Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
99% of people aren't reckless drivers, but we make people register vehicles and get licensed.

Does it stop accidents or people from getting killed? No.

Does it prevent mayhem and many people from dying needlessly? Yes.

Lots of people drive without license, registration or insurance....despite the fact that it's illegal.

There are also some states that actually have no license or registration requirements and also have some of the lowest deaths per capita by firearm in the US.

Like I said it doesn't stop accidents or illegal behavior. Zeroism is an impossible goal.

And comparing across states is a poor analysis because rural populations have a completely different dynamic from dense urban populations.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
99% of people aren't reckless drivers, but we make people register vehicles and get licensed.

Lots of people drive without license, registration or insurance....despite the fact that it's illegal.

There are also some states that actually have no license or registration requirements and also have some of the lowest deaths per capita by firearm in the US.

Which states are you talking about?
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
Let's talk about extreme options:

1. Why not re-open the mental hospitals and institutions that Reagan shut. I'm in, but don't understand the topic very well in all honesty.
2. Why not automate life sentence if you are found in illegal possession of a firearm? Might be a bit challenging on the actual structure of the laws but in principle, it seems reasonable.
3. 5 day waiting period, OK, just annoying. 1 Approved Safety and training class, Like hunter's safety, Ok, I'd probably agree., 3 references (willing to co-sign for liability), Interesting.
4. National registry (O.k. this one isn't extreme and I don't know why it is such a big deal), Seen as potentially a first step to confiscation, will raise HUGE resistance.
5. Ban on owning firearms if you have received mental health services, with a DB somewhere to track such information. (Yes I know this is an invasion of privacy, but we are trying to stop mass shootings right?) No on this one. Good idea on the surface, especially for severe/obvious disorders, BUT: Mild depression after your Dad died or a divorce, no firearms ever? Mental health dx are difficult and subjective enough without permanently affecting the rights of those involved. Seems like it could also be weaponized against people/groups. Would also reduce willingness to seek mental health eval/tx for many who value their gun rights.

Liability (and subsequent insurance/costs) tactics seem to be more likely but would require 2a amendment I think.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Classrooms of kids and shootings at lawmakers softball games have not done anything. I can’t envision something that would at this point

Until a senior lawmaker's child is actually gunned down, and it finally hits home, they will gladly take NRA money

Oh wait, they'll blame someone else, and continue to do nothing

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about we hold people responsible? You bought your kid a gun and he kills someone (Crumbleys), you’re responsible. Your buddy/girlfriend/kid took your gun from your nightstand? You’re responsible. Someone stole it from your car? You’re responsible (though this is more of a gray area).

People who responsibly own and store guns are not the problem. However, people who are part of the problem should be held accountable.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It took the President being shot to get the Brady Law passed, and even then it was a fight.

The President of the USA being shot for crying out loud.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that something that would make an immediate impact is to stop naming the cowards. I think that most shooters do it for the notoriety. Stop showing their pictures and giving their names. Let them die or go to jail in absolute anonymity. Refer to them as "The Parkland Coward" but never name them.

It does me no good whatsoever to know their name, so stop giving them the fame they seek. I think that many of them would reconsider if they knew that their name would just disappear from society.

There may be a few who are so corrupt and broken that they just want to kill, but many are doing it for the notoriety. Stop giving them what they want.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
I think that something that would make an immediate impact is to stop naming the cowards. I think that most shooters do it for the notoriety. Stop showing their pictures and giving their names. Let them die or go to jail in absolute anonymity. Refer to them as "The Parkland Coward" but never name them.

It does me no good whatsoever to know their name, so stop giving them the fame they seek. I think that many of them would reconsider if they knew that their name would just disappear from society.

There may be a few who are so corrupt and broken that they just want to kill, but many are doing it for the notoriety. Stop giving them what they want.

Agree 100%, though I wouldn't put them in jail. I think we should be far more creative, cruel, and brutal for these kinds of "people".
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
307trout wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
Chip every gun. Provide school and LE the ability to disable any gun at anytime.

The vast majority of mass shootings are perpetrated by the white conservative terrorists. I don’t know what rot exists in that culture but I think we should be honest that it exists.it needs to be rooted out within.

