Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Dude looks like a sleezy frat boy that hits on everyone's girlfriend when their back is turned.

What's that German word, translating to "Face in need of a Fist"? I always think of Gaetz as the illustration like his mug was invented just to accompany that term.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
Thom wrote:
The must be the pedophile sex trafficking ring we’ve been hearing so much about.

There is an effort to get the hashtag #PizzaGaetz trending on Twitter.

What a time to be alive.

It just Gaetz worse for the GOP every day...

(OK, I stole that off twitter)
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:
Calling a 17 year old a woman or man isn't that odd to me. They're on the cusp of adulthood.

There is nothing normal about the phrase "seventeen year old woman."

"Young lady," sure. Maybe "young woman." But not in the context of discussing inappropriate conduct with a minor. It's just...off.

Another gem I'm stealing from twitter:

"Biden has a minor Major problem, while Gaetz has a major minor problem."

Priceless!
Last edited by: OneGoodLeg: Mar 31, 21 8:55
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
backpfeifengesicht battle of the titans.

Who wins?

Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
ryans wrote:
Every law enforcement agency in the US would disagree with you. Lack of knowledge of her age is not something that would matter to them charging and finding you guilty.

That just seems crazy.

How could a person know? Their ID even says they are 21+.

I would think it matter for findings of guilt at least, which is done by courts (including juries) not law enforcement agencies.

When I was younger, 21 living in Florida, me and my buddy were at a picnic and there were a couple of girls flirting with us. We asked my friends SIL what their names were and if she knew anything about them. She told us their names and said, "oh, the one on the left is 14 and the one on the right is 15." They looked a lot older than 14 & 15. We left the picnic.

My daughter is 15. Sometimes, she goes to the college gym with me where I work out. I don't think she looks any younger than what I presume are the mostly 18-22 year old girls working out there. She's been mistaken for a college age girl more than once, and it's not like she even has a particularly womanly figure.

The law simply doesn't care. If "I thought she was 18" was a valid defense then age of consent laws could hardly ever be prosecuted. If they are under 18 you are guilty, and I'm not sure how many juries will really be all that sympathetic to someone in their mid to late 30's making that claim. 21 or 22 years old, maybe. 38? Please.

Yeah I get that. My comments prior were specific to someone under 18 hooking up with someone older who they met in a bar, and even having an ID that shows they are 21+.

I find it hard to believe that any jury in those circumstances would convict someone of statutory rape. I know I wouldn't. There's the law and then there's justice.

I'm trying to remember who it was, and it seems like it was a MLB player but not sure ( I found the story and it looks like it was Felipe Vasquez ). He, hooked up with a 13 year old and used the "I thought she was 16" defense. Oof.

Yeah that would be hard one to pull off.

I know we have some lawyers around here. If a person is duped into breaking the law would that really be prosecuted let alone get a conviction?

As for the conviction: you can only introduce evidence in your defense that is relevant to your case. Someone under the age of 18 is legally incapable of consenting to sex. Hence, your (mistaken) state of mind does not give you a defense of consent.

I can see a judge considering such evidence when it comes to sentencing. And, I can see a jury looking at the victim and crediting the defendant with a defense that she looks 18+. But, technically speaking, it’s not a defense to guilt, as far as I know.

ETA: some states’s laws are different. But, FL is like what I described above. Statutory rape in FL is strict liability and ignorance of the victim’s age appears to not be a defense.
Last edited by: ike: Mar 31, 21 9:10
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
This is from an interview, with Tucker Carlson I believe.

"It is a horrible allegation and it is a lie," Gaetz said. "The New York Times is running a story that I have traveled with a 17-year-old woman and that is verifiably false. People can look at my travel records and see that that is not the case."

If you read between the lines, it seems odd that he would call a 17 year old girl a "woman". Do 38 year old guys call a 17 year old a girl, or a woman?

That doesn't seem that odd to me.

Banging a 17 year old when you're in your mid thirties on the other hand....someone should drug test him, he has that frat boy coke head look

Maybe he shares a few lines with Don Jr. when he is in town?

How much coke did Don Jr. snort?

Trieatalot

It's a C minus world.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
ryans wrote:
Every law enforcement agency in the US would disagree with you. Lack of knowledge of her age is not something that would matter to them charging and finding you guilty.

That just seems crazy.

I would think it matter for findings of guilt at least, which is done by courts (including juries) not law enforcement agencies.

When I was younger, 21 living in Florida, me and my buddy were at a picnic and there were a couple of girls flirting with us. We asked my friends SIL what their names were and if she knew anything about them. She told us their names and said, "oh, the one on the left is 14 and the one on the right is 15." They looked a lot older than 14 & 15. We left the picnic.

My daughter is 15. Sometimes, she goes to the college gym with me where I work out. I don't think she looks any younger than what I presume are the mostly 18-22 year old girls working out there. She's been mistaken for a college age girl more than once, and it's not like she even has a particularly womanly figure.

The law simply doesn't care. If "I thought she was 18" was a valid defense then age of consent laws could hardly ever be prosecuted. If they are under 18 you are guilty, and I'm not sure how many juries will really be all that sympathetic to someone in their mid to late 30's making that claim. 21 or 22 years old, maybe. 38? Please.

Yeah I get that. My comments prior were specific to someone under 18 hooking up with someone older who they met in a bar, and even having an ID that shows they are 21+.

I find it hard to believe that any jury in those circumstances would convict someone of statutory rape. I know I wouldn't. There's the law and then there's justice.

