Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
He keeps good company.

Can they all use the same group shot for their prison ID's?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Jim Jordan is focused on the important scandal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
He keeps good company.

Stone would convert any bro brags at that table to political leverage later on. Wonder if he's involved in the middle east hostage deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [Ozymandias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ozymandias wrote:
But NOBODY is coming to his defense... His only defenders are Jordan and Greene....

In addition to his two (relatively prominent within the party) defenders... I don't think anyone in the party has condemned it yet either?
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
He keeps good company.

Stone would convert any bro brags at that table to political leverage later on. Wonder if he's involved in the middle east hostage deal.

Good points. I wouldn't put anything past Stone. Birds of a feather...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fox News hasn't mentioned Gaetz since Wednesday morning, but they are focused on the real scandal here:

Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the twitterverse

Luke Ball, the communications director for Rep. Matt Gaetz, has resigned, according to a person familiar. Ball quit out of principle, according to the person.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is he being cancelled!?!?!?

With it coming out how public he was about being an asshole, it is incredibly telling that he was elevated by the gop. (Not too different from menedez being chair in the senate).
Last edited by: sosayusall: Apr 2, 21 10:31
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
From the twitterverse

Luke Ball, the communications director for Rep. Matt Gaetz, has resigned, according to a person familiar. Ball quit out of principle, according to the person.

I actually feel bad for people like that, even if they are working for the Gaetz's of the world.I went to law school with the intent of working in politics, this kind of job. After getting involved in a couple elections while I was still in school I decided that was a bad idea. I always said that I didn't want my career to come crashing down because the guy I was working for got caught fucking the neighbor's cat.This might be even worse than that.

Gaetz is definitely a deserving douchebag and you can say the people working for him should have known. But this kind of stupid stuff doesn't always happen to the people you think it will. And now everyone has this as their last job on their resume.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but... At some point, it almost always seems to be the case that the type of people who end up working for these guys end up being the types of guys who'd work for people like that. It felt like we spent the first 3 years of the last presidency handing out "let's-wait-and-see" passes... but then, EASILY 80% of the time... The enablers ended up being exactly who they seemed like they'd have to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
tigermilk wrote:
From the twitterverse

I actually feel bad for people like that, even if they are working for the Gaetz's of the world.I went to law school with the intent of working in politics, this kind of job. After getting involved in a couple elections while I was still in school I decided that was a bad idea. I always said that I didn't want my career to come crashing down because the guy I was working for got caught fucking the neighbor's cat.This might be even worse than that.

Gaetz is definitely a deserving douchebag and you can say the people working for him should have known. But this kind of stupid stuff doesn't always happen to the people you think it will. And now everyone has this as their last job on their resume.

One of my best friends worked for Enron. She knew nothing of the shenanigans, but lost her job when it all blew up. In the end, she did ok. But, it sure isn’t the highlight of her resume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
tigermilk wrote:
From the twitterverse

My take on reading the articles, is that he was a well know douchebag and that most of this is not that shocking to insiders. Would think that most senior aides would have some knowledge that he's a shady character. if the CNN story is accurate about showing pics of naked women then would think he showed to aides as well. you go to work for something like that then it should be an albatross around their necks.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [trois_pample] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trois_pample wrote:
Yeah, but... At some point, it almost always seems to be the case that the type of people who end up working for these guys end up being the types of guys who'd work for people like that.

This is patently false. They're mercenaries. I know a ton of people who do this and they're not all ideologues (they're all Democrats though). Broad strokes they agree but it's a job and that's all it is. Sure they want their boss to win and/ or set them up for a promotion by moving to another Pol but at then end of the day it's all about the power, prominence and cheddar.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [steve25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steve25 wrote:
j p o wrote:
tigermilk wrote:
From the twitterverse

My take on reading the articles, is that he was a well know douchebag and that most of this is not that shocking to insiders. Would think that most senior aides would have some knowledge that he's a shady character. if the CNN story is accurate about showing pics of naked women then would think he showed to aides as well. you go to work for something like that then it should be an albatross around their necks.

Well you're a judgemental [redacted]
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so enabling a douchebag is a legitimate way to get ahead? How about if your name is Hillary?
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
so enabling a douchebag is a legitimate way to get ahead? How about if your name is Hillary?

