Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
17 yr old Son in ICU - Myocarditis
Quote | Reply
My son awoke this morning complaining of a very sharp pain in his chest. Something he knew was different from heartburn or indigestion. My wife drove him to the ER. They confirmed both a heart attack and myocarditis. Since that is a smaller rural hospital, they put him in an ambulance and transferred him to a larger hospital with a cardiologist and ICU.

tests so far are have promising news, but there is still concern and he will be staying a few days.

His second Pzizer shot was three days ago. He did not respond well after that had a fever, sluggish, and complained of pain in his arm and chest the morning following the shot. It's rather hard to not connect that with this morning - especially with the news just out from Israel.

He's an otherwise healthy 17 year old - was looking forward to getting back to school and starting Track practice on Monday.

Posting this as I know there are medical folks on this forum and I have learned much from you over the year. thought you would want to hear of this.

I would like to ask that this thread does not turn into a rant about anti-vax. Other threads already contain your views.

As I learn more - I'll post.
Quote Reply
Re: 17 yr old Son in ICU - Myocarditis [sweathog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best of luck with your son. (not qualified to give any other opinion).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same as trail, I can’t give an opinion, just hope your son and family get through this. Best of luck.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow - scared me reading this. Happy to hear a positive prognosis and please keep us all posted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m so sorry! I’m glad he’s getting medical care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just joining in on the glad for some good news posts.

Please keep us posted on his recovery

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes hope he is ok. I’m not a medical person but just wanted to say best wishes to your family.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you caught it- also have no medical knowledge but will send lots of healing vibes his way!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear your son is 1 in a million.

I probably had myocarditis more than once my life....When I had bad left upper chest pain radiating down my arm and I went to my PCP, he sent me home with some aspirin and told me not to stress too much after a cursory exam and an EKG at the office didn't turn up anything.

So far it hasn't killed me, but there is certainly enough scarring on and in my heart if one would look. Both physically and emotionally.

Glad you got good healthcare.

That COVID thing may be a blessing in disguise in that more cases of myocarditis are recognized and are taking seriously.
Last edited by: nevertoolate: May 1, 21 17:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Causality or not, I'm glad he's getting good care and hope he gets better. I have 16, 17 and 18 yr olds, I can only imagine how you feel...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 17 y.o. daughter got the Pfizer too, even through I’m a Moderna man, so I think it’s just luck of the draw as to what brand you get...at least here anyway. I did have the opportunity (and passed) to get the Johnson on a walk in when they were trying to get rid of the supply. She is scheduled for shot two of Pfizer next week, so I’ll let her know about this and see what she wants to do. Thanks for sharing, and I hope he gets well soon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at it another way - this could have saved his live, by identifying an underlying problem.

best of luck for him, and your family, keep us posted if comfortable

will be with a pediatric nurse practioner with Mass Gen, will ask her about your situation with the shot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sent you a PM.

For the sake of discussion, would caution jumping to too many conclusions withtout all details. I have seen a few very sick folks in past couple of weeks, that unfortunately contracted COVID at same time as their shot, leading to hyperimmune reponse and hospitalization. I also wonder about folks that have severe post vaccine symptoms and whether or not they may have had previous COVID without knowing. I know this his second shot, so less likely the case.

I would suspect this gets reported to the VAERS. We report every potential event we see in the hopes of being able to build a robust database. Would also say that in all cirumstances, the risk of an immune reponse to any vaccine exists. The numbers related to COVID vaccines remain exceedingly low, but not zero.

Very sorry this happened to your family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll pray for your son. I am glad he reacted when the pain felt different and you put yourself in good hands under doctors care.

I’ll be looking for your updates and thinking about you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll echo the same sentiment at those above. Best wishes for your son's immediate and full recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viruses do cause myocarditis in young people. The prognosis can vary quite a bit from a mild injury that recovers quickly and quite fully to very serious outcome. We have always had various viruses causing myocarditis. I don't know much really about covid associated myocarditis. The heart attack from myocarditis hard to know what exactly that means. The injury caused by the virus is perceived as a "heart attack" but it isn't usually the typical blocked off small artery to heart muscle situation.

Unfortunately it is a very random thing that happens to otherwise perfectly healthy young people. I hope you son is one of the milder cases and recovers quickly.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry you and your family are going through this.

Hope your son makes a full and swift recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you for posting this, the experience is wrenching.

best wishes to your son and your family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not much to update as of this morning. which - is a very good thing.

About an hour after typing this out my wife returned home after a pretty hard day. we needed to spend some time together.

