Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
So Biden is releasing the SPR
Quote | Reply
https://www.reuters.com/...-sources-2021-11-22/

I thought Democrats wanted to crush oil consumption?

State economic planning at its best

Anyone care to defend this bullshit?
Quote Reply
Re: So Biden is releasing the SPR [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you need to check your outrage-ometer setting. Seems to be stuck on ultra-sensitive.

Inflation is a current problem around the world. High energy prices are a key contributor. Releasing some of the oil reserves may help to cool oil prices and help bring down inflation.

Doing this in coordination with other countries makes sense to increase the effectiveness of it. Also shows the benefits of having good relations with other countries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/first-japan-considers-release-oil-reserves-after-us-request-sources-2021-11-22/

This is about supply Windy, not consumption. It is not just United States but China, India, Japan, Republic of Korea, and the United Kingdom.

Hard not to laugh at the folks who wailed that Biden must do something about high gas prices and then wail when he does something about high gas prices. You also must have missed that almost 40% of this was mandated by Congress, something they have done 7 times in the last 4 years. Did you start a thread those 7 times or is your outrage selective?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think the actual release is what matters. And OPEC may be right, it is not clear there is a shortage. The price increase may very well be driven by trade speculation.

I think this line is key, "the threat of a coordinated release ... has knocked the wind out of crude oil's rally."

My understanding is that there really isn't enough in reserve to actually affect the price for very long, so this is more symbolic (staged, theater, pick your word of choice) than anything.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/first-japan-considers-release-oil-reserves-after-us-request-sources-2021-11-22/

Given your gross misinterprations of liberalism, I am sure you were just expecting him to give everyone a free electric car.
Quote Reply
Re: So Biden is releasing the SPR [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
I don't think the actual release is what matters. And OPEC may be right, it is not clear there is a shortage. The price increase may very well be driven by trade speculation.

I think this line is key, "the threat of a coordinated release ... has knocked the wind out of crude oil's rally."

My understanding is that there really isn't enough in reserve to actually affect the price for very long, so this is more symbolic (staged, theater, pick your word of choice) than anything.

The purpose of the SPR is not to fight inflation because your party is worried about midterms.

Your statements are fine but using the SPR for this is wrong IMO. (It can only put 4.4MM BBL out a day anyway).
Quote Reply
Re: So Biden is releasing the SPR [opusTpenguin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
opusTpenguin wrote:
windywave wrote:

Given your gross misinterprations of liberalism, I am sure you were just expecting him to give everyone a free electric car.

That was in the last spending bill that got shot down. I forget which page but you can read the thing and let us know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
j p o wrote:

The purpose of the SPR is not to fight inflation because your party is worried about midterms.

Your statements are fine but using the SPR for this is wrong IMO. (It can only put 4.4MM BBL out a day anyway).

China, India, Japan, Republic of Korea, and the United Kingdom are worried about the midterms? Huh?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
opusTpenguin wrote:
windywave wrote:

That was in the last spending bill that got shot down. I forget which page but you can read the thing and let us know.

This is a lie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

If this was just the US alone releasing reserves I would agree that it is mostly performative but in this case you have multiple countries participating in order to ease this short term supply crunch. It is also a nice FU to OPEC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The messaging from the dems on oil and gas prices has been sub-optimal. i think most of the electorate think gas prices are high because US oil production has been reduced by the dems in order to favor renewables; whereas US oil production is higher than it was in January, and higher than any time during the last 9 months of the the previous administration.
Quote Reply
Re: So Biden is releasing the SPR [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cancelling pipelines isn't helping with the messaging. IMO Biden is saying one thing and doing the opposite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"OIL PRICES ARE TOO HIGH AND IT'S ALL BIDEN'S FAULT!!!"

Biden adds more oil supply.

"THIS IS COMPLETE BULLSHIT!!!"

