Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Kim Kardashian?

No thanks.

Can't figure out the obsession with those women. They are not good looking when it comes to facial features, not fit, ( looks like they have had their butts injected with something) and their hair is pretty gross. Hair is always matted down and oiled up with something. Just not my tastes at all.

But at least they aren't obese like the one that is on the cover. That is simply irresponsible to glorify that size of person and the health risks that come with being that size.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Kim Kardashian?

No thanks.

She's good to look at into her 40's, has made a bagillion $ with no significant skill or ability, and kicked Kanye to the curb. She is obviously a genius.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
her body: good to see on the cover of a magazine, and i'm glad they left the hip creases in, that's real

i don't think the suit flatters her. A bikini would be better.

the one advantage of ultraskinny models is that they can wear most styles, as long as you airbrush out their ribs

Her image has still been airbrushed, a lot, you can tell. That said its standard procedure for these kind of things.

Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
sphere wrote:
Kim Kardashian?

No thanks.

Can't figure out the obsession with those women. They are not good looking when it comes to facial features,

Sort of like Paris Hilton for me. I mean not bad looking but really not great looking either yet I get the impression that part of what is suppose to be appealing about them is that they are beauties.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
kiki wrote:
her body: good to see on the cover of a magazine, and i'm glad they left the hip creases in, that's real

i don't think the suit flatters her. A bikini would be better.

the one advantage of ultraskinny models is that they can wear most styles, as long as you airbrush out their ribs

Her image has still been airbrushed, a lot, you can tell. That said its standard procedure for these kind of things.

Of course they’re airbrushed. Also,

“The magazine said it wanted women to know that there's no expiration date on our dreams and models don't have to check a specific box in order to be beautiful.”

lol.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [SDG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

😢
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
It’s certainly having an impact.

https://twitter.com/...oaTneERkUN_rNmzG6DaQ

I don't get it. I'd never heard of the guy, looked him up, and he's supposed to be an "intellectual." I could see some criticism of the cover that's plausibly intellectual. We've had some of it here., e.g. concern about the effects of cultural norms on public health, etc. But he just went with "not beautiful" which is just adolescent trolling.
Last edited by: trail: May 17, 22 9:27
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
sphere wrote:
It’s certainly having an impact.

https://twitter.com/...oaTneERkUN_rNmzG6DaQ

I don't get it. I'd never heard of the guy, looked him up, and he's supposed to be an "intellectual." I could see some criticism of the cover that's plausibly intellectual. We've had some of it here., e.g. concern about the effects of cultural norms on public health, etc. But he just went with "not beautiful" which is just adolescent trolling.

Whenever I've watched him or listened to him (he's had at least one conversation with Sam Harris) he reminds me a bit of new age guys like Deepak Chopra (but in a different vain) where he says a whole lot, often using big SAT words, but when it comes down to it he never really says much at all.

First time I saw him was him making some sort of defense of belief in God, if not Christianity, and making a mess of it because he wouldn't just admit that it comes down to faith but rather was some sort of sensible objective, rationale position to take. So first impressions...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
sphere wrote:
Kim Kardashian?

No thanks.

Can't figure out the obsession with those women. They are not good looking when it comes to facial features, not fit, ( looks like they have had their butts injected with something) and their hair is pretty gross. Hair is always matted down and oiled up with something. Just not my tastes at all.

But at least they aren't obese like the one that is on the cover. That is simply irresponsible to glorify that size of person and the health risks that come with being that size.

Well, in terms of calling them not good looking, that's really a subjective call. At least you admitted to limiting your view to your tastes, otherwise it's a line that's not right to cross. Personally, I'm not a fan of butt injections, but hair could be all types. I don't have a problem with any of that.

As far as not being healthy - yes, agree that that's not a good look and shouldn't be celebrated. But healthy can be tied to objective measures (HdLs, Vo2, ... in some cases weight). Whether she's good looking or not? Personal tastes only.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
I’m also not sure that “be the change you want to see…” is a great quote to put on a cover with an overweight person, unless they’re actively trying to tell people to be happy with being unhealthy and at greater health risk.

I came across this today.

Quote:
Actor Rebel Wilson has spoken out about how her 35kg weight loss has affected her fertility journey. Speaking on Sunrise, an Australian morning show, the 41-year-old actor opened up about her decision to freeze her eggs, and took a deep dive into her self-confessed "year of health."

