Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Equating mass shootings with drunk driving is disingenuous. How many drunk drivers have you read about driving into an elementary school killing students in the school?
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
What do you propose that will have an absolute direct stop of mass shootings?

What did Australia do that resulted in an "absolute direct stop of mass shootings?"

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
SWEDE63 wrote:
All we ever hear from politicians are, "thoughts and prayers".

Is there any line that can be crossed where gun control/removal will ever be seriously discussed?

I naively thought a couple times things might change. Now I'm more cynical and can't see anything changing in the foreseeable future. What will it take or will there never be a change in the US?

What would you like to see done? Specifically.

How would you disarm America?

Would any guns be "allowed"?

Do you believe that plan is feasible?

Do you think Americans will give up their guns?

Would it provoke some degree of American civil war if the government attempts to take away the guns with force?

Obviously, wishing away guns or violence isn't going to do anything, and you'd have to alter the US Constitution which seems unlikely but it's certainly happened before.

The majority of these seem to be committed by young men. I'd say it's fairly obvious that it is too easy for young men to get firearms, and, really, there aren't very many good reasons for them to have them. Painting with a broad brush but that's the only way to get anything done. FWIW, I purchased (strawman, through my dad) my first handgun when I was 17 (it was the 3rd firearm in my collection) so I'm being a hypocrite maybe, but looking back there was no real "need" there, just country fun, and this was long before Columbine.

Strict liability for anyone who owns a firearm. This means, if I own a weapon and keep it responsibly secured in a high end gun safe (which I do), yet someone breaks into my house while I'm on vacation and steals it by cutting open the safe...I'm liable for whatever deeds are done with it....I could become an accessory to murder. I think this would make a lot of people re-think their ownership and storage habits, making ownership a lot less common and storage a lot more secure.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
SWEDE63 wrote:
You seem to be in the "thoughts and prayers" camp. What if anything in your mind should we do to stem the tide of mass shootings? Or, as another poster mentioned, this is just the price we pay for freedom.

You're incorrect.

I'm asking for a plan, not an idea.

"Remove guns" is as much value as "thoughts and prayers".

A plan.

CMM laid out some concrete plans. She's the only one so far.

We’re not going to make any headway on gun violence unless we start making incremental changes. We won’t be able to guarantee perfect results, right? We’re making a more perfect union, so let’s work on improving without getting caught up in perfectionism.

Fewer guns, waiting periods, and liability insurance requirements seem like a reasonable first effort. Who is campaigning on unfettered gun rights? The GOP.

Vote blue.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:

Fine, do what Australia did. Is that not enough of a solid plan?

A mandatory buyback. OK. Gun registry. OK. Both would require changing the constitution. OK, it's possible.

Australia's plan reduced privately owned firearms by 20%.

Assuming the same success rate here, which is doubtful, you're left with maybe 300 million guns in circulation.

It seems reasonable that people with ill intentions would be less likely to comply with the law.

What do you think would happen with a door to door campaign to confiscate a couple hundred million US owned firearms?

Maybe people would bluster but then comply. Maybe there would be limited violence. Maybe there would be civil war or even secession?

What's your best guess?

All of this is to get rid of guns.

What other options are there to reduce mass shootings?
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
cholla wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
cholla wrote:
It would only change when the Republicans are no longer in power. There is blood on the hands (again) of those who vote Republican.

Yeah, you're full of shit. Most republicans oppose school shootings as much as everyone else.

That's total bullshit. Republican politicians are universally opposed to policies that make these things less likely to happen - like in every other developed country in the world. Open your fucking eyes and look in the mirror if you vote for those people.

Maybe because what has been proposed wouldn't actually do anything to stop them. Like I said in my other post; I would gladly support something that would actually stop them and all shootings, but nothing that has been proposed would actually do that.

Do you support the legal use of alcohol? If so, then you have blood on your hands when someone drives drunk and kills other people. More people are killed by drunk drivers than non-self-inflicted deaths from guns. What do you propose to stop the drunk driving deaths?

So you don’t believe that having gun laws like the UK or Canada wouldn’t significantly reduce school shootings?

It’s not just the gun laws. You have gun culture. You have people that worship the 2nd Amendment.

I can get a gun, it’s not that difficult.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
It seems reasonable that people with ill intentions would be less likely to comply with the law.

What do you think would happen with a door to door campaign to confiscate a couple hundred million US owned firearms?