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: So Biden is releasing the SPR [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
The messaging from the dems on oil and gas prices has been sub-optimal. i think most of the electorate think gas prices are high because US oil production has been reduced by the dems in order to favor renewables; whereas US oil production is higher than it was in January, and higher than any time during the last 9 months of the the previous administration.

The messaging from the GOP Media machine has been optimal. They have been hammering the lie that high oil/gas are Biden's fault for months. They have been completely dishonest about Biden's policies, and their affect, while their followers have eagerly amplified the lie.

"A lie can travel around the world and back again while the truth is lacing up its boots.”—Mark Twain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

I too think this is mostly symbolic. I think the coordination with other countries helps send a stronger message. But unless some of those other countries have the ability to produce (and transport) over the longer term I think OPEC will see this mostly for what it is.

I am against our govt as a whole tapping into the SOR. That said I have seen it occur from both parties in the 2000's a number of times. I have equally not liked it anytime it has occurred by either party. Perhaps they need to change the term from SOR as I don't see this as a "strategic" use.

I think the larger issue, as is the case many times with Biden, is the message delivery. When you stand up in front of a national audience with Anderson Cooper and downplay the effectiveness of tapping into the SOR (maybe 18 cents a gallon) because you appear to get caught off guard by the question, get annoyed and blurt that out, and then less than a month later want to champion the idea, it's hard to take you seriously (whether you are OPEC or a US citizen).
Last edited by: Tylertri: Nov 23, 21 6:52
Quote Reply
Re: So Biden is releasing the SPR [Tylertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tylertri wrote:
j p o wrote:

I too think this is mostly symbolic. I think the coordination with other countries helps send a stronger message. But unless some of those other countries have the ability to produce (and transport) over the longer term I think OPEC will see this mostly for what it is.

I am against our govt as a whole tapping into the SOR. That said I have seen it occur from both parties in the 2000's a number of times. I have equally not liked it anytime it has occurred by either party. Perhaps they need to change the term from SOR as I don't see this as a "strategic" use.

I think the larger issue, as is the case many times with Biden, is the message delivery. When you stand up in front of a national audience with Anderson Cooper and downplay the effectiveness of tapping into the SOR (maybe 10 cents a gallon) because you appear to get caught off guard by the question, get annoyed and blurt that out, and then less than a month later want to champion the idea, it's hard to take you seriously (whether you are OPEC or a US citizen).

Did you intentionally misquote Biden or were you just repeating something you heard in the echo chamber?

Biden was not "caught off guard" by question about the SPR because Cooper never asked a question about the SPR. It was Biden who brought up the SPR as one of several options. Biden did not say "10 cents" he said 18 cents. He also explained that it would be part of a larger Foreign Policy effort, which today's announcement with multiple countries, clearly is

You can read the actual exchange, without your misleading spin, here
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2021/10/22/remarks-by-president-biden-in-a-cnn-town-hall-with-anderson-cooper-2/
Quote Reply
Re: So Biden is releasing the SPR [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
Tylertri wrote:
j p o wrote:

I think the larger issue, as is the case many times with Biden, is the message delivery. When you stand up in front of a national audience with Anderson Cooper and downplay the effectiveness of tapping into the SOR (maybe 10 cents a gallon) because you appear to get caught off guard by the question, get annoyed and blurt that out, and then less than a month later want to champion the idea, it's hard to take you seriously (whether you are OPEC or a US citizen).

Did you intentionally misquote Biden or were you just repeating something you heard in the echo chamber?

Biden was not "caught off guard" by question about the SPR because Cooper never asked a question about the SPR. It was Biden who brought up the SPR as one of several options. Biden did not say "10 cents" he said 18 cents. He also explained that it would be part of a larger Foreign Policy effort, which today's announcement with multiple countries, clearly is

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2021/10/22/remarks-by-president-biden-in-a-cnn-town-hall-with-anderson-cooper-2/

I misquoted. I went back and watched again as you were posting this. I have since edited my original post.

