Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
All Serie A matches and all Bundesliga matches are on Espn+ ($6/ month)

I remember watching Soccer Made In Germany on our Public Broadcasting station when I was in High School - it always seemed it was Bayern Munich vs. somebody else, so there was Gerd Müller, Sepp Maier and Franz Beckenbauer on TV every week

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
City tops the Reds without De Bruyne or Aguero.

Alone at the top, it certainly looks like the title is theirs to lose.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have started watching the epl on peacock. They have all the games. And also 10 minute highlights per game for each team.

I have enjoyed watching the highligh sections for a couple of teams this last week.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
City tops the Reds without De Bruyne or Aguero.

Alone at the top, it certainly looks like the title is theirs to lose.

That was a royal thumping... LFC running on fumes

sosayusall wrote:
I have started watching the epl on peacock. They have all the games. And also 10 minute highlights per game for each team.

I have enjoyed watching the highligh sections for a couple of teams this last week.

Only downsides are that 1) not all of the games are live (e.g. Peacock will have replay of today's LFC v Man. City match, but the live one was on NBCSN) and 2) the highlights often get uploaded onto youtube before getting uploaded onto Peacock
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been watching for a month on peacock now. Some of my thoughts. 1) man city has to be the best team of all time. They are awesome to watch. Except they make everyone else seem like a Jv team. 2) gungedom (man city number 8) has to be the best player of all time. 3) on top of man city I have been watching Leeds United. They seem like a fun team.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
I have been watching for a month on peacock now. Some of my thoughts. 1) man city has to be the best team of all time. They are awesome to watch. Except they make everyone else seem like a Jv team. 2) gungedom (man city number 8) has to be the best player of all time. 3) on top of man city I have been watching Leeds United. They seem like a fun team.

1) Just in recent years, and with Pep at the helm. There's a couple of documentaries on Man Cities championship run. I forget the year, but it was the season that came down to the final minutes and only when Aguero scored in the waning minutes to secure the title were things locked in. Prior to that year, ManCity always had the perception amongst their own fans that they always find a way to screw it up... and rivals Man Utd would end up higher or on top.

2). I think it's De Bruyn on that them for me. Gungedom did badly flub a penalty recently too. Forgot who they were playing, but he made up for it later by scoring twice.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:

I'm sorry to be a bit harsh here (on second thought, I'm not), but you should hold your pronouncements until you've known more about football and understand a) how Man City stacks up against some real world beaters and b) how Man City can look so good right now. It's okay, I once made similarly nonsensical comments when I first followed soccer (calling Watford "very good" solely on the basis of its position on the table, without at all realizing how inane my statement was). You should look up some of the actual all time greats:

-Amsterdam Ajax of the early 1970's, coached by Rinus Michels and led by a certain Johan Cruijff (forever memorialized by the eponymously named skill move). The tactical planning of Michel (a style since known as "Total Football") and the technical dexterity of Cruijff (and his teammates) led that squad to three consecutive European Cup (now known as the Champion's League). That squad completely modernized the way football is played. Cruijff went on to coach Barcelona to its first European Cup in 1992, and the holding midfielder of that squad was none other than a certain Josep Guardiola. But Cruijff had a longer term effect on Barcelona as well, as he laid the foundation to Barça's academy (see below).
-Bayern München of the mid 1970's. Nothing era defining in terms of tactics, but this was an awfully good squad led by some all time greats. Players such as Beckenbauer, Hoeness, Rummenigge, and Müller. The second squad to three-peat.
-Arrigo Sacchi's AC Milan of the late 1980's. That squad may have won only two European Cups, but it played in a way that revolutionized Italian football (aka Calcio). Up til then, Italian football was known to be a very defensively-minded affair, with few goals. Sacchi changed that. It was led by the second golden Dutch generation of Gullit, Rijkaard, and van Basten.
-Barcelona of the late noughts, as epitomized by the squad that won the 2009 Champions League. Barcelona had a pretty decent first decade prior to that, winning a Champions League under the aforementioned Rijkaard in 2006, but it was to revolutionize football in a profound manner not seen since the Ajax squad of the early 1970's. Under the guidance of Guardiola (his first year at the helm), a few generational talents from Barça's academy (Xavi, Iniesta, and Messi), aided by other top talents from the same academy (Puyols, Pique, and Busquets), completely changed the way the game was played, eschewing physicality and playing with short, accurate passing that not only mesmerized but also led to goals. Though the team under Guardiola won only one Champions League, this was as untouchable as a modern squad got. Furthermore, five of the six players above also formed the core of the Spanish National team, which played a very similar style and managed to win two European Championships and one World Cup.

