Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately it’s based on time at trials, not time for the year for the modified world rankings. They either need Sims or Held to pick up an individual spot (Smoliga or Hinds are longer shots IMHO)

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As much as I would like Adrian to make the team, probably best from a numbers perspective if Michael takes that 2nd 50 spot. All things point that way as of now, but hard not to root for him and Simone to get in on the thinnest of margins in the 50..
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
boobooaboo wrote:
Dressel making that 50 look easy.

And Ervin fails to advance to the semis, placing 23rd in 22.61, but on the bright side, that may be the WR for the 40-44 AG. There were 4 guys at 21.XX and then 44 at 22.XX. In the women's, Simone looking better than in the 100, Q'ing 2nd at 24.56.

Had to look it up 23.25 for 40-44 is the World Record.
Was this a USMS sanctioned meet? lol

In my mind, 22.61 will be the record but actually I'm pretty sure that the USMS/FINA rules require that Masters records have to be set in Masters meets, i.e. times in "open", all-comers meets do not count. Otherwise, I guess Phelps, Lochte, and several others would have many of the records in the younger AGs. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well looks like Regan Smith just let another spot go on the team, and she won't be swimming the event she holds the WR in. Super stoked for Tom Shields, and probably pretty glad Michael Andrew scratched this event. Funny thing about Tom, just saw all the all time records for the Huntington Beach pier swim I just did, and he holds the overall record back from 2009 still. I believe he was a Huntington kid growing up, so good to see at least one more of the older guard making this brutal cut..
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Abergili wrote:
Plot twist i'm 9th in the pickem contest. I have Bella Sims getting 2nd tonight. Tom Shields getting 2nd and tomorrow I have Jordan Willamovky getting 3rd. The 50 frees are a total crapshoot with everyones picks still live but if those 3 swimmers finish in those exact places I have a pretty good shot to over take the leaders. I guess I would have keep someone else from leap frogging over me who knows.

And in another fairly shocking plot twist, Regan Smith, WR holder in the 200 back, fails to Q in the 200 BK, coming in 3rd in the final. This after her Q'ing the 200 fly, which was somewhat unexpected IMO. She also Q'd in the 100 BK so at least she has one BK event, plus of course the med relay.

Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great evening session.

Cheering ultra hard for Adrian and Manuel tomorrow! Great 800 free. Would have loved to see Anderson make it in a “second sport,” but cool to see a 15 year old go second to Ledecky.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
I wonder when the last time this was an issue for the USA, definitely pre Phelps.

Adding the women's 1500 & men's 800 without expanding the roster limit makes it more of a crap shoot for those 5th and 6th relay qualifiers. Part of the reason the men's situation is still up in the air is that the 1500 is last day. You would expect at least one of the 800 qualifiers to double up, but one never knows.

The bigger problem for Held than the roster cap of 26 men is the 12 swimmer cap on relay-only swimmers, M & W combined. There's relatively little crossover between the top 6 in both the men's and women's 100 and 200 freestyles, and relatively few of the 3-6 finishers have an individual spot. So even if 3 slots tonight in the men's 1500 and 50 go to someone who's already qualified (pretty likely with the top two qualifiers in each event already having qualified in another event), he also needs one of the two current relay-only qualifiers swimming in the finals tonight to get an individual slot. It's pretty unlikely. It's more likely we go to Tokyo with only 25 men.

ericmulk wrote:

And in another fairly shocking plot twist, Regan Smith, WR holder in the 200 back, fails to Q in the 200 BK, coming in 3rd in the final. This after her Q'ing the 200 fly, which was somewhat unexpected IMO. She also Q'd in the 100 BK so at least she has one BK event, plus of course the med relay.

That was quite the shocking result. I was expecting her to blast home the last 50 like she did in the semis, but it was apparent within 3 strokes of the breakout that the extra gear just wasn't there. Maybe 3 rounds of 200 fly took more out of her than she thought it would?

She still has a pretty good shot at 4 medals (Probably gets at least a prelims swim in the Mixed Medley Relay), although it sucks that she's not in the individual event she would have seemed to have the best chance of winning. Maybe she'll uncork something special in the 200 fly?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jun 20, 21 4:24
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that’s a big meet schedule for a young swimmer. She just looked gassed that last 50 of her 200 back.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
boobooaboo wrote:
I wonder when the last time this was an issue for the USA, definitely pre Phelps.

