Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you challenge it in court? Do mounties have body cams?

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was trying to pin me with "excessive speeding" which is, I think, an immediate road side suspension of your license, impounding of your car for 24 hrs and hefty fine.

He eventually came down to "just giving me a regular speeding ticket" which I accepted as, I was speeding a bit. He worded it like "I really should drop the hammer on you and give you this... But because I'm a nice guy I'll give you the lighter fine".

He claimed he had me on radar doing 25 over... But he was driving at the time. I don't know of any radar that works that way...

I don't think he was wearing a body cam. Not sure if RCMP wear them.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neil Peart's "Ghost Rider" starts out with a similar circumstance. He'd recently lost both his daughter; and then his wife---so he just wanted to ride. But Dudley Do Right (RCMP) was right there with his radar detector.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
sphere wrote:
Triocd wrote:
Wow, that is a shocking video.

Edit to add I’m still bothered that they started the interaction with guns pulled. I wouldn’t get out either and I’m white

I’m not defending the officers here, but black or white, if I see an officer needlessly escalating a situation, with or without another officer present, I’m doing *exactly* what he or she says, immediately, with hands up, yes sir/yes ma’am, and showing every physical and verbal sign I can muster of full compliance.

Think about this rationally. How does staying in your vehicle make you any safer? It’s as far a decision from good sense as one could muster. At best you’re getting physically dragged from the vehicle. It can only get worse from there.

Guns drawn isn’t the time to make your case about what a good upstanding citizen you are and what you do or don’t deserve. The fact that this continues to happen just baffles me.

I had a weird police interaction over the winter. I was driving on a long, straight highway, and was slightly speeding. 10kph over the limit in cruise control. When I was pulled over the office talked to me with the same tone and aggression as the officer of the bodycam footage. Came up to my window barking "I caught you doing 25 over the limit, hand me your license immediately". It totally took me off guard. I paused as I just didn't know how to respond and said "I wasn't going nearly that fast but let me grab my license" and he immediately upped up the aggression. Within 15 seconds of him approaching my window we were shouting at each other. He was shouting at me for my license, I was shouting over him that I was getting my license. It was chaotic and in that stressful moment I felt like I didn't know how to react, I was giving pause which probably looked to him like hesitation or suspicion, I don't know. I finally put my hands up defensively and said "Sir, sir, I'm handing you my license now. Please just give me my ticket and I will challenge it in court, not here on the side of the road. I know I wasn't doing what you said I was doing".

Luckily that diffused the situation but the situation and how quickly it got out of hand really shocked me. At the conclusion of the stop the officer said "You know, when an officer asks you to do something, you should do it immediately and we could have avoided this situation". What he didn't realize is that, right off the bat he accused me of doing something I wasn't doing and then shouted an order at me. It caused me to question what he said, which caused him to escalate further.

He went on to say that he treated me aggressively because he didn't know if I was dangerous, if I had outstanding warrants, if I was going to run or something. I thought how is that possible. You scan my plates before approaching the car, so you know I have no warrants or criminal record or even outstanding parking tickets. You see a baby seat in the back of the car. You see I'm alone. I turned my vehicle off so I'm clearly not going to try to speed away. This guy was just looking to be a bully.

The way some of these cops behave is shameful.

I wonder if aggression is not taught to the officers. I have seen policemen if they are challenged, will get in you face over minor stuff. For instance an officer who was a parent on my daughter's soccer team, and was watching from the wrong side of the field where the rules were clearly said parents have to be on opposite of the field. The other teams coach told him he needed to be on the other side and he was in his face in an instant. I suspect aggression works for most people. They comply quicker. With all the talk about de-escalation, i googled the topic and it seams it is unclear it works. Outcomes may be worse or better, but it is not clear de-escalation is always the best choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I wonder if aggression is not taught to the officers.

I can't speak specifically to police training, but for sure, when doing training in the military for security or law enforcement type duties, the training I went through could have been viewed as focused more towards aggression than the other way. Most of my training was conducted by Coast Guard, who has a primarily law enforcement role, and we were certainly taught to speak loudly and forcefully, giving commands, demanding the focus and attention of the person we're talking to. We weren't asking you to get down on the ground, or to put your hands behind your head, we were demanding immediate compliance with our instructions. The reasons were varied, but basically, if we're in that position, it's because something bad could be happening, and quite frankly, we're ok with hurting your feelings if it either prevents you from hurting someone or yourself, or prevents us from having to hurt you. We needed to get control of the situation as quickly as possible, and soft spoken polite request for compliance just don't do the trick.

That's not to say that yelling at someone is always the right answer, or that it never goes wrong, or that a soft spoken approach is never the right answer. But to answer your question, I feel like it's very likely (if their training is anything like what I've seen) that police are trained to be aggressive in gaining control of the situation as rapidly as possible, and then allowing for deescalation once things are firmly controlled by the officers.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It definitely wasn’t taught to me in the academy. Cadets are taught to control the situation and the best way to do that is to have command presence (professional, calm, confident, etc.).