The present Man City squad, who will almost certainly win the league and will be a strong contender for the Champions League, pales in comparison when compared to any of the four above.

And then there's the dirty secret about Man City, which is that it is a PR project aided almost exclusively by oil money, aimed to improve the perception of Abu Dhabi. Man City is one of the few teams in Europe capable of having its second best 11 players also be world class, and much of that is down to the enormous spending enabled by money from Abu Dhabi. Especially in a season with a schedule more congested than usual, having bench players who are on par with starters on other teams keeps the team fresh. That said, credit where it's due for the development of some of those players (Garcia, Foden, and Sterling), as Guardiola has had a direct effect in coaching those players to their current lofty levels (though it has to be said that Man City paid 50 Mil pounds to sign Sterling), but that squad is mostly made of players for whose service Man City paid tens of millions in transfer fees. Over the long-run, stocking a squad with really good players (financed in a way not available to any other team except PSG) will lead to superior results, especially coached by someone as good as Guardiola.

Just look at the following list (from yesterday's Champions League match):
Substitutes
  • 5 Stones
  • 10 Aguero (s 80')
  • 11 Zinchenko
  • 13 Steffen
  • 17 De Bruyne
  • 21 Torres (s 80')
  • 22 Mendy
  • 25 Fernandinho
  • 26 Mahrez (s 69')
  • 33 Carson
  • 50 Garcia
  • 69 Doyle

Swap Zinchenko or Mendy for Cancello (b/c otherwise there isn't a right back amongst the subs), and you have the following for substitutes:
-defense: Cancello, Garcia, Stones, Mendy (177 mil. Euros in transfer fees)
De Bruyne, Fernandinho, (116 mil. Euros)
Mahrez, Aguero, Torres (131 mil. Euros)
40-Tude wrote:
sosayusall wrote:

1) Just in recent years, and with Pep at the helm. There's a couple of documentaries on Man Cities championship run. I forget the year, but it was the season that came down to the final minutes and only when Aguero scored in the waning minutes to secure the title were things locked in. Prior to that year, ManCity always had the perception amongst their own fans that they always find a way to screw it up... and rivals Man Utd would end up higher or on top.

2). I think it's De Bruyn on that them for me. Gungedom did badly flub a penalty recently too. Forgot who they were playing, but he made up for it later by scoring twice.

Re: 1) that was with Mancini at the helm, but certainly after Sheikh Mansour took over. Before that takeover and during the Premier League era, City even briefly played on the third level on English football (as in, bad enough to get relegated from the second tier).

Re: 2) that was against Liverpool last month. Also, his name is rendered as Gundogan (or Gündoğan if you really want to be precise)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
40-Tude wrote:

Re: 1) that was with Mancini at the helm, but certainly after Sheikh Mansour took over. Before that takeover and during the Premier League era, City even briefly played on the third level on English football (as in, bad enough to get relegated from the second tier).

Re: 2) that was against Liverpool last month. Also, his name is rendered as Gundogan (or Gündoğan if you really want to be precise)

Yes, it was w/Mancini and prior to Pep. Appreciate the correction there.

