Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A Team of Slowtwitchers Monitored CORE Body Temperature for Six Weeks During Training; Here’s How it Went [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
stevej wrote:
Have you experienced any drop out issues with the device? How often does the device need charged? On your garmin, can the ciq data field be added to an existing screen with other native data fields? How noisy or how much variation in the data do you see on your garmin?

Steve - not to derail, but how much outdoor work do you do/what is your schedule through the summer? I piss and moan about living in Hilton Head, but your situation is much worse but you seem to do pretty well with however you’re breaking things down.

My schedule (as far as indoor/outdoor) stays the same all throughout the year. I ride on the trainer during the week (due to time management and traffic) with the longer weekend ride outside. I run on the treadmill most days during the week and I do my one speed session (typically wednesdays) and long run outside. Any run after my long bike outside is also done outside.

So 1 ride outside a week and 2 runs outside a week on average. But that hasn't been driven by weather necessarily. Mostly by time management and injury prevention (treadmill). If I feel like I need to do a little more heat acclimation, I will take 1 of my easy runs outside instead of the treadmill.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: A Team of Slowtwitchers Monitored CORE Body Temperature for Six Weeks During Training; Here’s How it Went [MikeyC-anada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeyC-anada wrote:
Brian (& anyone else who have used this product).

Do you think this device could be helpful in comparing products that have a "perceived" increase in heat / core body temperature?

Off the top of my head I'm thinking back to back outdoor tests where power is maintained between two helmets or suits (with adequate time between runs to allow core body temperature to normalize)... for example, benchmarking an aerohead vs a rudy wing or a black tri suit vs a almost see thorugh white one built to be "lighter and cooler"

What are your thoughts on this??

Cheers
Mike

You're going to need to do several A/B testing sessions imo. Maybe an A/B/B/A then the next session B/A/A/B then do that two or three more sessions. With the crossover you've hopefully eliminated temp increases due to duration as well as ambient temp fluctuation. You'll need to keep the time you're down between runs the same as well. Unfortunately A/B testing is a lot harder to get right than it would seem.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jul 29, 21 14:45
Quote Reply
Re: A Team of Slowtwitchers Monitored CORE Body Temperature for Six Weeks During Training; Here’s How it Went [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the video they placed several COREs at different positions (forehead, chest, arm, etc.) and talked about coming up with a normalization between them. I'm taking this to mean that you will get different readings from different placements (unlike a optical HRM that should read the same everywhere), so consistency/repeatability in placement is key to get actionable results and historical baselines are needed to know what those reading mean for your performance. Is this correct? Is there some consistent variance vs an established source of truth (ex. pill or rectal)?

Also, how do things like dumping water over yourself at aid stations (and other non-steady-state events) impact the readings?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: A Team of Slowtwitchers Monitored CORE Body Temperature for Six Weeks During Training; Here’s How it Went [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
has anyone successfully used this on a Forerunner 920? The device doesn't appear on the 'Connect IQ' list for the Core app, and I really want to use core with this particular watch. (and not have to upgrade to another Garmin!).

Send a request to Core but I thought one of the testers might have dealt with this.
Quote Reply
Re: A Team of Slowtwitchers Monitored CORE Body Temperature for Six Weeks During Training; Here’s How it Went [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
has anyone successfully used this on a Forerunner 920? The device doesn't appear on the 'Connect IQ' list for the Core app, and I really want to use core with this particular watch. (and not have to upgrade to another Garmin!).

Send a request to Core but I thought one of the testers might have dealt with this.

There is a a version for the Forerunner 920 (or Fenix 3, Fenix 2 HR and several other older devices).
It is not available on the store yet but it is a special slimed down version to cope with the memory limitations on the 920.
Working on a new build that will combined the low memory version with the standard version.

If you would like a version of the CORE ConnectIQ DataField for a device that is not listed - just send us a message either here or through the CoreBodyTemp.com website

CoreBodyTemp.com
info@CoreBodyTemp.com
Quote Reply
Re: A Team of Slowtwitchers Monitored CORE Body Temperature for Six Weeks During Training; Here’s How it Went [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
In the video they placed several COREs at different positions (forehead, chest, arm, etc.) and talked about coming up with a normalization between them. I'm taking this to mean that you will get different readings from different placements (unlike a optical HRM that should read the same everywhere), so consistency/repeatability in placement is key to get actionable results and historical baselines are needed to know what those reading mean for your performance. Is this correct? Is there some consistent variance vs an established source of truth (ex. pill or rectal)?

