Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hey Georgia...about Marjorie [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
She posted this on the wall of her House office today, in response to an LGBTQ flag being placed outside an office door opposite hers:

Yet they get mad when they are called deplorable.

Anywhere in the real world this would be considered a hostile work environment and shut down immediately. Of course, anywhere in the real world she would have been fired long ago for refusing to wear a mask or trying to bypass metal detectors.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Georgia...about Marjorie [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
Brandon_W wrote:
CallMeMaybe wrote:
Has anyone here renounced their affiliation with the GOP in the last year? I’d like to know details— even just basic: how, when, why. No judging, I promise.

I switched my party affiliation to Dem last week after being a registered Repub in Florida for the past twenty years.

I was never a Trump supporter (voted Clinton in 2016 and Biden in 2020), but I generally voted R down the ballot every election.

Up until 2016, I thought that the Republicans were the party of the grownups: Rational, had integrity, and had the US's best interests in mind. But after Trump got elected and the party leaders began to sidle up to him (if not outright pledge their fealty to him), it was obvious what the party's true intentions had become: Maintain power.

I don't have time to write up or articulate all that the Republicans will have to do to earn my respect and affiliation again, but in a nutshell:

1) Leave no room for interpretation that the party will no longer make QAnon or white supremacist groups have a home with a major political party.

2) Stop trying to disenfranchise minority voters. It may cost the party over the next couple of elections, but take control of the message and let it be known that voting rights for all Americans is a high priority.

3) Stop cozying up to evangelicals to push this narrative that the Rs are the party of values, honor, integrity, etc.

4) Either be about fiscal responsibility or shut the fuck up it.

5) Do some serious soul searching and figure out why half the country doesn't care what Republicans have to say anymore.

It’s posts like yours and MikeH’s that do the most for building unity

I looked to see how many Floridians have left the GOP since Jan 6, but I didn’t see any recent stories. Immediately after Jan 6, there were reportedly “thousands” who left.

Thank you for your thoughts.

At the risk of being accused of propagating a false equivalency, there's some reeling in of the far-left (policies, words, and actions) to do as well before we'll see true unity again. Brandon's suggestions are a great start for the GOP. For starters on the Dem side, I'm talking tamping down:
  1. The hyper-aggressive woke cancel culture that has over-corrected for every single legitimate grievance by minority or underserved groups. Just because I'm a Rep white male with a good job who lives in the suburbs doesn't make me an selfish, evil, homophobic, bigot.
  2. The Great Green Hypocrisy - we should all strive for a better, cleaner planet, just don't ask me to not fly in my private plane, live in my 3500 sq.ft. house or drive to work in my 18 mpg Lexus SUV. How about adding some teeth to the Paris accords, rather than just patting ourselves on the back?
  3. The violent fringes of BLM/Antifa/etc. Just because Trump used them as a go-to boogeyman for everything, doesn't mean we don't need to be rid of them. Just as we should be prosecuting every single one of those fuckwads that entered the Capitol, we should do the same that have destroyed people's businesses or government property while flying the flag of a legitimate cause.
  4. Throwing money at education with no accountability, student loan forgiveness, pandering to teacher's unions (who are pulling a McConnell-level obstruction of getting kids back in schools)

If you're trying to understand the moderate Republican, the above is why a large number of people held their noses and voted for Trump 2016 and even in 2020 (for what it's worth, like Brandon I didn't in either case). Unfortunately opposing those things got you lumped in with the evangelical and white nationalist (or both) wackos and here the Republican party is.

I voted for Biden as both an anti-Trump message and because I believed he would lead from the center and provide competence in the Executive branch, so we can start debating policy from the center as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Georgia...about Marjorie [MikeH in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeH in MD wrote:
  1. Throwing money at education with no accountability, student loan forgiveness, pandering to teacher's unions (who are pulling a McConnell-level obstruction of getting kids back in schools)

I was with you until the bolded. Just as everyone talks about painting all GOPers with the Trump brush, many, if not most, on the right paint all teachers with the Chicago/LA/NYC teacher's union brush. The vast, vast majority of teachers want to go back to school or are already back. However, they do want it with the same safety and security precautions any worker wants when they return. The comments are always, the kids need to be back in school, and I agree with this, but there is little to no concern with the teachers when these comments are made.

My wife has been back in school since the beginning of January and has had to do an excessive amount of work for the kids who either get quarantined or their parents decide to go on vacation since any kid can work virtually now. Her average work week since going back has been 70 - 80 hours. I know this is not typical but I do know an awful lot of teachers going way above and beyond so all of their students are getting an education when the conditions are not optimal.