Agree with the posts that it is a great thing she acted quickly. One of the many great things about her is that she completed her first portion of her medical studies. She decided to not pursue after having our children and chose to be a mom. (She's German, so technically that means she passed the 'Physikum and was ready to continue with her Klinik.) We are very lucky to have her knowledge and background in addition to being a great mom and wife. In this case, she knew enough to just get to the ER with no further questions.

Speaking of the ER, there is much to be thankful there as well. When they first arrived, the ER also just thought it was indigestion and even joked that if it was a heart condition they'd all get famous. But, instead of treating and releasing, they treated and monitored and when his pain grew instead of diminished, they started more blood work and EKG and then noticed the irregularities in heart rhythm. - the heart attack as they called it - and as some say, 'shit got real.' They know they are not equipped for this and immediately reached out through their network and shared results - today's technology is so darn impressive. Apparently, due to the wait time for an available ambulance, he was about 10 minutes away from a helicopter ride to his current care.

Also agree to not jump too quick to the cause. I could have chosen a more LR worthy thread title to sensationalize - and I even 'buried the lead' into a mid-sentence third paragraph. The hospital he is in now are taking cultures and trying to see if he has active COVID or something else. They'll be able to rule those out over the coming days. But, not sure the like hood of a positive test or other virus, we've been following our at home protocols for a long time now -- He is not in school, not with friends, and pretty much just out of the house for his second shot.

We'll wait and see on this - and yes, I suppose that at the same time all the required reporting is happening and this may get looked into further if other items are ruled out.

Personally for me, not all that concerned with what 'caused' it. I'm more concerned with 'what now' . It does seem as if this is a rather mild and recoverable instance - at least that is the initial feedback from the cardiologist who has dealt with this condition before. Was this his reaction to the vaccine? If so, what would his reaction have been to the actual virus? Was this an underlying condition that was exposed because of the immune response to the vaccine? then again, that's 'good news' we found out this way and time. As, mostly, retired triathletes we are well aware from threads on that other forum of possible outcomes of this condition in otherwise normal fit people.

He does know that track season is over before it began. tough news on top of last track season and cross country being cancelled. But, I think we are all more concerned with long term outcomes and abilities to lead an active lifestyle.

As I learn more, I'll try to keep you informed - I may have my wife actually provide some of the medical stuff so that it does not first get washed through my misunderstanding before typing.

Scary for sure - my comment to him was that I was supposed to have the heart attack first and he needed to worry about me. But, now we can give each other pointers to get through this the next time around if needed.

Thank you all for the well wishes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear that he’s ok.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Soo scary! All the best to your boy for a full recovery!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A quick but rather substantial update.

Son is still in ICU. He is stable but not progressing. He is still in a great deal of pain and heart is still not functioning as it should.

Cardiologist is concerned, but positive he will get a grip on this. He also has ruled out other possible causes and has decided he is dealing with his first known case of myocarditis brought on by the second vaccine shot. So, although millions of doses without much of a negative response, for us, there was an unfortunate negative immediate outcome. All three of us, however, when faced with the what we now know would still have had him vaccinated.

My son was also told that life guarding this summer is off the table. The job is too intensive both mentally and physically. So, now summer employment is in question. We half-joked that he should start a go-fund-me page.

As already stated in the thread, just let this be a reminder that any chest pain should be treated seriously and get to the ER as quickly as possible.

ETA, specifically, this is believed to be his immune response to the vaccine, not necessarily the vaccine itself. That's likely a very important distinction and this seems inline with our experiences with his immune response in the past from either virus, bacteria, or other vaccinations.
Last edited by: sweathog: May 2, 21 14:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who works for the Montana lottery. Every week she calls people, and they are always surprised. She says that from her perspective there’s no reason for any surprise at all. It’s a lottery and someone is going to win.

I suppose the reverse is true for risks of bad medical outcomes. We were told in law school that medical malpractice relates more to regular bad outcomes than actual malpractice. Bad luck.

Start the gofundme for his lost summer employment. I’d be happy to chip in. Maybe your son will feel better knowing that we acknowledge his suffering, we appreciate him getting vaccinated, and we want to lift him up. The bad luck can stop.
Quote Reply
Re: 17 yr old Son in ICU - Myocarditis [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:

Start the gofundme for his lost summer employment. I’d be happy to chip in. Maybe your son will feel better knowing that we acknowledge his suffering, we appreciate him getting vaccinated, and we want to lift him up. The bad luck can stop.

Well said. I think the gofundme idea is great. The OP shared a very personal and important experience and I appreciate that. I also appreciate the son's initiative to get vaccinated and feel awful for his horrible luck.

Please let us know if the gofundme account happens and best wishes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next