Also, how do things like dumping water over yourself at aid stations (and other non-steady-state events) impact the readings?

The tests with Kristian with the multiple CORE devices in Serra Nevada was for some advanced developments taking place. As CORE measures energy transfer it has other possible such as which was also used for Kristian - measure the effectiveness of different triathlon suits with respect to cooling. The CORE sensor play a role in optimizing materials used for his suit used in Tokyo.

As for dumping water on your head at the aid stations - it more effects your core temperature than the CORE sensor.
Recommended to dump water on your head at aid stations and also good to start early. It is better to slow getting hot than get hot and try to get ride of the heat. Similar to dehydration or fueling - better to do preventive than fix it when it is too late.

CoreBodyTemp.com
info@CoreBodyTemp.com
Last edited by: theCOREguy: Aug 3, 21 5:33
Quote Reply
Re: A Team of Slowtwitchers Monitored CORE Body Temperature for Six Weeks During Training; Here’s How it Went [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a few ways to use CORE to test clothing / helmets for effectiveness with cooling. Often we will do these tests along with Areo tests at the same time so to weigh the trade off's between areo vs cooling or better to optimize the combination of the two.

If you would like more information or better suggestions on some ways to test please feel free to contact us at corebodytemp.com

CoreBodyTemp.com
info@CoreBodyTemp.com
Quote Reply
Re: A Team of Slowtwitchers Monitored CORE Body Temperature for Six Weeks During Training; Here’s How it Went [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
MikeyC-anada wrote:
Brian (& anyone else who have used this product).

Do you think this device could be helpful in comparing products that have a "perceived" increase in heat / core body temperature?

Off the top of my head I'm thinking back to back outdoor tests where power is maintained between two helmets or suits (with adequate time between runs to allow core body temperature to normalize)... for example, benchmarking an aerohead vs a rudy wing or a black tri suit vs a almost see thorugh white one built to be "lighter and cooler"

What are your thoughts on this??

Cheers
Mike

You're going to need to do several A/B testing sessions imo. Maybe an A/B/B/A then the next session B/A/A/B then do that two or three more sessions. With the crossover you've hopefully eliminated temp increases due to duration as well as ambient temp fluctuation. You'll need to keep the time you're down between runs the same as well. Unfortunately A/B testing is a lot harder to get right than it would seem.

There are a few ways to use CORE to test clothing / helmets for effectiveness with cooling. Often we will do these tests along with Areo tests at the same time so to weigh the trade off's between areo vs cooling or better to optimize the combination of the two.
If you would like more information or better suggestions on some ways to test please feel free to contact us at corebodytemp.com

Some products definitely have a greater influence on increase core body temperature but the perceived differences can be misleading. The perceived value of core temperature does not always match what is happening. I have been almost shaking riding down Swiss mountian passes in the rain and thought I was cold - but my core temp was still fine (verified with e-pill) but my body's defense could see I was loosing a lot of temperature through energy transfer so was trying to tell me to do something about it. The same can go with heat - perceiving early on this is hot or slowly getting core temperature very high and not feeling that hot.
An quick example - we all know what temperature is but if I ask you to hold your hand out and tell me the surrounding air temperature within a degree or two, very difficult (as humans we are bad thermometers but our perception is not so much temperature but energy transfer).

CoreBodyTemp.com
info@CoreBodyTemp.com
Quote Reply
Re: A Team of Slowtwitchers Monitored CORE Body Temperature for Six Weeks During Training; Here’s How it Went [jessec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jessec wrote:
One application I could definitely use this for is heat acclimation; in particular, lowering risk of heat stroke. For example, the last heat session I did raised my temp by more than 2.5 degrees C. I think you only need 1-1.5 degrees to get the benefit. If I’d had this device, I could have backed off.

Heat training / heat acclimation is one area where 'more' is worse or even dangerous.
Most the research shows for heat training you just need to be in your 'zone' - going much above this adds not additional benefits but can cause too much stress. Overdoing heat often shows up a few days later and serious heat illness can take a long time to full recover (get back to your old form/pace)

So if doing heat training - best to monitor core temperature and heart rate.

CoreBodyTemp.com
info@CoreBodyTemp.com
Quote Reply
Re: A Team of Slowtwitchers Monitored CORE Body Temperature for Six Weeks During Training; Here’s How it Went [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
What actionable items come from it? Or just the nice feeling of knowing you’re getting hot? Have you found anything like a 30sec walk break gets temp down?