How does one "chip every gun"?

They're not electronic devices. They're not wifi enabled. This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard yet.

It's hard to have an honest conversation with someone who evidently has near zero understanding of the thing they're trying to regulate.

The don’t have a conversation. The ability to not reply isn’t hard. But you needed to insult me so I suppose that makes not replying an impossibility for you.

For those who are serious about this, it is entirely possible to chip a gun. Smart guns certainly exist.

And while there would be plenty of nonchipped guns out there I am willing to bet that the weapons used today were purchased after Sandy hook.

"No smart gun has ever been sold on the commercial market in the United States" Smart guns do not exist in any real way any more than flying cars exist. Your suggestion is absurd and suggests a lack of basic understanding.

Smart guns exists. Your knowledge of the subject appears to be the first sentence in Wikipedia that you quoted ( verbatim no less). They are commercially unavailable because…. The gun lobby does like them. So what “basic understanding,” do you think I lack? I am looking for specifics.

It would take a decade for this to have a real impact. Sandy hook was a decade ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look forward to the next thread exactly like this one after the next school shooting. I get it. It makes people feel good to discuss what could help. Nothing will be done in our lifetimes. Maybe our grandchildren will be wiser.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Look forward to the next thread exactly like this one after the next school shooting. I get it. It makes people feel good to discuss what could help. Nothing will be done in our lifetimes. Maybe our grandchildren will be wiser.
This. The Dems should just stop talking. The only people who can change anything are the NRA. They hold all the power and all the responsibility. Anyone else saying anything is a futile waste of time and possibly votes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:

Agree 100%, though I wouldn't put them in jail. I think we should be far more creative, cruel, and brutal for these kinds of "people".

How many times in this thread have you said we can't do something because of 2A? You seem to be less concerned about the 8th.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
307trout wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
307trout wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
Chip every gun. Provide school and LE the ability to disable any gun at anytime.

The vast majority of mass shootings are perpetrated by the white conservative terrorists. I don’t know what rot exists in that culture but I think we should be honest that it exists.it needs to be rooted out within.

They're not electronic devices. They're not wifi enabled. This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard yet.

It's hard to have an honest conversation with someone who evidently has near zero understanding of the thing they're trying to regulate.

The don’t have a conversation. The ability to not reply isn’t hard. But you needed to insult me so I suppose that makes not replying an impossibility for you.

For those who are serious about this, it is entirely possible to chip a gun. Smart guns certainly exist.

And while there would be plenty of nonchipped guns out there I am willing to bet that the weapons used today were purchased after Sandy hook.

"No smart gun has ever been sold on the commercial market in the United States" Smart guns do not exist in any real way any more than flying cars exist. Your suggestion is absurd and suggests a lack of basic understanding.

Smart guns exists. Your knowledge of the subject appears to be the first sentence in Wikipedia that you quoted ( verbatim no less). They are commercially unavailable because…. The gun lobby does like them. So what “basic understanding,” do you think I lack? I am looking for specifics.

It would take a decade for this to have a real impact. Sandy hook was a decade ago.

Yeah, that's why people use " "... They're commercially unavailable because they're a useless gimmick. As far as I can tell, you lack all of the basic understanding. All of it. There are 400 million guns and quite frankly, guns aren't very difficult to machine/manufacture. "Chipping a gun" is about as useful as a self defense unicorn.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
307trout wrote:

How many times in this thread have you said we can't do something because of 2A? You seem to be less concerned about the 8th.

Under certain circumstances of obvious guilt, I'm zero % concerned about the 8th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

There are 2 states, Virginia and New Hampshire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/...tional_homicide_rate,

Sort of an interesting correlation you're making but while sort of true, also not entirely true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are right, there are millions in circulation, so there will be little impact up front.

I would love to see the Red Flag Laws, gun confiscation for people who commit certain crimes, or who are cited for offenses deemed and determined as negligence, as outlined.