Maybe people would bluster but then comply. Maybe there would be limited violence. Maybe there would be civil war or even secession?

I don’t think you saying that gun owners may start murdering people and not comply with the law is a great argument against gun control. Isn’t that a great argument fo gun control? We need to get guns out of these maniacs hands and the sooner the better.

What are gun owners currently doing to prevent these maniacs from getting guns? Or are they cheering them on with big rally’s?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
chaparral wrote:

Fine, do what Australia did. Is that not enough of a solid plan?

A mandatory buyback. OK. Gun registry. OK. Both would require changing the constitution. OK, it's possible.

Australia's plan reduced privately owned firearms by 20%.

Assuming the same success rate here, which is doubtful, you're left with maybe 300 million guns in circulation.

What's your best guess?

All of this is to get rid of guns.

What other options are there to reduce mass shootings?

It’s ok to just admit that Americans are unwilling to do the things that other countries have done with measured success.

But if nothing happened after Sandy Hook, then nothing will ever change here in the US. So… thoughts and prayers to the families, and move on to the next one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
What do you propose that will have an absolute direct stop of mass shootings?

First, this bothers me as much as it does everyone else. It sickens me that people are capable of doing this. I would support any measure that would guarantee the end of any kind of shooting. I see people propose measures that punish law abiding citizens, but nothing that would put a stop to this.

100% gun confiscation would do it, but accomplishing that is impossible. We've outlawed alcohol, drugs and drunk driving, but it doesn't stop it. Sadly, guns are no different.

Zeroism is an impossible goal. It's stupid to even try. But that is not an excuse to do nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
307trout wrote:

I don’t think you saying that gun owners may start murdering people and not comply with the law is a great argument against gun control. Isn’t that a great argument fo gun control? We need to get guns out of these maniacs hands and the sooner the better.

What are gun owners currently doing to prevent these maniacs from getting guns? Or are they cheering them on with big rally’s?

Maybe I wasn't clear, but I do believe there would be incredible amounts of violence against law enforcement (or the military) or whomever would be actually going door to door to confiscate guns in America. Law enforcement of some sort would be walking into literally millions of ambush scenarios and would face a pretty incredible armed resistance from non compliant citizens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
chaparral wrote:
307trout wrote:

Maybe I wasn't clear, but I do believe there would be incredible amounts of violence against law enforcement (or the military) or whomever would be actually going door to door to confiscate guns in America. Law enforcement of some sort would be walking into literally millions of ambush scenarios and would face a pretty incredible armed resistance from non compliant citizens.

Why would they not follow the law? Isn’t it really bad that there are all these people that are willing to murder and not follow the law?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
307trout wrote:
chaparral wrote:
307trout wrote:

Why would they not follow the law? Isn’t it really bad that there are all these people that are willing to murder and not follow the law?

In the highly unlikely scenario that the constitution is amended and there is a ban on most kinds of guns, I think most citizens would comply because - by definition - a majority of the population would be in favor of this. Most gun owners would hand in their guns and those that don’t would face the risk of being caught with an illegal gun at a later date. I don’t see a scenario where law enforcement officers are going door to door searching for and confiscating guns.

But it’s all hypothetical because it’s never going to happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the US, now?
Nothing. We could have 2-4 such school shootings a day for the next 3 years and the republicans would still fight tooth nail and for their lives to keep the gun laws as loose as possible. No concessions from them. Ever. Prove me wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
chaparral wrote:

In the highly unlikely scenario that the constitution is amended and there is a ban on most kinds of guns, I think most citizens would comply because - by definition - a majority of the population would be in favor of this. Most gun owners would hand in their guns and those that don’t would face the risk of being caught with an illegal gun at a later date. I don’t see a scenario where law enforcement officers are going door to door searching for and confiscating guns.

I don't think many of us would be willing to stop driving cars in order to eliminate drunk drivers. For responsible gun owners, that's what it would feel like to be forced to give up their guns. I think many people would refuse.

