Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you switched your training shoe brand *something* to Saucony... [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Anybody knows what is the durometer value of the PEBA foam of Saucony Endorphin Speed / Pro ?

They definitely last longer than Nikes and Hokas. They have this thin plastic/rubber thing on the bottom sole and they are light and sturdy. It seems like everyone has Saucony Speed or Pro. I also own Pro 1 & 2 and they are really comfortable. I want to buy Pro 1 Mutant White, but they are impossible to find. All gone I guess. They are just so comfortable and easy to run. I still get my PRs with Nikes though.
Quote Reply
Re: If you switched your training shoe brand *something* to Saucony... [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree on durability. I have the Speed with 200km+ and the rubber just looks dirty but shows zero wear. I expect them to easily last 600km+.

Endorphin Speed replaced a pair of Zoom Fly 2 as a fast training shoe. The Speeds feel faster, softer, and more comfortable.

My wife recently switched to the Endorphin Shift as her long day shoe, and loves them so far.

My 2021 rotation:
- Endorphin Speed for Interval/tempo days. They don't feel quite as fast as the Next% but they are also far more comfortable, stable, cheaper, and will last long enough to be used in training.
- Asics Novablast for tempo/easy days. Their foam is really nice. Very forgiving but the shoes still feel fast enough for any kind of workout, from tempo days to easy or even long.
- Asics GlideRide for long days. Most comfortable shoe I've ever worn without feeling slow. Even on 50km/30mi days there is absolutely zero discomfort. Maximal cushion but has a rocker shape for toe off that makes it feel quicker than it should (for a cushioned long run shoe) even the upper is super padded everywhere, making it feel like a pillow.
- Next% for racing. They aren't very stable or long lasting but holy smokes they are fast. Did a 10k yesterday and held an even pace that is normally challenging for a few km in "regular" shoes for me (3:45k/6:00mi)

My 2022 rotation purchased this weekend (always replace all shoes on Black Friday deals):
- Endorphin Speed 2 for interval/tempo/easy days. I like to experiment and change shoes up, but these are just too good leave out.
- Tempo Next% for interval/tempo/easy days. They felt very fast in store and squishy stack is beyond allowable max by World Athletics. 2022 will be a high mileage year and I want to BQ, so this shoe seemed like a good pick for fast/long training at 86kg/190lb. Had a hard time chosing between these, the Novablast 2 (bit slower), and Magic Speed (bit firm).
- Probably Glideride 2 for long days if I can try them on. They didn't have my size and I heard v2 got firmer, so I still need to try it before committing. Since I like the foam in the Speeds, I tried on the Triumph 19 and those feel pretty nice, too. Doesn't roll or have quite the cushion of the v1 Glideride, though.
- Metaspeed Sky for racing. Felt similar to Next% in terms of propulsion but with far more stability, so I will give these a try.

The foam preferences are greatly related to weight and pace, imo. I'm probably on the "heavier" side of the spectrum, at least for the paces I run. Because I'm heavier, I like cushion. But also because I'm heavier I can compress shoes more than a lighter runner. React foam without a place feels great to me, but some lighter runners will say it's too firm. Regarding pace, Next% is a great example of a shoe that feels odd at 4:30km/7:30mi or slower, but turns into magic fuel at 3:45km/6:00mi pace.
Quote Reply
Re: If you switched your training shoe brand *something* to Saucony... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long lasting. Super competitive on price. The Speed2 is a GREAT shoe. Their carbon plated Endorphin Pro2 is $100CAN less than Nike Alpha and a great shoe.