Rebel revealed to the show's host that her life has "changed dramatically" in the last year, since she decided to focus on her lifestyle. "I lost about 35 kilos [77 lbs]," she said, "I went to the doctor and got my yearly check-up last week, and he's like, 'Oh my God, all your labs and your blood work is the best it's ever been and you know, it's kind of remarkable'."

Since losing weight, The Pitch Perfect star pointed out she's been exploring fertility options, as she hopes to one day start a family. "It first started when I was looking into fertility stuff and the doctor was like, 'Well, you’d have a much better chance if you were healthier'," Rebel explained, admitting she was a bit "offended" by this as at the time she thought she was a "pretty healthy" weight.

She continued: "That’s kind of what started it, that if I lost some excess weight that it would give me a better chance for freezing eggs and having the eggs be a better quality. It wasn’t even really myself, it was more thinking of a future mini-me, really."

The idea that one can be significantly overweight and "perfectly healthy" is fairly absurd. I'd be perfectly happy to see people like Wilson included in those swimsuit editions as success stories, or works in progress, to celebrate the positive impact a healthy lifestyle and weight loss has conferred. That doesn't require being supermodel skinny. I haven't read the accompanying articles in the SI photos in this thread, but I don't get the impression that's the focus; rather, their obese figures are being portrayed as beautiful as is. Granted, some people may see it that way, but I think there's a real danger in normalizing obesity, and glamorization of obese figures without question takes significant steps down that path.

Last edited by: sphere: May 18, 22 11:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woke universities' newest social justice crusade: Fighting 'fatphobia' | Fox News

Rebel and all the doctors saying it's healthier to be a lower weight are about to get cancelled for being racists.

Oy Vey.......What a world eh?

I guess we can tell our little girls and boys to eat like pigs, weigh 330 at 5'6 and all will be good. Hope they don't realize it was all a lie when they die at 42 years old, and have their limbs amputated from Type II Diabetes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rambling: i get the arguments against glamorising/normalising/celebrating obesity because it could encourage complacency when it comes to losing unhealthy weight.

I also get the real struggle people face with body image. How can you feel right in yourself if you're made constantly aware, via media images, that you're 'wrong'?

mixing up the models -- super skinny to pretty darn heavy to old to disabled to unconventional looking or just average -- is better than the old school magazine look of the 70s and 80s -- those girls were mostly wretched with hunger.

if fit, incredible bodies is all you want to see, stick with the ESPN olympians

dibs on the Ozzie lifeguards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SDG wrote:
Woke universities' newest social justice crusade: Fighting 'fatphobia' | Fox News

Rebel and all the doctors saying it's healthier to be a lower weight are about to get cancelled for being racists.

Oy Vey.......What a world eh?

I guess we can tell our little girls and boys to eat like pigs, weigh 330 at 5'6 and all will be good. Hope they don't realize it was all a lie when they die at 42 years old, and have their limbs amputated from Type II Diabetes.

I teach this sort of stuff at a University. I'll let you know when they come after me.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You teach this sort of stuff?

Quote:
The school released a policy brief in October called, "Addressing weight stigma and fatphobia in public health," which said the country’s focus on body size is "rooted in racism" dating back to Charles Darwin, and it advised against using "extremely stigmatizing" words like "obesity" in favor of terms such as "people in larger bodies."

Quote:
"I know that fitness pros are well-meaning when they say "everyone should move" or movement will "make everyone healthier" or "we should build community in our neighborhoods around movement" but it's not true, it's harmful, and we need to stop saying these things."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Quote:
The school released a policy brief in October called, "Addressing weight stigma and fatphobia in public health," which said the country’s focus on body size is "rooted in racism" dating back to Charles Darwin, and it advised against using "extremely stigmatizing" words like "obesity" in favor of terms such as "people in larger bodies."

Quote:
"I know that fitness pros are well-meaning when they say "everyone should move" or movement will "make everyone healthier" or "we should build community in our neighborhoods around movement" but it's not true, it's harmful, and we need to stop saying these things."

No, I would fall under the "well-meaning fitness pros" I guess.

Curious to know what isn't true because there seems to be a lot of evidence of the health risks associated with obesity.

I've been teaching this stuff for over a decade, only issue that has ever come up was a student with anorexia complaining that we shouldn't be talking about obesity and health because of people like her.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
sphere wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Curious to know what isn't true because there seems to be a lot of evidence of the health risks associated with obesity.

I've been teaching this stuff for over a decade, only issue that has ever come up was a student with anorexia complaining that we shouldn't be talking about obesity and health because of people like her.