Adding the women's 1500 & men's 800 without expanding the roster limit makes it more of a crap shoot for those 5th and 6th relay qualifiers. Part of the reason the men's situation is still up in the air is that the 1500 is last day. You would expect at least one of the 800 qualifiers to double up, but one never knows.

The bigger problem for Held than the roster cap of 26 men is the 12 swimmer cap on relay-only swimmers, M & W combined. There's relatively little crossover between the top 6 in both the men's and women's 100 and 200 freestyles, and relatively few of the 3-6 finishers have an individual spot. So even if 3 slots tonight in the men's 1500 and 50 go to someone who's already qualified (pretty likely with the top two qualifiers in each event already having qualified in another event), he also needs one of the two current relay-only qualifiers swimming in the finals tonight to get an individual slot. It's pretty unlikely. It's more likely we go to Tokyo with only 25 men.

ericmulk wrote:

That was quite the shocking result. I was expecting her to blast home the last 50 like she did in the semis, but it was apparent within 3 strokes of the breakout that the extra gear just wasn't there. Maybe 3 rounds of 200 fly took more out of her than she thought it would?
She still has a pretty good shot at 4 medals (Probably gets at least a prelims swim in the Mixed Medley Relay), although it sucks that she's not in the individual event she would have seemed to have the best chance of winning. Maybe she'll uncork something special in the 200 fly?

The other shocking result that AFAIK has not been discussed is that Dean Farris, 200 yd free AR holder at 1:29.15, apparently did not make the team in any events. For some unknown reason, he chose not to swim the 200 free but rather swam the 50/100 free and 100 back, and did not Q in any of the three. I wonder if there is any obscure rule that would allow him to swim a solo time trial in the 200 free to try to make the top 5 or 6 or however many 200 free swimmers they end up including on the team???

Last edited by: ericmulk: Jun 20, 21 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if there is any obscure rule that would allow him to swim a solo time trial in the 200 free to try to make the top 5 or 6 or however many 200 free swimmers they end up including on the team??? //

No way that happens, he chose not to swim that race for whatever reason. Could you imagine swimmers coming in after the fact and asking to swim events they did not enter? Looking at his form, we are not going to be missing anything anyway, lots of great swimmers for the 200 as it is. Hard part is going to try and figure out who swims A and B teams. Caleb is going to bump one of those top 4 in the 200 off the A team, and perhaps a full rearranging of 3rd through 6th, or 7th?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Concur about Farris he basically had a dismal meet. However a lot of these guys are stellar at short course and not so much at long course. Casas is another one —lots of people expected him to make the team but I guess short course is more his thing. On the other hand it’s really tough when just two spots are available.
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I wonder if there is any obscure rule that would allow him to swim a solo time trial in the 200 free to try to make the top 5 or 6 or however many 200 free swimmers they end up including on the team??? //

No way that happens, he chose not to swim that race for whatever reason. Could you imagine swimmers coming in after the fact and asking to swim events they did not enter? Looking at his form, we are not going to be missing anything anyway, lots of great swimmers for the 200 as it is. Hard part is going to try and figure out who swims A and B teams. Caleb is going to bump one of those top 4 in the 200 off the A team, and perhaps a full rearranging of 3rd through 6th, or 7th?

Ya, I kind of figured this was the case. I was just thinking of Jake Mitchell's solo TT in the 400 free but that was obv a very special case b/c he did not go under the FINA A cut standard in the 400 final.

Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J7 wrote:
Concur about Farris he basically had a dismal meet. However a lot of these guys are stellar at short course and not so much at long course. Casas is another one —lots of people expected him to make the team but I guess short course is more his thing. On the other hand it’s really tough when just two spots are available.

Ya maybe Farris is just better at short course, at least for now. Maybe he can can improve his long course game over next 3 yrs and make the '24 team.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Farris swam well in long course in 2019. Don’t know what happened, but some of these “older” swimmers seemed hurt more by the 1 year delay. Not sure Farris will hang around for another 3 years, as the pro swimming life seems pretty boring/marginal if your not clearly top 10 in world and on an improvement trajectory.
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
Great evening session.

Cheering ultra hard for Adrian and Manuel tomorrow! Great 800 free. Would have loved to see Anderson make it in a “second sport,” but cool to see a 15 year old go second to Ledecky.