Finally, look at the state of Indiana. If there is a state who puts less emphasis on education and more on screwing over their public school teachers, I don't know which one it would be. In PA, it was a major concern to get kids back in school so teachers were given priority for the vaccination. In Indiana, they keep getting pushed further down the line.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MikeH in MD wrote:

At the risk of being accused of propagating a false equivalency, there's some reeling in of the far-left (policies, words, and actions) to do as well before we'll see true unity again. Brandon's suggestions are a great start for the GOP. For starters on the Dem side, I'm talking tamping down:
  1. The hyper-aggressive woke cancel culture that has over-corrected for every single legitimate grievance by minority or underserved groups. Just because I'm a Rep white male with a good job who lives in the suburbs doesn't make me an selfish, evil, homophobic, bigot.
  2. The Great Green Hypocrisy - we should all strive for a better, cleaner planet, just don't ask me to not fly in my private plane, live in my 3500 sq.ft. house or drive to work in my 18 mpg Lexus SUV. How about adding some teeth to the Paris accords, rather than just patting ourselves on the back?
  3. The violent fringes of BLM/Antifa/etc. Just because Trump used them as a go-to boogeyman for everything, doesn't mean we don't need to be rid of them. Just as we should be prosecuting every single one of those fuckwads that entered the Capitol, we should do the same that have destroyed people's businesses or government property while flying the flag of a legitimate cause.
  4. Throwing money at education with no accountability, student loan forgiveness, pandering to teacher's unions (who are pulling a McConnell-level obstruction of getting kids back in schools)

I would describe myself as center-left, and I am with you on this (perhaps with the exception of the teacher union thing, which isn't really the case in most of the country).

The fringes of both parties need to be excised. It's unfortunate that the "fringe belief" on the Republican side is a actual large portion of the party. I might even say it's a majority. Perhaps that ship can be righted though over the next couple of years.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Georgia...about Marjorie [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
MikeH in MD wrote:

1. Throwing money at education with no accountability, student loan forgiveness, pandering to teacher's unions (who are pulling a McConnell-level obstruction of getting kids back in schools)

I was with you until the bolded. Just as everyone talks about painting all GOPers with the Trump brush, many, if not most, on the right paint all teachers with the Chicago/LA/NYC teacher's union brush. The vast, vast majority of teachers want to go back to school or are already back. However, they do want it with the same safety and security precautions any worker wants when they return. The comments are always, the kids need to be back in school, and I agree with this, but there is little to no concern with the teachers when these comments are made.

My wife has been back in school since the beginning of January and has had to do an excessive amount of work for the kids who either get quarantined or their parents decide to go on vacation since any kid can work virtually now. Her average work week since going back has been 70 - 80 hours. I know this is not typical but I do know an awful lot of teachers going way above and beyond so all of their students are getting an education when the conditions are not optimal.

Finally, look at the state of Indiana. If there is a state who puts less emphasis on education and more on screwing over their public school teachers, I don't know which one it would be. In PA, it was a major concern to get kids back in school so teachers were given priority for the vaccination. In Indiana, they keep getting pushed further down the line.

In Maryland, teachers have vaccine priority and yet their unions are refusing to budge, continuing to move the goalposts. I don't fault teachers for having concerns, and I'm not painting most teachers with that brush. And I really appreciate those that are going above and beyond to make the best of what is there. Just what I'm seeing here locally.

Let's cross out the COVID issue and discuss teachers' unions as a whole, as I was just pointing out an example. I'm more concerned of the "throw more money at education without any accountability for results" attitude the the unions demand. The teaching profession should be elevated as a whole, from education to qualifications to certifications to salary, rewarding great teachers and training-up or dismissing bad ones. Unions have no interest in that. Well except the more money part.

ETA: sorry to derail, was just finishing up the sidebar with CMM. Back to rightfully slamming the village idiot.
Last edited by: MikeH in MD: Feb 25, 21 6:52
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Georgia...about Marjorie [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
She posted this on the wall of her House office today, in response to an LGBTQ flag being placed outside an office door opposite hers:

Pre-Trump GOP had Michelle Bachman, who for all her crazy conducted herself like a church lady, relatively speaking. It's no coincidence that the new era "conservative" culture warriors are making their name by being as obnoxious and confrontational as the party leader. This isn't going away any time soon, in part because it sells with the base, and in part because the GOP is largely a gaggle of unprincipled cowards.

It is worse than you think.

Representative Newman has the office across the hall from her. Rep Newman has a transgender daughter and put up a trans pride flag up for that.