It sounds like BC may have just encountered a dickhead having a bad day.
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
lf this driver was in fear for his life, and I believe he was, don't think for a second that media narrative didn't play into and exacerbate his fear. I've been harping on this since forever, and this is *exactly* why. If he wasn't acting on irrational fear, he would have complied and we wouldn't have known the traffic stop ever happened.

Wow, this is a an interesting take, but not in a good way.

Do you ever talk to black men who live or have lived in US urban areas? I haven't done a scientific study, and its not a big sample, but EVERY SINGLE law abiding black male that l have spoken to about this topic can share multiple cases of blatant harrassment and/or outright unjustified violence to them from police. You should do a poll of African Americans that you know or work with.

What I'm trying to say here, is this is not a "media narrative", it is the actual experience of many many many many black males in America.

Also, while the Army LT was perhaps acting irrationally, he WAS responding to a fully logical and very, very rational fear: being shot in the head by an out of control cop. That fear was clearly based on reality, as there were two loaded guns aimed at the LT's brain ... and unfortunately, it is just a fact of life, not every civilian will be cool as cucumber when staring down the barrel of gun held by a screaming idiot.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Apr 11, 21 11:07
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [Brandon_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do Canadian cops apologize as they beat you?
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha, “sooorry”
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
meanwhile, what does fixin to ride the lightning mean?

taser? or worse
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
meanwhile, what does fixin to ride the lightning mean?

taser? or worse

Originally, it referred to the electric chair. Now, yeah, in this situation it means you’re going to get tasered.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taser. Once the trigger is pulled, the recipient will “ride the lightning” for a full five seconds.

It’s very unpleasant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
sphere wrote:
Triocd wrote:
Wow, that is a shocking video.

Edit to add I’m still bothered that they started the interaction with guns pulled. I wouldn’t get out either and I’m white

I’m not defending the officers here, but black or white, if I see an officer needlessly escalating a situation, with or without another officer present, I’m doing *exactly* what he or she says, immediately, with hands up, yes sir/yes ma’am, and showing every physical and verbal sign I can muster of full compliance.

Think about this rationally. How does staying in your vehicle make you any safer? It’s as far a decision from good sense as one could muster. At best you’re getting physically dragged from the vehicle. It can only get worse from there.

Guns drawn isn’t the time to make your case about what a good upstanding citizen you are and what you do or don’t deserve. The fact that this continues to happen just baffles me.

I had a weird police interaction over the winter. I was driving on a long, straight highway, and was slightly speeding. 10kph over the limit in cruise control. When I was pulled over the office talked to me with the same tone and aggression as the officer of the bodycam footage. Came up to my window barking "I caught you doing 25 over the limit, hand me your license immediately". It totally took me off guard. I paused as I just didn't know how to respond and said "I wasn't going nearly that fast but let me grab my license" and he immediately upped up the aggression. Within 15 seconds of him approaching my window we were shouting at each other. He was shouting at me for my license, I was shouting over him that I was getting my license. It was chaotic and in that stressful moment I felt like I didn't know how to react, I was giving pause which probably looked to him like hesitation or suspicion, I don't know. I finally put my hands up defensively and said "Sir, sir, I'm handing you my license now. Please just give me my ticket and I will challenge it in court, not here on the side of the road. I know I wasn't doing what you said I was doing".

Luckily that diffused the situation but the situation and how quickly it got out of hand really shocked me. At the conclusion of the stop the officer said "You know, when an officer asks you to do something, you should do it immediately and we could have avoided this situation". What he didn't realize is that, right off the bat he accused me of doing something I wasn't doing and then shouted an order at me. It caused me to question what he said, which caused him to escalate further.

He went on to say that he treated me aggressively because he didn't know if I was dangerous, if I had outstanding warrants, if I was going to run or something. I thought how is that possible. You scan my plates before approaching the car, so you know I have no warrants or criminal record or even outstanding parking tickets. You see a baby seat in the back of the car. You see I'm alone. I turned my vehicle off so I'm clearly not going to try to speed away. This guy was just looking to be a bully.

The way some of these cops behave is shameful.

Why would aggression by the cop improve the situation? I would think if anything it would make him more likely to get shot by someone who is on the edge. I don't get it.

I'd think the best strategy would always be to keep the situation calm.
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to last.

We can debate all day whether their actions were appropriate, whether he could have complied differently, his motivation to behave the way he did, and so on.

What we can't debate is the fact that the cops lied their asses off in the incident report.

My bet is that the department will be writing a check to that motorist and the cops will be disciplined.
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
Replying to last.

We can debate all day whether their actions were appropriate, whether he could have complied differently, his motivation to behave the way he did, and so on.

What we can't debate is the fact that the cops lied their asses off in the incident report.

