Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: can't compete without a shirt [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still don't get it. Is this a religious thing? Should the women triathletes be required to wear veils so that anyone going to and from their mosques are not scandalized (or are we just worried about the Baptists)?
We see topless males running, biking, swimming, rollerblading and walking all over Chicagoland, and not just in races. When did topless males become a social taboo?
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vitus may I ask what you wear when you're out there racing?

Oh, I keep my wetsuit on the whole time.

What do you mean, what do I wear? I wear the same thing just about everyone else wears- tri shorts and a top. And shoes.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that you on the right Vitus?

-----------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: BottomFeeder: Mar 8, 06 14:56
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [MPB1950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When did topless males become a social taboo?

When six hundred sickly looking ones clogged up a small towns roads for half a day, grossing out the population.

But hey, you got first amendment rights, and whatnot. Whatever. So much for being a good guest, I suppose.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<< I prefer to go shirtless because it is cooler, more aero on the bike

wrong and wrong. Wearing a shirt actually helps to keep the body cooler. If it was cooler to not wear a top, then why doesn't anyone go shirtless at some fo ther eal hot weather races like Badwater? A lot of the races there wear long sleeve tops for two reasons, sun protection and to keep the body cooler. Not necessarily more aero on the bike either. A good fitting top helps smooth out the air flow over a hairy chest. Now going topless would be more aero then wearing a big baggy t-shirt though.

To Rockfish:

<< Does anyone think contacting them will make any differance in the decision making process?

yes it will. I am one of 11 that will vote on this issue. I've had enough people contact me that don't want this rule so that is the way that I will vote. I would suggest that you find out who your board representative is for your region and contact them. Let them know that you don't support this rule and give them some good concrete reasons why. It's called democracy and it's surprising how well it works when you work with it.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"WIW, I haven't seen a triathlon that didn't require a top."

Are you usually able to beat most of Santa's elves. How about Mrs. Claus? I understand she is quite a runner.
Last edited by: MPB1950: Mar 8, 06 15:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

sickly looking ones?

sounds to me like you just don't like skinny triathletes. Did any of these sickly guys beat your ass?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I wear the same thing just about everyone else wears- tri shorts and a top. And shoes.

I got news for you, whoever finds men running shirtless distasteful won't look kindly on your gay tight lycra outfit either. If you shave your legs, you're already a queer in their book.

Either stop defending the idiots or cover yourself up from head to toe.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, but I've raced both with and without shirts and, when it's 90 degrees plus, I'm cooler, more aero on the bike (I don't like those tight fitting tri-tops), and lighter on the run when I go shirtless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sickly looking ones?

sounds to me like you just don't like skinny triathletes.

Ha! I am one of the skinny, sickly looking ones. Though slower than most of the others, I grant.

How much time can I make up by ditching that oh-so-heavy shirt?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please inform them that the contact link they have set up does not work. The address is tbd@____. I guess their contact person to receive comments is still to be determined.

HH

I'm not paying my renewal till I know that this rule has been killed.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's cool ;-)

science doesn't agree with you, but to each his own. Like I said, I don't agree with the rule and won't vote for it, but I do wear a top in every race, it keeps me cooler and is more aero for me :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Decent response:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Re: can't compete without a shirt [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would any of our friends who race ACOTUS (any country outside the US) chime in? Shirt required or not? If you are a woman who races ACOTUS, is the sports bra acceptable or is a coverup required. I think the sports bra meets the regulation.

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [HH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< Please inform them that the contact link they have set up does not work. The address is tbd@____. I guess their contact person to receive comments is still to be determined.

they've been informed of that. Like I said though, for better action, contact your national board person for your region, that is who is actually voting on it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mike.

Count me in as one who does not like wearing shirts while racing.
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [bigtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now why can't they have that rule at NFL football games regarding the fans? I had to see some really ugly bellies last football season on tv.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"But I can certainly see how a member of the general public would prefer not to look at an endless stream of mostly naked, huffing and puffing, gangly triathletes shuffle by while he waits for the road to clear so he can get home from breakfast on Sunday morning. "

--------------------

and you think adding shirts is going to make him more excited to wait to get home from breakfast?

I just don't believe that running or biking without a shirt on a causing any races to be cancelled. If someone is disgusted by topless male triathletes, I think they will find tight lycra shorts (hardly mainstream ya know) offensive as well.
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and you think adding shirts is going to make him more excited to wait to get home from breakfast?

I think mainly it's a matter of courtesy and neighborliness. No, it isn't going to cause any races to get cancelled. But why irritate people in their own backyard over something so trivial as this?

Whatever, though. I can see that this is obviously the issue that's going to rouse the USAT membership to arms. "Hell, no, you can't make me wear a shirt! Who are you, the Taliban?!"

Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [Afleet Alex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would any of our friends who race ACOTUS (any country outside the US) chime in? Shirt required or not? If you are a woman who races ACOTUS, is the sports bra acceptable or is a coverup required. I think the sports bra meets the regulation.

Alex
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anything goes in Phuket(Thailand)triathlon.

http://www.lagunaphuket.com/...y/photo_2005-05.html

Greg Bennet (pro) winner 2005

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
<< Please inform them that the contact link they have set up does not work. The address is tbd@____. I guess their contact person to receive comments is still to be determined.

they've been informed of that. Like I said though, for better action, contact your national board person for your region, that is who is actually voting on it.
Quote Reply
Re: can't compete without a shirt [John,eh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops, let me try that again......

I'll be taking Mike P's advice & contacting my rep. I'll encourage him/her to vote against changing the rule.

Instead of mandating a change to all, the "offended" venues can simply request a rule waiver with their sanction application to require all participants wear shirts/cover their tops at their particular venue.

This is the same process IMNA used for years to require tops in their races when they were using USAT rules (ahh, the good old days). So the method is in place for each venue to get what they want rather than mandating a change. The RD just has to reqest it and thus make it a "local" rule.

Everybody gets what they want with no rule change.

JA
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: can't compete without a shirt [doubleplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The majority of people at Phuket triathlon *do* wear a shirt.

I've done races in 1/2 dozen countries in all conditions (including Thailand) and have always worn a shirt.

I have no problem if the rule is implemented - but then, I have no say as I am outside the US.
Quote Reply

Prev Next