Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that article and something that came to mind was that over the years people kept on saying “this is what led to trump.”

But from Boehner it seems like what led to trump was high level gop members driving wedge issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
has given up even any appearance of being 'fair and balanced'.

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”

― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Apr 2, 21 12:02
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
I saw that article and something that came to mind was that over the years people kept on saying “this is what led to trump.”

But from Boehner it seems like what led to trump was high level gop members driving wedge issues.

It was all started by one man: Newt Gingrich.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:
trois_pample wrote:
Yeah, but... At some point, it almost always seems to be the case that the type of people who end up working for these guys end up being the types of guys who'd work for people like that.

This is patently false. They're mercenaries. I know a ton of people who do this and they're not all ideologues (they're all Democrats though). Broad strokes they agree but it's a job and that's all it is. Sure they want their boss to win and/ or set them up for a promotion by moving to another Pol but at then end of the day it's all about the power, prominence and cheddar.

Its kind of the nature of the job. If you want to move up and get more important positions you need to move through the power structure. You don't really have the luxury of holding out for the lone saint among politicians.

Just like if you want to work in campaign politics. If I love Bernie with all my heart but he doesn't come calling I'm going to go with Klobuchar if she offers a job.

They frequently stay on one side of the aisle or the other but not always.
What he said
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
sosayusall wrote:

Agreed.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
j p o wrote:
windywave wrote:
trois_pample wrote:
Yeah, but... At some point, it almost always seems to be the case that the type of people who end up working for these guys end up being the types of guys who'd work for people like that.

This is patently false. They're mercenaries. I know a ton of people who do this and they're not all ideologues (they're all Democrats though). Broad strokes they agree but it's a job and that's all it is. Sure they want their boss to win and/ or set them up for a promotion by moving to another Pol but at then end of the day it's all about the power, prominence and cheddar.

Its kind of the nature of the job. If you want to move up and get more important positions you need to move through the power structure. You don't really have the luxury of holding out for the lone saint among politicians.

Just like if you want to work in campaign politics. If I love Bernie with all my heart but he doesn't come calling I'm going to go with Klobuchar if she offers a job.

They frequently stay on one side of the aisle or the other but not always.
What he said

That is pretty much my experience — as a career DC lawyer. Most people can’t be too picky if they want to succeed in that world. I know a solid person who spent many years working for a horror of a Congressman. That does not mean he agreed with the Congressman. There are limits, however, and Gaetz was a known clown even before the latest revelations.

What I observe is that people go into such a field thinking that they will be more righteous in their choices but, when the reality sinks in, they wind up picking career advancement over principle more than they’d originally expected.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
sosayusall wrote:

Agreed.

Eyeroll emoji
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
Receipts of payments made through CashApp and Apple Pay have been found. This guy is beyond smoked.

What was it that he said right after the story broke? "I have a suspicion that someone is trying to recategorize my generosity to ex-girlfriends as something more untoward."?

"Generosity to ex-girlfriends." Right, Matt. Right...

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mean... I understand what you're saying, but if you're the sort of person who's going to (knowingly) work to grow the influence of someone who's morally abhorrent, or work to advance policy that creates structures that are morally abhorrent, it's reasonable to think that you're going to be treated like you're morally abhorrent, because you've done a lot of harm to people. Maybe you can get a job carrying water at a right-wing think tank or something... but your judgement is so demonstrably flawed that it would be irresponsible to give you meaningful decisions to make that effect anyone else.

Ignoring abstractions and digging directly into the concretions: You have a guy who enabled and encouraged another prominent right-wing failson who (off the top of my head) stormed impeachment proceedings, trivialized behavior around Corona virus, unapologetically drove drunk, and now (if the allegations are true) was flashing nudes around of his underaged conquests and created dehumanizing games related to their exploitation... Where (specifically) do you want that guy working within YOUR organization? For that matter, where's a place that you can put him at your organization that wouldn't be an obvious demonstration of your irresponsibility?

