Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: can't compete without a shirt [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I routinley see triathletes sun burned to heck, or with leathery wrinkled skin from way too much sun exposure or nearly freezing to death from wearing a too little clothing while training or racing."

i'm with you, bro. i've raced with a top for years. i NEVER race bare from the waist up (nor do i ride/run with speedos).

i ride and run in a sleeveless cycling jersey, unless it's cold, in which case i'm bundled like nanook of the north (i HATE being cold). i had something like a 7 minute swim-to-bike transition in wildflower one year, because it was so damned cold and i dressed for it. it was the only year i've made the top-3 in my AG in that race.

i don't dislike the rule because i want to race shirtless, i just dislike the whole idea of rules in triathlon, save those absolutely necessary.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the best example i can think of where the government which governs least governs the best

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Dan,

Very well said.

I am also a USAT member and totally believe this is not about wearing a shirt or not but somebody trying to tell me what to wear for a race.Triathlon is a fairly new sport but nevertheless has a tradition of guys racing without shirts.

On a side note I do not race without a shirt but I want my options to be open.As I said before anybody who is offended from a man who is not wearing a shirt have serious issues.They also have the option of looking the other way.

I would also cancel my membership if the committee passes a rule telling me to wear a shirt or man bra or whatever.

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But why a rule, couldn't it be left up to the individual RD? If the particular community was likely to have a problem with shirtless races, shirts could be required for that race.
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [doubleplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Imagine what the NFL, NHL or MLB would be like if they had had the same attitude through their history.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Imagine what the NFL, NHL or MLB would be like if they had had the same attitude through their history.

Pay me a million dollars a year (much less 8, 10, 15 million a year) -- And you can tell me what uniform to wear - what clothes to wear to a press conferance - what clothes to wear on an airplane etc. etc.
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]
Imagine what the NFL, NHL or MLB would be like if they had had the same attitude through their history. [/reply]

Pay me a million dollars a year (much less 8, 10, 15 million a year) -- And you can tell me what uniform to wear - what clothes to wear to a press conferance - what clothes to wear on an airplane etc. etc.[/reply]

Apparently that point was on that airplane that flew over your head. Think about some of the rules that have been put into those sports and where they would be with the attitude displayed here about something as stupid as wearing a shirt. I am surprised that many of you are not trying to repeal helmet rules in races.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leave it up to the RD period. If a RD finds they have a problem and feels that they need to make a rule, then so be it.

I can not believe this is even an issue at the national level. Doesn't USAT or ITU or whatever have better things to do then to add this as a rule or even bring it up for a vote.
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"I also think we should be sensitive to local preferences."

agreed. i think we also ought to be sensitive to our own sport's major themes. i think we can do both at the same time. triathlon -- essentially an individual, maverick, boundary-testing phenomenon -- represents the best example i can think of where the government which governs least governs the best. there are no churchgoers crossing the ride or run course on which a certain percentage of Wildflower's 9000 participants are shirtless -- and a certain number of its aid station volunteers are more than shirtless ;-)

as has been brought to the attention of you and mike by others during this discussion, USAT allows RDs the right to add rules that USAT does not mandate. this discussion is a little like federal versus state's rights. USAT ought to have a minimum standard, and if RDs want to impose additional rules, let them do so according, as you wisely state, to "local preferences." it seems hard to me to reconcile the idea of "national rule" with the idea of being "sensitive to local preferences."

if USAT just added to its sanction package a note about the sensitivities of certain urban or conservate communities to this issue, the RD can judge for himself what's appropriate for his race. if you impose yet another rule, and another, you're throwing rule-weary RDs into NATA's arms (and there's always going to be a NATA-like organization waiting to take advantage of USAT's missteps).

why don't you figure out which rules you really need? and then resist the temptation to levy additional rules, and please let us not bring the itu's desire for "global rules" into this very provincial issue. if/when the ITU actually does honor (i mean TRULY honor) those elements of triathlon other than pro and junior ITU racing, then it's earned the right to ask for global rules. until then, USAT ought to resist the urge to scratch the ITU's back if it means turning its own back on its constituents. please don't let global rules enter into this issue EXCEPT where there is a global commitment to that element of the sport (such as those few ITU-style races in the U.S.). otherwise, we're going to end up with a set of rules that all the world's "local communities" can live with. i personally don't want a set of rules that takes into consideration the sensibilities of those who live in cyprus, or iceland, or morocco.

you can always add this shirt/shirtless rule later if it becomes an imminent need. until then, the sport in the U.S. is keeping an eye on USAT, to see whether it's earning the right to expect our loyalties over GTG, NATA, and whatever else may come.

