Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
I mean man city is on a 20 game win streak or something close to that. I am not sure if that has ever happened. And they have given up like 7 goals in that stretch.

Pure dominance

And after about than €1 Billion in net transfer in the last decade (with about € 650 million in the four years with Guardiola in charge), how many champions league trophies?

If you aren’t sure, why make grandiose pronouncements before you could be sure? Why not read up more before showing your ignorance? Here’s a start.

Also, if winning streak is what you are after, Bayern did it last year and this year (23 matches winning streak, each season; i didn’t know these trivia either, but i know to read before i type). And Bayern won a Champions League trophy last year, too.

————————-

dah5609 wrote:
Definitely.

Also the Liverpool team of the late 70s/early 80s (I might be a bit biased here....)

They were regarded by the Graun as one of the six bests. Brian Clough’s Forest team may have been more impressive, but that LFC squad was so successful for so long. I hope that Herr Klopp could rejuvenate the current squad Paisley did.
Last edited by: echappist: Feb 27, 21 11:15
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol. You think someone saying “I am not sure” equals a grandiose proclamation?

if you are looking at records from 40 years ago to match what man city is doing right now you bet your bottom dollar that this current squad is dominating the competition.

I don’t think in history a current team has ever played as well as man city is right now. Pure brilliance over a two month stretch.
Last edited by: sosayusall: Feb 27, 21 11:26
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
Lol. You think someone saying “I am not sure” equals a grandiose proclamation?

if you are looking at records from 40 years ago to match what man city is doing right now you bet your bottom dollar that this current squad is dominating the competition.

I don’t think in history a current team has ever played as well as man city is right now. Pure brilliance over a two month stretch.

Laughable. I even gave you a link to click on, and had you followed through, you would have seen that Bayern went on a 23-match winning run (across all competitions) both last season (2019-2020) and this season (2020-2021).

Man City currently has a 18-game (and perhaps continuing) winning streak in the Premier League. This equals the 18-game winning streak by LFC last year. Maybe Man City will equal or even surpass Bayern's record from last year; maybe it will even win the Champions League for once. But even if it were to do that, it still can't hold a candle to Guardiola's own team from ~10 years ago (that magnificent squad won two Champions League titles).

You, by your own admission, is a recent follower of the beautiful game, and don't yet know what you don't know. And yet you make the following sweeping proclamations (emphases added). Bringing up teams from decades ago is in direct response to your own proclamations (e.g. "man city has to be the best team of all time"). You have no clue about some of the best players all time (even from the last twenty years), and some of those players still shine, even today.

sosayusall wrote:
I have been watching for a month on peacock now. Some of my thoughts. 1) man city has to be the best team of all time. They are awesome to watch. Except they make everyone else seem like a Jv team. 2) gungedom (man city number 8) has to be the best player of all time. 3) on top of man city I have been watching Leeds United. They seem like a fun team.

I mentioning Bayern's recent achievements is in direct response to this post from you (again, emphasis added).

sosayusall wrote:
I am sure gundogen isn’t as good as he has played the last two months but has anyone played better? (I am limiting my time of evaluating people to this time period).

Similar to man city. I doubt any club has put together a stretch as good as they have. It just seems like they have the top players from so many different countries and so many young studs. Their number 17 the Belgium. Augero. Torres. Foden. They just seem like the late 90s Yankees.

I cited examples from last season and this season in response to the following, and you didn't even bother to educate yourself.

sosayusall wrote:
I mean man city is on a 20 game win streak or something close to that. I am not sure if that has ever happened. And they have given up like 7 goals in that stretch.

Pure dominance

Go enjoy your plastic fawning over a plastic team. You are the worst type of plastic supporters. Those of us without connections to the actual cities are more or less all plastic, but you are the worst type: ignorant and with a recency bias. And learn better debating skills while you are at it (pro tip, avoid modifiers such as "all time", "any", etc. when making statements, especially when you don't actually mean to compare against all teams, or even teams in the very recent past)

PS. Your recency bias is so severe, you either forgot about or don't care enough to know about this match. Got trounced 5-2 at home, from earlier this season. Real dominant stuff.

Last edited by: echappist: Feb 28, 21 11:38
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
PS. Your recency bias is so severe, you either forgot about or don't care enough to know about this match. Got trounced 5-2 at home, from earlier this season. Real dominant stuff.

Please see the entire title of this thread. I literally have said I have started to watch professional soccer very recently.