Yeah, this was great. I wonder if Grimes can pull a Ledecky (2012) in Tokyo? :)

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally bizarre trials after the huge disruption of 2020. Lots of unexpected busts and unforeseen triumphs. Stanford's entire training group is looking very off. Virginia's group is in tip-top shape. Indiana's group is very mixed. I expected Claire Curzan to have a huge breakout, she made the team but has not been swimming very well for her. Regan Smith looks well off her best and swam way too much butterfly. Gretchen Walsh, who is an amazing talent, had an awful meet. There are unexpectedly slooow times in many events, most notably both the M and W 200 free. I'd like to know how many of these swimmers actually tapered. I'll bet mainstays like Dressel, Ledecky, Kalisz and Murphy didn't taper much if at all. I'll bet others like Zach Apple and Tom Shields are fully tapered. I'm not sure if MA ever "tapers". Who would have picked Hunter Armstrong? How about Katie Grimes? Rhyan White? Bryce Mefford? Emma Weyant?

The other question: did the Aussies fully taper for their Trials? What will they look like in Tokyo?

It's gonna be a weird Olympics. 2024 should be equally interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tonight‘s session is now live on CNBC due to golf running long. 👎🏼

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well mens 50 went exactly as I had thought, not even close. It just isn't in Adrian anymore to swim as fast as those guys, but good for the US. Simone finally had a decent swim, so now the relay coaches heads will be spinning all over the place. I would imagine there will be some trial swims just before the games to see who pitches up on all those women and mixed relays. Somehow you have to see if Simone is still 52 100 swimmer, because now her one and only event is last. I'm thinking she maybe gets a prelim swim on the 4x100W, but the mixed relays, how do you leave off the top 2 ladies in the 100? I suppose a good problem to have for sure, just how to go about sussing it out..

Really great swim by Fink, now a medal contender. I was really worried about this event for us, but he split this perfect, 10 seconds under the first half, then 4 more the 2nd. At that speed he will certainly have the opportunity to have a draft in the finals, which could pull him close to the American record, and a medal...
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PowerPlay wrote:
Farris swam well in long course in 2019. Don’t know what happened, but some of these “older” swimmers seemed hurt more by the 1 year delay. Not sure Farris will hang around for another 3 years, as the pro swimming life seems pretty boring/marginal if your not clearly top 10 in world and on an improvement trajectory.

Ya, I saw in his Swimswam bio where he went 1:46.45 in 2019, which would have tied him for 5th with Zach Apple in the final. The real question IMO is why did he not swim the 200 at the Trials??? Just kind of boggles my mind. Also, he's only 22-ish so not really "old" per se in the current swimming world.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

McIntosh making the FINA cut back in May in the 400. 1:56.19 in the 200 yesterday to officially make the team. She turns 15 Aug 18th.

Her mom Jill Horstead made the 84 team at 17, 9th in 200 Fly

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: Jun 21, 21 5:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always thought he seemed like a flighty dude - one of the types who does best when not pushed too hard. Bounces back and forth between Harvard and Texas. I'd be shocked if he continues. Maybe ISL this fall, but beyond that i have a hard time seeing him continue on. Pure speculation on my part of course.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't call him flighty.
He took a year off from Harvard to train with Texas pro swimmers to get ready for trials and then Covid hits and pushes everything back a year. Then he returns to school, and Ivy League cancels all athletics for 20-21.

Seeing him in practice, he looked very fast.

I swim fast because I'm afraid of sharks.
Quote Reply
Re: US Olympic Swimming Trials [Mike200fly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike200fly wrote:
I wouldn't call him flighty.
He took a year off from Harvard to train with Texas pro swimmers to get ready for trials and then Covid hits and pushes everything back a year. Then he returns to school, and Ivy League cancels all athletics for 20-21. Seeing him in practice, he looked very fast.

So, he's got one more year of NCAA eligibility, right??? Then he could do 2 yrs of pro swimming and shoot for the '24 Trials. At least that's what I would do.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched the men’s 1500 last night and Finke was impressive. The rest of the field, not so much. I looked at results and saw it took a 15:26 to get in top 8. Went back and looked at 1976 trials and saw it took a 15:37 to be top 8. What’s happened to American distance swimming?

On a related note, also watched men’s 10,000 meters on the track and saw the top guy run 27:53 and a few others dip under 28:00. Went back and looked at 1976 trials and saw Frank Shorter ran a 27:55 I know it’s a now a more tactical race on the track, but thought there’d be more improvement over 45 years.

OK, end of the old man rant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes he has one year of eligibility left

I swim fast because I'm afraid of sharks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next