Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: 200 fly...I wonder if the long term dominance of Phelps in that event effectively left a vacuum.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Abergili wrote:
Cody takes extra dolphin kicks off the wall that is why he is hated. Its the equivalent to being a doper in my book. Molly Hannis same treatment in swimswam comments for the same reason her kick is borderline illegal

He got DQ'd once for that...watching him swim the last few days, I didn't see anything illegal in his underwaters.

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have that youtube video playing on a nonstop loop on a big screen in my house if I were you. Did you make semis or finals that year or ever break 2:00?
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [trytj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, thanks. That video is from semis in ‘08. Made finals, finished 4th (8th place finish at trials in ‘04). 2:00.0uggggh was my best time in finals. I’ll post the finals video later today.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MA didn’t crude to the wall. He totally locked up. The flags in were bad. When you shut it down you get longer, he got really short. //

We have to keep his swims in perspective though. He goes out so fast that he sets up this horrible last 50, but it is sooooo fast. He basically takes everyone out in the fly leg, and then even tired he will crush the breast. His real dilemma is to find that sweet spot where he can come home in 28+. When you go out 1.2 faster than Lochte's WR, hard to imagine not imploding the last 50. Maybe just .6 faster and he gets that record, who knows. Right now I just want him to make that event, and then let some other coaches figure out his pacing strategies. I'm not sure it is an endurance problem at all, just a pacing one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man that first heat of the mens 100 fly was smoking. Great to see Tom Shields up there in contention, but looks like it is going to take a mid 51+ to make the final. Caleb just threw down a super impressive first heat time, one that would win the thing in two more heats for sure. Definitely going 49 mid somewhere before this thing is done. Glad Andrew withdrew, he is just not ready to do this many swims without knowing how to hold back a bit. Gonna make that 200IM even more exciting now that he will be fresh..
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://swimswam.com/...ication-to-no-avail/

He has been DQ’d at least 4 times at major meets. I hope he retires

Edit that doesn’t count all the times he cheated and got away with it. It’s an underwater thing that is difficult to call standing on the deck
Last edited by: Abergili: Jun 18, 21 12:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Abergili wrote:
https://swimswam.com/...ication-to-no-avail/

He has been DQ’d at least 4 times at major meets. I hope he retires

Edit that doesn’t count all the times he cheated and got away with it. It’s an underwater thing that is difficult to call standing on the deck

The whole 2nd dolphin kick is kind of funny given that the one dolphin kick rule was adopted because a lot of swimmers were doing one dolphin kick back when zero dolphin kicks were allowed. Slippery slope. Seems like it would be easier to judge if the dolphin kick had to be simultaneous with the pull.
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The evolution of both backstroke and breaststroke seems to me mostly letting the difficult to enforce things allowed to be.
Can't tell if someone is turning on their back? Let them swim freestyle.
Can't tell if someone does a dolphin kick? Let them.

I think there are a few more that I can't remember.

As far as the schedule, it's not quite the same as Tokyo. In Tokyo finals will be in the morning. This is to please NBC.
Here at trials, finals are at night.
This is reversed. Swimmers doing prelims for one event and finals in another will swim in a different order.
I think trials should match Oly's exactly. Once again pleasing NBC.

So much plugging of Phelps and Lochte at these trials. One isn't swimming and one isn't swimming well. Funny, both have shows on Peacock.
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree that they’ve made a lot of rule changes in BK and BR and the advances in underwaters make it hard to compare times to my era (late 1970s). Distance freestyle has been least effected by rule changes and underwaters, and while has seen steady improvement in times the improvement not as dramatic as the sprints.

Hoping Smoliga goes top 2 in 100 FR
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three things

One, Slowtwitch, please make a “post” button so we don’t have to “reply” to someone.

Two I’m so stoked for this 200IM

Three, same discussion we have every Olympic cycle...would swimmers prefer to do trials in like...March? So they have time to build and taper again? 5 weeks seems too close.

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Distance freestyle has been least effected by rule changes and underwaters, and while has seen steady improvement in times the improvement not as dramatic as the sprints. //

Having watched the turn develop since its inception(like you have) and trying to actually swim it as an old man, it is apparent that it is just too anaerobic for distance free. However what I have noticed is that in the beginning it was the 50/100, then later guys in the 200 adopted it. Now you see it in the 500 too, so perhaps it is just a matter of time before it hits the 1500/1650. I did see Katie doing it in her longer races, but dont recall if she did it in the 1500 or not, have to rewatch that one. It s just that it was a cruise for her, so she may have not swam it like she would trying to set a new WR..