Interested to hear more how you use it.

Also - chest or arm? Website makes it sound like chest is preferred but they sell an arm strap. I haven’t worn a chest strap in years.

CORE worn the chest will be more accurate. The arm can be used but with less accuracy. The arm is often used for 'work place safety' as it is more convenient to be worn on the arm (can even be worn over a thin shirt if worn tight). Though for sports, worn on the chest and paired with a heart rate monitor is the recommended more accurate position to wear a CORE device.

CoreBodyTemp.com
info@CoreBodyTemp.com
Quote Reply
Re: A Team of Slowtwitchers Monitored CORE Body Temperature for Six Weeks During Training; Here’s How it Went [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewjshults wrote:
With the clip to HRM strap option, is there anything consumable about the device? Or are the pads only consumables if you go with the stick on route?

There are no consumables for normal sports wear when worn on the heart rate monitor on the chest.

The medical grade patches are more used when monitoring 24/7 but one can generally be used for multiple days. My wife often clips hers onto her bra instead of using the patches.

CoreBodyTemp.com
info@CoreBodyTemp.com
Quote Reply
Re: A Team of Slowtwitchers Monitored CORE Body Temperature for Six Weeks During Training; Here’s How it Went [theCOREguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! This is helpful. Tho going back to a chest strap isn’t enticing.
Quote Reply
Re: A Team of Slowtwitchers Monitored CORE Body Temperature for Six Weeks During Training; Here’s How it Went [Jorge M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorge M wrote:
Yeah, that’s how the Norwegian Triathlon team tested their Tokyo white uniforms. As I mentioned above, that’s how we are planning to test some gear pre Kona. (Ie headband cooling device, kit, etc).

Spending my summer try to figure out how not to blow up in Hawaii this year.... not to derail this thread (and I do think based on this thread I will buy the CORE even though still not sure how I will implement into racing) but any gear or kits yall have found to be preforming better in heat? Anyone know what brand of kit the Norwegians used?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: A Team of Slowtwitchers Monitored CORE Body Temperature for Six Weeks During Training; Here’s How it Went [theCOREguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
theCOREguy wrote:

There is a a version for the Forerunner 920 (or Fenix 3, Fenix 2 HR and several other older devices).
It is not available on the store yet but it is a special slimed down version to cope with the memory limitations on the 920.
Working on a new build that will combined the low memory version with the standard version.

If you would like a version of the CORE ConnectIQ DataField for a device that is not listed - just send us a message either here or through the CoreBodyTemp.com website[/quote

received a response and the 'side-door' fix within a few hours of requesting. So far, every experience I have with CORE has exceeded expectations.

As well, I've spent the last few days returning to being surprised at the earlier questions (doubts?) from a few in the thread about 'actionable information' from this thing. Granted, I just dropped some coin on it so there might be confirmation bias seeping in, but I haven't run out of interesting questions that I would set out for this to answer ... individually, and generally. (Personally, this is a piece of tech that I have wanted since seeing a ST post about Simon Whitfield taking one of those core heat "pills" in a heat shed as part of his prep for the Athens Olympics ... and more recently, had made a call after seeing a television segment about the Cdn Women's Rowing Team using same in their heat prep for Tokyo.)

Just top of mind:

-how do different interval durations affect core temp
-how to recovery intervals affect core temp
-how do medications that my athletes are on affect core temp, and to what extent (ie 1 in 6 Americans (and probably more in the tri population) use psychiatric medications, and many of these have possible side effects of heat intolerance)
-what are mitigation strategies for heat accumulation in long Ae sessions (ie Bobby McGee 'run 10/walk 1' to minimize core heat accumulation)
-for coaches: athlete classification of "heat impaired" vs "non heat impaired" athletes in your squad; guiding everything from race selection to season planning
-for those heat impaired in my squad, understanding standard metrics like TSS aren't quite standard if athlete B is cooking for 12 hours after the session

and so on. So much neat stuff to come from this thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another tester here!

Like most everyone else, I found these very easy to use and to incorporate into training and have enjoyed the extra metric. Most of my training is running with a couple of bike sessions sprinkled in during the week. My approach to using CORE has been for heat adaptation. Living in Maine, I get about 3 months of "hot" running per year, which doesn't allow for a lot of heat training, particularly for early season races.