Some concessions may be available for capacity limitations if I were to guess. California hasn't had much of a revolution with significant capacity restrictions. Having said that I am aware of many (relatively speaking) people that either move away from CA or simply would never move to CA due to gun laws. If the same laws were attempted nationally, and people wouldn't have the choice to simply move or avoid a certain area, there would likely be significantly more resistance or push back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
chaparral wrote:
307trout wrote:

If you’re right, the number of gun people who don’t have respect for the law is astounding to me. Those criminals deserve punishment. They should have just complied.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [runski09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runski09 wrote:
In the US, now?
Nothing. We could have 2-4 such school shootings a day for the next 3 years and the republicans would still fight tooth nail and for their lives to keep the gun laws as loose as possible. No concessions from them. Ever. Prove me wrong.

I don't think you can place it completely on Republican leadership, even though it's easy to demonize them (especially in the LR). Even without Republican leadership concessions, and specifically against their wishes, there are certain states with significant gun restrictions. It has happened. There are examples. The bottom line is that the gun control advocates simply don't have the votes across the country.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
307trout wrote:
chaparral wrote:
307trout wrote:

If you’re right, the number of gun people who don’t have respect for the law is astounding to me. Those criminals deserve punishment. They should have just complied.

I'm sure people said the same thing about the Civil Rights movement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
runski09 wrote:
In the US, now?

I don't think you can place it completely on Republican leadership, even though it's easy to demonize them (especially in the LR). Even without Republican leadership concessions, and specifically against their wishes, there are certain states with significant gun restrictions. It has happened. There are examples. The bottom line is that the gun control advocates simply don't have the votes across the country.

This kid, who by some initial accounts, seems to have been a little troubled, walked into a gun store upon turning 18 years old, and had no issue buying a gun. I think the majority of the population is in favor of some controls that would stop this kid being able to have done that. There is only one political party he’ll bent on stopping such measures being implemented. Stop kidding yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no line. If there was, we crossed it a long time ago.

Absolutely nothing will change.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would fully support buyback and registry.

Buyback would be more successful if done at 5x market rate or something. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
chaparral wrote:

I don't think many of us would be willing to stop driving cars in order to eliminate drunk drivers. For responsible gun owners, that's what it would feel like to be forced to give up their guns. I think many people would refuse.

Some concessions may be available for capacity limitations if I were to guess. California hasn't had much of a revolution with significant capacity restrictions. Having said that I am aware of many (relatively speaking) people that either move away from CA or simply would never move to CA due to gun laws. If the same laws were attempted nationally, and people wouldn't have the choice to simply move or avoid a certain area, there would likely be significantly more resistance or push back.

People said the same thing about mandatory seat belt laws, but now everyone just gets on and puts their seat belts on, for the most part. Most people have better things to do with their lives, even current gun owners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
runski09 wrote:
In the US, now?

Disagree. NRA has owned the republican party for the past 30-40 years. There will be no action.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [runski09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's no coincidence that the Russian intelligence targeted the NRA.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
307trout wrote:
runski09 wrote:
In the US, now?

This kid, who by some initial accounts, seems to have been a little troubled, walked into a gun store upon turning 18 years old, and had no issue buying a gun. I think the majority of the population is in favor of some controls that would stop this kid being able to have done that. There is only one political party he’ll bent on stopping such measures being implemented. Stop kidding yourself.

What kind of controls exactly? Would they have helped in this case?

What are the unintended consequences to the 99.99999% of gun owners who never commit acts of violence with a firearm?

Assume that you can look at the issue with genuine interest in reform without obliterating the rights of those who don't share your view/bias.

I'd google the guy but I don't want to give the pathetic cunt the satisfaction/notoriety that he obviously sought.

The only reference to the actual gun(s) I've seen said "a handgun and possibly a rifle".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice catch, Einstein.

A democracy is a country where the will of the people is expressed through its laws. The vast majority of Americans support common sense gun laws. It silly that you think a constitutional amendment is necessary for common sense gun laws. It’s silly that you think threats of violence from the gun-loving criminals is a valid argument against common sense gun laws.

What other pretend hurdle is there in the way of gun law reform? Our hands are tied and we have to accept gun deaths because…?

It’s the GOP and gun-loving culture. Fuck that bullshit.

If a person votes for a 2A candidate, then that person is voting for gun violence. Firearms became the leading cause of death among children and teenagers in the United States in 2020, according to new research using data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The finding comes after a record 45,222 people died from firearm-related injuries in 2020 in the U.S., according to a letter published in the New England Journal of Medicine. Most of the deaths were from firearm homicide. https://www.usatoday.com/...ens-2020/7432860001/

Our hands are not tied. We have to vote the bullshit gun-nuts out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next