Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law?
Quote | Reply
All we ever hear from politicians are, "thoughts and prayers".

Is there any line that can be crossed where gun control/removal will ever be seriously discussed?

I naively thought a couple times things might change. Now I'm more cynical and can't see anything changing in the foreseeable future. What will it take or will there never be a change in the US?
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Classrooms of kids and shootings at lawmakers softball games have not done anything. I can’t envision something that would at this point.

Two weeks ago it was ruled CA can’t even ban semiautomatic sales to those under 21.

https://www.latimes.com/...titutional?_amp=true
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very Sad !
We are so fucked here in the USA nothing will change between the GOP Fascist Christian Nationalist GOD GUNS AND THE MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX and the do nothing Democrats ☠️
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would only change when the Republicans are no longer in power. There is blood on the hands (again) of those who vote Republican.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We need the Dems to start taking this stuff seriously. These things never happen in good old boy states like Texas.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SWEDE63 wrote:

Is there any line that can be crossed where gun control/removal will ever be seriously discussed?

I naively thought a couple times things might change. Now I'm more cynical and can't see anything changing in the foreseeable future. What will it take or will there never be a change in the US?

What would you like to see done? Specifically.

How would you disarm America?

Would any guns be "allowed"?

Do you believe that plan is feasible?

Do you think Americans will give up their guns?

Would it provoke some degree of American civil war if the government attempts to take away the guns with force?

Obviously, wishing away guns or violence isn't going to do anything, and you'd have to alter the US Constitution which seems unlikely but it's certainly happened before.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
It would only change when the Republicans are no longer in power. There is blood on the hands (again) of those who vote Republican.

Yeah, you're full of shit. Most republicans oppose school shootings as much as everyone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SWEDE63 wrote:
What will it take or will there never be a change in the US?

A lot of us to die off and hopefully our grandchildren will be able to clean up yet another of our embarrassments.

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you propose that will have an absolute direct stop of mass shootings?

First, this bothers me as much as it does everyone else. It sickens me that people are capable of doing this. I would support any measure that would guarantee the end of any kind of shooting. I see people propose measures that punish law abiding citizens, but nothing that would put a stop to this.

100% gun confiscation would do it, but accomplishing that is impossible. We've outlawed alcohol, drugs and drunk driving, but it doesn't stop it. Sadly, guns are no different.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
cholla wrote:

Yeah, you're full of shit. Most republicans oppose school shootings as much as everyone else.

That's total bullshit. Republican politicians are universally opposed to policies that make these things less likely to happen - like in every other developed country in the world. Open your fucking eyes and look in the mirror if you vote for those people.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
SWEDE63 wrote:

What would you like to see done? Specifically.

How would you disarm America?

Would any guns be "allowed"?

Do you believe that plan is feasible?

Do you think Americans will give up their guns?

Would it provoke some degree of American civil war if the government attempts to take away the guns with force?

Obviously, wishing away guns or violence isn't going to do anything, and you'd have to alter the US Constitution which seems unlikely but it's certainly happened before.

We don’t need to alter the US Constitution. Just look to what we have done before. We can do it again if we vote blue. The NRA & GOP are too tight.

The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 addressed several key concerns of gun control advocates by requiring a five-day waiting period for all handgun sales, during which a background check was to be made on all prospective purchasers. This provision expired in 1998 and was replaced by the National Instant Check System (NICS), a database available for sellers to verify the eligibility of a buyer to possess a firearm. Within the first three years of the passage of the Brady Act, the FBI reported significant declines in homicides, robberies, and aggravated assaults involving guns. By 2013, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence reported that the law had prevented over two million firearms sales to ineligible individuals. Moreover, between 1993, when the law’s background checks were implemented, and 2006, gun-related homicides fell by 32 percent. We should reinstate the 5 day waiting period.

President George H. W. Bush supported a major landmark in gun control in 1989 when his administration announced a permanent ban on importing assault rifles. Restrictions on assault weapons went further in 1994 when the federal government placed a ban on the manufacture and sale of specific models of assault weapons and various duplicates. The 1994 ban expired in 2004 when Congress failed to renew or replace it. We should reinstate the assault weapon ban.

Why not?
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
cholla wrote:

Most everyone is against mass shootings, school or otherwise, but half the country are strongly in favor of their causes.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what it will take, that is why I'm posing the question.