Performance wise here is a great article.

https://www.outsideonline.com/...t-vaporflys-saucony/

I very rarely ran in Saucony until the Endorphin series release.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: If you switched your training shoe brand *something* to Saucony... [gaukler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need a bit of stability/control and for the past few years have trained on Brooks Ravenna and raced on Saucony Fastwitch. Didn't want to be left behind in the whole supershoe thing so switched to the Endorphin Shift as a trainer with a mind to race in the Endorphin Pro. Injury derailed my running season so never got around to running fast. Am looking at the Asics shoes as a racer next year, but was happy with the feel of the Endorphin Shifts for training. Can't run with them on treadmill though... Feels too weird
Quote Reply
Re: If you switched your training shoe brand *something* to Saucony... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried the Shift first and fell in love with it after trying one or two of the Nike's and found them to be really squishy at slower speeds and unstable.That led me to the Guide, and then I saw the Speed on sale and picked them up and loved them too, which led to try the Kinvara 12 which then led to two pairs of those. Also got the Metaracer on a crazy sale just to try something different ....also a great shoe but I am pretty much all in on the Endorphin line. Great shoes and really durable.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went all in on Saucony because of their eco-conscious choices. I wear their vegan Jazz shoes and have three pair of shoes for training. I can't speak for performance comparisons - I just liked the company.

I'll be intrigued when other companies come out with carbon neutral shoes as well.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Altra Escalante to the Endorphin Speed. I know ... big switch. The cushion of the sole makes it feel like I can run all day in a light weight shoe and the propulsion of the Speed Roll just makes me run faster. I tried Nike Vaporfly and Hoka CarbonX but both were too narrow.
Last edited by: bjgwoody: Nov 27, 21 19:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched to endorphin speeds from Hoka Clinton's and Brooks launches for faster runs. For me they are super comfortable and quick, I feel like they save 40 seconds a mile at the same intensity. They like to go fast. I have a pair of Pros too that I use for races. They are not as comfortable as the Speeds but seem fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
long time asics runner, Kayano, noosa tri 11, 12, DS...
Switched to Endorphin pro for racing and loved it and then bough the shift for the easier tempo runs. As much as I love the Pro for racing, I am thinking of the new asics Sky if it offers more stability

Tridad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitchers? Yeah, it's probably the Endorphin line-up that's done it.

That said, Saucony's meat and potatoes line up (Ride, Guide, Triumph, Kinvara) have been crushing it. And unlike a lot of other companies right now...actually have availability. That's going to help. We're talking about a four to six month gap in futures orders and no at-once availability from a lot of brands. (So, Slowtwitchers: if you like a shoe right now and you're likely to need another one in the next six months, run to your local run shop and get it now.)

I've got two reviews of them coming: Endorphin Pro 2, and the new Freedom.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: If you switched your training shoe brand *something* to Saucony... [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allegedly, 25.5 according to another review site.

That seems off. I'll see if I can get an answer from them directly, but it'll likely take a while to get there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I moved from ON CloudFllow which I had worn for several years to Saucony Endorphin Speed, but also rotate with New Balance Rebels. Both new shoes are way more comfortable to run in than any ON shoe I've tried.

I find I cannot wear the Endorphins for every run or soleus/calves get too tight. Use them mainly for faster runs and racing. Use the rebels the rest of the time.
Last edited by: SSMinnow: Nov 28, 21 4:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still do my road training in bondi's; i get last year's model on sale. at 190 lbs, my joints need the extra cush. saucony endorphin speed for faster road training, and for all racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did pick up the Saucony endorphin speed since so many people rave about it. I still wear my new balance for long steady runs. Any type of speed work I wear the Saucony.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After three knee surgeries, I got back into running with the Newton Kismet to teach myself to forefoot strike and minimize knee pain. After doing that for a couple of years, I feel pretty good and switched to the Endorphin Speed this summer.
Last edited by: Kay9Cop: Nov 28, 21 6:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always been rotating brands and models with a preference for Saucony and Brooks. The last two years ish, I've used mostly the Hyperion elite and tempo and the endorphin pro. With an occasional short run in adidas takumi sen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used Brooks Pure Flows in the past. Tried the Newtons for a bit a few years back. Jumped on the Hoke train. Had Saucony, Sketchers, Zoot, and Nike mixed in for a bit.

Ultimately, I hated the Cliftons and only did 80-100 miles in mine before realizing they weren't for me, but I did go through a few high mileage pairs of Bondis. I used the bondi as my long day trainers and used a pair of Kinvaras for me speed work stuff. I eventually tried a pair of the Endorphin Pros and loved them. This was pretty recent. I need to replace my last pair of Bondis and I will likely try the Shift. I also need to replace my Kinvaras, so I will probably get another pair of them, but also try the endorphin speed.

