the arguments for gun control.

Will you train with and carry a concealed firearm? Will you accept that responsibility? Or is this an instance of "they" should do something???

Why don't these guys attack/shoot up a police station? Why do they always choose soft targets where they KNOW that nobody will shoot back?

The government can't save you from everything.

I can't legislate away evil, but I can fight back.

Until the laws are changed and guns are gone (which may be necessary), are you just going to wait? Do nothing other than blame the Republicans or the NRA? Hope and pray?

What are you going to do?

Nothing.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night. I think we should have more guns in schools. That way they aren’t soft targets anymore. That would make me sleep better.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [justcallmejoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justcallmejoe wrote:
The real problem is people believing that resolving temporary problems is to use a permanent solution.

What temporary problem are people wanting to resolve?
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Look forward to the next thread exactly like this one after the next school shooting. I get it. It makes people feel good to discuss what could help. Nothing will be done in our lifetimes. Maybe our grandchildren will be wiser.

I'll have genuine conversations about gun control. Honestly. I truly understand and find some merit in SOME of the arguments for gun control.

Will you train with and carry a concealed firearm? Will you accept that responsibility? Or is this an instance of "they" should do something???

Why don't these guys attack/shoot up a police station? Why do they always choose soft targets where they KNOW that nobody will shoot back?

The government can't save you from everything.

I can't legislate away evil, but I can fight back.

Until the laws are changed and guns are gone (which may be necessary), are you just going to wait? Do nothing other than blame the Republicans or the NRA? Hope and pray?

What are you going to do?

Nothing.

So on the day when 14 kids are murderers you are advocating for people to arm themselves.

Thank you for making your position clear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you saying in this thread?

Are you actually saying that gun violence is something that our government cannot protect us from?

Why do you carve gun violence out from all the things that government protects us from?

The government’s role is to help secure our health and liberty. It protects us against foreign enemies. It protects us against sickness & disease, against unsafe food & medicine, against environmental hazards & toxins, against defective buildings, against all crimes (except gun violence apparently), against fire & natural disasters.

Why don’t you expect government to protect children from gun violence?

My position is that 2A gun nuts are responsible for our lack of common sense gun laws, which in turn is killing kids.

What is your position?
Last edited by: CallMeMaybe: May 24, 22 19:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justcallmejoe wrote:
MJuric wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
99% of people aren't reckless drivers, but we make people register vehicles and get licensed.

Does it stop accidents or people from getting killed? No.

Does it prevent mayhem and many people from dying needlessly? Yes.

Lots of people drive without license, registration or insurance....despite the fact that it's illegal.

There are also some states that actually have no license or registration requirements and also have some of the lowest deaths per capita by firearm in the US.

There are 2 states, Virginia and New Hampshire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/...tional_homicide_rate,

Sort of an interesting correlation you're making but while sort of true, also not entirely true.

The point he is making is to totally untrue. He is implying that controlling the amount of guns does not after.

Households with guns are more likely to suffer from gun violence.

Per capita gun ownership correlate to gun violence on every level: city, state, country.

His solution to gun violence is more guns. Because he has deluded himself into believing that gives him control when statistical evidence says otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
MJuric wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
307trout wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
307trout wrote:
runski09 wrote:
In the US, now?
Nothing. We could have 2-4 such school shootings a day for the next 3 years and the republicans would still fight tooth nail and for their lives to keep the gun laws as loose as possible. No concessions from them. Ever. Prove me wrong.

I don't think you can place it completely on Republican leadership, even though it's easy to demonize them (especially in the LR). Even without Republican leadership concessions, and specifically against their wishes, there are certain states with significant gun restrictions. It has happened. There are examples. The bottom line is that the gun control advocates simply don't have the votes across the country.

This kid, who by some initial accounts, seems to have been a little troubled, walked into a gun store upon turning 18 years old, and had no issue buying a gun. I think the majority of the population is in favor of some controls that would stop this kid being able to have done that. There is only one political party he’ll bent on stopping such measures being implemented. Stop kidding yourself.

What are the unintended consequences to the 99.99999% of gun owners who never commit acts of violence with a firearm?

Assume that you can look at the issue with genuine interest in reform without obliterating the rights of those who don't share your view/bias.