I will say I see no need for AR15's and the like to be in the hands of the general public. I'm not for banning all guns, but allowing every type of gun is beyond crazy. Interpret the constitution anyway you want, I don't believe the framers of the constitution meant for things to be as out of control as they are currently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SWEDE63 wrote:

I will say I see no need for AR15's and the like to be in the hands of the general public. I'm not for banning all guns, but allowing every type of gun is beyond crazy. Interpret the constitution anyway you want, I don't believe the framers of the constitution meant for things to be as out of control as they are currently.

The framers only knew of muskets. They had no concept of modern guns. But we let imbeciles tell us otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SWEDE63 wrote:

The vast, VAST majority of gun violence is done with pistols. A very small percentage of gun violence is done with "assault rifles". I assume that the capacity and detachable magazines are the most objectionable feature.

I'll agree that AR is quite a lot of firepower to be available to the average person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SWEDE63 wrote:

Well we see the supreme court is totally fine with ignoring some amendments like sixth, but because a bunch of people make money off of and are able to use it commit terrorism for the right cause, they interpret the 2nd amendment in the most fucking insane way possible.

Of course these "originalists" will ignore all the gun control the founders supported.

Or we can just be a normal fucking country where school kids are slaughtered on a regular basis and just amend the constitution.
Quote Reply
Re: Mass Shootings - What will it take to change the law? [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
SWEDE63 wrote:

The framers only knew of muskets. They had no concept of modern guns. But we let imbeciles tell us otherwise.

I may be wrong, but muskets were also the modern weapon available at the time to the military. The founding fathers didn't put any provisions about having to be "less than" military type weapons so your comment is a bit misdirected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You seem to be in the "thoughts and prayers" camp. What if anything in your mind should we do to stem the tide of mass shootings? Or, as another poster mentioned, this is just the price we pay for freedom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
cholla wrote:
SWEDE63 wrote:

I may be wrong, but muskets were also the modern weapon available at the time to the military. The founding fathers didn't put any provisions about having to be "less than" military type weapons so your comment is a bit misdirected.

You missed the point entirely. Muskets could not be used multiple times in rapid succession. If the founders knew of weapons that could be used in that fashion, they may very well have made the 2A more restrictive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
cholla wrote:
SWEDE63 wrote:

The founders also knew they were not perfect, so their big innovation was making it possible to change the constitution if they fucked up. It is very obvious the founders fucked up on lots and lots of things, so I wouldn't point to what they thought as a strong argument, even they knew they could be totally wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
cholla wrote:

Wellm, they may oppose school shootings, but not enough to you know, do anything about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
cholla wrote:

That's total bullshit. Republican politicians are universally opposed to policies that make these things less likely to happen - like in every other developed country in the world. Open your fucking eyes and look in the mirror if you vote for those people.

Maybe because what has been proposed wouldn't actually do anything to stop them. Like I said in my other post; I would gladly support something that would actually stop them and all shootings, but nothing that has been proposed would actually do that.

Do you support the legal use of alcohol? If so, then you have blood on your hands when someone drives drunk and kills other people. More people are killed by drunk drivers than non-self-inflicted deaths from guns. What do you propose to stop the drunk driving deaths?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
cholla wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
cholla wrote:

Maybe because what has been proposed wouldn't actually do anything to stop them. Like I said in my other post; I would gladly support something that would actually stop them and all shootings, but nothing that has been proposed would actually do that.

Do you support the legal use of alcohol? If so, then you have blood on your hands when someone drives drunk and kills other people. More people are killed by drunk drivers than non-self-inflicted deaths from guns. What do you propose to stop the drunk driving deaths?

So you don’t believe that having gun laws like the UK or Canada wouldn’t significantly reduce school shootings?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SWEDE63 wrote:
You seem to be in the "thoughts and prayers" camp. What if anything in your mind should we do to stem the tide of mass shootings? Or, as another poster mentioned, this is just the price we pay for freedom.

You're incorrect.

I'm asking for a plan, not an idea.

"Remove guns" is as much value as "thoughts and prayers".

A plan.

CMM laid out some concrete plans. She's the only one so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
SWEDE63 wrote:

You're incorrect.

I'm asking for a plan, not an idea.

"Remove guns" is as much value as "thoughts and prayers".

A plan.

CMM laid out some concrete plans. She's the only one so far.

Fine, do what Australia did. Is that not enough of a solid plan?
Quote Reply

Prev Next