So yes, it is even worse than it appears.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Georgia...about Marjorie [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that is overall the problem with the gop. The fringe on the gop is the controlling faction (and probably the majority).

In the senate, the controlling faction of the Dems is actually right of center. And Biden is center left. Pelosi in the house is also fairly moderate, or at least doesn’t give into the left wing.

In the senate during the trump years, a couple of center leaning gop members could have kept the party in the center but they all decided to retire. What is left is around 30 gop senators that are hard right (opposed to around 10-12 hard left, which also include 2-3 that are actually right leaning. Kelly, manchin, sinema. Tester. King. ).
Last edited by: sosayusall: Feb 25, 21 7:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MikeH in MD wrote:
Let's cross out the COVID issue and discuss teachers' unions as a whole, as I was just pointing out an example. I'm more concerned of the "throw more money at education without any accountability for results" attitude the the unions demand. The teaching profession should be elevated as a whole, from education to qualifications to certifications to salary, rewarding great teachers and training-up or dismissing bad ones. Unions have no interest in that. Well except the more money part.

ETA: sorry to derail, was just finishing up the sidebar with CMM. Back to rightfully slamming the village idiot.

We are in complete agreement on this and as you said, "Back to rightfully slamming the village idiot."

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am encouraged that you have not been accused of resorting to a false equivalent in your post. Reeling in, or if you will marginalizing, the margins on both ends of the political spectrum has to be job #1 right now. We have always owned ,and will always own, a population of folks who exist happily out in the margins in their cults . It is just that their voices are now amplified with overwhelming media access and their hearing is dominated by their own echos.

While there is no going back to the public square, soapbox and megaphone to limit the voice of the margins, we do need to modulate better both the amplitude and frequency of their cries.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Georgia...about Marjorie [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Years back I used to watch America's Funniest Home Videos. They would occasionally show videos of some toddler or kid who was unbelievably disrespectful to adults - and people would laugh at it. It made me cringe, but they thought it was funny.

Trump is the toddler, and a lot of his supporters are the ones who laugh at his childish, disrespectful antics and encourage him to do more. Now, other toddlers have found their way into office. It is disgraceful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MikeH in MD wrote:

1. As someone who used to be not so understanding of various marginalized groups I have learned a lot in the last few years. I agree there are large portions of white males in the suburbs who are "woke" and they should not be painted with a broad brush
2. I see the retooling of America's power infrastructure as a huge economic opportunity that will create jobs, give America a competitive advantage, and reduce the importance of countries like Saudi Arabia. I have zero problem with people flying or driving gas guzzlers in the meantime. Industry will eventually provide alternatives that are better and do not pollute.
3. It is indeed the violent fringe. Anarchists' and criminal gangs who take advantage of peaceful protests should be put down hard.
4. I don't know about the teachers union stuff as that is state and locality specific. Totally agree on student loan forgiveness. I am open to some forgiveness but we should focus on making education more affordable and available before we toss more money at it.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Georgia...about Marjorie [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Years back I used to watch America's Funniest Home Videos. They would occasionally show videos of some toddler or kid who was unbelievably disrespectful to adults - and people would laugh at it. It made me cringe, but they thought it was funny.

Trump is the toddler, and a lot of his supporters are the ones who laugh at his childish, disrespectful antics and encourage him to do more. Now, other toddlers have found their way into office. It is disgraceful.

trump was not the first though, he was part of a clear progression. Look at lots of the tea party group, like Jim Jordan. The right wing feed back loop of politicians and media had already been established to that rewarded childish behavior over any sort of actual governing. trump just added to the feedback loop.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Georgia...about Marjorie [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
I think that is overall the problem with the gop. The fringe on the gop is the controlling faction (and probably the majority).

In the senate, the controlling faction of the Dems is actually right of center. And Biden is center left. Pelosi in the house is also fairly moderate, or at least doesn’t give into the left wing.

In the senate during the trump years, a couple of center leaning gop members could have kept the party in the center but they all decided to retire. What is left is around 30 gop senators that are hard right (opposed to around 10-12 hard left, which also include 2-3 that are actually right leaning. Kelly, manchin, sinema. Tester. King. ).

This is the key to me right here. I can agree w/ most of what MikeH is saying, but where the rubber actually meets the road is that the Q-loons are effectively running the GOP now, whereas on the D side the grown-ups are still mostly in charge. AOC gets a lot of publicity, but she doesn’t even chair any committees.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Georgia...about Marjorie [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a video of her posting that shit. What a despicable person she is.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Georgia...about Marjorie [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
sosayusall wrote:

This is the key to me right here. I can agree w/ most of what MikeH is saying, but where the rubber actually meets the road is that the Q-loons are effectively running the GOP now, whereas on the D side the grown-ups are still mostly in charge. AOC gets a lot of publicity, but she doesn’t even chair any committees.