It's a job. I know people who worked close enough to Hillary they could get her on the phone right now. I'd drink beer with them any day of the week. It's a job there's no need to demonize them. Gaetz is going to the pokey and they're soon out of a job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

It's a job. I know people who worked close enough to Hillary they could get her on the phone right now. I'd drink beer with them any day of the week. It's a job there's no need to demonize them. Gaetz is going to the pokey and they're soon out of a job.

Meh, you make it sound like very few people have any agency over ethics. That's sort of an apologist take. Maybe for lower level staff. But I don't buy it for people who could, for example, get Gaetz on the phone, and he'd pick up. Those are his peers. Or Hillary's peers.

Evil exists when good people do nothing, or however that saying goes.

Maybe not demonize, but if I was a subsequent employer I'd sure ask a lot of questions.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 2, 21 11:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
kiki wrote:

It’s a job, but there are lots of jobs in politics. You don’t have to choose to work for a womanizing douchebag who’s more interested in the camera than in his duties as a Congressman. Plenty of other people found other Congressmen or politicians to work for.

Like it or not, people judge you by who you choose to associate with and who you choose to work for, especially when the job you take is all about increasing the influence of that person.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's fair

if I get down off my high horse long enough, and had a kid who was a policy wonk, a job -- any job -- would be a foot in the door.

BUT if the job was with a bottom feeder I'd advise to grind it out elsewhere until a better opportunity comes along. The cynicism you develop working for people like that seems like it would be corrosive in the long run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
trois_pample wrote:
Yeah, but... At some point, it almost always seems to be the case that the type of people who end up working for these guys end up being the types of guys who'd work for people like that.

This is patently false. They're mercenaries. I know a ton of people who do this and they're not all ideologues (they're all Democrats though). Broad strokes they agree but it's a job and that's all it is. Sure they want their boss to win and/ or set them up for a promotion by moving to another Pol but at then end of the day it's all about the power, prominence and cheddar.

Its kind of the nature of the job. If you want to move up and get more important positions you need to move through the power structure. You don't really have the luxury of holding out for the lone saint among politicians.

Just like if you want to work in campaign politics. If I love Bernie with all my heart but he doesn't come calling I'm going to go with Klobuchar if she offers a job.

They frequently stay on one side of the aisle or the other but not always.

Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:

Meh, you make it sound like very few people have any agency over ethics. That's sort of an apologist take. Maybe for lower level staff. But I don't buy it for people who could, for example, get Gaetz on the phone, and he'd pick up. Those are his peers. Or Hillary's peers.

Evil exists when good people do nothing, or however that saying goes.

Maybe not demonize, but if I was a subsequent employer I'd sure ask a lot of questions.

If they knew and/or facilitated him banging underage hookers light'em up but if they didn't no need for extraneous collateral damage
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
kiki wrote:

It’s a job, but there are lots of jobs in politics. You don’t have to choose to work for a womanizing douchebag

Like Clinton Trump Kennedy Johnson FDR Jefferson ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:
kiki wrote:

It’s a job, but there are lots of jobs in politics. You don’t have to choose to work for a womanizing douchebag

Like Clinton Trump Kennedy Johnson FDR Jefferson ?

Sure.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“These guys wanted 100% every time. In fact, I don’t think that would satisfy them, because they didn’t really want legislative victories. They wanted wedge issues and conspiracies and crusades. A lot of them wanted to blow up Washington. That’s why they thought they were elected.”

Former GOP House Speaker Boehner.

Boehner is talking about people like Gaetz and Jim Jordan and Donald Trump. It’s an honest but sad indictment of that wing of the GOP and any staffers working for someone like that is well aware of who they’re working for. Maybe not child sex trafficking, but major POS.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today on Fox News website:

Front Page: Number of articles about Hunter Biden and Cuomo: 4
Number of articles about Matt Gaetz: 0

Politics Page: Number of articles about Hunter Biden and/or Cuomo: 5
Number of articles about Matt Gaetz: 0

Fox has given up even any appearance of being 'fair and balanced'.
Quote Reply

Prev Next