Dan Empfield
excellent post. very compelling arguments.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [bigtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The biggest shock/surprise to me regarding this thread is that more vain athletes haven't used it as another opportunity to post a pic of themselves... esp that they can post one here shirtless. Shocking.
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you did squats you might be able to beat that chick out of transition, Ken...

;-P
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [davejakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< May I see the science behind that statement. My perception is: in hot, humid weather, any shirt, any material feels hotter to me. When the water in the material can't evaporate, how can it be cooler?

1: Ergonomics. 2004 Aug 15;47(10):1073-86. Related Articles, Links

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2001 Aug;33(8):1385-6. Related Articles, Links

Ultraviolet exposure in the Ironman triathlon.

Moehrle M.

Department of Dermatology, University of Tuebingen, Germany. matthias.moehrle@med.uni-tuebingen.de

PURPOSE: Skin cancer is increasing worldwide and exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation is thought to be the most important environmental risk factor. People practicing outdoor sports are exposed to considerable amounts of UV radiation from the sun. METHODS: Three triathletes participated in the Ironman Triathlon World Championships 1999 in Hawaii (3.9-km swim, 180.2-km bike, 42.4-km run). They attached Bacillus subtilis spore film dosimeters (VioSpor) on the back between their shoulders. The dosimeter system measured cumulative biologically weighted erythemal UV exposure. UV exposure is given in minimal erythema doses (1 MED corresponds to 250 J x m(-2) at 298 nm). RESULTS: The mean personal UV exposure was 8.3 MED (6.9--9.7 MED) after 8:43 to 9:44 h of competition corresponding to 0.8 to 1.3 MED x h(-1) (bike and run). The athletes were sunburned despite the use of water-resistant sunscreen (SPF 25+) on sun exposed skin. CONCLUSION: The International Radiation Protection Agency has issued guidelines for professional UV exposure. Ironman triathletes considerably exceeded these limits of exposure similar to other outdoor sports. Professional and amateur athletes should be aware of hazards caused by UV radiation. Adequate protection by water-resistant sunscreens and clothing as well as training and competition schedules with low sun exposure seem to be a reasonable recommendation.

PMID: 11474342 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Cardiovascular and thermal consequences of protective clothing: a comparison of clothed and unclothed states. Fogarty A, Armstrong K, Gordon C, Groeller H, Woods B, Stocks J, Taylor N. Humn Performance Laboratories Department of Biomedical Science University of Wollongong Australia.

We have undertaken a laboratory-based examination of the cardiovascular and thermal impact of wearing thermal (heat) protective clothing during fatiguing exercise in the heat. Seven males completed semi-recumbent, intermittent cycling (39.6 degrees C, 45% relative humidity) wearing either protective clothing or shorts (control). Mean core and skin temperatures, cardiac frequency (f(c)), stroke volume (Q), cardiac output (Q), arterial pressure, forearm blood flow (Q(f)), plasma volume change, and sweat rates were measured. In the clothed trials, subjects experienced significantly shorter times to fatigue (52.5 vs. 58.9 min), at lower peak work rates (204.3 vs. 277.4 W), and with higher core (37.9 degrees vs. 37.5 degrees C) and mean skin temperatures (37.3 degrees vs. 36.9 degrees C). There was a significant interaction between time and clothing on f(c), such that, over time, the clothing effect became more powerful. Clothing had a significant main affect on Q, but not Q, indicating the higher Q was chronotropically driven. Despite a greater sweat loss when clothed (923.0 vs. 547.1 g.m(-2) x h(-1); P<0.05), Q(f) and plasma volume change remained equivalent. Protective clothing reduced exercise tolerance, but did not affect overall cardiovascular function, at the point of volitional fatigue. It was concluded that, during moderately heavy, semi-recumbent exercise under hot, dry conditions, the strain on the unclothed body was already high, such that the additional stress imparted by the clothing ensemble represented a negligible, further impact upon cardiovascular stability.