There should be consequences for these enablers.
Last edited by: trois_pample: Apr 2, 21 15:09
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [trois_pample] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trois_pample wrote:
I mean... I understand what you're saying, but if you're the sort of person who's going to (knowingly) work to grow the influence of someone who's morally abhorrent, or work to advance policy that creates structures that are morally abhorrent, it's reasonable to think that you're going to be treated like you're morally abhorrent, because you've done a lot of harm to people. Maybe you can get a job carrying water at a right-wing think tank or something... but your judgement is so demonstrably flawed that it would be irresponsible to give you meaningful decisions to make that effect anyone else.

Ignoring abstractions and digging directly into the concretions: You have a guy who enabled and encouraged another prominent right-wing failson who (off the top of my head) stormed impeachment proceedings, trivialized behavior around Corona virus, unapologetically drove drunk, and now (if the allegations are true) was flashing nudes around of his underaged conquests and created dehumanizing games related to their exploitation... Where (specifically) do you want that guy working within YOUR organization? For that matter, where's a place that you can put him at your organization that wouldn't be an obvious demonstration of your irresponsibility?

There should be consequences for these enablers.

I agree in this case. Like I said, Gaetz was a known clown and working for him crosses a line for me. But, I am not a Republican. Would a basic Trump-endorsing Congressperson think this guy is too scummy to hire? If the answer is yes, it’s probably because of political appearances — they don’t want any association with Gaetz — and not because they think someone who would work for Gaetz is just inherently flawed. Just a guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Gaetz's arrest is said to be imminent after the alleged victim, who has not been named, testified before a Florida grand jury this week saying she had sex with the conservative Republican before she turned 18, http://DailyMail.com has learned. "

https://twitter.com/.../1378079240906760195
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
"Gaetz's arrest is said to be imminent after the alleged victim, who has not been named, testified before a Florida grand jury this week saying she had sex with the conservative Republican before she turned 18, http://DailyMail.com has learned. "

https://twitter.com/.../1378079240906760195

Maybe we head to Berlin and walk Cuomo and Gaetz across the Glienicker Bridge as a straight swap?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So when does this pedophile get arrested and perp walked?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
So when does this pedophile get arrested and perp walked?

Seems like he’s enough of a creepy douchebag without accusing him of something like that.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

Seems like he’s enough of a creepy douchebag without accusing him of something like that.

Yeah, it's important not to dilute that term, so when we use it on guys like this, it has a specific meaning.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
slowguy wrote:

Yeah, it's important not to dilute that term, so when we use it on guys like this, it has a specific meaning.

I read that earlier. Completely sickening and I'm sure there are a lot of concerned parents at his school.

The scary thing is that there must actually be means for people like him to find victims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
slowguy wrote:

And people wonder why I support the death penalty.

This fuxkstick deserves it too

https://wgntv.com/...insurance-money/amp/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Not a fan of Kennedy vs. Louisiana then?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
trail wrote:
slowguy wrote:

This fuxkstick deserves it too

https://wgntv.com/...insurance-money/amp/

To quote Will Muny, killer of women and children, “deserves got nothing to do with it.”
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
ryans wrote:
Ignorance is rarely a good defense...

Ignorance of the law is one thing. What Thisisit is describing is something else entirely.

I agree. I think if you made good faith efforts to find out how old some one is and a reasonable person would presume the person looks the part that should be taken into account. Lets say you ask for ID and you get given a fake one giving the age of say 19?

But 38 and 17? That doesn't fly. There are of course easy ways of avoiding all such situations.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Such a weiner.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
The must be the pedophile sex trafficking ring we’ve been hearing so much about.

I know right? Imagine if Q was right about everything, but missed one crucial detail, the pedophile cult is composed of Republicans and not Democrats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:

Not a fan of Kennedy vs. Louisiana then?

No
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
"The DOJ is reportedly investigating whether Rep. Matt Gaetz had a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old and violated sex trafficking laws"

https://www.businessinsider.com/...p-17-year-old-2021-3

The Republican stance that "life begins at conception" is starting to make more sense. This seems like it could be a legal defense for having sex with a 17 year old, because in God's eyes she's effectively 18.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:

To quote Will Muny, killer of women and children, “deserves got nothing to do with it.”

Also Snoop in The Wire.
Quote Reply

Prev Next