I'd google the guy but I don't want to give the pathetic cunt the satisfaction/notoriety that he obviously sought.

The only reference to the actual gun(s) I've seen said "a handgun and possibly a rifle".

And part of the problem with guns in this country is the sheer number and availability of them. Sure, most are owned by law abiding citizens, and they don’t use them to kill people, but the easy availability and large quantities of guns means our rates of gun deaths are far above those of other western countries. As Zed says about Australia, he can no longer buy an AR-15, but look at the consequences in terms of far fewer gun deaths. Or is it so important that he should be allowed to buy an AR-15 so he can shoot some tin cans at the weekend that Australians should tolerate mass shootings? Because that seems to be the crux of your argument for gun ownership here in the US.

Why the need to control the item rather than a desire to deal with the root cause? Knife deaths are three times more prevalent in Europe than firearm deaths...leading for some to call for a ban on knives.

As I've always said. You can throw a pile of weapons, military grade or otherwise into a group of responsible emotionally stable people and no one will get hurt. You can drop a plastic spork into a prison yard...and someone's going to get shanked.

The problem is not the gun, the problem is the people. Mabey, just maybe, if we spent more time on trying to prevent people from getting to the point of wanting to kill other people, guns would no longer be an issue.

Your last paragraph is nonsense. The US is not special. You have a much higher gun homicide rate because you have more guns. So yes, guns are the problem. To say otherwise is to be fooled by NRA nonsense. Fewer guns equals less gun violence. End. Of. Story.

The people who argue that guns are not the problem apparently ignore the fact that America is the western society that has a far higher rate of gun deaths and also is the society with far more guns in the population. Guns which are easily available to any adult.

There’s no point in engaging with them because they live in a fantasy land where every other issue should try to be solved except the one staring us in the face. Ban video games. Build more mental institutions and lock anyone up who posts anything threatening on social media, just in case they’re about to shoot up a mall or school. Stop people from getting angry enough to kill other people by….

I mean, I have to quote this for it’s sheer naïvety:

“Maybe, just maybe, if we spent more time on trying to prevent people from getting to the point of wanting to kill other people, guns would no longer be an issue.”
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
The US is not special. You have a much higher gun homicide rate because you have more guns. So yes, guns are the problem. To say otherwise is to be fooled by NRA nonsense. Fewer guns equals less gun violence. End. Of. Story.

Yeah exactly. These threads on gun violence, mass shootings etc just end up going nowhere. People start quoting the 2nd amendment, talking about how guns don't kill people, people kill people, knives are just as dangerous and other bullshit. It's simple. You guys have way too many guns. You have access to very powerful, automatic guns. You can get a gun very easily. Those 3 things need to change and shouldn't be up for debate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
MJuric wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
307trout wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
307trout wrote:
runski09 wrote:
In the US, now?

The US is special because their gun culture and worship is fucked. Because of this gun culture people think a gun is an acceptable ‘solution’ to a problem. The guns allow mass killings with relative ease.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:

Are you actually saying that gun violence is something that our government cannot protect us from?

Why do you carve gun violence out from all the things that government protects us from?

The government’s role is to help secure our health and liberty. It protects us against foreign enemies. It protects us against sickness & disease, against unsafe food & medicine, against environmental hazards & toxins, against defective buildings, against all crimes (except gun violence apparently), against fire & natural disasters.

My position is that 2A gun nuts are responsible for our lack of common sense gun laws, which in turn is killing kids.

What is your position?

Good post!

I carve gun violence out from the excellent list you mention based on the fact that it only takes one evil individual and a relative simple and common machine (400 million!) to carry it out. The rest of the list is based on large systemic concerns in which government oversight is much more valuable and effective. Similar to how a modern powerful military is insanely powerful against opposing military forces, yet struggles against local guerilla warfare. Systems are effective for systems but will struggle against isolated individuals, and vice versa.

I appreciate efforts of the US government to keep me safe, but fundamentally, it's primarily my responsibility.

No legislation will remove an evil individual attempting to do harm.

Maybe the ultimate answer is gun control. How long is that going to take? Realistically?