PMID: 15370864 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2001 Dec;33(12):2124-30. Related Articles, Links

Clothing fabric does not affect thermoregulation during exercise in moderate heat. Gavin TP, Babington JP, Harms CA, Ardelt ME, Tanner DA, Stager JM. Department of inesiology, Human Performance Laboratory, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA. gavint@mail.ecu.edu

PURPOSE: We investigated whether temperature regulation is improved during exercise in moderate heat by the use of clothing constructed from fabric that was purported to promote sweat evaporation compared with traditional fabrics. METHODS: Eight well-trained, euhydrated males performed three exercise bouts wearing garments made from an evaporative polyester fabric (SYN), wearing garments made from traditional cotton fabric (COT), or dressed seminude (S-N) in random order. Bouts consisted of 15 min seated rest, 30 min running at 70% .VO(2max), 15 min walking at 40% .VO(2max), and 15 min seated rest, all at 30 +/- 1 degrees C and 35 +/- 5% relative humidity. COT and SYN clothing ensembles consisted of crew neck, short sleeve T-shirts, cycling shorts, and anklet socks made from their respective materials, and running shoes. The S-N condition consisted of a Lycra swim suit, polyester socks, and running shoes. RESULTS: Mean skin temperature was lower for S-N during preexercise rest when compared with SYN and COT. No differences in mean body temperature, rectal temperature, or mean skin temperature were observed during or after exercise. No differences in VO2 or heart rate were observed. No differences in comfort sensations were observed. CONCLUSION: In summary, before, during, or after exercise in a moderately warm environmental condition, neither the addition of a modest amount of clothing nor the fabric characteristics of this clothing alters physiological, thermoregulatory, or comfort sensation responses.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you did squats you might be able to beat that chick out of transition, Ken...

;-P
Ain't me. :-P back at ya.
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

We have undertaken a laboratory-based examination of the cardiovascular and thermal impact of wearing thermal (heat) protective clothing during fatiguing exercise in the heat. Seven males completed semi-recumbent, intermittent cycling (39.6 degrees C, 45% relative humidity) wearing either protective clothing or shorts (control).

I think I've done a grant total of one tri where the relative humidity was as low as 45%. 60% is normally the minimum humidity, and there are times the humidity will be 85% at the start. (And you might be a Southern triathlete when the air temperature has already hit 83F for the day as the sun comes up) Sweat just does not evaporate properly for cooling purposes in those conditions, and a lot of people find that shirts or singlets even further impair proper sweat evaporation.
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To add to what Fla Jill said, at Great Floridian last year, the temperature in the late afternoon was 85 degrees. The average humidity for the day was 84%, the high humidity was 93%, and the low humidity was 63% (Orlando data from weatherunderground). I wore a cycling shirt for the ride (I don't doubt that the shirt protected me from the sun and kept me cooler), and I started the run carrying a coolmax shirt. (Side note, bottomfeeder was walking shirtless in the transition area, having completed the half. He's in good shape and I'm sure the ladies were glad he was shirtless.) It was overcast, hot, and humid. I never put on my shirt. It was just too hot. I apologize to the citizens of Clermont, all racers, and out of town spectators for the sight. I can't believe that on that hot, humid evening, I would have been cooler wearing a shirt. Note, it was overcast when I started running, and I finished in the dark. The sun was not a factor. If you are aware of a study showing that in very humid weather, when the sun is not a factor, a shirt will make a racer cooler, I'd appreciate it if you pass it on as I may have to change my thinking.

Wait, on second thought, perhaps I did wear a "shirt." I carried a reflective running vest, one of the old style ones made of orange mesh with a reflective rectangular orange panel on front and back. It is open on the sides. When the sun went down, I put it on. I'm sure I looked like a dork (but better than manbra), but I don't think they could have penalized me for failure to comply with the reflective material rule. Many racers and spectators told me, "nice shirt." If the new USAT rule passes, I'll have request an opinion as to whether the vest qualifies as a "shirt." Of course, my first course of action will be to lobby Fred Sommers get insurance from someone other than USAT.

HH

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [HH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
(Side note, bottomfeeder was walking shirtless in the transition area, having completed the half. He's in good shape and I'm sure the ladies were glad he was shirtless.)
BottomFeeder is such a dreamboat.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply

Prev Next