I'm trying to remember who it was, and it seems like it was a MLB player but not sure ( I found the story and it looks like it was Felipe Vasquez ). He, hooked up with a 13 year old and used the "I thought she was 16" defense. Oof.

I know we have some lawyers around here. If a person is duped into breaking the law would that really be prosecuted let alone get a conviction?

As for the conviction: you can only introduce evidence in your defense that is relevant to your case. Someone under the age of 18 is legally incapable of consenting to sex. Hence, your (mistaken) state of mind does not give you a defense of consent.

I can see a judge considering such evidence when it comes to sentencing. And, I can see a jury looking at the victim and crediting the defendant with a defense that she looks 18+. But, technically speaking, it’s not a defense to guilt, as far as I know.

ETA: some states’s laws are different. But, FL is like what I described above. Statutory rape in FL is strict liability and ignorance of the victim’s age appears to not be a defense.

There was a local case somewhat recently (not mine) where the judge granted a sentencing departure motion because he determined that the underage girls involved were the aggressors in that they were actively soliciting the 67 year old defendant.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
Ignorance is rarely a good defense...

Ignorance of the law is one thing. What Thisisit is describing is something else entirely.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
ike wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
ryans wrote:

That just seems crazy.

There was a local case somewhat recently (not mine) where the judge granted a sentencing departure motion because he determined that the underage girls involved were the aggressors in that they were actively soliciting the 67 year old defendant.

The classic case in the field (involving a 76 year old in FL) is Lason v. State, 12 So.2d 305 (1943). Its language is incredibly weird and harsh.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Another gem I'm stealing from twitter:

"Biden has a minor Major problem, while Gaetz has a major minor problem."

Priceless!

Wow, that is damn good, it's almost a palindrome !

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:

Who wins?

Can’t decide - just need to punch them both.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:

Who wins?

We all lose.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
j p o wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
ryans wrote:

That just seems crazy.

I'm not suggesting "she looks 18" is the defense, I'm suggesting "she was in a place and engaging in behavior that only 21+ year olds can legally engage in" is the defense.

I suppose we could even take it further. What if she showed the other person proof that she was 21+ with her ID?
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know what, go ahead and just believe you can simply assume that a female drinking an alcoholic beverage in a public establishment is more than enough for you to know she is 21. Try that with the judge too when it turns out she was 17. Report back with your results.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is describing ignorance that sex with a minor is a statutory offense and consent of the minor or other factors really do not come into play for a defense. So, ignorant of the law...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
You know what, go ahead and just believe you can simply assume that a female drinking an alcoholic beverage in a public establishment is more than enough for you to know she is 21. Try that with the judge too when it turns out she was 17. Report back with your results.

Come on man, you know what he is saying and why he's saying it. There has to be some responsibility on the part of the minor at this point. A person can't read someone's mind and know their age. He's not saying it's right, he's not saying anything about Gaetz one way or the other, he's making a point that there should be some responsibility if a person has done all of their due diligence.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
He is describing ignorance that sex with a minor is a statutory offense and consent of the minor or other factors really do not come into play for a defense. So, ignorant of the law...

Ignorance of the law usually means you're unaware of what the law is (i.e. in this case, that it's illegal to have sex with someone under 18), not that you're mistaken about some facts related to breaking the law.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:

Why in the world would I do that?

We're just having a discussion, there's no need to get in a huff.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
ryans wrote:

Come on man, you know what he is saying and why he's saying it. There has to be some responsibility on the part of the minor at this point. A person can't read someone's mind and know their age. He's not saying it's right, he's not saying anything about Gaetz one way or the other, he's making a point that there should be some responsibility if a person has done all of their due diligence.

There really isn't. Have sex with someone who is a minor, get charged, go to jail. All of the burden is on the adult. Hazards of chasing after people on the cusp of adulthood.

Some states have distinctions based on how much older someone is. So if you are less than 5 years older for instance it is a lower offense than if you are Matt Gaetz's age. Of course the vast majority of cases are never prosecuted because the underage person actually wanted it to happen and no one knows or doesn't care. It is when you piss off the parents, or in this case the FBI when they are investigating one of your close allies, that you get sent to the pokey.

Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
ryans wrote:

There really isn't. Have sex with someone who is a minor, get charged, go to jail. All of the burden is on the adult. Hazards of chasing after people on the cusp of adulthood.

Some states have distinctions based on how much older someone is. So if you are less than 5 years older for instance it is a lower offense than if you are Matt Gaetz's age. Of course the vast majority of cases are never prosecuted because the underage person actually wanted it to happen and no one knows or doesn't care. It is when you piss off the parents, or in this case the FBI when they are investigating one of your close allies, that you get sent to the pokey.

I suspect the pun wasn't intended but I laughed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
ryans wrote:

You know what they say, "Buyer Beware."

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
j p o wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
ryans wrote:

I suspect the pun wasn't intended but I laughed

Of course it was intended.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:
ryans wrote:

I guess it just screws with my sense of justice. You want to go after people who are knowingly doing something wrong or else you're really not protecting society. Going after someone who is duped into a crime they had no idea they were committing makes zero sense to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Matt Gaetz-Come on down!!!! [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So claims are he travelled with her (assume airplane) and paid her way. To get on an airplane requires birthdate in your ticket request. Assume under 18 she didn't have her own credit card. Guilty as charged, he knew her age.
Quote Reply

Prev Next