Even if you don't agree with AOC's policy proposals, at least she has policy proposals that are meant to address real problems. She also clearly does the homework before people are brought before committee hearings, she asks substantive questions in order. She does not just go on long political speeches that are tangentially related to the topic. She actually cares about legislation. She is much more of a grown up than these Republicans.

Also AOC will be much more critical of Biden than these people were ever of trump.

Compare that Madison Cawthorn, who actually says he built his staff around communication and not legislation.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Georgia...about Marjorie [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
There is a video of her posting that shit. What a despicable person she is.

But it's not you whose approval she's seeking.

Her supporters are lapping this shit up, because even after Trump got kicked out of the WH, they still get to "own the libs".

I keep saying, this all goes back to those "My kid beat up your honor student" stickers. Celebrate stupidity, boorishness and bullying for long enough and what you get is what we're seeing today.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Georgia...about Marjorie [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Entirely agree.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Georgia...about Marjorie [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know exactly how I feel about MTG, so don't misunderstand this post. I had only seen MTG's tweet and thought it was what I had come to expect from her. I didn't realize it was in response to Newman's tweet 4 hour earlier, until I saw that tweet this morning and was disappointed.

This is from Rep Newman's twitter:

Quote:
Our neighbor,
@RepMTG
, tried to block the Equality Act because she believes prohibiting discrimination against trans Americans is “disgusting, immoral, and evil.” Thought we’d put up our Transgender flag so she can look at it every time she opens her door

MTG's twitter had this response and video:

Quote:
Our neighbor,
@RepMarieNewman
, wants to pass the so-called "Equality" Act to destroy women’s rights and religious freedoms. Thought we’d put up ours so she can look at it every time she opens her door

Recommend that you watch the twitter video in both links as MTG mimics Newman's actions.

We've elected children to represent us. And I see wrestling with a pig and getting dirty.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Georgia...about Marjorie [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you replace transgender with something like gays, women, or minorities would you still think of both sides as children?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It takes extreme pretzel logic to try to "both sides" this.

Greene has been spewing vile hate about trans people for years. She actively spread lies about the Equality act. Newman put out a trans flag to show support for her child and the act. Green responds with more hate.

Perhaps I misunderstood your point but it is clear who the child is here.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Georgia...about Marjorie [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sosayusall wrote:
If you replace transgender with something like gays, women, or minorities would you still think of both sides as children?

I am closer to Newman than MTG on this issue, but I don't think I am 100% aligned with her either. It is complicated issue, that isn't as clear in my head as I would like it to be to before engaging in a debate on the issue.

That said, It doesn't have anything to do with the issue. It has everything to do with how our representatives chose to handle disagreements.

I don't approve of how Newman chose to respond to MTG's objections to the bill in the first tweet. I found MTG's tweet boorish and offensive. And then I realized she was mimicking Newman's tweet.

Should my view of Newman's handling of the difference in their position on the issue be any different than that I had formed of MTG?

(MTG, admittedly, comes into this with much baggage, so again I wasn't surprised by her poor response. But Newman doesn't bring that same baggage. No one in Congress is calling for Newman to be censured or removed from Congress for her prior actions. I think Congress would be a better place without her.)

I see Newman dropping to MTG's level of pettiness. There are better ways to fight a good fight.

I used to expect that our elected officials would handle disagreements professionally, now I am surprised when they do.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Georgia...about Marjorie [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:

Greene has been spewing vile hate about trans people for years. She actively spread lies about the Equality act. Newman put out a trans flag to show support for her child and the act. Green responds with more hate.

Not trying to "both sides" this one. As above, I saw MTG's tweet yesterday and found it boorish and offensive. Then I saw Newman's tweet this morning and only then realized MTG was mimicking Newman.

That forced me to reconsider MTG's tweet. I still found it offensive. So what should I conclude of the tweet she was mimicking? I found that it was disappointing.

And like I said, Newman chose to wrestle with a pig. She got dirty. And the pig likes it.

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Feb 25, 21 12:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Nutella wrote:

Not trying to "both sides" this one. As above, I saw MTG's tweet yesterday and found it boorish and offensive. Then I saw Newman's tweet this morning and only then realized MTG was mimicking Newman.

That forced me to reconsider MTG's tweet. I still found it offensive. So what should I conclude of the tweet she was mimicking? I found that it was disappointing.

