Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sports Illustrated was the vehicle for perhaps the greatest single piece of sports fiction ever written, including Semi-Tough, North Dallas Forty, or The Natural

https://www.si.com/...ious-case-sidd-finch

Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas was supposed to be Hunter S Thompson's coverage of the Mint 400 off-road race for Sports Illustrated, but things kinda went off the rails; SI rejected it and Rolling Stone picked it up instead

The rest is history

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"There is no such thing as being obese and perfectly healthy, much in the way that you can't be perfectly healthy with a smoking or alcohol habit. The consequences simply haven't manifest yet"

Normalizing obesity is disturbing. Not only is this seen in magazines but also in the mannequins of stores (LuluLemon for example).

We have to find a way to balance obesity and eating disorders (or body dysmorphia). How to do that, I don't know, but I feel like obesity has become a much much bigger problem with far reaching future consequences. Obesity related medical problems, like diabetes, osteoarthritis, and hypertension, may not show up for years. And by then, the damage may be permanent. I see the effects of obesity every day in my office dealing with obese poorly controlled diabetics and hypertensives. We have had to buy extra "obesity" chairs to handle the weight of some of these patients (last I looked, these were $1600 per chair).

A public health researcher, at UNC/Chapel Hill, looked at COVID deaths and hospitalizations, and found obese/overweight Americans had something like a 130% higher risk as compared to their non-obese/non-overweight counterparts (to die or be hospitalized). So, we are still dealing with a pandemic that continues to claim lives, with one of the biggest risk factors being obesity, and yet we still try and glamorize it to make people feel good about themselves or see someone "that looks like my size". I don't want to shame or bully anyone, because they are obese/overweight, but there has to be a new direction taken for the health of our citizens (I've read reports that 30%+ of children are considered obese/overweight).
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
something interesting here (at least to me)

we're at a point where a heavier body is celebrated, which is cool, because stick-thin (via starvation, ritalin and cigarettes) is no good.

yet

her lips are filled, her cheeks are filled, she possibly has botox, her hair is bouffed out.

In other words, all body types are great as long as you're conventionally pretty (or made to look so)

how about we get to a place where average, unaltered looks are celebrated in magazines. Or is that too radical?
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's be honest.... chubby chicks are chubby, and they get that moniker for obvious reason. Some dudes like chubby chicks, and those guys are called chubby-chasers. Fine for them....
This SI "model" picture has become the "norm" for a lot of women. Doesn't mean it's right, healthy, attractive, or desirable to the opposite sex, etc, etc.....
You're reading this thread because you're on ST, which means you're into fitness, competition, health, nutrition, etc. So, if you yourself are into this lifestyle, how do you rectify the opposite sex being so far from this same lifestyle? Listen, chubby guys like chubby ladies..... fit guys typically like fit ladies....

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what point you're trying to make, but here's some Benny Hill.

Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These girls glutes look like those of marathon runners compared to 21st Century "standards"

Clearly, they didn't crave squats back then

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
something interesting here (at least to me)

we're at a point where a heavier body is celebrated, which is cool, because stick-thin (via starvation, ritalin and cigarettes) is no good.

yet

her lips are filled, her cheeks are filled, she possibly has botox, her hair is bouffed out.

In other words, all body types are great as long as you're conventionally pretty (or made to look so)

how about we get to a place where average, unaltered looks are celebrated in magazines. Or is that too radical?

Favorite post of the thread so far.

The issue is looks are so subjective. Society has standards, albeit warped, but attractiveness is so subjective: makeup, hair color, size, features, etc.

It’s impossible to please everybody. It’s impossible to be all-inclusive and not piss some people off, especially with a private enterprise at the helm.

I just wish we could celebrate all bodies without supporting/celebrating unhealthy habits (because I see physical health as a main issue in our society) and, like you said, without celebrating the “Kardashian Effect” or whatever the hell we want to call it.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cover photo for this edition was released.

https://twitter.com/...oaTneERkUN_rNmzG6DaQ

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“ In other words, all body types are great as long as you're conventionally pretty (or made to look so)

how about we get to a place where average, unaltered looks are celebrated in magazines. Or is that too radical?”

I’ve been saying this forever. The unspoken rule is, everyone is beautiful now, so long as you’re uncommonly pretty. That qualifier will never change. Sorry, I don’t give these businesses social responsibility attaboys for ever so slightly expanding their highly exclusive club with a wink and a nod to inclusivity.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
her body: good to see on the cover of a magazine, and i'm glad they left the hip creases in, that's real

i don't think the suit flatters her. A bikini would be better.

the one advantage of ultraskinny models is that they can wear most styles, as long as you airbrush out their ribs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. She looks great in this photo, presumably from the same issue.

https://swimsuit.si.com/..._nu_02_391_wmweb.jpg

No one really looks good in those belly fat sling style suits.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok with rare exception.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

It means mom is just another one of the girls, no judgement, very little parenting. Whatever is fine.

plus, takes off her clothes for SI!

signed,

bitter regular mom

Yes, same with my wife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Say what you will about this, but the only time I ever hear anything about SI is around their swimsuit issue.

Their marketing department is doing something right.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s certainly having an impact.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frankly, that is gross and we should not be celebrating it.

After a pandemic where a significant comorbidity was being overweight, we are now going to glamorize obesity?

Type 2 diabetes is no walk in the park and getting a foot amputated due to complications won't make that walk any easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

For someone who seems to like to tell people how they should be living their lives, that guy really is a train wreck.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not one to argue the vessel must be flawless to deliver a valuable message, but…yeah. He can be his own worst enemy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I’m not one to argue the vessel must be flawless to deliver a valuable message, but…yeah. He can be his own worst enemy.

What if the vessel repeatedly falls to the floor and shatters?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are actually four different covers. I'm sure SDG will have an issue with all of them.

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/...-kardashian-84748799

And the one you posted - she's the niece of DJ Steve Aoki.

https://pagesix.com/...swimsuit-2022-issue/

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
There are actually four different covers. I'm sure SDG will have an issue with all of them.

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/...-kardashian-84748799

And the one you posted - she's the niece of DJ Steve Aoki.

https://pagesix.com/...swimsuit-2022-issue/

Thicc is clearly the in look, but I guess it has been for a while :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
sphere wrote:

For someone who seems to like to tell people how they should be living their lives, that guy really is a train wreck.

Jordan Peterson appears highly attentive to his own looks. At some point during his disappearance from the public sphere he seems to have had a facelift and a hair transplant.

there's nothing the matter with either of these things, and indeed they're helpful for a positive self image if that's how you roll.

but it's not very manly in the classic sense he seems to think is so damn important.
Quote Reply
Re: Morbidly obese non-athletes in Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kim Kardashian?

No thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Kim Kardashian?

No thanks.

I’m also not sure that “be the change you want to see…” is a great quote to put on a cover with an overweight person, unless they’re actively trying to tell people to be happy with being unhealthy and at greater health risk.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply

Prev Next