I fear if losing out on some of the brand variety will increase my risk of injury. I've been fortunate enough to have abstained from any running related injuries over the years and maybe the brand variety has always contributed to that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched to Saucony for training after I got a pair of Endorphin Pros to use as my racing shoes last year. So I picked up a couple of pairs of Saucony to train in to keep my training shoes similar to my racing shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: If you switched your training shoe brand *something* to Saucony... [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Allegedly, 25.5 according to another review site.

That seems off. I'll see if I can get an answer from them directly, but it'll likely take a while to get there.

Thanks

Apparently FuelCell foam of the Rebel v2 is around 25, while FuelCell of the RC Elite 2 is around 22.

Clifton 8 CMEVA seems to be around durometer 32.

Durometer 25 will put the Speed / Pro foam at the same durometer value as the Rebel v2, with a higher stack, so with presence of the plate, it shall be perceived same "forefoot softness" (not stifness) than the Rebel v2 and Clifton 8. This is not what I heard (I heard it was kind of firmer), but have no experience of this shoes (except Clifton 8)

Anyone can confirm if Endorphin Speed frontfoot is same/softer/firmer than Rebel v2 / Clifton 8 ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It definitely rides firmer than a Clifton in the forefoot.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. Switched to Endorphin Speed Pro for all running.
Quote Reply
Re: If you switched your training shoe brand *something* to Saucony... [barrec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
barrec wrote:
I went all in on Saucony because of their eco-conscious choices. I wear their vegan Jazz shoes and have three pair of shoes for training. I can't speak for performance comparisons - I just liked the company.

I'll be intrigued when other companies come out with carbon neutral shoes as well.

Many brands are starting to improve their supply chains. Check out Asics Earth Day shoes, such as the Glideride. A reviewer said the upper in the Metaspeed Sky is also 100% recycled. I know Nike and Adidas are also increasing their recycled and natural fiber contents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I already had a pair of Kinvaras in the rotation. I added the Endorphin Pro for a long race shoe (Nikes are good up to 5k but were doing weird things to my ITs past that). I just added two pairs of Endorphin Speeds - one that is water resistant for rain/ snow/ slush and one that is high vis for dark running.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I originally began my real racing career with the original Saucony Kinvara, and was a Kinvara and Virrata user for several years. I then switched to Hoka, absolutely loving the Clifton 1, then the 2. After that the Clifton went to hell. I eventually found a few other Hoka models similar to the original Clifton, and when the Clifton 1 was reissued, bought around 7 pairs. Last year I used my REI dividend on a pair of the Speeds, and haven't looked back since.

I'm on my fourth pair, of Speeds and also have a pair of the Pros for faster/track days. I'm definitely a Saucony ---> Hoka ---> Saucony convert. Race day is in the Next%, but the Endorphin Speed is magical in some way. It makes easy runs feel comfy and super easy, but they come alive at faster paces and feel great at virtually every pace. I'm almost tempted to test out the Speeds in a race, as I don't feel they would be much slower than the Pro or even Next%.

I'm looking forward to getting some of the Speed 2's when the 3 comes out. Hopefully price will be down around the $100 mark.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I chose Nike in the survey but own Saucony too. My current crop of active shoes in my rotation:

Nike VaporFly - BEST shoe that I’ve ever run in
Nike Pegasus - good shoes
Nike Zoom Fly 3 - good shoes
Nike Tempo Next % - not my favorite

Saucony Endorphin Pro - good shoes but not as good as VaporFly
Saucony Endorphin Speed - good shoes, better than the Pegasus or Zoom Fly 3

Adidas Prime X - I know that they look like clown shoes, but feel AMAZING
Adidas Boston 9 - by far the best shoe value that I own. Cheap, fast and comfortable

My trend of all my shoes are neutral with 8 mm ramp or more. I can’t run in low ramp shoes like Hoka because they’ll aggravate my Achilles and I’ll be limping for a couple days.
Quote Reply

Prev Next