I would think this would lead to a good discussion about moderation, healthy eating choices and the balance between the two extremes.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
sphere wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would think this would lead to a good discussion about moderation, healthy eating choices and the balance between the two extremes.

Maybe, I didn't know about it until after the fact. She went to the director of the program and didn't speak to me about it and I wasn't told until some time later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
sphere wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe, I didn't know about it until after the fact. She went to the director of the program and didn't speak to me about it and I wasn't told until some time later.

My limited understanding of anorexia is that it doesn't have as much to do with food as it does with love, acceptance and relationships.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [iBot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iBot wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
sphere wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

My limited understanding of anorexia is that it doesn't have as much to do with food as it does with love, acceptance and relationships.

I have no idea, this person was triggered by discussions around obesity apparently so maybe her issues had something to do with fear of being fat and unhealthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
sphere wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's pretty messed up. I wasn't insinuating you would not have addressed the situation, just a thought on how someone with anorexia, who I would assume has been in counseling could see it as a teaching moment.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
sphere wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's pretty messed up. I wasn't insinuating you would not have addressed the situation, just a thought on how someone with anorexia, who I would assume has been in counseling could see it as a teaching moment.

It was my first year here, so I didn't really know her, maybe that's why she didn't come to me. I was actually surprised to find out about the whole situation since I didn't even know she was anorexic. She ended up with all sorts of health issues, not even directly related to the anorexia and died a few years after she graduated. Pretty sad situation all around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the physical appearance space is out of control and has been for some time and it's only getting worse. The prevalence of people that are overweight or obese is at an all time high(74% and rising) and this does come with a cost both to the individuals and to society. In addition, the influencer/model sphere has never been more influenced by cosmetic surgery, PEDs and airbrushing. The image presented as ideal is not attainable without surgical or pharmaceutical intervention.

Normal people have flaws, it's just reality. If I am in an anabolic phase, I have higher carb intake with puffier muscles and carry more water. If I'm in an endurance phase, typically I am carb restricted and appear leaner but flatter and weigh less. For many of these models, they are manipulating fluid levels by diet as well as diuretics and PEDs to get the best of both worlds for their photoshoots.

No idea how much they airbrushed the "Body Issue", but we need a real reset on what is healthy and what that looks like, and that issue was a good start. Especially if the athletes come from sports where they are drug tested, even though that isn't a perfect solution.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More criticism, this time from the LGBTQIA2+ (I’m not making that up) angle. Apparently it’s problematic that the WNBA players featured in the article accentuate their femininity.

From CNN:

“There are plenty of feminine queer women, but queer womanhood is much more expansive than that. In distancing itself from the potential of an explicitly queer aesthetic, this photo display distances itself from the truth of what the league actually is: a group of elite athletes that includes a lot of queer, Black women.”

“It's long past time to celebrate and uplift queer, masculine-of-center aesthetics as desirable. The players -- with their range of gender expressions -- make the league what it is, and they deserve to be uplifted and celebrated and marketed for exactly who they are.“

Opinion: Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue is a step back in time. And not in a good way

I do see her point, though, and I’ve made a similar one here regarding token but ultimately exclusive “inclusivity.”

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
LGBTQIA2+

Don't worry, I'm off to google to educate myself, but before I do, wondering if the "2" is for 2nd amendment zealots?

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
More criticism, this time from the LGBTQIA2+ (I’m not making that up) angle. Apparently it’s problematic that the WNBA players featured in the article accentuate their femininity.

From CNN:

“There are plenty of feminine queer women, but queer womanhood is much more expansive than that. In distancing itself from the potential of an explicitly queer aesthetic, this photo display distances itself from the truth of what the league actually is: a group of elite athletes that includes a lot of queer, Black women.”

“It's long past time to celebrate and uplift queer, masculine-of-center aesthetics as desirable. The players -- with their range of gender expressions -- make the league what it is, and they deserve to be uplifted and celebrated and marketed for exactly who they are.“

Opinion: Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue is a step back in time. And not in a good way

I do see her point, though, and I’ve made a similar one here regarding token but ultimately exclusive “inclusivity.”

So is this the fault of the players for being authentically themselves, were they pushed to be something they are not or did the magazine specifically select feminine queer women. The reason I ask is that everyone in the magazine has makeup(I would think) and if they are to be seen as masculine, are they to go topless, possibly after having top surgery?

I'm unclear as to what solution is being offered, if there is a solution here.
Quote Reply

Prev Next