Maybe the US isn't special, but it is unique. So many opposing and even enemy cultures in one place, such a clash of wealth/poverty, different religions with millenia of conflict all brought into one mixed up region with a government based around individual freedoms? Shove all of those people into small places (urban environments) in a place that is fundamentally violent (culturally), and some bad things will happen. The US is a grand experiment. Could be argued that it's failing. I'd probably agree. There's a ratio of responsibility:freedom that our citizens are fucking up royally.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
cholla wrote:
It would only change when the Republicans are no longer in power. There is blood on the hands (again) of those who vote Republican.

Yeah, you're full of shit. Most republicans oppose school shootings as much as everyone else.

Not really full of shit. Republican politicians, like all politicians, are a different breed than the self identified followers of a party. There are plenty of Republican voters going apeshit over what happened today, as any sane, intellectually honest, responsible person is. Unfortunately the current Republican political class is not any of these things. Either is their faction of the media. Democrats do a bunch of stupid things,, but understanding that the American violence narrative needs to be dealt with is not one of them.

I actually think the solution is a combination of proper gun control (sorry one does not really need military grade assault rifles, no matter what they think) but even more importantly, we need to figure out how to get our American society back on track so we don’t produce a ridiculous amount of evil psychotic narcissistic/sadistic assholes.

It to get there is an almost impossible task. Again, the Republican political class is zero sum on this issue, preferring to invoke thoughts and prayers. The current Democratic political class is either weak or too far left and also zero sum.

Like everything, this is solved in the center.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you hear that the shooter engaged with police at the school before he went inside to kill kids? Your good guy with a gun fantasy is a fucking fantasy. It isn’t a solution. https://twitter.com/...P0Pr9twJ1c_y3OjnOKxw

Did you hear that parents are getting DNA swabbed this afternoon to help identify the destroyed and unrecognizable bodies of their kids? https://twitter.com/...P0Pr9twJ1c_y3OjnOKxw

Your idea that avoiding gun violence is a matter of personal responsibility seems pretty crass.

Your views about government don’t appear grounded in reality— in terms of constitutionality, the benefits of gun laws, and the reasons we don’t have gun laws. Your nonsense is particularly aggravating to read within the first 12 hours after a school shooting. It has not been a pleasure.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Patrick_M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrick_M wrote:

I actually think the solution is a combination of proper gun control (sorry one does not really need military grade assault rifles, no matter what they think) but even more importantly, we need to figure out how to get our American society back on track so we don’t produce a ridiculous amount of evil psychotic narcissistic/sadistic assholes.

This is a reasonable proposal. I don’t know why it seems so impossible. It’s easy enough to identify the NRA gun-fetishizing political candidates. They have to be defeated.

As far as extremism and people getting radicalized (which I think is what happens to these shooters), I don’t know how that gets tackled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
CallMeMaybe wrote:

What is your position?

Good post!

I carve gun violence out from the excellent list you mention based on the fact that it only takes one evil individual and a relative simple and common machine (400 million!) to carry it out. The rest of the list is based on large systemic concerns in which government oversight is much more valuable and effective. Similar to how a modern powerful military is insanely powerful against opposing military forces, yet struggles against local guerilla warfare. Systems are effective for systems but will struggle against isolated individuals, and vice versa.

I appreciate efforts of the US government to keep me safe, but fundamentally, it's primarily my responsibility.

No legislation will remove an evil individual attempting to do harm.

Maybe the ultimate answer is gun control. How long is that going to take? Realistically?

Maybe the US isn't special, but it is unique. So many opposing and even enemy cultures in one place, such a clash of wealth/poverty, different religions with millenia of conflict all brought into one mixed up region with a government based around individual freedoms? Shove all of those people into small places (urban environments) in a place that is fundamentally violent (culturally), and some bad things will happen. The US is a grand experiment. Could be argued that it's failing. I'd probably agree. There's a ratio of responsibility:freedom that our citizens are fucking up royally.

Jesus tap dancing christ, you understand that this is supposed to be satire and not something you are supposed to seriously say?

Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
Did you hear that the shooter engaged with police at the school before he went inside to kill kids? Your good guy with a gun fantasy is a fucking fantasy. It isn’t a solution. https://twitter.com/...P0Pr9twJ1c_y3OjnOKxw

Did you hear that parents are getting DNA swabbed this afternoon to help identify the destroyed and unrecognizable bodies of their kids? https://twitter.com/...P0Pr9twJ1c_y3OjnOKxw

Your idea that avoiding gun violence is a matter of personal responsibility seems pretty crass.