Glad that the 200 breast did not slip away from Lily, really think under the right circumstances that she could really put one out there..
Last edited by: monty: Jun 18, 21 18:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re trials in March: nope nope nope. Too close on the back of college swimming. The last time we had a spring trials it was baaaaad. 5 weeks works so well in fact other countries (ie Australia, France) have changed to match the US window to try and find that magic. 5 weeks allows 2 weeks to go back up and 3 to come down again. Keep the team together so no one can lose form after making the team. Plus, for much of the team it’s a repeat of the conference/ncaa separation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Quote:

W100 free semi - sucks for Simone, seems as if she had some medical issues this spring that really impacted her training: https://www.si.com/...vertraining-syndrome

I would not call overtraining a "medical issue" per se. I was first "diagnosed" with overtraining at 16 and have been overtrained several times since then. I would suspect that you yourself were prob overtrained several times in your career. I think many swimmers become OT'd just due to the grueling nature of the sport. I think it is most common among those who really, really, really want a goal that ultimately proves to be beyond their capability.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re right, it’s obviously working, and it does mimic the typical NCAA schedule. I didn’t mean March persay, but maybe a little more room. But I suppose it’s easier to stay at the tippy top for a shorter amount of time. Just always seemed like a close shave with the travel and all, too.

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright doing this from my phone so no fancy picks updates.

-200 br man I’m not one for the sappy NBC stories but the one about Lazor and King got to me. Got a bit dusty at the finish there.

-200 bk. Murphy looks so smooth and in control. Nice swim for meffors. Hopefully Cassas can grow from this meet. I like his stroke, but he showed his inexperience in both the 100 and 200

-200bk. Gonna be a barn burner tonight between bacon and smith. Excited for a Badger to make the team hopefully.

-200 IM. MA did his thing and Kalisz did his. I expected more from Lochte coming into the meet, but after that 200 free and his gut hanging over the top of his suit, I wrote off that hope.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Casas was a disappointment I thought he would be the next big thing.

Women’s 100free really in a sad state for USA.

Pulling for Shields tonight it’s weird how the competition in the 100 fly suddenly disappeared

Swimswam pickem im in the top 30 out of over 1000 one bad day 1 score away from the top places
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah yeah. Missed the 100 free. Maybe I just wanted to block it out. An individual finals swim will be a surprise. Relay on the podium will be a long shot.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dressel making that 50 look easy.

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:

And Ervin fails to advance to the semis, placing 23rd in 22.61, but on the bright side, that may be the WR for the 40-44 AG. There were 4 guys at 21.XX and then 44 at 22.XX. In the women's, Simone looking better than in the 100, Q'ing 2nd at 24.56.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man- more spicyness on team selection. Looks like unless Held makes the team in the 50 he’s not going to make it as a 4x100 alternate. Limit of 12 relay only swimmers.

https://swimswam.com/...am-now-there-are-13/

Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
boobooaboo wrote:

And Ervin fails to advance to the semis, placing 23rd in 22.61, but on the bright side, that may be the WR for the 40-44 AG. There were 4 guys at 21.XX and then 44 at 22.XX. In the women's, Simone looking better than in the 100, Q'ing 2nd at 24.56.

Had to look it up 23.25 for 40-44 is the World Record.
Was this a USMS sanctioned meet? lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it will be Held who gets left out, since it's based on world rankings. His 100 time from this year is pretty high up there compared to some. It's hard to tell because neither the FINA site nor USA swimming seems to be complete or 100% up to date. Held did go a 48.07 at this meet, which is faster than the other 3 relay-only 100 free guys went. I think Callan would be first on the cut list, since Pieroni was only a tenth behind him in the 200 and could then swim both free relays.
I hope they all get to go, it's got to be the worst feeling when there are enough folks qualified for multiple swims to get those 5th and 6th places only to have it yanked due to this rule.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder when the last time this was an issue for the USA, definitely pre Phelps.

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plot twist i'm 9th in the pickem contest. I have Bella Sims getting 2nd tonight. Tom Shields getting 2nd and tomorrow I have Jordan Willamovky getting 3rd. The 50 frees are a total crapshoot with everyones picks still live but if those 3 swimmers finish in those exact places I have a pretty good shot to over take the leaders. I guess I would have keep someone else from leap frogging over me who knows.
Quote Reply

Prev Next