And this is the last time I will be responding to you as it's clear you just want to be combative about everything that doesn't fit your world view.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tylertri wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Tylertri wrote:
j p o wrote:

I misquoted. I went back and watched again as you were posting this. I have since edited my original post.

And this is the last time I will be responding to you as it's clear you just want to be combative about everything that doesn't fit your world view.

Pointing out that you are, once again, posting false claims is combative?

My world view is facts.I like facts, not dishonesty. Your post is an excellent example of how the echo chamber pushes false information that is then picked up, repeated, and amplified.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tylertri wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Tylertri wrote:
j p o wrote:

It seems you only changed one part of your multiple mischaracterizations in that paragraph, but you do you.

Your last paragraph is just so lame. He points out your clear errors and then you accuse him of having his own world view? A real man would just admit he was wrong and delete the whole paragraph.
Quote Reply
Re: So Biden is releasing the SPR [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
"OIL PRICES ARE TOO HIGH AND IT'S ALL BIDEN'S FAULT!!!"

Biden adds more oil supply.

"THIS IS COMPLETE BULLSHIT!!!"

I've never blamed Biden for oil prices
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tylertri wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Tylertri wrote:
j p o wrote:

How dare anyone point out facts! This will not be tolerated! Good day sir!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tylertri wrote:

And you, good sir, like to dodge things. Yesterday you referenced a thread that happened 5 years before you joined. Kay then asked which banned poster you are. You dodged.

Nutella pointed out a bunch of things you got wrong about what Biden said and you dodged most of it.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

I've enjoyed our positive interactions in the last several days. My original response to you here was an attempt to continue a share of viewpoints. I did get one fact wrong in my initial response that I have since corrected.

If you would like to continue please let me know.

I hope this thread gives you some perspective both on how/whether people choose to contribute in a positive manner here, and on whether the ganging up that was bothering you last week is limited to the people you wanted to protect going forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tylertri wrote:
j p o wrote:

I've enjoyed our positive interactions in the last several days. My original response to you here was an attempt to continue a share of viewpoints. I did get one fact wrong in my initial response that I have since corrected.

I hope this thread gives you some perspective both on how/whether people choose to contribute in a positive manner here, and on whether the ganging up that was bothering you last week is limited to the people you wanted to protect going forward.

I have appreciated your effort.

There is a reason that Dan ignores this side of the forum until someone really pisses him off then he comes in with the ban hammer and goes wild. And you aren't wrong. Once someone jumps in there is just a feeding frenzy. Like I told you before, if you are arguing with someone specific, have at it. I just find it really off putting when people who weren't involved in the original argument jump in. Like here, like another thread right now with Windy (though I am sure he can take care of himself and I am pretty sure he enjoys most/all of the fights), every now and then a couple people like to go after CallMeMaybe, Barry, and Ken I mentioned before.

I'm all for knock down fights. But just like the old west, bystanders should stay bystanders if the gunfight is fair.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Tylertri wrote:
j p o wrote:

I have appreciated your effort.

There is a reason that Dan ignores this side of the forum until someone really pisses him off then he comes in with the ban hammer and goes wild. And you aren't wrong. Once someone jumps in there is just a feeding frenzy. Like I told you before, if you are arguing with someone specific, have at it. I just find it really off putting when people who weren't involved in the original argument jump in. Like here, like another thread right now with Windy (though I am sure he can take care of himself and I am pretty sure he enjoys most/all of the fights), every now and then a couple people like to go after CallMeMaybe, Barry, and Ken I mentioned before.

I'm all for knock down fights. But just like the old west, bystanders should stay bystanders if the gunfight is fair.

I couldn't agree more. And I'm fine to take care of myself as well. What your post convinced me of last week is I spend far too much time here just swinging blindly and not enough time seeking out those who I may disagree with but have the ability to conduct that disagreement in a manner that allows us both to learn and grow.

I look forward to continuing that relationship with you. If I am out of line at any point in our interactions please point it out to me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next