The first session I did with the CORE was an easy long run on a fairly humid and hot afternoon. My big take away from that run was how quickly my body temp went up to 100.4 (the number we look to hit to start the heat ramp test), then leveled out briefly before slowly climbing to just over 101, but I never felt like I was overheating. After the run I kept the monitor attached and like most of the other, was amazed at how long my temp remained high, despite it not feeling like it. The following day I performed the ramp test on the bike. I layered up in tights, long sleeve shirt, jacket, gloves, and hat and hit the trainer. This time around I was surprised at how LONG it took to reach 100.4 despite feeling over heated far before that. I was able to maintain HR and power longer than I thought I would but eventually it started to fall off, while body temp never rose above 100.5. Now that I had my optimal heat training zone, it was fun to see where I ended up on harder training runs (I run far more than I bike these days). I rarely exceed the training zone but the big take away for me was how what I'm feeling and what is really happening, can be VERY different. There were days where I felt absolutely cooked but my temp said otherwise. And days where I felt ok but backed off as my body temp was climbing too high. I'm looking forward to continuing this in the winter, when everything moves indoors and I hit the bike a bit more. It will be great to hit some longer training blocks mixing in very specific heat training and see how I come out of it next summer.
Quote Reply
Re: A Team of Slowtwitchers Monitored CORE Body Temperature for Six Weeks During Training; Here’s How it Went [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
theCOREguy wrote:

If you would like a version of the CORE ConnectIQ DataField for a device that is not listed - just send us a message either here or through the CoreBodyTemp.com website[/quote

received a response and the 'side-door' fix within a few hours of requesting. So far, every experience I have with CORE has exceeded expectations.

As well, I've spent the last few days returning to being surprised at the earlier questions (doubts?) from a few in the thread about 'actionable information' from this thing. Granted, I just dropped some coin on it so there might be confirmation bias seeping in, but I haven't run out of interesting questions that I would set out for this to answer ... individually, and generally. (Personally, this is a piece of tech that I have wanted since seeing a ST post about Simon Whitfield taking one of those core heat "pills" in a heat shed as part of his prep for the Athens Olympics ... and more recently, had made a call after seeing a television segment about the Cdn Women's Rowing Team using same in their heat prep for Tokyo.)

Just top of mind:

-how do medications that my athletes are on affect core temp, and to what extent (ie 1 in 6 Americans (and probably more in the tri population) use psychiatric medications, and many of these have possible side effects of heat intolerance)
-what are mitigation strategies for heat accumulation in long Ae sessions (ie Bobby McGee 'run 10/walk 1' to minimize core heat accumulation)
-for coaches: athlete classification of "heat impaired" vs "non heat impaired" athletes in your squad; guiding everything from race selection to season planning
-for those heat impaired in my squad, understanding standard metrics like TSS aren't quite standard if athlete B is cooking for 12 hours after the session

and so on. So much neat stuff to come from this thing.

>> core temperature is mostly effected by effort level and time. So sustained high effort. The 'rest' periods in intervals also contributes to cooling. For the first few intervals or time you also have a 'thermal buffer' basically your body can absorb some of the heat energy.
you have an efficiency so for example to make 300 watts of power your body uses 1000 watts of energy leaving 'roughly' 700 watts of energy that is primarily heat energy.
As your cooling system is connected to your fueling system -> blood diverted away from working muscles for cooling purposes X steals from Y.
But with training this can better be optimized.

>> the longer recovery between intervals the more chance for cooling. The shorter the recovery less cooling so will see a faster rise in core temperature.
Think of the working muscles as a (maybe bad example) a gas stove - hard effort, gas is on and heating up the water, turn off the gas, water cools down. Wait longer water cools down more. And for those 300 watts - 700 watts is a good amount of heat.

>> I could find out more for you (I have some people I can consult) but we may need to know more specifically what drugs you are referring too. We were involved in a study where they induced fever by injecting mistitle toe (I could have the detail wrong on the substance) - the example is to show that yes some medications definitely have an effect on core temperature but I don't have a general / direct answer to your question. Send me a private note if you wish with specifics and see if I can get you a better answer.

>> most can get better with dealing with the heat through heat aware training - though some will naturally be better than others (like riding up hills or riding in the wind).

>> heat, how it effects, how much one tolerates, how much performance derogates with core temp is like many things very individual. Monitoring and understanding yourself (or your athletes) is the first step. Just one more piece to the puzzle.

Hope I got to most your questions. I really like this topic so any questions please let me know or feel free to message me directly also.