Man city has not lost since I have started to watch professional soccer. They are playing like an all time great team now. Maybe even the best ever.
Last edited by: sosayusall: Feb 28, 21 12:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:

Please see the entire title of this thread. I literally have said I have started to watch professional soccer very recently.

Man city has not lost since I have started to watch professional soccer. They are playing like an all time great team now. Maybe even the best ever.

Just own up to the fact you made some really ignorant statements, that you went into blustering and resorted to hyperboles, and we'll all move on. Simple as that.

If, as you say, you just started watching very recently, what gives you the idea that you have the remotest of clues in saying who ought to be "the best team of all time" and " I doubt any club has put together a stretch as good as they have" (both of which your own uttering, see below)

You even seemed to walk your statement back a bit by saying that Man City is "playing like an all time great team now". So which is it, is this Man City squad merely playing like an all time great (as in, not actually the all time best) or ought it be consider the best team of all time?

sosayusall wrote:
I have been watching for a month on peacock now. Some of my thoughts. 1) man city has to be the best team of all time. They are awesome to watch. Except they make everyone else seem like a Jv team. 2) gungedom (man city number 8) has to be the best player of all time. 3) on top of man city I have been watching Leeds United. They seem like a fun team.

sosayusall wrote:
I am sure gundogen isn’t as good as he has played the last two months but has anyone played better? (I am limiting my time of evaluating people to this time period).

Similar to man city. I doubt any club has put together a stretch as good as they have. It just seems like they have the top players from so many different countries and so many young studs. Their number 17 the Belgium. Augero. Torres. Foden. They just seem like the late 90s Yankees.
Last edited by: echappist: Feb 28, 21 12:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

past weekend matches...

Bale may be finally coming back into form? It's only been a few seasons.

Man United vs. Chelsea was a snooze.... (literally dozed off).
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COYS

Now if you like Keeping up with the Kardashian's and wanting to follow soccer I recommend the mess in Barcelona. JAJAJA

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol. I literally say I have been watching soccer for a month and that man city has to be the best team of all time (while they are on a historic streak).

My man. I don’t know why you think my statements would be anything other than hyperbolic and ignorant. I literally have said I know nothing about soccer.

As I also said gungdom has to be the best player of all time. I don’t think anyone would actually argue that but he has played out of this world during this time period. I don’t know why you similarly havnt brought up players that are better (because currently I am sure he doesn’t even crack the top 20). It’s because you know these statements are hyperbolic.

I have zero clue why you would assign the weight of someone whose words are factual or accurate. The internet on sports is literally the place to make hyperbolic statements.

It would be like someone watching only the 2008 nfl playoffs, and saying “there is no way someone in history has been a better football player than Larry Fitzgerald.”
Last edited by: sosayusall: Mar 1, 21 10:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
City under Pep have been stunning. Agree don't think we have seen anything like them. Leaving win streaks aside the way they play is amazing, much of it done without De Bruynne who is in the top 5 players in the world.

When you think about what they have one and how they have done it they are a great great team. But they have not turned that into Euro success which was why Pep was brought in, so a few Real Madrid, Liverpool, Bayern circa 70's ahead of them.

Cloughy's Forest was great but they over achieved for what they had while City in Europe under achieved.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For champions league and euro league do the schedulers take into consideration those extra games?

If you are playing a champions league game will your country league give you a bye week? Seems like a pretty big disadvantage, especially if you have to play 2 country league games in a week plus a champions league game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
For champions league and euro league do the schedulers take into consideration those extra games?

If you are playing a champions league game will your country league give you a bye week? Seems like a pretty big disadvantage, especially if you have to play 2 country league games in a week plus a champions league game.

Nope. The teams are given ~72 hour turn-around, but sometimes quite a bit less (say a Wednesday evening away match followed by Saturday afternoon domestic match).

Then there are cup games as well.

To really do well, a team needs to be quite deep. Youngsters also get game time for matches of less significance.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:

If he's slacking off b/c he's unhappy at Barca, then that's not right. Walking and sulking around on the job isn't the right standard of professionalism.

If your walking around b/c you can't go a full 90 due to fatigue, injury, age slowing you down, then that's different.

I don't think Messi's at the twilight of his career (the way Valeramma was when he was strolling around at MLS).

In truth, yes, I agree. These guys definitely have to respect a standard. But, I mean, it's Messi, and I don't know that there's ever been a question of his professionalism, so if it slouches a bit because he's getting downtrodden, then he's just human, no? I'd give him that leeway especially if I was a Barca fan.