This doesn't punish reponsible owners. It doesn't deny someone access who goes through proper channels. But it creates a long needed accountability.
Last edited by: WannaB: May 24, 22 18:57
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:

I'll have genuine conversations about gun control. Honestly. I truly understand and find some merit in SOME of the arguments for gun control.

Will you train with and carry a concealed firearm? Will you accept that responsibility? Or is this an instance of "they" should do something???

Why don't these guys attack/shoot up a police station? Why do they always choose soft targets where they KNOW that nobody will shoot back?

The government can't save you from everything.

I can't legislate away evil, but I can fight back.

Until the laws are changed and guns are gone (which may be necessary), are you just going to wait? Do nothing other than blame the Republicans or the NRA? Hope and pray?

What are you going to do?

Nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, not going anywhere near a school with a gun. Not happening, ever. Unless I was a police or security officer.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
Sorry, not going anywhere near a school with a gun. Not happening, ever. Unless I was a police or security officer.

Obviously not in a school. There are rules ya know...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

I'll have genuine conversations about gun control. Honestly. I truly understand and find some merit in SOME of the arguments for gun control.

Will you train with and carry a concealed firearm? Will you accept that responsibility? Or is this an instance of "they" should do something???

Why don't these guys attack/shoot up a police station? Why do they always choose soft targets where they KNOW that nobody will shoot back?

The government can't save you from everything.

I can't legislate away evil, but I can fight back.

Until the laws are changed and guns are gone (which may be necessary), are you just going to wait? Do nothing other than blame the Republicans or the NRA? Hope and pray?

What are you going to do?

Nothing.

Why don't you think this happens at anywhere near this rate in other developed countries?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
307trout wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
307trout wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

Yeah, that's why people use " "... They're commercially unavailable because they're a useless gimmick. As far as I can tell, you lack all of the basic understanding. All of it. There are 400 million guns and quite frankly, guns aren't very difficult to machine/manufacture. "Chipping a gun" is about as useful as a self defense unicorn.

In other words you have no idea why this is a bad idea other than you feel that it is and you think by talking tough and insulting me you are making your point.

For the record, 99.999% of gun owners are not law abiding. There are over 500,000 crimes with firearms per year. So 5 million per decade. How many are repeat offenders, I don’t know, but I would think the numbers add up to maybe 1-2% of gun owners are violent offenders. So closer to 1/100 than 1/100,000.

it would take a decade for this to make an impact. Sandyhook was a decade ago. Any solution that someone proposes for tomorrow is a unicorn.
Last edited by: ajthomas: May 24, 22 19:10
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
cholla wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
cholla wrote:
It would only change when the Republicans are no longer in power. There is blood on the hands (again) of those who vote Republican.

Yeah, you're full of shit. Most republicans oppose school shootings as much as everyone else.

That's total bullshit. Republican politicians are universally opposed to policies that make these things less likely to happen - like in every other developed country in the world. Open your fucking eyes and look in the mirror if you vote for those people.

Maybe because what has been proposed wouldn't actually do anything to stop them. Like I said in my other post; I would gladly support something that would actually stop them and all shootings, but nothing that has been proposed would actually do that.

Do you support the legal use of alcohol? If so, then you have blood on your hands when someone drives drunk and kills other people. More people are killed by drunk drivers than non-self-inflicted deaths from guns. What do you propose to stop the drunk driving deaths?

So you don’t believe that having gun laws like the UK or Canada wouldn’t significantly reduce school shootings?

I don't think that would be enough because your country has so many guns in circulation.

I think, in addition to gun laws like Canada or the US have, you need to do something about the absolutely insane amount of firearms in circulation in your country. How you accomplish that, I have no idea.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I think, in addition to gun laws like Canada or the US have, you need to do something about the absolutely insane amount of firearms in circulation in your country. How you accomplish that, I have no idea.

Easy. We can use a carrot instead of a stick.

The govt can buy them off people. Maybe at 2x or 3x their market price. People will line up for miles to cash out.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Easy. We can use a carrot instead of a stick.

The govt can buy them off people. Maybe at 2x or 3x their market price. People will line up for miles to cash out.

You might be right.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The real problem is people believing that resolving temporary problems is to use a permanent solution.
Quote Reply

Prev Next