Also agree that unlike the other clubs you mentioned ManCity doesn't have the long history of excellence (yet?) as the other clubs you mentioned. But to fans picking up the sport now, it can be hard to imagine ManCity not good, since they are so good currently. The storied clubs that you mentioned had excellence sustained over generations of fans which is very cool. I wonder whether the huge sums of money being spent today by some clubs can lead to the kind of multi-generational excellence. As in Emirates money at ManCity, or Abramovich money at Chelsea. Well, Chelsea is seeing a few issues this season. Hopefully success doesn't only last as long as an owner feels like spending.

Gundogan isn't as up there for me (regardless of spelling). For me, there are some games that I'll tune in for specific players -- De Bruyn for the passing game; Mbappe on any breakaway or in the penalty box; Suarez, can still find a way to score; Neymar on ball skill (though lately he's hacked, or flopped before he can get going); Ronaldo, anything really; Pulisic on the ball (if he goes to Bayern, hopefully he gets playing time as that's a loaded team); Pique for defensive positioning; Messi, also anything. But lately, Messi seems to be just walking around more.... Not as bad as Valderamma at the end of his career... walk 5 paces... one touch pass.... walk 5 paces... another one touch pass, repeat ad nauseum.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:

Also agree that unlike the other clubs you mentioned ManCity doesn't have the long history of excellence (yet?) as the other clubs you mentioned. But to fans picking up the sport now, it can be hard to imagine ManCity not good, since they are so good currently. The storied clubs that you mentioned had excellence sustained over generations of fans which is very cool. I wonder whether the huge sums of money being spent today by some clubs can lead to the kind of multi-generational excellence. As in Emirates money at ManCity, or Abramovich money at Chelsea. Well, Chelsea is seeing a few issues this season. Hopefully success doesn't only last as long as an owner feels like spending.

Gundogan isn't as up there for me (regardless of spelling). For me, there are some games that I'll tune in for specific players -- De Bruyn for the passing game; Mbappe on any breakaway or in the penalty box; Suarez, can still find a way to score; Neymar on ball skill (though lately he's hacked, or flopped before he can get going); Ronaldo, anything really; Pulisic on the ball (if he goes to Bayern, hopefully he gets playing time as that's a loaded team); Pique for defensive positioning; Messi, also anything. But lately, Messi seems to be just walking around more.... Not as bad as Valderamma at the end of his career... walk 5 paces... one touch pass.... walk 5 paces... another one touch pass, repeat ad nauseum.

Those are all good points. Just one person missing though. Love him or hate him, you can't ignore his talent and acrobatics (at the age of 39, no less). The Zlatan, scoring bicycle kicks for fun.

and from a few years ago (albeit for country)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
Messi, also anything. But lately, Messi seems to be just walking around more.... Not as bad as Valderamma at the end of his career... walk 5 paces... one touch pass.... walk 5 paces... another one touch pass, repeat ad nauseum.

But ... do you blame him? Barcelona are a mess, unfortunately. He'll be at City or PSG next year.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, for those interested, a series of articles from The Guardian on some of the best European Cup/ Champions League teams.

Interesting that they've included Liverpool in this as well (not that LFC didn't earn those four trophies, but more that there wasn't as much concentrated excellence).

I had also forgotten that Guardiola and that Barça squad has won the Champions League twice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure gundogen isn’t as good as he has played the last two months but has anyone played better? (I am limiting my time of evaluating people to this time period).

Similar to man city. I doubt any club has put together a stretch as good as they have. It just seems like they have the top players from so many different countries and so many young studs. Their number 17 the Belgium. Augero. Torres. Foden. They just seem like the late 90s Yankees.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ready4Launch wrote:
40-Tude wrote:

Messi, also anything. But lately, Messi seems to be just walking around more.... Not as bad as Valderamma at the end of his career... walk 5 paces... one touch pass.... walk 5 paces... another one touch pass, repeat ad nauseum.

But ... do you blame him? Barcelona are a mess, unfortunately. He'll be at City or PSG next year.

If he's slacking off b/c he's unhappy at Barca, then that's not right. Walking and sulking around on the job isn't the right standard of professionalism.

If your walking around b/c you can't go a full 90 due to fatigue, injury, age slowing you down, then that's different.