I'd say the man has another 2-3 years in Ligue 1 or the EPL, then off to MLS.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do top soccer players end up in the mls? (Zaltan, Beckham, Henry, etc)?

It can’t be the money. A couple million for people who have made 100 mil plus in a career can’t be worth it.

I can see if some of the players wanted to move to the states anyway (because no one knows who you are here) + get to live in a major city.

(We don’t see major basketball players with no connection to Europe go play in Europe or baseball players in Asia).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Extend career, opportunity to keep playing, get to life In LA Beckham. Maybe more money than you think. Pele George Best played in the NASL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hah, they have cup and if in Uk, League cup as well. Squads are deep to deal with this. Though up until mid 90's when Wenger came in they pretty much went with the top 11 in most games.

Serie A teams started having star reserves as well as La Liga and the tended to win the Euro tropies in that era. Plus no one actually tries very hard in Serie A or La Liga
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
Extend career, opportunity to keep playing, get to life In LA Beckham. Maybe more money than you think. Pele George Best played in the NASL.

Don’t have to play mid-week matches on a rainy, windy day in Stoke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think some of them just want the experience. Interesting to see which ones stay in shape and play competitively compared to others who seem to pack on a few pounds and run a lot less than they did. Some inspire their less capable team mates (Rooney for example) whereas others seem to struggle being on a team of less capable individuals than they are used to. When i watched Henry playing for the Red Bulls he seemed frustrated that his team mates weren't as capable as those he played with at Arsenal or Barcelona.

i bet it is a shock to the system to have to play a full season in the heat and humidity of a US summer and with all of the travel. i don't think MLS charters flights so there will be a lot of hanging around in the airport for guys who are used to something different.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Henry was a lazy sod at Arsenal too, waited around for that one moment which he did very well, but did now work for the rest of the game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jan Molby at Liverpool was the master at that, just stood in the middle spraying inch perfect passes to all corners of the field - legend!
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [dah5609] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for a fat slow man he was great loved him. I liked Ian Wright more than henry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could never stand Ian Wright, until I heard him on Desert Island Discs talking about his old teacher - after that I got a new found respect for the man, lovely bloke.

Henry was class though - him and Vieira in the same team, just sheer brilliance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is the first tie breaker in the champions league for aggregate away goals scored?

I understand it for round robin format.

But it seems like it would play into tactics. Like if you lost the first game at home by a goal you’re really down by 2 goals in aggregate.

It seems like a somewhat silly tiebreaker when you could potentially just go to Pks or something else because both teams are right there.

However overall I like the idea because it forces the away team to be more agresive in the first leg (you don’t want to tie 0-0 because they means you have to outright win at home). It just seems like a silly tie breaker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well yes people are a bit over it:

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/away-goals-rule-what-is-it-will-uefa-drop-from-champions/c8h61pd7sm916zulqe11ug53

Before you get too excited about Man City and all these new cool kids, Fat Ronaldo is better than thin Ronaldo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsrhC9iEPXs

Best goal ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3l-sdU9d0E

Some how this team doesn't win the 82 world cup, but played the best football ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxyENH_ODJA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanted to bump this thread. Caught the Bayern Munich vs Dortmund match today and discovered a rising star. I don't get to watch much football since I don't pay for cable, so I'd never seen young Erling Haaland for Dortmund before. He's the real deal and the commentators indicated he'll probably be leaving Dortmund after this season and will end up with one of the big clubs somewhere.

It was an interesting match with Dormund jumping to an early 2-0 lead and it was tied at 2 late into the game with Bayern winning 4-2.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@the OP, if you want to learn more about your new favorite player, here's a good article on him: https://www.theguardian.com/...big-screw-in-my-back

zed707 wrote:
I wanted to bump this thread. Caught the Bayern Munich vs Dortmund match today and discovered a rising star. I don't get to watch much football since I don't pay for cable, so I'd never seen young Erling Haaland for Dortmund before. He's the real deal and the commentators indicated he'll probably be leaving Dortmund after this season and will end up with one of the big clubs somewhere.
It was an interesting match with Dormund jumping to an early 2-0 lead and it was tied at 2 late into the game with Bayern winning 4-2.

Yeah, he's the real deal, no doubt. Great ball control, especially in view of his large frame. Question is, who can afford his transfer fees. Manchester United that borrowed 60 million pounds to service its debts. Barça is way in debt. Real seems out of it. So that leaves PSG and Man City. His dad played for City actually, so I guess that's an option?
Quote Reply

Prev Next