My bet is that the department will be writing a check to that motorist and the cops will be disciplined.

If the driver just complied from the beginning then the cops wouldn’t have to had to lie in the police report /pink
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [Triocd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it interesting that every analysis done on instances of horrible policing, even those with tragic endings, always get sidetracked into what the victim should have done differently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
I find it interesting that every analysis done on instances of horrible policing, even those with tragic endings, always get sidetracked into what the victim should have done differently.

I think, as has been noted before, that’s because there’s not actually any disagreement in the forum about the actions of the cops. Sure, we could all stand around nodding our heads and agreeing that the cops acted wrongly, but that makes for boring discussion.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

I think, as has been noted before, that’s because there’s not actually any disagreement in the forum about the actions of the cops. Sure, we could all stand around nodding our heads and agreeing that the cops acted wrongly, but that makes for boring discussion.

Something can be 100% the fault of another person, yet it would still be wise to take steps to mitigate the harm or avoid the situation in the first place. Some people get riled up whenever the latter is talked about.
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
slowguy wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

Frankly, I find discussions about what LEOs can do to better the situation much more intriguing than we should do everything they tell us to do. That’s a boring discussion.
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

Why would aggression by the cop improve the situation? I would think if anything it would make him more likely to get shot by someone who is on the edge. I don't get it.

I'd think the best strategy would always be to keep the situation calm.

I think it is their way of getting control over the situation. They use force and aggression to dominate.

Most of the time, when a cop pulls me over for something (which has only happened 4-5 times in my 2 decades of driving), they are quite calm. License, sir. Do you know what I stopped you, sir. That sort of thing. This was the first time I've had someone come out guns blazing like that. It was really bizarre.

The problem with coming in hot like that, is it leaves you with no other option but escalation to get compliance. And because you're starting the confrontation out at a 6/10 intensity, your next step is some kind of physical response. You can't start out yelling, then back down or it gives control of the situation away from the cop. If the cop starts out calmly, they have a higher chance of cooperation, and they have more options at your disposal for dealing with the person.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
We need to find some way to change conditions so that we have more qualified officers so that we can get rid of the dumb bubbas.

I’d argue the continued employment of unstable and/or morally corrupt LEO’s is exactly what is causing the situation that makes the environment unappealing to the qualified. I do agree it isn’t a simple fix though.

I'd think that some form of discipline or discontinued employment will be in order for the two LEOs here.
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Although the victim looks calm and composed (almost passive aggressive) in that incident, others in the same situation could also be frozen in fear.
Not sure, but given the locale and situation I would likely have been the adult, complied and exited the vehicle.

I think the lieutenant was remarkably calm in a bad situation. Let's not forget that the young man is only 22-23 years old, so his life experiences are nowhere near what most of us on this board have. The tension is high and his adrenaline is pumping because two dudes are pointing guns at him and screaming contradictory orders. In his mind, he's thinking, "I've done nothing wrong, but I've seen this kind of stop before and it doesn't always end well". Based on what he says and does, the lieutenant believes he is not required to exit the vehicle for only a traffic stop, and that clearly contributes to how he reacts to the situation.

The fat boy cop, who obviously has a LOT more life experiences than either the lieutenant or his own partner, should have deescalated the situation the second he saw the license plate, the young man's hands out the window, or once he realized the driver was a military officer (which he did early on). While I normally give the police officers wide latitude, this situation is way out of line. That fat cop was clearly channeling some of his own personal issues on the victim, his attitude was unprofessional, and he was working hard to demean the lieutenant during the cop's little power trip. I hope the turd is shown a permanent desk job or another line of work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:

x1,000

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [Kentcart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
That fat cop was clearly channeling some of his own personal issues on the victim, his attitude was unprofessional, and he was working hard to demean the lieutenant during the cop's little power trip. I hope the turd is shown a permanent desk job or another line of work.

But the way US police depts work, he'll likely be given a promotion.

Because we don't have a "bad apple" problem in the usa, we have a "rotten to the core" problem with the way most police departments work, which encompasses most police officers. The police departments themselves CREATE and then reward and promote the bad apples, so they make more bad apples by the thousands. And other cops just look the other way. If you don't believe this, just listen to this short episode, and you will never look at the institution of US policing through the same eyes again. And fyi, this stuff (in episode) is still going on full speed ahead today:
https://www.thisamericanlife.org/...ain-silent/act-two-0

--
Quote Reply
Re: Fixin’ to ride the lightning [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
We need to find some way to change conditions so that we have more qualified officers so that we can get rid of the dumb bubbas.

I’d argue the continued employment of unstable and/or morally corrupt LEO’s is exactly what is causing the situation that makes the environment unappealing to the qualified. I do agree it isn’t a simple fix though.

I'd think that some form of discipline or discontinued employment will be in order for the two LEOs here.

You, sir, are dreaming ...

--
Quote Reply

Prev Next