Your views about government don’t appear grounded in reality— in terms of constitutionality, the benefits of gun laws, and the reasons we don’t have gun laws. Your nonsense is particularly aggravating to read within the first 12 hours after a school shooting. It has not been a pleasure.

Was the police officer at the school armed or not?
Last edited by: 307trout: May 24, 22 20:50
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What will it take to change the law?

When a classroom full of lawmaker's kids are gunned down. Seriously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
CallMeMaybe wrote:

The question I’d be asking is that though a border patrol agent who is presumably well trained in the tactics required to engage an active shooter took this dude down, is it really a reasonable assumption that the avg person who’s only real experience is laying down 4-500 for a decent gun has the natural ability to do the same thing? Statistics say no. I just think “good guy with a gun” is a fantasy and thus not really safe for anyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [toomanycats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toomanycats wrote:
How about we hold people responsible? You bought your kid a gun and he kills someone (Crumbleys), you’re responsible. Your buddy/girlfriend/kid took your gun from your nightstand? You’re responsible. Someone stole it from your car? You’re responsible (though this is more of a gray area).

People who responsibly own and store guns are not the problem. However, people who are part of the problem should be held accountable.

Every single gun has a serial number and is registered to an individual. Anything associated with that gun, regardless of theft or any other potential for it to go missing, is the responsibility of whoever’s name matches the number on the gun used. You have to register the guns every 2 or 5 years. If that gun is missing, you lose the rest of your guns and are fined for irresponsibility.

Not a single gun is made without a specific name being attached to the purchase order.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Patrick_M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrick_M wrote:
307trout wrote:
CallMeMaybe wrote:

The question I’d be asking is that though a border patrol agent who is presumably well trained in the tactics required to engage an active shooter took this dude down, is it really a reasonable assumption that the avg person who’s only real experience is laying down 4-500 for a decent gun has the natural ability to do the same thing? Statistics say no. I just think “good guy with a gun” is a fantasy and thus not really safe for anyone.

What statistics?
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I type this there are 18 families that know their child is dead, and their child's body is a room waiting to be identified with DNA supplied from toothbrushes and hairbrushes, etc.
Their bodies torn to pieces.
The 'shooter' was wearing armor - and there were cops also armored who were wounded.
There doesn't appear to be a good guy with a gun solution - that's not working, did not work in Buffalo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing will change until idiots stop saying “they are coming for our guns”.

After Dunblane the firearms restrictions in UK were changed to stop people like that having guns. The only way it is going to change is if you accept the system is wrong. I cannot remember a female school mass murderer but I am sure there are some. Why aren’t the parents reporting their disturbed adolescents and removing the arms?

The only other choice is to turn your schools into fortresses so that when they are attacked the classrooms become shelters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Patrick_M wrote:
307trout wrote:
CallMeMaybe wrote:

What statistics?

I’d start with LE v suspects then move on to us military v almost everyone else, w/r/t light arms firefights. There’s plenty of examples of trained v not trained or less trained.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patrick_M wrote:
307trout wrote:
Patrick_M wrote:
307trout wrote:
CallMeMaybe wrote:

What statistics?

I’d start with LE v suspects then move on to us military v almost everyone else, w/r/t light arms firefights. There’s plenty of examples of trained v not trained or less trained.

Please share links. Interested in reading more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:

I guess in the US you have the problem that many criminals are armed, so law-abiding citizens also want to be armed. Which is fair enough. But that then means there are still a crapload of guns out there. It's going to be hard to sell to the public that they have to give up their guns and their ability to protect themselves and their families.. In Australia 99% of perpetrators of violent crimes such as burglaries, car-jackings, muggings etc are committed by people that are not armed with a gun. So people don't feel the need to carry guns. I think if I lived in the US, I'd want to be armed.

So I guess the first thing that needs to happen is take illegal guns of the streets. Law-abding citizens then feel safe and are happy to give up their guns. But yeah, as you said, how long is that going to take? And is it even possible? I don't know about the specific gun laws in the US. I know some states have mandatory sentencing for criminals that are carrying guns? If not then this would be necessitated.

Going back to your original question - how long is it going to take? Two generations perhaps? But it needs to start somewhere.
Quote Reply

Prev Next