CoreBodyTemp.com
info@CoreBodyTemp.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought one and it arrived today.

I guess I should have checked to see if it were compatible with my Coros Pace watch...

Now I don't know what to do with it. Silly me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine came in today and used it on a trainer ride. A few comments/questions:

- can skin temp be added as a iq data field for Garmin? I’d like to see both core temp and skin temp on my Garmin.
- can the battery level % be added to the main screen on the app (at the top)? It took me forever to find the battery % on the app.
- consider turning on the existing light to a certain color to indicate the device is charging and when it’s 100% charged.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: A Team of Slowtwitchers Monitored CORE Body Temperature for Six Weeks During Training; Here’s How it Went [cielo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cielo wrote:

I guess I should have checked to see if it were compatible with my Coros Pace watch...

Not sure what I can disclose publicly but... I can say that COROS is aware of CORE and how to support it in their products. So the problem you have should be resolved in the near future.

If you let COROS know that you also would like their devices to support CORE - it can help in accelerating the process.

But we don't want you to have something you feel you can not use - please send me a message and we can help sort a solution for you.

CoreBodyTemp.com
info@CoreBodyTemp.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
only used the core today for an easy trainer ride. i can already tell this thing is gonna be a really cool gadget.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: A Team of Slowtwitchers Monitored CORE Body Temperature for Six Weeks During Training; Here’s How it Went [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I have had mine for all of four days now…

I am curious what others have seen for peak temperatures. I did a hot Olympic triathlon today and saw 102.1°. It was not the most miserable I have felt, but it was hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
theCOREguy wrote:
cielo wrote:

Not sure what I can disclose publicly but... I can say that COROS is aware of CORE and how to support it in their products. So the problem you have should be resolved in the near future.

If you let COROS know that you also would like their devices to support CORE - it can help in accelerating the process.

But we don't want you to have something you feel you can not use - please send me a message and we can help sort a solution for you.

Wow. Thanks so much. I appreciate the feedback and follow up. I followed your recommendation and have emailed them. Fingers cross something happens soon. In the meantime I have dug out my old Garmin bike computer and set it up so I will have it on the bike, and I might just carry it with me on the runs for a bit.

Plus I was thinking I can train inside over the winter on the treadmill and trainer and see it with my phone. So a premature reaction on my part. As someone who struggles mightily with the heat, I'm very interested in using the CORE. Thanks again for the followup!
Quote Reply
Re: A Team of Slowtwitchers Monitored CORE Body Temperature for Six Weeks During Training; Here’s How it Went [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

I am curious what others have seen for peak temperatures. I did a hot Olympic triathlon today and saw 102.1°. It was not the most miserable I have felt, but it was hard.

Reminder that temperatures are very individual so what is hot for one person can be different for another (similar to heart rate but maybe even more individualistic)
So 102 for one could be easy where another could already be in the 'limit' zone.

Though 102 F is fairly common for a well trained athlete whom has been training at elevated temperatures but at 102 most would need to be adopting a slightly slower pace (power loss due to blood being used for cooling vs fueling).
But at the same time we have seen people over 106!

CoreBodyTemp.com
info@CoreBodyTemp.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

two trainer rides… first was easy 45 min with no fan, i hit 102.7. next day was an hour with two 10 min intervals right below ftp and wahoo fan on full blast the whole time, 102.9.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
theCOREguy wrote:
So 102 for one could be easy where another could already be in the 'limit' zone.

Though 102 F is fairly common for a well trained athlete whom has been training at elevated temperatures but at 102 most would need to be adopting a slightly slower pace (power loss due to blood being used for cooling vs fueling).
But at the same time we have seen people over 106!

This is interesting. I’ve had mine since Thursday and attempted the prescribed ramp test on the trainer and barely made it to 100.4 @80% ftp (~260w) after 15 minutes there. I have however noticed that every time I start out I’m below 98 degrees and right around 100.0 I’m absolutely pouring sweat. Yesterday on a 10 mile run with some efforts in 90 def heat and 70% humidity I just barely cracked 101.0 but I was definitely in the zone close to where I couldn’t have done another couple of miles.

I wonder if you’ve been able to see any correlation with heart rates and body temp? I typically have HR’s when sitting down in the 30s and I can count on one hand the # of times I’ve seen above 160 in the last decade. It’s interesting to me that I’m low compared to others in regard to both.
Quote Reply

Prev Next