Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow?
Quote | Reply
It seems like espn+ has most of the Italian league?

So this seems like to be the easiest path to follow a league.

Not sure if I want to pay 60 for the year to follow champions league. Although I should prob just cance espn plus and watch that.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Premier League on NBC's suite of networks
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [sosayusall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
English Premier League is probably the best choice because:

1. Loads of access to watch. Both via the official TV channels and streamed on the internet.
2. Loads of English language reporting / analysis / gossip / etc. It seems like half the British tabloids are devoted to EPL, the rest to the sex lives of British celebrities.
3. The football is pretty decent - loads of top talent spread throughout the top 6 clubs. Italian, Spanish and Bundeslega all have their talent concentrated in the top 1,2 or 3 clubs with a big drop off after that.

And then there is always ESPN Ocho with the Bulgarian League....

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one with the sweetest eye candy. That's how I choose which World Cup games to watch, at least.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EPL and Champions League are the most entertaining. Historically Serie A is lower scoring and more defensive.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Premier league is the one to watch, preferably you should become a Chelsea supporter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Premier League. English speaking commentary and coverage, often fun to watch, and if you're into it, bigger US cities will often have a fan club or local bar where fans get together to watch matches (non-pandemic times obviously).
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as others have said - the EPL.

The whole package that NBC delivers is really good. The commentary is on-site - not in a distant studio; and has a bit of wit in addition to being knowledgeable. The studio team is great - whoever is there to accompany Rebecca. The league also has a lot of money and distributes it more evenly than others, helping most games be competitive and a relatively high standard.

........i've been a Leeds fan for 50 years and things are good now but i wouldn't encourage others to join me in supporting them. Will take years off your life.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok so it looks like the epl it is.

Is the best way (cheapest) service right now peacock (5 a month).
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [SWEDE63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SWEDE63 wrote:
Premier league is the one to watch, preferably you should become a Chelsea supporter.

Chelski? No thanks. My favorite team is whoever is playing Chelsea ;)

I grew up in England. Some of the clubs I followed as a kid, like West Brom and QPR, are not even in the EPL anymore. Spurs have frustrated me a lot over the years. These days I am more interested in Champions League.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got 3 very good British friends and we will do a weekly prediction contest. One is a Chelsea supporter, second is a Spurs supporter and final is unfortunately for him a R's supporter. He often laments that the R's are on the 50 year rebuilding project.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SWEDE63 wrote:
I got 3 very good British friends and we will do a weekly prediction contest. One is a Chelsea supporter, second is a Spurs supporter and final is unfortunately for him a R's supporter. He often laments that the R's are on the 50 year rebuilding project.

How many times a weekend does the Chelsea supporter say "Quarter Pound of Rubbish" to the QPR fan? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am curious to know your nationality and what has caused you to want to start following soccer. FWIW I am American and follow the premiership.

One of the weirdest things for me to figure out is how there seem to be what I would call "sub goals" to a teams season. And these sub goals can have a major effect on how the teams approach matches. I think the main goal is to win the Champions League which funny enough isn't the Premierships Championship. But then you have finishing top of the table, and as an American you would think oh that must be the goal of each team when you see the standings. Oh did I mention the FA cup as well. What about that one. It's important also depending on who you talk to. Then you have the Derbys. (oh did i say DER-BEE) sorry chaps i meant to say London DAR-BEES.

For certain EPL is king, its a great league and a great sport. Have fun getting into it. No commercials rule.

(I didn't even mention the stadium experiences (pre pandemic of course), very different from what you may expect... Wheres my beer?)
Last edited by: TravelingTri: Feb 2, 21 9:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give me a minute and I'll ask my friends this question.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
American. I used to follow soccer somewhat. (Played in college). Essentially I haven’t followed sports at all the last couple of years (young kids).

So I am going to be getting back to watching something. I figured might give soccer a try.

I have passing knowledge of what is successful seasons for various clubs. Winning/top 4/not relegated/etc.

But just looking to watch something on the trainer. Queuing up tv shows can be a headache for an extra 3-4 hours a week.

I am actually down for any sports that has 3-4 hours of programming a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
SWEDE63 wrote:

I grew up in England. Some of the clubs I followed as a kid, like West Brom and QPR, are not even in the EPL anymore. Spurs have frustrated me a lot over the years. These days I am more interested in Champions League.

The Baggies are back!
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
The one with the sweetest eye candy. That's how I choose which World Cup games to watch, at least.

I think the wife agrees, though she won't admit it. The staring and drooling pretty much gives it away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Premier League for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
according to my QPR friend based on the latest results the blues fan would be saying that a fair bit.
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
Nutella wrote:
SWEDE63 wrote:

The Baggies are back!

Oh, you are right! Bottom of the table but they are there. Playing Spurs this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my primer:

EPL - Most parity (the Big 6), tends to be the more intense/end-to-end, many rivalries, not always beautiful soccer often times down to fixture congestion, and too much park the bus soccer in big games.

La Liga - Really a three team league (Real, Barca, Athelti), home to some of the greatest in the game, the most beautiful soccer at times, intense rivalries, detraction is the public bullshit between the boards/coaches/players, but Messi

Serie A - It's really a four team league (Milan, Inter, Juve, Roma), very spirited rivalries, lots of falling down/flailing/gamesmanship, big games tend to live up to billing but sometimes are marred by professional fouling, too many PKs

Bundesliga - Bayern and everyone else, some really nice flowing soccer and high scoring games, but hard to get excited when Bayern is often times well out of touch halfway through a season.

League MX - Chaos, spirited rivalries, lots of falling down/flailing/gamesmanship, big games are intense and generally live up to their billing, just fun to watch if not always the best soccer

MLS - General parity outside of a handful of bottom dwellers, improving due to the quality of strikers/midfielders coming into the league offset by the export of exciting youngsters, a little disjointed at times, but easier to connect to the players
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
as others have said - the EPL.

The whole package that NBC delivers is really good. The commentary is on-site - not in a distant studio; and has a bit of wit in addition to being knowledgeable. The studio team is great - whoever is there to accompany Rebecca. The league also has a lot of money and distributes it more evenly than others, helping most games be competitive and a relatively high standard.

........i've been a Leeds fan for 50 years and things are good now but i wouldn't encourage others to join me in supporting them. Will take years off your life.

Another nod for EPL here. NBC does such a good job with it and Rebecca Lowe is one of the best studio hosts for any sport.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate football..............
Quote Reply
Re: I am starting to watch soccer. What league should I follow? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Years ago I would have agreed with you. There probably wasn't a bigger hater of football. Then my British friends took me to see Chelsea play the Mexican national team at Jerry World in Arlington. To see the skill the players possessed amazed me then and continues to amaze me. I was able to see the Blues play a few summers ago at the Rose Bowl versus Liverpool and my love of the Blues began. I was able to tour Stamford Bridge a couple summers ago and was amazed how a stadium was squeezed into a neighborhood. Next goal is to see them play at Stamford Bridge once we rid ourselves of Covid.
Quote Reply

Prev Next