And like I said, Newman chose to wrestle with a pig. She got dirty. And the pig likes it.

I do not see how showing support for her child and the bill she was voting on today is wrestling with a pig.

People like Greene want to pretend that Trans people do not exist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To a degree, I do think you're propagating a false equivalency. The issues I have with the current GOP are their actual platform. It's not an effective counterpoint to identify individuals on the left, ascribe their views and behaviors to the Democratic Party as a whole and say everyone's equally bad.

MikeH in MD wrote:

1. The hyper-aggressive woke cancel culture that has over-corrected for every single legitimate grievance by minority or underserved groups. Just because I'm a Rep white male with a good job who lives in the suburbs doesn't make me an selfish, evil, homophobic, bigot. What are we actually talking about here? College campuses not inviting provocative speakers (who in some cases are provocative in the best sense and in some cases are just dumb)? Hollywood blacklisting actors for being a bit rapey? Private employers regulating their employees behaviors? Whatever you think of these - and reasonable people can certainly differ - they are not the actions of the Democratic Party, unless you deliberately conflate the two.

2. The Great Green Hypocrisy - we should all strive for a better, cleaner planet, just don't ask me to not fly in my private plane, live in my 3500 sq.ft. house or drive to work in my 18 mpg Lexus SUV. How about adding some teeth to the Paris accords, rather than just patting ourselves on the back? This is the one that really gets my goat. The standing for worrying about the national debt is not whether you voluntarily overpay your taxes every year down to the last cent you have available. People always prioritize their family's well being over their broader societal goals. It's human nature. The fact particular politicians or climate activists don't model perfect behavior doesn't make the climate policy goals of the Democratic Party hypocritical. For the policy goals of the Democratic Party to be hypocritical they'd have to actively court the vote of those who are concerned about the environment but not follow through on the policy agenda they promise in doing so. By and large I think they avoid that trap. You may disagree (and I certainly don't think the policy is aggressive enough), but that's a separate discussion. By contrast the GOP are inherently hypocritical, without addressing the behavior of any particular politician, because they pretend to be the party of fiscal responsibility but as soon as they're in power they deliberately and predictably run up the national debt to favor their preferred interests.

3. The violent fringes of BLM/Antifa/etc. Just because Trump used them as a go-to boogeyman for everything, doesn't mean we don't need to be rid of them. Just as we should be prosecuting every single one of those fuckwads that entered the Capitol, we should do the same that have destroyed people's businesses or government property while flying the flag of a legitimate cause. Sure, absolutely. But make the case for me why this is a Democratic Party issue. I'm sure you can find an inflammatory quote from a house member or two but show me where the leadership of the party endorsed or encouraged this behavior? (Again, contrast and compare).

4. Throwing money at education with no accountability, student loan forgiveness, pandering to teacher's unions (who are pulling a McConnell-level obstruction of getting kids back in schools) Too much to write on this one but my starting point is not being a fan of unions in the public sector or student loan forgiveness (without paired efforts to trim cost increases). So I suspect we actually agree on this.

If you're trying to understand the moderate Republican, the above is why a large number of people held their noses and voted for Trump 2016 and even in 2020 (for what it's worth, like Brandon I didn't in either case). Unfortunately opposing those things got you lumped in with the evangelical and white nationalist (or both) wackos and here the Republican party is.

I voted for Biden as both an anti-Trump message and because I believed he would lead from the center and provide competence in the Executive branch, so we can start debating policy from the center as well.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Georgia...about Marjorie [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
jmh wrote:
Nutella wrote:

I do not see how showing support for her child and the bill she was voting on today is wrestling with a pig.

People like Greene want to pretend that Trans people do not exist.

Fair. But she directed he show of support for her child at MTG, who has made herself well known for being offensive and willing to do and say anything. It was at best equal parts show of support and picking a fight with a "pig."

If it was a show of support only, she could have framed it was such in her tweet. Something like "I've put a transgender flag out in front of my office as a sign of solidary and support of the Equality Act" Instead, she decided to begin the wrestling when she tweeted this "Our neighbor, @RepMTG , tried to block the Equality Act because she believes prohibiting discrimination against trans Americans is “disgusting, immoral, and evil. Thought we’d put up our Transgender flag so she can look at it every time she opens her door"

She clearly wanted to pick a fight on twitter with MTG. So MTG gave her one.

There are better ways to fight the good fight than doing so on Twitter if you are a Congressional Rep. No issue with Newman's point of view or her support of her child, but rather the forum and method she chose to do it.

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Feb 25, 21 12:44
Quote Reply

Prev Next