I don't think Messi's at the twilight of his career (the way Valeramma was when he was strolling around at MLS).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone watch college soccer?

I don't do cable but I think in normal years some of my son's games would be televised.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:

I don't do cable but I think in normal years some of my son's games would be televised.

I've watched some of the D1 final four games on TV some years. Always terrible.

I've watched some parts of some local college games D1-D3, and the occasional HS game, in person. Pretty impressive level of play.

A lot is lost on TV somehow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

I've watched some parts of some local college games D1-D3, and the occasional HS game, in person. Pretty impressive level of play.

Is it the filming?
Or the level/style of play?

3/4ths of the kids on my son's team play USL in the summer, or played on second or third tier pro teams in Europe and Latin America.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you kid end up? (What conference at least). I remember a year or two ago you were talking about him.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
Where did you kid end up? (What conference at least). I remember a year or two ago you were talking about him.

He is in the Summit conference.
Not super glamorous. But he likes his coach, team and university.

The Midwest doesn't seem to interesting too me.
But he has spent his whole life in the southwest. Bad weather and boring scenery seems exotic to him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:

My nephew plays in the A10 conference, his first is tomorrow on ESPN+ -- I think they show a number of mid major games.
They are playing a top 5 team in Pitt, should be interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
sosayusall wrote:

He is in the Summit conference.
Not super glamorous. But he likes his coach, team and university.

The Midwest doesn't seem to interesting too me.
But he has spent his whole life in the southwest. Bad weather and boring scenery seems exotic to him.

How do those kids play pro ball in the summers if they are still NCAA players? (I think it's crazy that college players don't get paid, but that is another topic).

~Brad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
40-Tude wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

Is it the filming?
Or the level/style of play?

3/4ths of the kids on my son's team play USL in the summer, or played on second or third tier pro teams in Europe and Latin America.

I think several things...

1. TV usually shows the highest levels of the game (EPL, La Liga, etc.) so expectations on the level of play for what's on TV are (unconsciously) higher. Like watching MLS and expecting EPL level standards. Things get taken for granted (e.g. accuracy of, and settling a long ball pass; the perfect timing of a pass into space, etc.), Any miscues on lower play level on TV become apparent very quickly.

2. College commentary and camera work is not as good as pro level camera work, so quite simply, the presentation of the coverage and the experience of watching is not as good.

3. Being there live and watching the action up close (e.g.easy for college/HS level) gets you to see and notice things otherwise missed on TV -- i.e. seeing/hearing the effort/hustle to sprint and chase down a ball to keep it play reminds you of the effort (and/or skill) to pull things off. You also can catch the players talking/calling out to each other live - which also says a lot about their skills (or lack).

It's similar to ice hockey (my son's sport). Totally different experience being up against the glass seeing a live puck-battle happening a few feet in front of you... or the hustle to fight for a loose puck in the crease. Sometimes you can literally sniff the stench of hockey gear - it's that close/real. That is very different experience and appreciation from the livebarn feed of a game (livebarn.com allows you to catch the action at various arenas live streamed over the web).

That's great that your son's playing college soccer. If you're within driving distance, be fun to make the trip(s).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CBS All access has been showing EUFA Champions League games as well.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/uefa-champions-league/news/1009996/how-to-watch-the-2020-2021-uefa-champions-league-live-on-cbs-all-access/

Not sure if this will be included with paramount+ when that goes live next week. May be worth signing up for a free trial, they sent me a 50% offer to extend for 2 months after cancelling during the initial trial. Not sure how exclusive the distribution rights are for soccer in your region.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
Similar to man city. I doubt any club has put together a stretch as good as they have.

Google 'Arsenal 2003-2004' ... certainly better.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely.

Also the Liverpool team of the late 70s/early 80s (I might be a bit biased here....)
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [dah5609] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mean man city is on a 20 game win streak or something close to that. I am not sure if that has ever happened. And they have given up like 7 goals in that stretch.

Pure dominance
Quote Reply

Prev Next