Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Piggybacking on Sphere's holiday density... how big is your home?
Quote | Reply
Our house is 2300 sq ft, but we rent out the downstairs so 3 of us plus the dog essentially live in 1200 sq ft. We feel it is plenty of space but would need more if we have another kid. The smallest I've lived in was a 500 sq ft apartment I shared with my wife when we were dating.

What are you shacked up in?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Piggybacking on Sphere's holiday density... how big is your home? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the basement count? It's finished.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Piggybacking on Sphere's holiday density... how big is your home? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finished living space counts.
If your basemen looks like it fits on the set of Silence of the Lambs... then no.

Last edited by: BCtriguy1: Nov 25, 21 6:20
Quote Reply
Re: Piggybacking on Sphere's holiday density... how big is your home? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Not for real estate taxes or marketing purposes
Quote Reply
Re: Piggybacking on Sphere's holiday density... how big is your home? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Our house is 2300 sq ft, but we rent out the downstairs so 3 of us plus the dog essentially live in 1200 sq ft. We feel it is plenty of space but would need more if we have another kid. The smallest I've lived in was a 500 sq ft apartment I shared with my wife when we were dating.

How much is that translated into sensible units of measurement (the kind that every normal person in the civilized world is using)?
Quote Reply
Re: Piggybacking on Sphere's holiday density... how big is your home? [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
malte wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

How much is that translated into sensible units of measurement (the kind that every normal person in the civilized world is using)?

331200 square inches

.0528 acres
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then somewhere around 2300 sqft. 1600 without it.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 BR apartment. I don't know the square footage.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just looked at Zillow it says mine is 2100 but I think it’s closer to 3k. Both of the neighbors are showing as around 3k.

But our basement was finished super sketchily by a previous owner - with no permit on file. So that may be the difference.

We wanted a smaller house but also a 3 car garage for our toys- and could not find that.

I shared a very small 1br apartment with a roommate in Dublin - maybe 350 sq ft - under the eves - best year ever!
Last edited by: Moonrocket: Nov 25, 21 6:48
Quote Reply
Re: Piggybacking on Sphere's holiday density... how big is your home? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Really? Here finished basements count for both real estate and taxes (assuming your work was permitted).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Really? Here finished basements count for both real estate and taxes (assuming your work was permitted).

Here as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2300 sf.

Smallest was a college dorm. Roughly 10'x15' shared with a roommate.
Quote Reply
Re: Piggybacking on Sphere's holiday density... how big is your home? [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
malte wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

2300 SQ ft is 213 SQ m.
I try to dumb things down here for the Americans :-).

Although it's funny, despite Canada being a metric country we measure many things in imperial. For some reason, house and lot size fall in to that category. Distance and length we measure in imperial up to around 100ft... Then switch to m/km.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basement is finished and was not included in the assessment. But we have it rented out.

Upstairs we have 2800sq ft which is more than plenty for us to grow the family.

But today, we’ll have 12 people and 3 very large dogs, so the space is welcomed! We host the majority of the holidays which I don’t mind, I love having my family over.

This year will be interesting because my sisters dog is currently in heat and our guy is intact. So if we’re not super vigilant, I may me asking the LR if anyone wants German shepherd/ Bernese Mountain Dog pups lol.

Happy Thanksgiving all! Best to your families.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2500 sq. ft. for our family of 5.

3000 sq. ft. if we count the climate-controlled sunroom. I forget the reason, but the appraiser told us that it wasn't considered a livable space.

I'd like to downsize into a 1500 sq. ft. house once the kids are moved out.

Smallest was a 150 sq. ft. barracks room before I got married. I think our first apartment in Savannah, Georgia was 1100 sq. ft.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
malte wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

2300 SQ ft is 213 SQ m.

Although it's funny, despite Canada being a metric country we measure many things in imperial. For some reason, house and lot size fall in to that category. Distance and length we measure in imperial up to around 100ft... Then switch to m/km.

Yes, weird. Must be the bad influence from south of the border :-)
210 sqm is what we have also. Since the three kids moved out one by one it's just the two of us plus two cats. It's really more space than we need day to day, but nice to have room for everyone when the kids or the parents or the in-laws (or all of them at once) come visit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As noted in Sphere’s thread 3600 sq/ft. In college I lived for two years in a roughly 750 sq/ft apartment with 4 other guys. 1920’s unrenovated 4 bd/1ba with two dudes sharing the “big” bedroom. That was cozy.
Quote Reply
Re: Piggybacking on Sphere's holiday density... how big is your home? [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triocd wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Here as well

Not here. (Bi-levels or 4-level-splits count all levels, but if there is a main floor and basement, the basement doesn't count).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forgot about smallest. I rented a single bedroom in a house once in grad school. Hated the roommates so I kept to myself in there. Hot plate and dish ware and all.

I moved to a studio apt that was probably around 750 sq ft IIRC. That’s when I started dating my wife. Had everything I needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap, you people have a lot of house. We used to have a 1800 sqft house which was too much house for us. We downsized to a 1300 sqft house. The size is perfect. The only negative is that we only have 1 bath. Every once in a while, it'd be nice to have another.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
920 sq ft loft but only little ol’ me and my dog living in it. Smallest was a 510 sq ft apartment I shared with my (ex) wife.

Last edited by: jsivvy: Nov 25, 21 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: Piggybacking on Sphere's holiday density... how big is your home? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
malte wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

331200 square inches

.0528 acres

So, about 21,000 hamburgers then.
Quote Reply
Re: Piggybacking on Sphere's holiday density... how big is your home? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know how you do that. Our vacation home is 1300sq/ft and I have a hard time imagining living there comfortably on a permanent basis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Condo is 1265, it has a deck but no yard, house is 1466, yard is about 11,500 square feet. Just the 2 of us, so plenty of space. (Still filled with crap though) smallest was our first apartment in Hong Kong was 350 square feet. It was a very small one bedroom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
malte wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

2300 SQ ft is 213 SQ m.

When I move to Canada I found this mix of metric and imperial very strange. I did a race once where the distance was given in km but the pace on result list was given in miles/min.
BTW, my house is about 3000sqft
Quote Reply

Prev Next